Do Herbivore & Predator Bait Work?

jnaron_ngc

Just my perception but, it seems to me that the Predator and Herbivore baits were designed primarily for use in the single player game with a focus on attracting specific mission driven targets.  Either the Legendary animals (usually just track those) or the rare(r) skins needed to make upgraded satchels or trapper clothing.  Like a perfect panther pelt, for instance.  I believe you had a better chance of getting a 3* pelt with the more potent baits. 

Either way, I have found little use for any of it in the online game.  Without trappers, etc., there just isn't much the bait can do that simply riding around on an open hunt doesn't already provide. 

The problem I've always had with bait in this game is it only works if placed upwind of an animal that is actually already spawned in the game. And if you know where the animal is you might as well just chase it down and kill it! It had its uses in SP to draw an animal out to where you want it to get a clean shot but in online there's too much potential for another player to affect the situation. 

i believe they work , but not for the animal you think , by exemple if you use 1 predator bait , you mostly will be coyote, fox , owl, western raven , condors , vulture , if u kill these , then set up another predator bait in a good position in map ( exemple where grizzzly panther cougar are known to spawn )  i believe it will help it 

It's not whether the animal baits work or not, it's why bother with them at all. In the single player version the legendary animals are already located and you only have to follow the tracks, in the the online Beta there usually is a 3 star pelt in the herd or just around the corner/hill.  It takes time to attract prey, time that can be better spent by simply moving on to another more productive area.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Redstaski said:

It's not whether the animal baits work or not, it's why bother with them at all. In the single player version the legendary animals are already located and you only have to follow the tracks, in the the online Beta there usually is a 3 star pelt in the herd or just around the corner/hill.  It takes time to attract prey, time that can be better spent by simply moving on to another more productive area.

True. I know where all the cougars,panthers spawn for example . If they aren't there when I arrive, I leave the area and come back. I personally wouldn't waste time on bait. I think your time would be better spent learning where the animal you want spawns. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper

5 hours ago, Savage_Reaper said:

I seem to be pretty good cougar and panther bait. They always seem to find me. 

Lemme strap ya up on the back of my horse and ride around to all the spawns. Sometimes they don't wanna spawn tho, so I have to keep cycling between them.

My point was though that if the animal isn't spawning, bait ain't gonna help. Plus with panthers on a daily challenge its totally pointless since there are usually a bunch of players all on the spawn spot in every session you switch to. As savage said, your best bet is to know the spawn locations and ride around until the animal finds you. If there's no sign of the animal, switch sessions.

14 hours ago, Renascent said:

Lemme strap ya up on the back of my horse and ride around to all the spawns. Sometimes they don't wanna spawn tho, so I have to keep cycling between them.

Ha. Guess I'm lucky. Panther is sometimes funky but I will just get pigs waiting for him.  But cougars are easy to find. Maybe it is my cologne. 

I to tried bait for a Moose in the north, it never worked for the Moose, it attracted others, wild horses, deer, rabbits, etc.. but never the Moose I was hunting for, so yeah it works somewhat but as was said, you are better of just going to a spot where the animal you want is known to spawn and then look around for it, leave and come back etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, at least it seemed so to me when I used bait in the single player mode.  The more potent bait improved your chances of attracting better targets, both in terms of type and quality.  In other words, a normal bait is more likely to attract a boar or fox of "good" quality.  While a potent bait is more likely to attract a panther (or boar, or fox) of perfect quality.   The problem, that other people have alluded to, is that if there is already a fox or boar spawned in the area and no panther you are still more likely to attract the fox or boar, just perhaps of better quality.  Which is nice, but still a waste of potent bait. If nothing is spawned, you will have to wait for something to spawn in but you are more likely to get the better game animal to spawn with the more potent bait. 

Like I said, I did find bait helpful in the single player game.  Not so much in the online version.  Someone mentioned it above, in the single player you also had a scent cover that I found to be very important in setting up a hunting spot with bait.  The scent cover doesn't exist in the online version. So...  I dunno.  Anyway, I don't use any of it online.