Levelling Trader.

LordOdin61

Hi Everyone

Been trying to level my Trader but am struggling this time, I have levelled one to level 20 before and it was easy, this time I can't find animals, it's like when I enter an area they all do a vanishing act. The last couple of days has been really bad, you probably won't believe this but after roughly 12 hours in game I have only gone up 2 levels, from 6 to 8. I had a great spot in Big Valley but during a delivery or after Cripps decided to move the camp and that's when the lack of animals began. I usually hunt in Big Valley and Heartlands. I even tried the baits but nothing. I was wondering if maybe Rockstar have been nerfing the game again, I was totally fed up yesterday and switched off before I threw my ps4 pro through the window lol. Anyone else noticed a lack of animals or am I just been unlucky ?

Even though they "fixed" animal spawns, they still are hard to find. 

2 options. 

1: Research and use sleeping cougar spawns. Once you figure out how to do it, you can pull in 5 cougars in your wagon in  about 20 minutes. At 16.88 materials for a perfect they fill your bar quick.  I haven't "hunted" for random animals since becoming a trader with over 100 deliveries. 

2: start a legendary bounty, then forget about the bounty and just go hunting.  When your wagon is full, just kill yourself several times then cancel the bounty. 

If you don't have a bounty license there are other options, but getting a solo server is less guaranteed. 

Thanks for the quick reply Freakshow, was looking for Bison on the Great Plains to just increase my materials with Cripps but I can't remember the last time I seen a Bison in all honesty even though I always pass through that area pretty regular. I did notice and this might sound odd, but if you look at your map, generally there is a sketch of an animal that is prevalent in that area, if the sketch isn't there then the animal won't be there. I will be back online later to see if I can have more success. It's funny, I levelled Collector without even trying, I only need Trader and Moonshiner to have all 4 Frontier pursuits, I like to concentrate on one at a time though instead of doing them all together.

1 hour ago, LordOdin61 said:

I did notice and this might sound odd, but if you look at your map, generally there is a sketch of an animal that is prevalent in that area, if the sketch isn't there then the animal won't be there. 

Actually the sketch only appears when you hunt an animal in that area just to inform you where can you see certain type of animals later on in game. In Story Mode the sketch stayed on the map but in online mode every time i start the game the map resets and only if i hunt there again the sketch will come back - i was wondering if its just me or all players>?

I agree that animal spawns were decreased after the last update, Sth must be wrong bcoz you can hear the animal sounds but there are no animals to be found. Only Crows and rabbits, 

• Like 1

I find that there are a fair few deer around Hennigan's Stead, not far from Bonnie's place.  I tend to hunt out there.  Or down outside Armadillo.  Heartlands has been poor for a while.  The Trade Route free roam event is also good.  I enjoy doing them plus they stock up Cripps.  With the large delivery wagon if I run a full load on a local delivery I get 1500xp so it would rank up pretty quickly.  Not like moonshining!

Thanks guys, I managed a whole level yesterday I am now level 9, I was getting really annoyed yesterday all I could get was small game like skunks a few birds and the odd rabbit, I forgot to mention to Freakshow that I haven't got a wagon being only level 9 and don't see the logic in buying one if there are no animals to put in to one. I keep seeing the Trade Route event popping up but had no idea what it was so have never tried it, the only ones I do are fishing and the salvage one which is awesome. I will keep plugging away and look into the Trade Route event..

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely do the Trade Route event, it's a lot of fun. Basically, you and a bunch of other players work together to defend a train from non-player enemies who attack it along the route. You earn however many goods survive at the end, up to 18.

• Like 1

I would say it's a bug or server issue or whatever, not intentional, since animal spawns have been generally fine for me (on PC.) Some very iffy stretches the first day of the update, but since then I've had no major issues with animal spawns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LordOdin61 said:

Thanks guys, I managed a whole level yesterday I am now level 9, I was getting really annoyed yesterday all I could get was small game like skunks a few birds and the odd rabbit, I forgot to mention to Freakshow that I haven't got a wagon being only level 9 and don't see the logic in buying one if there are no animals to put in to one. I keep seeing the Trade Route event popping up but had no idea what it was so have never tried it, the only ones I do are fishing and the salvage one which is awesome. I will keep plugging away and look into the Trade Route event..

No problem - yes the only two I do are salvage (agree, it's awesome and the xp reward is amazing) and trade route (18 goods per run, and a lot of fun).  I say yes to those every time they pop up.  As I'm splitting my time across the four roles, I think that trade route probably covers half the goods I need to keep Cripps happy.  So it makes a big difference and keeps the pressure off my hunting.  Now I just do a bit of hunting when I'm in the mood, but don't ever feel that I have to.

1 hour ago, Aval0n said:

Wildlife is almost non-existent since the Moonshiner update. It is extremely frustrating. There's no way for us to know if R* nerfed animal spawns or if it's a bug introduced into code with the Moonshiner update.

I agree.   Y-day was a nightmare. I literally could not find any animals to hunt. After an 1,5 hour session in diffreant areas, changing servers and whatnot i was so pissed that i launched a legendary bounty to hunt and that worked but the animals stored on my horse despawned after mission - only pelts remained. 

