22 hours worth of Bull Moose searching, and NONE! This is unacceptable.

Coconutz

There is NO reason why the spawn rate for this is so bad. It is the LAST thing I need for 100% completion. I have looked literally hundreds of times in every place it spawns, watch every youtube video dozens of times, and I only find the female one. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? 

Generally, that's how it works for some odd reason. Animals not spawning when you're looking for a certain one. It makes the hunting side missions extremely tedious. I think I looked for about 48 hours in total (not in a row, obviously, though I have stayed awake for such lengthy periods in the past ... my record is 84 hours and 27 minutes 🤣) just for a single robin. Yet, before I got to that point in the quest, they were spawning everywhere.

• Like 1

This can be a pain, yes.  I've been through this kind of pain for many animals - small birds are especially tricky to study sometimes.  Watching a few YouTubes on spawn sites and saving/quitting/reloading game saves can help with respawns.

Herbs are a pain because they don't seem to respawn as quickly as animals do.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem.
Looking for a perfect moose pelt and nowhere a moose to find...
Looking in every possible place they spawn. Saving the game and reloading, putting bait, nothing shows up. Sometimes a 2 star moose, but really sometimes.
But when I wasn't looking for a moose, suddenly there is one, a 3 star, north of O'Creagh's Run.
So when he sees me and I scared him I started to follow him from a small distance so he could calm down and I could take the shot. He is going up a hill and dissapears at the other side. So I take a run to follow him and when I'm at the top there was no moose to see. Nothing! He was gone! Not even a trace....

A few days later I needed a perfect beaver pelt and I go to the Owanjila lake. I go on foot on the west side and suddenly a 3 star moose pops up. So again, I follow it from a small distance to let it calm down and I could shoot it. But suddenly I got attacked by a wolf. I shoot the wolf and continue to chase the moose. Only, you can guess it, no moose to be found. He dissapears again and no trace to be found... Aaaaargh!!!!

Rockstar!!! What is this???

7 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

I remember having some problems finding moose as well.  I remember spotting some across O'Creagh's run - I watched a herd of them literally walk into the mountainside and disappear.

There used to be one that would always appear in that NW valley a lot of folks go to for hunting.  I used to run back and forth down that thing and typically, there was a solitary moose that would spawn at one point near the center where the fingers of the creek would criss cross on the meadow.  

I played a game yesterday and while I found quite a few animals, no moose in that spot.

Some animals seem to spawn exceptionally rarely. I'm having a hell of a time finding devon and hereford bulls, for example. I've played the game through prologue to epilogue at least five times now and I've never once seen either.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 7:41 AM, Parzival said:

Some animals seem to spawn exceptionally rarely. I'm having a hell of a time finding devon and hereford bulls, for example. I've played the game through prologue to epilogue at least five times now and I've never once seen either.

This was also a problem for me. I go to the north of Saint-Denis for a 3 start bull. I find it at a farm, with 3 3-star cows. Then there is this guys coming on who falles from his horse and i bring him to the doctor who amputated his arm. Then I return to the farm to kill the bull, but all of a sudden they al have only 2 stars... Wasted time... again.

2 hours ago, James72 said:

This was also a problem for me. I go to the north of Saint-Denis for a 3 start bull. I find it at a farm, with 3 3-star cows. Then there is this guys coming on who falles from his horse and i bring him to the doctor who amputated his arm. Then I return to the farm to kill the bull, but all of a sudden they al have only 2 stars... Wasted time... again.

Check Carmody Dell (Bob Crawford's farm, the one Arthur and Hosea rob in The Spines of America) and Hanging Dog Ranch. Those are two other places that bulls spawn.

Strange little factoid: I've found that if you kill a bull with the bow, you don't lose honor for some reason like you normally would for killing domesticated animals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, James72 said:

... Then there is this guys coming on who falles from his horse and i bring him to the doctor who amputated his arm. Then I return to the farm to kill the bull, but all of a sudden they al have only 2 stars...

No good deed goes unpunished.

On 4/2/2020 at 3:17 PM, Parzival said:

Check Carmody Dell (Bob Crawford's farm, the one Arthur and Hosea rob in The Spines of America) and Hanging Dog Ranch. Those are two other places that bulls spawn.

hanging dog ranch? whoa, watch out for O'Driscolls! or, if you're in the epilogue, laramies. for some reason, hanging dog ranch seems to attract a lot of scumbags.

