Shooting birds from moving train?

Kormath

I'm stumped on this one. Every time I try I get the guards in the train reporting a crime and the train stops.  I ride back to emerald station pay my bounty ($835 so far) and sleep till morning or whatever to catch the next train. Jump on a different car the guards aren't in but I still commit as crime somehow.

Even tried Sterling the train but once you leave the engine it slows and stops and once again I have a bounty.

What's the secret?

11 hours ago, Kormath said:

$835 so far

First off, respect.

11 hours ago, Kormath said:

What's the secret?

Have you tried:

Spoiler

hijacking the train? After you kill everyone, you can go up front and get it moving again. Get it up to speed, then hop out and hope for the best.

That's the only thing I can think of...

Also, wear a mask to avoid the bounties.

yep i tried stealing the train.  When you leave the engine it slows down and eventually stops.  I did finally finish the challenge with the 2 flocks of ducks that were spooked on attempt 15 or so lol.  So far that's been the hardest challenge i've come up against. 

If you stand on the passenger cars you can shoot twice before committing a crime, the first shot scares all the passengers, the 2nd shot is reported, or maybe it just took them until my 2nd shot to report the first one. 

I wonder if another route would be to disable all the people on the train, using your fists. Would that keep them quiet from reporting a crime? Everyone except the train's driver. Then go to the last car and shoot from there? But would the train's driver be far enough away as to not hear the shooting, and report it?

i was thinking the tomahawk throw after that would be tough, but i got it on the 3rd try.  After the "normal" tomahawk went maybe 20 ft if i was lucky, i made the enhanced and it took 2 tries with that.

I'm now stuck on the long distance shot.

41 minutes ago, Kormath said:

i was thinking the tomahawk throw after that would be tough, but i got it on the 3rd try.  After the "normal" tomahawk went maybe 20 ft if i was lucky, i made the enhanced and it took 2 tries with that.

I'm now stuck on the long distance shot.

Yeah, i was stuck on the tomahawk for a bit til i realized there was the improved version.  the long shot i did in Saint Denis. just pick a spot where you can see a long way down the street and start sniping til u get it.  Going to the challenge tells you how far your longest shot was, so just keep backing up, taking longer shots til you get it.

The birds on the train, I hijacked the train cuz the conductor ran off as soon as I started shooting the birds, and got it up to speed.  I had to get it up to speed a couple times to get the challenge done, but doable.  Not sure what the case was with my bounty after that.

Edited by KRooKeD KRoW

16 hours ago, Truth said:

What did you find most difficult?

Maybe not difficult per say, but frustrating and tedious. For example, getting $50 from robbing town folk and travelers took me awhile a pretty nice hit on my honor. Finding cougars and bears were a pain. The Gambler challenges, as mentioned, are a matter of luck and take some time to sink into them. The last few challenges just take a lot of time I'd say, but you know I'm gonna do them all 😡

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dropkickennedy said:

Finding cougars

I got lucky and spotted the cougar chasing some deer. Then got lucky again and found some dude being attacked by one (random encounter).

I spent like 6 hours hunting a panther though, so I get it completely lol

That Legend of the East satchel was totally worth it though.

12 minutes ago, dropkickennedy said:

but would it kill Pearson's to say, "Hey, you know that moose that took you a week to find? Well those antlers look top notch. Thank you Arthur" haha

The only person I care about less than Pearson is Micah.

The only ones I value at all are Charles and Josiah.  

Oh, and my drinking buddy, Lenny.  

There's times I just want to slap Dutch in the face.  He's such a manipulative tool, it makes me want to torch his tent and stick that pipe in an uncomfortable place (like the back of a Volkswagen?)

Strauss just gives me the creeps.

Javier seems like an opportunistic scumbag, but what do I know, I'm only on Chapter 2.

Uncle Bill is a lazy bum.  The only person lazier is Dutch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

There's times I just want to slap Dutch in the face.  He's such a manipulative tool, it makes me want to torch his tent and stick that pipe in an uncomfortable place (like the back of a Volkswagen?)

Javier seems like an opportunistic scumbag, but what do I know, I'm only on Chapter 2.

Charles is an outlaw who 

Spoiler

really doesn't like people who kill bison 

Lenny is my best friend or i like to think so

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Pretty much the way i feel.  I wish we could kill Micah and Bill, but then that would ruin the story line of killing Bill with John in RDR.  I was wonder what was so bad with Dutch when playing RDR, now i see lol  I'm happy knowing that those 2 won't live long ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dropkickennedy said:

Can't forget about Uncle haha. What about the women? Can't leave them out. 

I have no problem with the women.  I talk to Mary Beth, and the blonde one 

Spoiler

The one you save getting punched in the mouth in the hotel in Valentine

The rest anytime i remember to hit LT/L2 i just antagonize them :)

Surprisingly, I lucked into finishing this challenge by accident.

As you progress through the game, you'll encounter several other factions or gangs, including

Spoiler

The Lemoyne Riders

I was heading into Saint Denis the other day along the train tracks when I saw that this particular gang 

Spoiler

Had stopped a train and killed everyone on board so they could rob it.  Naturally, I eliminated the threat by shooting most of them in the face, and then hog-tying the last few to the train tracks.  At that point, I could safely loot the train, take control, and run over their bodies as I built up speed going either forwards or backwards picking off birds.

3 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Surprisingly, I lucked into finishing this challenge by accident.

As you progress through the game, you'll encounter several other factions or gangs, including

Reveal hidden contents

The Lemoyne Riders

I was heading into Saint Denis the other day along the train tracks when I saw that this particular gang 

Hide contents

Had stopped a train and killed everyone on board so they could rob it.  Naturally, I eliminated the threat by shooting most of them in the face, and then hog-tying the last few to the train tracks.  At that point, I could safely loot the train, take control, and run over their bodies as I built up speed going either forwards or backwards picking off birds.

i saw those too right after i started chapter 3 the first time (had to restore my game to a save on the 11th to get my legendary horse back)  Haven't seen them yet, but then i just started chapter 3 again last night and havent' done anything in it yet but hunt for perfect skins to get the couple satchels back i lost and work toward the legend satchel.  I have to do the sharpshooter challenges again, so i'm sure i'll run into these guys at some point.

great idea with the hog tie, i'll have to remember that and use it :)

Just now, Kormath said:

great idea with the hog tie, i'll have to remember that and use it

Hogtie is undervalued as a strategy.  I hogtie people all the time when I want to rob their houses.  I can just leave them there and nothing bad happens as long as I had a mask on when I walked in.

1 minute ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Hogtie is undervalued as a strategy.  I hogtie people all the time when I want to rob their houses.  I can just leave them there and nothing bad happens as long as I had a mask on when I walked in.

you're right.  i typically only use it on the bounty hunter missions.