Brand new to online

lumper

Its pretty confusing, although I am working a little of it out.

anyway im just confused I think, is there an online manual I can read from the beginning?

Starting off with so little I dont really want to join any events or fights as I have like nothing to work with and will only die very quickly.

I figured id go hunting and sell stuff for a little bit to learn my way around, but even that is hard you start with one cheap repeater that is hard to get a clean kill with for a perfect pelt on most animals, and it wont kill a gator with one shot, so.. to get the Springfield, I need to make a little more $$ so I am hunting what I can day and night to get the extra $60 to buy the Springfield so I can then get better pelts and animals and with that hopefully buy a fishing pole, ammo, and a few things so I can then hunt and fish my way to a few weapons and upgrades.

I feel very anxious about the whole thing, I hate being forced to play with people, I feel in over my head as I dont have a good handle on what is up and I dont want to be used as fodder or be taken advantage of in missions I join so it is all just a little overwhelming.

I havent figured out how to sleep yet, since I dont have a tent only a bed roll, I see I need to buy that and most things require level upgrades, I am at level 6 I think.

So I can rest but not sleep. I dont see the point in that, but ok

This whole thing kind of sucks, sitting on my horse pressing pause so I can look up something in the menu, I think I was looking to see if there was a trapper, which I cant believe there isnt, but ok, and I was pulled off my horse and killed, by some guy, wtf

I appreciate the games and activities, but I do not want to participate in those until I have better weapons, and stocked up on lots of big game meat, herbs, and potions, seems like getting to that point is going to very tedious.

Am I missing something?

What did you guys do when you first joined?

did you just join events with others and see what happened or did you hunt, / fish, etc..

I need ideas, I set this up weeks ago and then never played it, I went in and played a third play through of single player instead and really enjoyed that.

But now I am done with that and thought I will try this, as I want to keep playing, I just dont know how to best get started I guess.

I have like 80$ and less than .30 gold bars, thats I think 1/3 of one bar, lol

with this repeater it is really hard to get a 3 start pelt of anything, I did get a few deer, but geese anything smaller is no good and bigger the gun wont kill.

I was going to just start over completely but I didnt see a way to do that, I wanted to just erase my charchter and start over make a new one, go through whatever tutorial there is and go from there, but again, I never found that option, so Im stuck as this guy I made, I am in lemoyne now, where when I set this up I was in the South somewhere maybe Armadilla?

Anyway , I appreciate any ideas, thoughts, etc..

@lumper

If you're on PS4 I and my posse would be happy to help you figure things out. If not, I'll try to help from here best I can. I know it can seem overwhelming as the game kinda throws you to the wolves very quickly. 

Personally what I did was run down deer with a lasso/knife. Only way to get perfect kills until you can get that Springfield (or in my case, bolt action). But once you have the rifle you're set for pve as far as hunting and even pvp (does a lot of damage to players fully upgraded).

Pick herbs, sell them. Kill all owls, Hawks, condors, vultures, eagles as they still give more than 1 feather unlike the exotic birds in the swamps of St Denis. Kill gators, sell the big game meat you don't use. 

Also if you want to remake you're character, go to start menu then player and I believe it gives you the option of deleting your character. You'll still keep your cash and gold but nothing else.

I can't cover all the points of your post right now as I'm at work. But I'll get back to you in a couple hours.

-edit-

No you can't sleep, only rest. You can't pass the day.

No there's not a trapper, yet... maybe. Yes it sucks. 

Yes, a good portion of players will kill you, not all are "griefers" as sometimes the daily challenges want you to kill other players with a certain weapon in a certain way. Stay far away from dark red dots/players on the map. No they aren't all red because of killing others, they could have been defending themselves. But still to be cautious, just make sure you are aware of their general vicinity. Purple dots too, but you can't see them as easily.

Also for $250 you can get a red Arabian horse. It's not as good as the normal one, but better than the Tennessee walkers, Kentucky saddlers and Morgans. Unless you have the ultimate edition of the game then you get a free Thoroughbred and saddle, along with free volcanic pistol and varmint rifle, think a pump action shotgun too.

Edited by Renascent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dude!!

So awesome of you to explain all that and from work too, I can not thank you enough.

Just having some answers really helps a lot.

Ok first off, Im on an xbox

I do enjoy hunting/ fishing, so I thought until I am comfortable I will do that to earn cash and gold and xp.

Once I can upgrade my weapons, supplies, camp, and horse, I will look at missions and stuff.

I cant get the Springfield or Varmit rifle yet, (only two I really need) but I have gotten a couple perfect pelts from deer, bucks, skunks and racoons.

No Trapper means I have to sell to Butchers? anyone else?

can I sell Orchids?

Seems ridiculous that you can not sleep,  I mean how many days can that go on before my character is shot from exhaustion.

I would like to fish but I think I need to level up a little, I guess.

Thank you very much for throwing me a life line, you kind of made the difference of me trying again or just giving up.

