Red Dead Redemption 2 Graphics Possibly Downgraded

NewsBot

If you feel like Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn't quite seem as visually impressive as it did before since the new patch, you're not alone. Unconfirmed reports based on screenshot comparisons indicate that patch 1.06 may have removed a lighting effect from the game.

First noted by Twitter user Darealbandicoot, a comparison of the exact same frame from a cutscene before and after the patch indicates a clear difference in how the game renders lighting.

Based on the screenshots, both global lighting and ambient occlusion have been affected. No longer are all objects in the path of the light rays detected making shadows less realistic. Some areas that should be darker have no shadows at all.

lighting2-800x450.jpgBefore 1.03

However, this is simply the most noticeable change, but not the first. Reddit users have been documenting changes made to graphics and lighting effects since patch 1.03. The game has been subtly changing in its visual capabilities with these patches, and while the point of patching is usually to improve optimization, it seems some downgrades slipped in as well.

Shadows and lighting have consistently been becoming less and less realistic based on the screenshots, and there isn't any clear explanation as to why. The likeliest scenario is that this is a bug that has gone mostly unnoticed until now and that Rockstar has been causing it by accident. Reports are also unclear as to how universal this phenomenon is, and on what platforms it appears on.

lighting3-800x450.jpg1.03 onwards

Now that the issue is gaining larger traction, it will likely be resolved in upcoming patches. Red Dead Redemption 2 has caused a bit of a ruckus with regards to its graphics before, due to a rather common issue on PS4. This blurring issue resulted in a major uproar and earned an official statement from Rockstar a couple of months ago.

We'll keep an eye on any developments and update you.

The post Red Dead Redemption 2 Graphics Possibly Downgraded appeared first on RDR2.org.

Read the full story

Some say it happened some say it didn't from whats been researched by myself so far. For me personally there was a difference as soon it was updated with the 1.03 patch. Colors looked off, there was a strange filtering that looked messy. In example around the models. Arthur had a sort of static surrounding him to me. Its not my monitor either. Maybe was seeing things wrong or not but the draw distance seemed to look bit different as well. 

Unpatched it couple days ago. 

The ambient occlusion really makes RDRII "pop". The skies look better, much better lighting and etc. Thinking it has to do with RDR Online. This same thing happened back on GTAV. Online version has less detail and all that jazz. Or Rockstar pulled the greatest heist ever and intentionally had Ambient Occlusion pumped up so high just enough on the release for better reviews. To really impress even more consumers into buying after seeing youtube videos and word of mouth. Then drop the ball on it for the online to work. Frame rate juggles 30 to 25 in forests and the city area time to time. No big deal honestly. To each its own.

Which reminds me of online. To all of the online folks out there. If you keep paying attention to their online modes more and more. Sooner or later they'll quit on story mode games all together and just push the online format type of game instead to cut down on time and save money plus making even more. Good possibility that could happen.

Lets hope it dosent take four 2080ti's linked up to run RDRII on PC at max 4k.

Hello, I do have a question, if I uninstall the game and turn my wifi off so it won't patch the game, will there be issues with the save file? Also,  as a secondary question, are there any implications to the story line, did any of the patches add new stranger encounters or missions to the game?

Edited by bkster90

Your save file will be fine. It won't be messed up. Unless you happen to find some unknown glitch that's game breaking. Yet, so far the worst thing to happen is minor texture popin or a small frame dip while traveling through a congested and heavy area. On the other-hand v1.00 has another advantage as well it loads the whole game alot faster than the updated patches. Thinking Xbox owners can't un-patch though not sure about Xbox One S. Do know Xbox One X needs a online loop on every hour or so just to play anything offline or online.

The only issue that crossed me was the gold metal for weapons. They say the gold option is from doing the two challenges from GTA Online. Which is added once you link social club and and all that while being connected. It wouldn't show up for me which was a bummer. Yet, it wouldn't show up on my third playthrough save file.

So, what fixed it was loading the very first save file ever created, which was the same save file that was linked up to my social club account to unlock the gold metal for weapons in the first place.

