First encounter of grieifng.

Saltyballs

Had a pretty annoying interaction with a group of trolls earlier, I'd just completed a mission when bam spawn killed. I decided to track down the individual and proceeded to kill him over and over until he learned his lesson (which wasn't hard he was terrible at pvp). Next thing I know I have four of them descending on me, I was low on ammo, on foot and on pretty flat land with very little cover. They easily killed me at a ratio of 5-1 for a good 30 minutes but I refused to let these idiots demotivate me, when my ammo finally depleted I messaged the leader and told them that "if you f**s want to keep 4 vs 1 like tough guys I'll be right back soon as I got more ammo". 

Guess what that little sh*thead decided to do? He reported me to Xbox live for using abusive language and now I have a message ban for 24 hours. Can you believe that? I get harassed and then banned for my troubles. Moral of the story: be careful what you type to these trolls and keep it clean no matter how annoyed you are.   

Edited by Saltyballs

9 hours ago, Saltyballs said:

Had a pretty annoying interaction with a group of trolls earlier, I'd just completed a mission when bam spawn killed. I decided to track down the individual and proceeded to kill him over and over until he learned his lesson (which wasn't hard he was terrible at pvp). Next thing I know I have four of them descending on me, I was low on ammo, on foot and on pretty flat land with very little cover. They easily killed me at a ratio of 5-1 for a good 30 minutes but I refused to let these idiots demotivate me, when my ammo finally depleted I messaged the leader and told them that "if you f**s want to keep 4 vs 1 like tough guys I'll be right back soon as I got more ammo". 

Guess what that little sh*thead decided to do? He reported me to Xbox live for using abusive language and now I have a message ban for 24 hours. Can you believe that? I get harassed and then banned for my troubles. Moral of the story: be careful what you type to these trolls and keep it clean no matter how annoyed you are.   

Little tip from a very sweary, loud mouth Scot.. Never message anyone that you don't know with something your mother wouldn't want to receive. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Found out last night that your camp may keep you safe from being shot, but it won't  protect you from being lassoed and hogtied. I was crafting at my campfire when an asshole did that to me from behind and I couldn't  shoot him due to us being in camp. He did accidentally step in my campfire once and lit himself on fire. That was amusing and I did manage to bait him out of the camp and shoot him in the head, but he still wouldn't leave me alone, so I ended up changing lobbies.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

Found out last night that your camp may keep you safe from being shot, but it won't  protect you from being lassoed and hogtied. I was crafting at my campfire when an asshole did that to me from behind and I couldn't  shoot him due to us being in camp. He did accidentally step in my campfire once and lit himself on fire. That was amusing and I did manage to bait him out of the camp and shoot him in the head, but he still wouldn't leave me alone, so I ended up changing lobbies.

Wow seems like that's somewhat of an oversight, I'll have to be careful around camp too now I suppose.

Last night I logged in to upgrade some gear.   I appeared out in the middle of nowhere, so I just used the catalog.  Why in the menu, a player shot me dead.  I re-spawned didn't see him around, went to back to what I was doing.  Same player did it again.  We went through this 5 times, the last time I just logged off.  Figuring some assholes just couldn't help themselves.  Obviously, I wasn't in the mood to play and had things to do.  Yet, it didn't stop him from knocking out a few freebie kills.

6 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Last night I logged in to upgrade some gear.   I appeared out in the middle of nowhere, so I just used the catalog.  Why in the menu, a player shot me dead.  I re-spawned didn't see him around, went to back to what I was doing.  Same player did it again.  We went through this 5 times, the last time I just logged off.  Figuring some assholes just couldn't help themselves.  Obviously, I wasn't in the mood to play and had things to do.  Yet, it didn't stop him from knocking out a few freebie kills.

I usually only look at my catalog inside of a post office. You're protected from griefers and anything you buy is right there to be picked up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vaderspupil said:

I usually only look at my catalog inside of a post office. You're protected from griefers and anything you buy is right there to be picked up.

I currently didn't know there was safe places to do this.  Then again when I spawned in, I didn't want to spend 15 mins traveling to an area so that I could do what should take me 5 mins and log off.  Also when I spawned in, there was no one on my map even close.  So instead spent that time just being trolled by a player that was useless in game as he is as a person outside of the game. 

I just don't get players that don't clue in, that they aren't shooting back.  Maybe, just maybe they aren't going to play with me.  Instead they seem to think, "Finally!  PvP that I can be good at.  I can now tell my friends that I'm really really good player at PvP.  Maybe they will come and help and make me a better player, by having 7v1."

16 hours ago, Saltyballs said:

Sure, they were jerks for trolling you but the sad fact is that they did nothing wrong and were playing within the game's design.  Unfortunately, you broke the rules in your response.  

