Haven't even tried online yet. Is it really part of the story?

Question

So I generally don't play games online and I definitely don't purchase games for the multiplayer online contact. But I am nearing 100% And I would like some perspective or opinions on whether I should purchase PlayStation Plus just to play this game online. After reading some posts in this forum, I'm on the fence. 

15 answers to this question

Well my fellow gunslinger , going by the info you have provided I would say no ! It is pve and PvP rolled into one. There are a lot of run ins with other players ,most of the time everyone is just doing there thang. You will need to go in with a posse should you choose to enter. Carry on good sir !

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dewy1314 said:

So I generally don't play games online and I definitely don't purchase games for the multiplayer online contact. But I am nearing 100% And I would like some perspective or opinions on whether I should purchase PlayStation Plus just to play this game online. After reading some posts in this forum, I'm on the fence. 

Hi Dewy,

Online really doesn't have much to do with the campaign.  .....at least not yet.  

RDO is really about your story as an online character.  ....and even then it's really just about the activities within the game.  At the moment, even that is limited but you can't really think of RDO as a storytelling adventure like the campaign was.  It has some story missions, side missions with some characters you might remember from the main game, PvP events, hunting, fishing, an in-game economy, etc. 

This is also gameworld shared with a group of up to around 40 others.  .....others who can kill you if they want to or simply interact.

I'll be quite frank with you though Dewy.....  Given your sharp criticism for the campaign, game mechanics, lack of certain features, etc., I would be remiss if I recommended that you pay for a PS+ account just to play RDO.  If you have other online games that you are interested in as well then maybe, but not just for RDO.  I would say you would be likely setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. 

Personally, I like RDO but then again, I really liked the campaign too.  I've had a PS+ account since my PS3 days so that never really factors into my decisions.  I try an online game and if I don't like it, I don't play it.  In your case, your betting $60 just to try an experience you're not even sure you'll enjoy.  

If I were you I would do some more research, view a lot of in-game footage and maybe wait for a free weekend to try it out.  Sometimes there are promotions that will wave the membership for a weekend to try and get folks without one to try out their online games.  

That's just my take on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I would be remiss if I recommended that you pay for a PS+ account just to play RDO

As a persnickety gamer, PS+ is usually good for one or two "keeper" titles each year that I keep on my HD.

Though, nothing has been as good as Broforce.  This month's PS+ includes the Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remaster, both campaign and Multiplayer.

As for RDO, there's at least one "stranger" who will be familiar to you if you played through the campaign, so there's a lot of little touches like that which flesh out the characters a bit.  Nothing groundbreaking or of importance, but it's kind of cool.

1 minute ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

As a persnickety gamer, PS+ is usually good for one or two "keeper" titles each year that I keep on my HD.

Though, nothing has been as good as Broforce.  This month's PS+ includes the Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remaster, both campaign and Multiplayer.

As for RDO, there's at least one "stranger" who will be familiar to you if you played through the campaign, so there's a lot of little touches like that which flesh out the characters a bit.  Nothing groundbreaking or of importance, but it's kind of cool.

That's true.  Although most of those freebies I never play, there is usually at least one that I will.  

Actually, been playing CoD MW with a friend against bots.  Entertaining enough for a couple nights before the TD2 release.

28 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Entertaining enough for a couple nights before the TD2 release.

Just over 8 hours now, plus the download (so, another 3).  Puts me at 2300-2330 before I get home into it.

I feel like I'm coming down with "the flu".

2 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Hi Dewy,

Online really doesn't have much to do with the campaign.  .....at least not yet.  

RDO is really about your story as an online character.  ....and even then it's really just about the activities within the game.  At the moment, even that is limited but you can't really think of RDO as a storytelling adventure like the campaign was.  It has some story missions, side missions with some characters you might remember from the main game, PvP events, hunting, fishing, an in-game economy, etc. 

This is also gameworld shared with a group of up to around 40 others.  .....others who can kill you if they want to or simply interact.

I'll be quite frank with you though Dewy.....  Given your sharp criticism for the campaign, game mechanics, lack of certain features, etc., I would be remiss if I recommended that you pay for a PS+ account just to play RDO.  If you have other online games that you are interested in as well then maybe, but not just for RDO.  I would say you would be likely setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. 

Personally, I like RDO but then again, I really liked the campaign too.  I've had a PS+ account since my PS3 days so that never really factors into my decisions.  I try an online game and if I don't like it, I don't play it.  In your case, your betting $60 just to try an experience you're not even sure you'll enjoy.  

If I were you I would do some more research, view a lot of in-game footage and maybe wait for a free weekend to try it out.  Sometimes there are promotions that will wave the membership for a weekend to try and get folks without one to try out their online games.  

That's just my take on it.

I very much appreciate your candor this was my concern as well, I think I'll wait it out for some dramatic content or if I find a different game I like to play online I tried the free trial but I guess I've done it a couple years ago

• Like 1

There is no rush if you are not feeling it. The online is not complete yet so I would wait until it is out of beta if you are not sure. No point in wasting money to find out it isn't something you enjoy. You will get a better feel for the game when the beta testing is done. Also, when they start dropping DLC, I think the variety and overall play value for RDR2 Online will go up heavily. 

On 3/11/2019 at 6:33 AM, Dewy1314 said:

wait, you cant just play it online on ps4? you have to purchase something else?

33 minutes ago, lumper said:

wait, you cant just play it online on ps4? you have to purchase something else?

What do you mean? A PS+ subscription is essentially the same thing as an XBox Live subscription. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

What do you mean? A PS+ subscription is essentially the same thing as an XBox Live subscription. 

Ahh ok, I didnt understand, so yeah I have gold anyway I get a 1 year at a time, for any games I might play online, so I didnt do it for rdr2 I just already had it, I thought you meant you had to pay an additional fee or something, sorry I misunderstood.

2 hours ago, lumper said:

Ahh ok, I didnt understand, so yeah I have gold anyway I get a 1 year at a time, for any games I might play online, so I didnt do it for rdr2 I just already had it, I thought you meant you had to pay an additional fee or something, sorry I misunderstood.

Ahhh.....  Yeah, I see.

Im not sure if you started playing online or not, but I wanted to add to this,

Going back to your original question about online being part of the single player game.

I have only just started playing online, and I am very low level, 17 I think,.

I found that this takes place BEFORE the events of the single player story, so in your online experiences you will run into characters from the single player game and they will give you some dialogue and insight that I thought was really great.

For example, in one mission, I went to an orange icon, I think they are stranger missions, not yellow icon, orange.

Anyway when I got there it was Sean Mcguire from the game!!

he gave me some dialogue and we talked and then he gave me something to do, I really enjoyed seeing him there and listening to how he couldnt find the gang, (Dutch, Arthur, etc..) and the little more he explains to you.

so although it is not part of the single player, it is woven in and does feel like an extension of the single player game, it is like you are also in the game at the same time as our outlaw friends and these are the jobs, and missions that you are taking part in, knowing that the gang is most likely living in or around Blackwater getting ready for their heist.