Tested to see it the store showed it and it appeared on v1.00 without the being connected to the interweb via on the first save file. So once that worked, loaded up the third save file that the gold wasn't appearing after loading the one that had it appear. Sure enough it worked, Had the gold option for a save file that never saw the internet to know theres gold in those gunsmith stores. While remaining offline and un-patched.

Wouldn't worry about anything new being added to the single player at all. From what we learn from Rockstar is that if theres a online mode from them. That online mode will get all the attention and single player will be left nothing new. Don't really see single player DLC happening either.

In Rockstars eyes the online mode is that extra something that replaced single player expansions. When they did do it that way, there was only two episodes the biker and club expansion for GTA IV. Nothing too crazy. Yet, Sadie needs something though. Really think she should of been a playable character. Yet, who knows. Maybe undead nightmare or something similar will happen for single player or if anything will just be for online and online only until it releases on PC and we can spawn anything through a trainer that was for online only.

Also the missing people in camp will be fixed as well once un-patching it. Think it carries over through a save file. Not sure though.

TL:DR Everything will work fine. Gold for weapons wont show unless you load the save file that it was activated for it to be unlocked and it will be available for all the other save files. And don't get your hopes up for anything new for singleplayer. They spent six years on it they got everything they want in singleplayer already. The focus is on online. 

1 hour ago, NDX47 said:

Your save file will be fine. It won't be messed up. Unless you happen to find some unknown glitch that's game breaking. Yet, so far the worst thing to happen is minor texture popin or a small frame dip while traveling through a congested and heavy area. On the other-hand v1.00 has another advantage as well it loads the whole game alot faster than the updated patches. Thinking Xbox owners can't un-patch though not sure about Xbox One S. Do know Xbox One X needs a online loop on every hour or so just to play anything offline or online.

The only issue that crossed me was the gold metal for weapons. They say the gold option is from doing the two challenges from GTA Online. Which is added once you link social club and and all that while being connected. It wouldn't show up for me which was a bummer. Yet, it wouldn't show up on my third playthrough save file.

So, what fixed it was loading the very first save file ever created, which was the same save file that was linked up to my social club account to unlock the gold metal for weapons in the first place.

Tested to see it the store showed it and it appeared on v1.00 without the being connected to the interweb via on the first save file. So once that worked, loaded up the third save file that the gold wasn't appearing after loading the one that had it appear. Sure enough it worked, Had the gold option for a save file that never saw the internet to know theres gold in those gunsmith stores. While remaining offline and un-patched.

Wouldn't worry about anything new being added to the single player at all. From what we learn from Rockstar is that if theres a online mode from them. That online mode will get all the attention and single player will be left nothing new. Don't really see single player DLC happening either.

In Rockstars eyes the online mode is that extra something that replaced single player expansions. When they did do it that way, there was only two episodes the biker and club expansion for GTA IV. Nothing too crazy. Yet, Sadie needs something though. Really think she should of been a playable character. Yet, who knows. Maybe undead nightmare or something similar will happen for single player or if anything will just be for online and online only until it releases on PC and we can spawn anything through a trainer that was for online only.

Also the missing people in camp will be fixed as well once un-patching it. Think it carries over through a save file. Not sure though.

TL:DR Everything will work fine. Gold for weapons wont show unless you load the save file that it was activated for it to be unlocked and it will be available for all the other save files. And don't get your hopes up for anything new for singleplayer. They spent six years on it they got everything they want in singleplayer already. The focus is on online. 

You're mistaken. I reverted to V 1.0 from V 1.07 and new saves won't play on the old version.

It's also not an issue with a corrupted save file because I tried updating again and the new save files played normally again. 

Ah! then the phantom update is real after all. Was worried about that rumor. That a update between 1.05 or either 1.06 has a phantom update. Which completely removes AO and other things from being activated once un-patched. 

So only thing to think of now is that was really lucky to not have the PS4 Pro OS not updated or connected to the internet before v1.06 was released. Not lying guys and gals it worked for me. Only would bring it up to help others. Otherwise wouldn't typed anything at all.

was v1.05 before downgrading it to v1.00 and the saves loaded up for me. Man that's really messed up now that their doing it that way now. 100% if you were on 1.05 and pushed back on all updates you can revert and be fine. But v1.06 or later you may not get AO to were it used to be after the phantom update.