I was hoping for a fix - y day but there was nothing to implement. 

I hope they will adress the issue - its damn frustrating.       Y -day was also very bad in moonshiner role - i lost 3 full batches straight bcoz of the bugs ended up not delivering a single one yestaerday and didnt hunt enough animals to top cripps out. Sux. Hope it wil be better today. 

I actually went down by Tumbleweed and Armadillo and the situation is the same, I didn't see one Deer yesterday apart from one I killed in the mercy killing event, and that was a 1 star carcass, in the end I just did some bounties even though I am max level, I too hope it's sorted soon.

On 12/17/2019 at 2:13 AM, LordOdin61 said:

Hi Everyone

Been trying to level my Trader but am struggling this time, I have levelled one to level 20 before and it was easy, this time I can't find animals, it's like when I enter an area they all do a vanishing act. The last couple of days has been really bad, you probably won't believe this but after roughly 12 hours in game I have only gone up 2 levels, from 6 to 8. I had a great spot in Big Valley but during a delivery or after Cripps decided to move the camp and that's when the lack of animals began. I usually hunt in Big Valley and Heartlands. I even tried the baits but nothing. I was wondering if maybe Rockstar have been nerfing the game again, I was totally fed up yesterday and switched off before I threw my ps4 pro through the window lol. Anyone else noticed a lack of animals or am I just been unlucky ?

I have the same problem. Camp pitching issues, camp not showing at the map location, etc. When animal spawns are low, I just keep joining new sessions until I find them. 

freakshow gave the best solution for now.   Unsure if the cougars are waking up like they should.... and I have  a video getting 5 in one night in front of marstens future ranch.

But start a legendary bounty and hunt  while ignoring bounty or any mission that sends you to a low population or private mission server.

Hopefully they get it working soon or the game shall continue to be a little lame.   I spnet an hour swimming in lagras thinking i could get 1 alligator... Its prettyu bad... I use 15 bullets in same time and space as I used to use 100 varmint bullets.. so 85% less minimum.

Its a game issue they will need to resolve.. but we are sort of the beta for this new content.

Edited by Darconios

I have just started playing on PC as well as on PS4 and on PC there seems more animals although they are not as abundant as they used to be. I am not going to do trader roll on PC until everything is sorted. While I play on PS4 the animal spawns are almost non existent and I have been trying to level trader for what seems an age yet am only level 12. I have been reading peoples thoughts on this and most are trying to say it's to do with the amount of people in the session, which in my opinion is wrong, before the Moonshiner patch I was in sessions with 25 players and the animals were plentiful so to me that blows their theory out of the water.

I've had very few issues with animal spawns on PC the past month or so. I've noticed a significant reduction in small and medium animals since it started snowing a few days ago, though. But it's at a level where I feel it makes sense for the environment, not a bug. They're also a bit harder to spot, and also, if it even snows slightly, NPCs on horseback race around as if they're trying to get home to play Red Dead, which scares the animals away from the roads to some extent.

I've had no problems finding packs of deer and prong to substitute for the lack of smaller animals, though.

I did say that PC seemed ok for animals, it's PS4 that's the problem, even Deer are scarce. I do understand that in life weather can affect animals but this is a game and I don't know how realistic R* have made it regarding Animals, besides that the animal shortage came before the snow so it can't be that. going on PC now to check it out. I have only been playing a couple of days on PC so can't really comment though it seemed ok.

Had a private server last night and can now say with absolute confidence that the lack of animals has NOTHING to do with the introduction of seasonal weather. I’d forgotten half the animals were even in the game, it’s been that bad on PS4 the past few weeks. 

Can’t seem to get perfect toad carcasses anymore though - used to get them with small game arrow but that doesn’t seem to work now.

Yeah, just to clarify, my post about less small animals since there's snow was mostly in response to the "less abundant than they used to be" part of LordOdin's post, not about the general spawn issues lots of people have been having, which are pretty undeniable by this point. It's also just an impression, hard to tell for sure.

Even though i had a session last night, in a lobby with no players, and a good bunch of animals, i am still so noob at levelling "Trader" role.. 

I know i could buy the wagon, and fill it up, but i am only level 3 in it as it is right now. Everytime i deliver pelts, and such, it only levels a bit on the meter with Cribs, and when i go out hunting again, and come back, the meter has fallen again.

I think im doing it wrong 😮

@McLawDiz if your using 3 star animals your material bar will go up much further, I had the hunting wagon on a previous character and to me at least it was a waste of money, the best thing to do imo is kill a npc and get his horse and have your own horse follow you, that way you end up with twice as much material, at the moment it is incredibly hard to level trader, my advice is to do other things and when you come across any animals just kill them and take them back to Cripps. Two star are ok for rabbits and birds etc but for bigger game you should really get 3 star if you can, I was looking for animals most of the day and I ended up with a 3 star pronghorn and a couple of 2 star turkeys, it's a hard time for hunting lately and I think that most players are struggling. I have seen players kill players just to steal a carcass which shouldn't be really happening but it is making the killers life a little easier, it's the hunter that suffers. Use the horse trick instead of buying a cart, it's much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1