I have a bit of an anxiety disorder and as a result I stay away from most multi player scenarios, COD WW2 is the exception, but I sooo want to get into this, as I love this game and would like to get the most out of it I can.

Since I loaded this game a little before X-Mas, I havent played another game, nothing, and I bought Far Cry 5 Ultimate edition with all the trimmings, and I was playing COD WW2 daily until I loaded this game, RDR2 has ruined all my other games, so time to learn the Online MP,  I hope.

Edited by lumper

No need to upgrade camp/horse at all, ever. Hunt/fish/kill/pick everything the game presents to you and sell at a butchers or in the case of herbs you can't craft with yourself (including those vanilla flowers) at a doctors. Cash will mount up. Best buys are one good repeating rifle and one good shotty. Lancaster and pump imho being the best value for money. The repeater on it's own can cover 90% of all hunting and PvE/PvP requirements in the game and a varmint rifle takes care of almost everything else.

I find free roam a pretty "anxious" place to wander about in as a loner but actually don't mind that at all.

The few online missions are simple enough to do as well and will level you up very quickly so you can buy that fishing pole and better guns in no time

P.S. A good tip to reduce the chances of meeting undesireables is to have yourself spawn in to online as far away from where you really want be as possible, leg it for the nearest fast travel point and then go direct to your camp which you have made certain is placed exactly 1 million miles away from where you were and all those lazy red dots that tend to stay more or less where they spawned in to the game, pew pewing each other ad infintum.

Edited by Traks1
  • Like 1

Another tip would be to download and use the RDR2 companion app.  It's like having an extra set of eyes since you can view the in-game map live on your phone or other device.   .......zoom in / out, etc.

I would echo the advice to pick up the Lancaster repeater as soon as you can and then modify it.  IIRC, it's one of the first available weapons that is any good once you reach the appropriate level.  Hell, It's still a favorite of mine and I'm over lvl 60+.  If you're just starting out, while a great rifle IMO the Springfield won't be available to you for a while.

The Lancaster is a great all-around rifle that is quite capable at hunting, defense, etc.  

Also, visit the posse section or the Posse Recruitment sub forum if you're looking for folks you can join.  You might be surprised the support some are willing to provide a player in your position. 

Again, if you were on PS4 I'd offer my assistance as well.

1 hour ago, lumper said:

Dude!!

So awesome of you to explain all that and from work too, I can not thank you enough.

Just having some answers really helps a lot.

Ok first off, Im on an xbox

I do enjoy hunting/ fishing, so I thought until I am comfortable I will do that to earn cash and gold and xp.

Once I can upgrade my weapons, supplies, camp, and horse, I will look at missions and stuff.

I cant get the Springfield or Varmit rifle yet, (only two I really need) but I have gotten a couple perfect pelts from deer, bucks, skunks and racoons.

No Trapper means I have to sell to Butchers? anyone else?

can I sell Orchids?

Seems ridiculous that you can not sleep,  I mean how many days can that go on before my character is shot from exhaustion.

I would like to fish but I think I need to level up a little, I guess.

Thank you very much for throwing me a life line, you kind of made the difference of me trying again or just giving up.

I have a bit of an anxiety disorder and as a result I stay away from most multi player scenarios, COD WW2 is the exception, but I sooo want to get into this, as I love this game and would like to get the most out of it I can.

Since I loaded this game a little before X-Mas, I havent played another game, nothing, and I bought Far Cry 5 Ultimate edition with all the trimmings, and I was playing COD WW2 daily until I loaded this game, RDR2 has ruined all my other games, so time to learn the Online MP,  I hope.

Yeah, you gotta go to the butchers. Which makes hunting in the north eastern part of the map (my personal favorite area) really annoying as the closest is St Denis. And even though you can now fast travel with pelts, there's a chance of it losing quality (I've not seen it happen on pelts but on carcasses, so I'm just making a guestimate).

And yeah, since the weather/days are seen and shared by the entire session. There's no actual sleeping. Just rest up and eat but be careful of eating too much as it's apparently very easy to gain weight now (before the recent update most people were malnourished).

Damn, would be nice to get some more PS4 players around that actually are on when I am since I work the night shift and have to go to bed usually around 7pm.

I have an anxiety disorder myself. Although I find that it helps in a game like this. I'm always alert and more often than not, me being anxious/paranoid has saved my butt from disaster (player and npc alike). Most people irritate me and I only can stand a select few.

Honestly same, I bought Kingdom Hearts 3, The Last Guardian and Far Cry Primal and I haven't touched anything else since getting on red dead online. I work so much my time is valuable so I tend to spend it on what I enjoy the most.

• Like 1

well first off let me say welcome to RDR 2 the first game was amazing and one of the best experiences I've had in video games so hopefully this one will be as great or even better than the first, of course that was because I was a part of a Crew that immersed themselves in the game along with other crews etc..

that being said I Believe in order to have the best experience you'd have to join up with people whether it be a just for fun crew, grinding crew, rp crew, competitive etc.. it will definitely help you to enjoy it much more than you would solo.