Personally, I don't let people get me to the point where I would do that but that's just me.  If someone is trolling me, I will simply block them and try to escape the situation (joining a new session if needed or when possible).  .....but I also will report anyone who is using threats, slurs, etc.  

In all honesty though, I have had very few problems with griefers overall and I've been playing a lot of solo sessions.

4 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

That must be a bug.  I've also seen video of trolls trying to lasso a player while he was in camp to no avail.  

Personally, I would report the issue to R* at their feedback site:

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/online/feedback?step=addb2b0b

I would make sure to use their report feature for bugs and not just the feedback section.  I just reported an unrelated bug today having to do with merchants and someone got back to me within minutes saying that it's a known issue they are working on.  

The camps are supposed to be safe sanctuaries when your white flag is up.  I highly doubt this lasso trick is by design.

1 minute ago, Kean_1 said:

That must be a bug.  I've also seen video of trolls trying to lasso a player while he was in camp to no avail.  

Personally, I would report the issue to R* at their feedback site:

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/online/feedback?step=addb2b0b

I would make sure to use their report feature for bugs and not just the feedback section.  I just reported an unrelated bug today having to do with merchants and someone got back to me within minutes saying that it's a known issue they are working on.  

The camps are supposed to be safe sanctuaries when your white flag is up.  I highly doubt this lasso trick is by design.

It could very well have been. I couldn't seem to lasso him.

18 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Sure, they were jerks for trolling you but the sad fact is that they did nothing wrong and were playing within the game's design.  Unfortunately, you broke the rules in your response.  

Personally, I don't let people get me to the point where I would do that but that's just me.  If someone is trolling me, I will simply block them and try to escape the situation (joining a new session if needed or when possible).  .....but I also will report anyone who is using threats, slurs, etc.  

In all honesty though, I have had very few problems with griefers overall and I've been playing a lot of solo sessions.

He did cross the line, but to say they did nothing wrong either.  They spawn killed him.  Why?  Was he a threat?  We understand the game allows that, but why must it be the only way players play it out. 

Why is the answer have to be a person has to find a different server, just because player or players are just being asses?  Oh, yeah cause the game allows it and they have no self control.

@Saltyballs If you don't get banned, I would probably try to avoid personal conversations with players you play against in the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

yooooo thats pretty annoying lol..i hope they fix that

This happened last night. I passed a gang hideout, there was only one pink dot near, probably hunting cos it was up at Fort Riggs, so I cleared it (no treasure map - again) and looted the lot. Then, because I'm tidy, I started clearing the bodies and popping them on the campfire. This pinkdot cowboy came up and joined me, helped build a pile, which when they caught light was quite a sight. We friended. Then, not knowing what what else to do, I got up on my horse and shot him. Now here I have to put my hands up and say this was entirely in my control, I hit the buttons, I take responsibility, but I really was intending to wave at him. It happens, it has happened to me before, anyway. What to do..?

So I got off my horse and knelt down (rested). He waved at me at rode off. I hope that meant he took my sincere apology, but how else do you make one? There's no emote I can think of for "sorry, I meant to say hi rather than shoot you", but I can think of one emote choice I might use a lot, and it's a Western emote... "hands up"

(I know, headset audio would help, but I don't use one, never heard anything from him so assume that means he doesn't either?)

27 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

He did cross the line, but to say they did nothing wrong either.  They spawn killed him.  Why?  Was he a threat?  We understand the game allows that, but why must it be the only way players play it out. 

Why is the answer have to be a person has to find a different server, just because player or players are just being asses?  Oh, yeah cause the game allows it and they have no self control.

@Saltyballs If you don't get banned, I would probably try to avoid personal conversations with players you play against in the future.

Don't take my response as some sort of excuse for griefing / trolling or the current design of Free Roam.  That's why I used terms like "sad fact", "unfortunately", etc. 

As for leaving a session.....  If someone is getting griefed and doesn't want the leave the session or prefers to get revenge, etc. then that's their business but personally, I'd rather move on and continue enjoying the game instead of dealing with tools like these.

Having said that, I rarely run into trolls now using many of the tips several of us have shared in this forum and I've only had to leave a session twice.  Most of my interactions with strangers lately have actually been good and I'm beginning to open myself up a bit to the thought of interacting more.  

53 minutes ago, cory206 said:

This happened last night. I passed a gang hideout, there was only one pink dot near, probably hunting cos it was up at Fort Riggs, so I cleared it (no treasure map - again) and looted the lot. Then, because I'm tidy, I started clearing the bodies and popping them on the campfire. This pinkdot cowboy came up and joined me, helped build a pile, which when they caught light was quite a sight. We friended. Then, not knowing what what else to do, I got up on my horse and shot him. Now here I have to put my hands up and say this was entirely in my control, I hit the buttons, I take responsibility, but I really was intending to wave at him. It happens, it has happened to me before, anyway. What to do..?

