Perfect wolf

Kormath

Spent the last 12 hours real time trying to get the damn perfect wolf hide to finish my legend satchel.  I swear I've turned in over a hundred good hides hoping the trinket might just bump one up to perfect.

Been hunting wolves up around Colter, is there a better place?

Guides online say tall trees but I haven't got that far in the game yet.

Head to the east of Aurora Basin for gray wolves.

You want to use a rifle with any ammo other than explosives or your bow with poisonous arrows. Always focus on headshots for clean kills. Hope this helps!

Edited by elmZ

8 minutes ago, elmZ said:

Head to the east of Aurora Basin for gray wolves.

You want to use a rifle with any ammo other than explosives or your bow with poisonous arrows. Always focus on headshots for clean kills. Hope this helps!

I have a question about this... If you use poison arrows, wouldn't the poison add value loss to the pelt? I mean it seems like it should but maybe I am not thinking of the arrows the right way. I just always use rifles for the wolves and cats and don't have too hard of a time getting a perfect pelt. It took me maybe 45 minutes grinding for 1 perfect wolf pelt. 

You have to farm for that perfect pelt, and it should be that way.....if you got a perfect pelt on everything you killed, hunting wouldn't be important part of the game and it would effect the immersion aspect?

Edited by MJROu812
  • Like 1

The area by Aurora Basin and the area just east of Hanging dog ranch are good for wolf hunting. Usually they'll be in packs of 3, and usually 1 of the 3 will be pristine.

Just use dead eye with your springfield rifle and aim for the face. ( sometimes when you aim for a headshot you'll hit the neck and ruin the pelt. )

1 hour ago, MJROu812 said:

You have to farm for that perfect pelt, and it should be that way.....if you got a perfect pelt on everything you killed, hunting wouldn't be important part of the game and it would effect the immersion aspect?

Guess you didn't read the OP.

12 real time hours farming for a hide isn't really that long. But I'm getting nothing but good wolves in that area, not even poor unless I screw up the shot.

Never hurts to ask if there's a better place to hunt.

Thanks @GarthAlgar and @elmZ. I'll head that way tonight when I play.

Will say some of the best scenery is up in that northern area, and I love the weather effects, got caught in a white out, and some really dense fog.  Almost peed myself when a grizzly roared and rushed out of the fog lol

Well then....carry on with your journey....but if it took you 12 real time hours to accomplish your goal, maybe you should do a little research on the proper way of doing it right? It never took me more than a hour maybe 2 at best to get a perfect pelt. Buy the way I did not quote your statement, but just stating that sometimes you have to work for it.:)

Edited by MJROu812

32 minutes ago, MJROu812 said:

Well then....carry on with your journey....but if it took you 12 real time hours to accomplish your goal, maybe you should do a little research on the proper way of doing it right? It never took me more than a hour maybe 2 at best to get a perfect pelt. Buy the way I did not quote your statement, but just stating that sometimes you have to work for it.:)

You have a trick to make the game spawn a 3 star wolf, or any other animal? I'd love to have it.  12 hours and the best I could find was 2 star.  

Just now went to hanging dog ranch, camped to the east till evening, road around a bit, ran away from a grizzly, down towards the creek.  3 perfect wolves jump me, dropped 2 but messed up the shot on the third.  

Finally got the pelts for the legend satchel. 

• Like 1

I go to the area north of the lake (I'll try and find the name of the lake) on the west side of the map. Lake Owanjila. Where the legendary buck is supposed to, there are a bunch of wolves there, usually 3-4 if you look at them through your binoculars it will tell you what star they are before shooting at them, it will also say a rifle or poison arrow is the best chance to get a clean kill. I always go for a headshot.

What I personally do is use the Springfield rifle with the medium scope, this allows me to look at them through the scope and if they start charging I press down on the d-pad to use the iron sights. Once they get close I use the dead-eye to shoot them in the head (1-shot). Out of 3-4 wolves usually one will be a 3-star.

Hope this helps and happy hunting!

Why on earth is it taking so long for people to get perfect 3 star pelts? I admit that it took me awhile to get the hang of it, but once I did now it only takes me about 5 minutes. As soon as I see a pack of wolves I immediately grab my Rolling Rock Long Scope rifle. Then I stare down my scope at the pack so that I can get a clean look at each wolf until I spot a 3 star pelt candidate. When I do all it takes is a quick activation of my dead eye and boom... I have a perfect pelt. Do this or go find good ole' one legged Hamish and take him up on his invite to go hunt a legendary wolf. During your hunt you will have 4 perfect wolf pelts readily available when everything comes to an end. I highly doubt that you really spent 12 real time hours hunting for a 3 star wolf pelt. If you did than I highly suggest that you find some time to go on a walk, hike, run or anything that involves moving. Geez, 12 hours on a 3 star pelt. That is a full shift at work for me.

22 hours ago, empathyKILL said:

Why on earth is it taking so long for people to get perfect 3 star pelts? I admit that it took me awhile to get the hang of it, but once I did now it only takes me about 5 minutes. As soon as I see a pack of wolves I immediately grab my Rolling Rock Long Scope rifle. Then I stare down my scope at the pack so that I can get a clean look at each wolf until I spot a 3 star pelt candidate. When I do all it takes is a quick activation of my dead eye and boom... I have a perfect pelt. Do this or go find good ole' one legged Hamish and take him up on his invite to go hunt a legendary wolf. During your hunt you will have 4 perfect wolf pelts readily available when everything comes to an end. I highly doubt that you really spent 12 real time hours hunting for a 3 star wolf pelt. If you did than I highly suggest that you find some time to go on a walk, hike, run or anything that involves moving. Geez, 12 hours on a 3 star pelt. That is a full shift at work for me.

12 hours broken up over 3 days, couple hours hunting, then off to do challenges or explore then hunt for a couple more.  This is just my dumb luck, took me 2 hours just to find a stinkin badger, and the first 4 or 5 of those i saw were all 1 star. The trinket doesn't always bump a large animal from 2 star to perfect.  I've had numerous 2 star kills that were still 2 star hides.  Small animals like the squirrels and birds it almost always gives you a perfect on a 2 star kill.