Anyways playing solo is still a viable option, not sure if these were answered but Hunting is literally the best way to make money right now if youre trying to avoid conflict, otherwise replaying the online story missions is or stranger missions but players can attack during those. when I first started, I would hunt small animals such as foxes, turkeys, etc.. hunt enough and you would have enough (now meat) to sell and make decent money until you can buy a Varmint (what I did but you should skip this) so you can finally kill smaller game and get pristine conditioned carcasses, then save up and don't customize anything until you get a bolt action rifle so you can hunt bigger game, then I bought a fishing pole which was so damn worth it I only bought a Lake Lure for 1 gold and it has made me well over 3k dollars alone by just fishing sockeye salmon or steelhead trout. worth the gold.

as far as customizing goes, I held off until I had all the weapons I wanted, that way I had several options when it came to combat, bought a different horse so I could travel faster and longer, then clothing to make my native character actually look more native and so forth.

camp upgrades do absolutely nothing at the moment but refill your cores at a slightly faster rate if you were to go to your camp and rest. upgraded saddle bags do nothing at the moment either so don't buy those, Pump Shotgun is arguably the best shotgun in game so don't be like me and buy a repeating one, sawed off works great as well when you dual wield.

you can sell herbs to a doctor or medicinal vendor forgot what they're called, you can also reset some awards so when you get to gold tier make sure you reset them if possible, fish and hunt for things you can put in your satchel that way if players want to kill you or w.e. you wont lose them.

I cant think of anything else, but I started off with nothing and now I have 3 outfits that I made, 4 horses with upgraded saddles, all the guns I want/need fully customized and upgraded, I only buy express ammo. Im only level 68 so its possible to do this without pull a no lifer. Also one other thing I have many perks but I never upgraded them because 1. I play free aim so the ones I use now wont be useful when people cant instantly headshot you or aimbot you, 2. they cost a lot of money and since its a beta they will probably tweak them and change them as the full game comes out (they already did this once).

hopefully this helped and idk what else to mention but I truly believe you should look for a crew you  find interesting because it enhances the experience, and im extremely anti social so I can kind of understand, but as time goes on you will get comfortable enough with them to actually enjoy their presence. you don't have to but I think it would help.

im on xbox as well so hit me up whenever my GT is the same as my name one these forums.

• Like 2

I played the single player game 3 times all the way through through both Epilogues, I still have a game going toward 100% with #30,000 in cash and I think 95% or so.

This is very different, but after going in three times for a few hours at a time, I am getting the jist of it, it is very slow and tedious.

dude.

relax. emerse yourself in the world. dont think of it as a "game", think about it as an experience, as a virtual life as a cowboy and you'll just figure it all out as you go along and it should be way less stressful.

also because their is not a ton of things going on, think of it as the very early days of the west when it was just settled... a tiny bit desolate, but it will grow into a thriving world someday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven Kreg said:

dude.

relax. emerse yourself in the world. dont think of it as a "game", think about it as an experience, as a virtual life as a cowboy and you'll just figure it all out as you go along and it should be way less stressful.

also because their is not a ton of things going on, think of it as the very early days of the west when it was just settled... a tiny bit desolate, but it will grow into a thriving world someday.

I told my buddy the same thing. He got the game and played the story twice and kept telling me he wouldn't touch the online end of it. Finally talked him into it and he is stressing over every little thing. When you don't just throw yourself out there and mess around, you miss out on a lot of fun. 

7 hours ago, Steven Kreg said:

dude.

Assuming you're on PS4, or from Europe? 

5 minutes ago, Steven Kreg said:

no. xbox and america.

wow your sight for sore eyes, lol usually when i find someone with your mindset they either are on PS4 or European,  I don't play RDR on PS4 and European timezone I'm usually at work or they're ready to go to sleep when I'm off. Nice to see that an Xbox Player from North America have these values when it comes to gaming, very rare to see.

Thanks very much everyone, I really appreciate all the tips and advice.

Born Homicidal, 

Thanks very much, Ill look you up when I go on or add you to my friends list, not really sure how that all works, but I can figure it out, and thank you for the time you took and your words, I appreciate it man, Thanks

I didnt know about selling to the Dr so thats cool, I have a ton of orchids, and vanilla flowers.

I will eventually team up I suppose, I am just not ready.

Im level 7 lol I feel like a noob and a fool, I cant see Teaming up with guys at level 50 and above and be of any use to anyone.

I tried one mission with others when I was trying to figure it out, I was in New Austin the first time and I forget I think it was a bounty we had to go get? I cant remember but the guys were looting everyone we killed, and I wanted to loot them as well, so I jumped of my horse to loot a couple guys and someone took the bounty off my horse and took off with it, lol and we were playing together, so right then I figured, I have no clue what I'm doing, or who to trust and who not too, I need to learn a lot more before I just put myself out there and be used as cannon fodder so to speak.

Anyway you all have been great, thank you I appreciate it.