13 minutes ago, NDX47 said:

Ah! then the phantom update is real after all. Was worried about that rumor. That a update between 1.05 or either 1.06 has a phantom update. Which completely removes AO and other things from being activated once un-patched. 

So only thing to think of now is that was really lucky to not have the PS4 Pro OS not updated or connected to the internet before v1.06 was released. Not lying guys and gals it worked for me. Only would bring it up to help others. Otherwise wouldn't typed anything at all.

was v1.05 before downgrading it to v1.00 and the saves loaded up for me. Man that's really messed up now that their doing it that way now. 100% if you were on 1.05 and pushed back on all updates you can revert and be fine. But v1.06 or later you may not get AO to were it used to be after the phantom update.

Yeah I heard about people playing their old/new saves fine before. It seems with the newest patch they removed this ability.

All one has to do is revert and play past the tutorial section and they can free roam though. Not the biggest problem, just a di*k move by R*

• Thanks 1

So this was a little upsetting to me at first but....

I am all about the graphics, since 1975 I have dreamt of a day like today when we had a game this fun, this cool, with these type graphics and physics and AI, and here it is, I waited a long long time.

I have seen every step of the way come and go, and I appreciated them all.

So, when this game was coming out and I read about the native 4k graphics  I made a choice, to sell my xbox one s, and buy an X, if that is the only way to see this and other games in native 4k at 30 to 60 fps then so be it.

It was very exciting, like a second Xmas or something, I was very stoked for about a month after loading the game, it just blew me away literally and still does.

I see exactly what they changed and part of me feels like, whoa wait a second, no no no, just add a setting, so if I am struggling with fps I can select to downgrade the occlusion lighting, but please dont mess with my settings otherwise, the game runs great on my end, I love it and have no problems so I do not want to "downgrade" anything at all.

I am really glad I played the game 3 times before this happened.

It seems like a small thing, and I guess in a way it is, but to me, it is part of the experience to see it in all its glory, and I went to a lot of trouble to upgrade my console so I could enjoy it.

I really dont like having my copy downgraded, I think that was a mistake, and I really wish it had been optional in some way, BUT if that is how it has to be, the graphics are still ridiculous and awesome.

It just hurts to have the choice removed without explanation.

I always felt more transparency would be great, I want to hear from Rockstar when they make a decision like this and hear exactly why we ended up with this.,

I think in some cases it would help ease the pain of the decisions being made, if we heard their reasoning and why they made a decision, I think a little communication would go a long way.

Id also love to hear from developers once a month updating things based on what people are saying online, like a press release where they answer popular myths, or misunderstandings, reasons for certain things, etc..

I think dedicating a person to public relations that could go back to developers with fan questions occasionally and then come back with the developers point of view would also go along way in smoothing out stuff that happens.

I would think it would be interesting to hear their official take on things we encounter and bring here to the forums, of course, on the official site only, I cant see them fishing the net and discussing issues that pop up on every fan site, but it would be great to have a voice and an ear.

I think in this case, a simple explanation would have been great, maybe they hoped we wouldnt even notice, and if so, I hope they learn from this and realize, with this many playing fans, we notice everything, so be transparent, not a parent, dont decide what you think we will say or how you think we will react, just be honest and talk to us, we are a nervous huge army of fans waiting with baited breath for the release of this game to see what stuck and what stunk, just a word here or there would go a long way in keeping their fans, still fans.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1

^^^ I agree...well said.

I went from a 'holy smokes, these graphic look awesome' to a 'meh...looks nice'. The game has lost some of its beauty and lustre...and it now looks at tad bit drab and muddy.

I really didn't think it would be much of a hit... but it does change the way I feel about the game now. I'm all about visual candy. It's pretty equal to gameplay for me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In regards to the PS4Pro version of the game and all of it's trouble, bad support and other bad programming decisions, I would like to refer to my post on the rdr2-graphics-blurry-ps4-pro thread

And I made no joke or any falls statement there and I am still looking for the XOX console for a reasonable price! The special edition for the Xbox I already purchased second hand (new) from a second hand site!

Edited by C.D.Mortimer