Edited by harry747

• 2 weeks later...

i also have trouble finding a 3-star moose. i found one at cattail pond, and later one at calumet ravine, near the indian reservation, but both of them were 2-star. i shot them, hoping that the buck antler trinket would give me perfect pelts, but that was a flop 😞

i also checked near fairvale shanty (yes, there were moose up there before) and where the legendary moose was, but nothing. the same at cairn lake. i was up there 2 days, and i used up a lot of bait. lots of critters came to check it out, but no moose 😞

On 4/11/2020 at 4:14 PM, harry747 said:

i also have trouble finding a 3-star moose. i found one at cattail pond, and later one at calumet ravine, near the indian reservation, but both of them were 2-star. i shot them, hoping that the buck antler trinket would give me perfect pelts, but that was a flop 😞

i also checked near fairvale shanty (yes, there were moose up there before) and where the legendary moose was, but nothing. the same at cairn lake. i was up there 2 days, and i used up a lot of bait. lots of critters came to check it out, but no moose 😞

I've played through the game several times from PS4 and PC.  I've tracked several spots for Moose spawns (all spawn points are Moose and Bull-Moose).

By far the most reliable spawn point for moose if near Charlotte Balfour's cabin just off the trail going north from the path or the railroad.  The most common time I've found them is noon.

I can consistently get moose to spawn here by doing this (more consistent 3-Star pelts after the Legendary Buck Trinket):

- Camp at a point south of hermit's shack (rare shotgun guy) and north of Annesburg.   The camp points vary but all will work as long you're not near Charlotte's cabin).

- Sleep until the noon time and save the game (for easy reload if the moose is not there or is not a 3 star)

- Ride up to the trail and railroad intersection that is SW of Charlotte's cabin.  Be wary of cougars on the ride up.

- On the right side of the trail and the branch that goes up to her cabin, there is a moose spawn.  It is in the shadows so use Eagle-eye to see where it is.

- If it does not spawn or is a 1-2 star, reload the camp save and repeat.  Your re-load may put you in different areas but all should be still south of Charlotte's cabin.

- If you're getting 4 for the Trapper, turn one in and then camp/sleep fully near the trapper and fast travel to Annesburg and repeat until you get all 4 and both types if you're Compendium completing.

I've used this method many times for moose and usually can get four 3-star pelts in 1-2 hours.  Happy hunting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

why is it so damn hard to get a 3-star moose pelt?

at cattail pond i shot a 2-star moose, hoping that the buck antler trinket would give me a 3-star. NOPE 😞

at cairn lake i find a 3-star moose. i shoot it in the head, it runs away. i chase it and shoot it again, and suddenly it's 1-star. ARGH!

near willards rest i find a 3-star, i chase it and shoot it, it dies and ends up in the river. i swim towards it and suddenly it vanishes right in front of me. WTF???

and that doesn't even include the countless times i tried to use bait to make one appear. i don't even know how much herbivore bait i wasted on those bastards. why is it *BEEP*  impossible?

3 hours ago, harry747 said:

why is it so damn hard to get a 3-star moose pelt?

at cattail pond i shot a 2-star moose, hoping that the buck antler trinket would give me a 3-star. NOPE 😞

at cairn lake i find a 3-star moose. i shoot it in the head, it runs away. i chase it and shoot it again, and suddenly it's 1-star. ARGH!

near willards rest i find a 3-star, i chase it and shoot it, it dies and ends up in the river. i swim towards it and suddenly it vanishes right in front of me. WTF???

and that doesn't even include the countless times i tried to use bait to make one appear. i don't even know how much herbivore bait i wasted on those bastards. why is it *BEEP*  impossible?

The buck antler trinket only has a 10% chance of doing that and won't do it all the time.

Shooting an animal more than once will always downgrade it to 1-star.

It probably sank. That does suck, though.

Bait doesn't work in RDR2 the way it did in RDR1. Rather, you find the animal you're looking for first, then place bait in a spot you want to lure it to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 1:01 PM, TheJazzyOne said:

I found the moose up in the area where you would normally try to find the white arabian horse.  That area didn't show up on many maps as a place to hunt moose, but it was definitely there.

^ Lake Isabella. it spawns up there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, harry747 said:

hanging dog ranch? whoa, watch out for O'Driscolls! or, if you're in the epilogue, laramies. for some reason, hanging dog ranch seems to attract a lot of scumbags.

I never found any bulls or cows at the Hanging Dog Ranch. Only O'Driscolls.
I only found bull at Carmody Dell and a farmer just north of Saint Denis.

• 10 months later...

The game knows what you're looking for...
The game is full rabbits but the moment I needed one, no rabbits te bo found. Nowhere...
Also with the bull moose... And then I see a 3-star one, it dissapears behing the hill never to be found and leaving no trace... It's how Rockstar mekes there games I think.

or you shoot a 3-star animal with the right weapon, but it doesn't die. and when you finally catch up with it, suddenly it's only 1 star. ARGH! FYI, i don't even bother skinning a 1-star animal unless it's a bear, a goose, a duck or something else that gives me animal fat. a 1-star pelt is not worth keeping, IMHO.