So I got off my horse and knelt down (rested). He waved at me at rode off. I hope that meant he took my sincere apology, but how else do you make one? There's no emote I can think of for "sorry, I meant to say hi rather than shoot you", but I can think of one emote choice I might use a lot, and it's a Western emote... "hands up"

(I know, headset audio would help, but I don't use one, never heard anything from him so assume that means he doesn't either?)

i feel like you can only have one treasure map at a time, can anyone confirm this? because i dont get maps if i have one already but if i complete it and find a hideout ill get another map no problem?

54 minutes ago, cory206 said:

I did something similar. Someone rode into a scuffle I was having with NPCs and helped out.  Well, he kept changing position and I accidentally locked onto him and shot him.   ......twice lol.  The first time I said I was sorry but the second time he died.  I let him take me out without a fight but then we both rode off our separate ways.  He didn't have a mic so I couldn't communicate with him and I had no idea if he had me muted.  ....which is another big problem IMO.  No one communicates unless it's to troll or if you're in your own group.

25 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Don't take my response as some sort of excuse for griefing / trolling or the current design of Free Roam.  That's why I used terms like "sad fact", "unfortunately", etc. 

As for leaving a session.....  If someone is getting griefed and doesn't want the leave the session or prefers to get revenge, etc. then that's their business but personally, I'd rather move on and continue enjoying the game instead of dealing with tools like these.

Having said that, I rarely run into trolls now using many of the tips several of us have shared in this forum and I've only had to leave a session twice.  Most of my interactions with strangers lately have actually been good and I'm beginning to open myself up a bit to the thought of interacting more.  

Anytime I see a post where a player is excused for griefing, because it is part of the "game's design".   I think people confuse good PvP vs Griefing.  We can PvP, without the griefing and it be part of the "Game's Design".  Yes players will lose more often in a fair fight vs an ambush where  you stack the odds against your opponent so they can't fight back.  When we are done, we will "know" who was the better player that day.

Just this second some pathetic little moron lassoo's me, drags  me to death ... Me? Oh I am looking at the scenery.

Back him comes again... So I shoot  him because what option is  there

So back  he comes again, lassoo's me  ... So  I just ****ing left.

**** it, had enough of  this utter garbage... **** on line, **** R*, **** the  moronic pond life ..... Either they fix it or **** the whole thing.

Waste of my ****ing time.

34 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Anytime I see a post where a player is excused for griefing, because it is part of the "game's design".   

.....but I'm not excusing griefing, trolling, etc. based on the game's design.  That's my point.  I'm saying it happens because of it and like it or not, those trolls were allowed to be jerks because the game allows it.  Until we see how the new anti-griefing measures will change the game or other new options like private sessions, it is what it is right now.  ....right, wrong or indifferent, there it is.  In all honesty, we are in complete agreement but I don't think you see that.  I'm not excusing trolish behaviour nor am I excusing R* for allowing and even encouraging it by the way they designed Free Roam.

Now, whether you choose to let it completely consume you is up to you but for me, I'm trying to make the best of the rest of the game while they sort out the beta.  I can be a complete Debbie Downer on the whole game but if I really felt that way, I would have shelved this title by now.  There's always a chance this game may not pan out for me in the long run because I don't like the direction they take but I'll just have to see how it goes.

I never communicate with the enemy.  At best it is just a waste of time.  At worst it only serves to embolden or encourage greater heights of douchebaggery.  I've found that in gaming, just like in real life, silence makes people uncomfortable. I've found in previous games that when someone wants to mouth off or tries to engage me in taunting and such, just staying silent and continuing to kill them without response to their taunts more often than not drives them off to find more entertaining targets that will rise to their bait.  More importantly, I have also found that they tend to avoid messing with you again in the future as they remember you being "no fun" for them to mess with.  Of course, killing them again and again never hurts either. Just do it silently. And they will avoid you in the future. (mostly)

Yes I think the ultimate take away from this for me is to avoid messaging abusive players in future, as for preventative measures I've been following similar guidelines to ones recommended on these forums since day one, that's most likely why this was my first real negative experience in RDO. 

Going back to your earlier point though Kean while it is true I was in violation of Mircrosoft's service agreement by using hatespeech/abusive language; those guidelines are in place to prevent the harassment and abuse of vulnerable or sensitive individuals. Not only was I not harassing nor abusing the player (in fact the opposite was true) I highly doubt the player was even offended by my minor use of vulgarity. It's pretty evident he abused the report system to further abuse and harass me so I do take issue with the implication that I did anything wrong at all. 

I also take issue with reporting anyone for vulgarity unless of course is part of an unprovoked series of harassment, being sent mean words online just isn't that big of an issue for me. You're entitled to have a different view on this of course. 

Edited by Saltyballs
  • Like 1