playing online

today i tried to play online but how do i get into online mode? does my version (installed from the DVDs, not updated) have that option? when i load the game, the options i get are social club which requires me to log into playstation network (not gonna happen because of sony's privacy policy) and story mode which is of course not online. so how do i get into online mode?

You need to be logged into PSN in order to play RDOnline.  If I had to guess, you also don't have a PS+ account, right?  That is something that is also required.

I'm not sure exactly what your concerns are with your IP, aversion to TOU / EULA agreements, etc. (quite honestly, it makes no difference to me), but you're not going to be able to play RDO or many other online games unless you log into the PSN network and also have a PS+ account established.   ....and btw, the game also needs to be updated before you can even join an online game and again, that's not going to happen until you are logged in.

That's just how it is.  The other choice is to just play the campaign offline as I'm assuming you have been doing up to this point.  

Yeah, it's this way for most games that you would need a PS+ subscription and all require to be logged into the PS Network.  ....and since you are on their network, you have to agree to their Terms of Use, etc.  ....and typically the TOU / EULA of the game you're playing through their company.

I really don't mean to be dismissive of your concerns re privacy, but Sony's privacy policy isn't that different to Microsoft's, your ISP, or any other large corporation.  I'd hazard a guess that you're implicitly accepting the terms of laxer privacy policies in your every day life on the internet.

I don't use PS+ simply because of the cost involved and the fact that the content isn't as good as Microsoft's Game Pass.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:28 PM, harry747 said:

well, so much for playing online 😞

Only the PC will let you play Red Dead Online without subscribing to any service. I’m not a fan of paying it either, but it cuts down many problems with PC online gaming and is enforced in terms of rules so in a way, it is worth it for me.