R* Please STOP the NPCs from swerving into us.

madfretter

You're riding down the road and for no reason, WHAM, an NPC character swerves over a good 2 feet into your way. You fall off your horse and if this happens  near witnesses, you're wanted. Another example of R* adding mechanics just to cause conflict. This is completely unrealistic and takes away from the games immersion. I get maybe a few NPC outlaws doing this to antagonize you, but every single one? Lame.  Also, this makes the cinematic mode utterly useless as you most always will crash and be knocked out of it. This was stupidly annoying in GTA and it is equally as frustrating in RDR2. Make the NPCs harder and stop making the game irritating with additions like this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, madfretter said:

You're riding down the road and for no reason, WHAM, an NPC character swerves over a good 2 feet into your way. You fall off your horse and if this happens  near witnesses, you're wanted. Another example of R* adding mechanics just to cause conflict. This is completely unrealistic and takes away from the games immersion. I get maybe a few NPC outlaws doing this to antagonize you, but every single one? Lame.  Also, this makes the cinematic mode utterly useless as you most always will crash and be knocked out of it. This was stupidly annoying in GTA and it is equally as frustrating in RDR2. Make the NPCs harder and stop making the game irritating with additions like this.

Then they blame you for getting in the way. When that happens, I just shoot them in the face!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

Then they blame you for getting in the way. When that happens, I just shoot them in the face!

5 minutes ago, The Coca-Cola Kid said:

Agreed on this, it’s pretty ridiculous the way it is now. It happens to me at least once every session.

Yea, this is just plain dumb. It wasn't as annoying in GTA because you didn't get wanted, you'd just spin out.

28 minutes ago, madfretter said:

I don't mind the free xp, but when I'm riding across the map for  a challenge or  to hit a hideout, the delay is not welcome.

That ruined several "dry run from Van Horn to Blackwater" attempts for me in story mode... Most of the time I was already past Strawberry too...

The whole wanted level in the game is a joke right now.  It's ridiculously easy to ride out of range and then there are no repercussions from the event.  

As for witnesses, it's a mixed bag IME.  Some will see you as the aggressor while others will simply ride on.  My guess is that some will simply see you as the offender while others may not.  ....but then again, in RDO, it really makes no difference as you can usually be on your merry way before the law gets there.

....and yeah, I also get some folks who bump into me but to be honest, it doesn't happen that often.  I usually just move out of the way and that's fine enough.  .....but when I do bump into someone, leaving the immediate area usually calms things down.

57 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Not as annoying as getting ambushed by a group of NPCs, only to get a wanted level for killing them all when a witness rides by.

I'm surprised they haven't added an option for us to bribe a witness.... I mean... we can buy gold! lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

The whole wanted level in the game is a joke right now.  It's ridiculously easy to ride out of range and then there are no repercussions from the event.  

As for witnesses, it's a mixed bag IME.  Some will see you as the aggressor while others will simply ride on.  My guess is that some will simply see you as the offender while others may not.  ....but then again, in RDO, it really makes no difference as you can usually be on your merry way before the law gets there.

....and yeah, I also get some folks who bump into me but to be honest, it doesn't happen that often.  I usually just move out of the way and that's fine enough.  .....but when I do bump into someone, leaving the immediate area usually calms things down.

I usually avoid it. But it just annoys me to see an npc do this because I know it's only there to slow me down.

In my experience, it's the NPCs who are riding at a walking pace that are the most prone to suddenly turning into your path.  It is clearly by design. They will wait until you are almost right on them, at whatever pace you are moving, and then suddenly turn their horse into your path. The NPCs that are moving at a trot or canter almost never do this to me. As long as you see them ahead of time you can usually set your path to one side or the other and breeze right past them and they just continue on their way.  But, whenever I see an NPC moving at a walking pace on their horse coming my direction, I will give them a much wider birth when I can to avoid their clear intention to get in my way. 

31 minutes ago, Madrigalian said:

In my experience, it's the NPCs who are riding at a walking pace that are the most prone to suddenly turning into your path.  It is clearly by design. They will wait until you are almost right on them, at whatever pace you are moving, and then suddenly turn their horse into your path. The NPCs that are moving at a trot or canter almost never do this to me. As long as you see them ahead of time you can usually set your path to one side or the other and breeze right past them and they just continue on their way.  But, whenever I see an NPC moving at a walking pace on their horse coming my direction, I will give them a much wider birth when I can to avoid their clear intention to get in my way. 

Yup, that's exactly when it happens. I do the same, ride in the dirt and let them have the road. It just really annoys me that R* intentionally put this in the game, it's childish...lol

8 minutes ago, madfretter said:

Yup, that's exactly when it happens. I do the same, ride in the dirt and let them have the road. It just really annoys me that R* intentionally put this in the game, it's childish...lol

I think they do it for the surprise element.  GTA or RDR seems like I will be chasing someone and then the NPCs will run out in front of me.  Now if being chased they will run to get out of the way, in campaign or online.

2 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

I think they do it for the surprise element.  GTA or RDR seems like I will be chasing someone and then the NPCs will run out in front of me.  Now if being chased they will run to get out of the way, in campaign or online.

Yea, but if it happens all the time it's not really a surprise.

• Like 1

Oh, and then there's the wagons that are hiding in the trees at crossroads that suddenly pull out in front of you like they were just waiting for you to come by.  Ugh. 

Initially, this dynamic really aggravated me quite a bit.  But then when I started thinking about it, it's kind of like adding something of a Mario Cart mechanic to the game.  A bit of Arcade flavor, dexterity and awareness, mixed into an open world RPG/shooter.  /shrug  What's wrong with that?  Nothing. As long as you can avoid the crash, that is.  There in lies the trick! lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dIV4r said:

I had this happen quite a few times and some of the times, I end up becoming wanted for it as if I hurt them because they run into me. It is a bit ridiculous. 

At first I thought maybe this is in the game to cause conflicts since theres not a whole lot in the game yet.... But then I remember that it's still in GTA 5 years later... 8/