Jump to content

How to get the best animal pelts?


eddywatson
 Share

Recommended Posts

You have to use your best weapons and use the best ammo for the specific kill. The small game you would want to use like small game arrows as an example. Most are obvious but if you are not sure, just buy different ammo and test it for yourself. I believe the shot also matters so try to go for head shots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eddywatson said:

How to get the best animal pelts? 

hello
The animal pelts have a star rating of 1 2 or 3, every single animal I kill is either 1 or 2 stars... how do you get 3 stars?

the more bullets you put in them the lower the rating?

Thank you

Go after the legendary buck.....this will increase your chances on a 3 star pelt.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eddywatson said:

How to get the best animal pelts? 

hello
The animal pelts have a star rating of 1 2 or 3, every single animal I kill is either 1 or 2 stars... how do you get 3 stars?

the more bullets you put in them the lower the rating?

Thank you

Study the animal,  then press RB/R1 to see the details.  It will tell you which weapons is best for the animal. Some have 2 weapons you can use to get perfect hides.

Headshots are the best way, or when your dead eye is leveled up you can see their vitals. 

I just do head shots, to easy for me to miss a viral and ruin the perfect hide I been hunting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kormath said:

Study the animal,  then press RB/R1 to see the details.  It will tell you which weapons is best for the animal. Some have 2 weapons you can use to get perfect hides.

Headshots are the best way, or when your dead eye is leveled up you can see their vitals. 

I just do head shots, to easy for me to miss a viral and ruin the perfect hide I been hunting.

Exactly what Kormath wrote. Took me ages to get to grips with the hunting. Headshots always needed, but you don't need to worry about headshots on small game with small game arrows. Just go for the body. I think the same applies to birds, just a body shot should do. Only one shot though, more than that will lower the quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As mentioned above, hunt the legendary buck; get a trinket made. Adds a star to all pelts. The purist way would be to study animals through binoculars. Once known, the tips will mention what weapon yields the best results. I've done the second part, doing the first is on today's agenda. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Varmint rifle is also perfect for small game.

Auto aim to full, legendary buck trinket, varmint rifle on horseback.

Just cruise around pressing and re-pressing that aim button and when it locks on (if you've studied the animal you'll see the stars), wherever the red dot goes....ya bang. 

Perfect pelts await.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rick249kdr said:

Auto aim to full, legendary buck trinket, varmint rifle on horseback.

I have found this to be the most efficient method, especially on small-game critters.  The elevation from horseback makes it easier to pick them up as they move through the grass/underbrush when your Eagle Eye is on cooldown.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, houseofcantor said:

As mentioned above, hunt the legendary buck; get a trinket made. Adds a star to all pelts. The purist way would be to study animals through binoculars. Once known, the tips will mention what weapon yields the best results. I've done the second part, doing the first is on today's agenda. ;)

that works for good or better pelts.  I have the trinket, and most of the deer i'm finding now even with it are poor.  All i need are 2 perfect deer pelts, and all i see are poor, poor, and more poor.

Maybe i need to equip the trinket?  I thought you just had to have it made for the bonus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Kormath said:

that works for good or better pelts.  I have the trinket, and most of the deer i'm finding now even with it are poor.  All i need are 2 perfect deer pelts, and all i see are poor, poor, and more poor.

Maybe i need to equip the trinket?  I thought you just had to have it made for the bonus.

Well that sucks. I just got it then immediately took a break to watch more Stoopidnatural. And trinkets are automatic I think, only seen talismans equippable from the wardrobe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, houseofcantor said:

Well that sucks. I just got it then immediately took a break to watch more Stoopidnatural. And trinkets are automatic I think, only seen talismans equippable from the wardrobe. 

you know what.  I restored my game last night, and probably hadn't had the trinket remade again.  Just realized that.  I'll check tonight and verify.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Kormath said:

you know what.  I restored my game last night, and probably hadn't had the trinket remade again.  Just realized that.  I'll check tonight and verify.

From my experience the trinket does not ADD a star to your hunt, I mean at least for me, or I understood the trinket wrong and when I see a 2* it means it would be a 1*, but now that I have the trinket it's a 2?
What happens to me is when I kill a 2 star I still get good pelt from it, BUT if I mess up a 3 star and it lowers it to a 2 star I may still get a perfect pelt, sometimes it happens sometimes it's lowered to a good one like it should be.

 

14 hours ago, Smash_N_Grab- said:

... you don't need to worry about headshots on small game with small game arrows. Just go for the body.

Except for snakes, my tip would be: use a small game arrow, follow it until it prepares to attack and shoot it in the head. It's the easiest way to guarantee a perfet skin, I got a body hit on a snake and it still went on and about, the second shot killed it but lowered it to a 1 star rating. <- Maybe I'm just unlucky tho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bonzai said:

Except for snakes, my tip would be: use a small game arrow, follow it until it prepares to attack and shoot it in the head. It's the easiest way to guarantee a perfet skin, I got a body hit on a snake and it still went on and about, the second shot killed it but lowered it to a 1 star rating. <- Maybe I'm just unlucky tho.

Nope, same thing happened to me.  Headshot is the only way to get a perfect snake skin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Smash_N_Grab- said:

I must be very lucky, never tried for a headshot but always get a perfect snake skin.

maybe your hitting their head anyway?   I'll have to try it and see tonight.  I still need 1 perfect skin for the camp upgrade.  Pretty positive though that shooting them in the body lowered the pelt. 

Do you have the trinket that raises their star rating?  maybe that's it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kormath said:

maybe your hitting their head anyway?   I'll have to try it and see tonight.  I still need 1 perfect skin for the camp upgrade.  Pretty positive though that shooting them in the body lowered the pelt. 

Do you have the trinket that raises their star rating?  maybe that's it.

Which trinket? I've got a talisman I think from the pre-order bonus. I've upgraded camp fully and got legend of east satchel but haven't made anything out of legendary animals yet. I need to get a bull for the legendary bear outfit but don't want to piss the farmers off by killing their bulls 😔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Smash_N_Grab- said:

Which trinket? I've got a talisman I think from the pre-order bonus. I've upgraded camp fully and got legend of east satchel but haven't made anything out of legendary animals yet. I need to get a bull for the legendary bear outfit but don't want to piss the farmers off by killing their bulls 😔

Spoiler

Trinket you get from killing the Legendary Buck, a Fence will craft it for you.

And i think @Bonzai is right, i've seen 1 star animals carrying the trinket, if it worked the way i was thinking you'd never see a 1 star.

Edited by Kormath
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...