Favorite self-defense weapon? (PvP)

Gunther

I, like many of you I'm sure, use the bolt action rifle as my go-to weapon for defending myself from hostile players. (That is when out of range of my trusty pump-action) Well I am looking to upgrade from the carbine repeater to another one (mostly for PvE purposes) but was wondering if any of you use a repeater for self defense or if there is another weapon I haven't mentioned that you may prefer? What are yall's preferences? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I, like many of you I'm sure, use the bolt action rifle as my go-to weapon for defending myself from hostile players. (That is when out of range of my trusty pump-action) Well I am looking to upgrade from the carbine repeater to another one (mostly for PvE purposes) but was wondering if any of you use a repeater for self defense or if there is another weapon I haven't mentioned that you may prefer? What are yall's preferences? 

Lancaster or Litchfield with express rounds is better for shootouts.    I like to hold a Lancaster and Bolt Action.  I start with a Bolt Action.. then swap to Lancaster.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris Arbaugh said:

The range and damage that the Litchfield has is unmatched in my opinion. Running split point or express is absolutely the way to go for repeaters. 

I'm literally 1 level away from unlocking new ammo, so I'll definitely have to test it out

• Like 1

I love my Litchfield repeater (fully modded - rifling, sights etc, with express rounds) for all round day-to-day protection, good damage, range and fire rate, plus 16 rounds in the tube.  I'm probably biased due to the fact that I have a real (Italian reproduction) Henry rifle in 44-40 calibre.

Once I am in a proper fight (or going into the PvP lobby) my (fully modded) Springfield, with high velocity rounds does it for me.  The range on it is right up to max, and at any distance it 2 shot kills to the body.  Just let auto aim work its magic, and pull the trigger.

For close work, nothing says 'go away' like dual wield sawn-off shotguns.

Edited by Harlock1796
typo - 16 rounds
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, BurbonChaser said:

I like the bolt action with high velocity ammo for a bit of extra distance and the pump shotgun with slugs.

I've yet to use the slugs. I kinda like the spread pattern making up for my potential mis-aim lol. Is it pretty much a one-shot kill within a decent range?

14 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I've yet to use the slugs. I kinda like the spread pattern making up for my potential mis-aim lol. Is it pretty much a one-shot kill within a decent range?

Haven't noticed a big difference in damage output but gets a better distance. It's also my go to for grizzly hunting, it localized the damage to one spot versus spread.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BurbonChaser said:

Haven't noticed a big difference in damage output but gets a better distance. It's also my go to for grizzly hunting, it localized the damage to one spot versus spread.

Good point. I'll have to try it out

15 minutes ago, BurbonChaser said:

Yeah, although I have doubts the stats tell the whole story, slugs don't do anymore damage than regular shells.  ......again, according to the stats.  In the campaign, it's different as they say they do more damage just like Express rounds do for other weapons.  

Makes me wonder though if this is something where it's just a mistake in the stats and they actually do in RDO or not. 

As for my "go to" weapon, it's the Lancaster.  I tried but found the the bolt action rifle (for me) was a waste of money.  The weapons I use the most are the Lancaster, the pump action shotgun, the rolling block rifle and my two Schofields.  I've been teetering on the Litchfield and the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it is due to its slower rate of fire.  Good to know it holds two more rounds than the Lancaster though.  I may just buy it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Yeah, although I have doubts the stats tell the whole story, slugs don't do anymore damage than regular shells.  ......again, according to the stats.  In the campaign, it's different as they say they do more damage just like Express rounds do for other weapons.  

Makes me wonder though if this is something where it's just a mistake in the stats and they actually do in RDO or not. 

As for my "go to" weapon, it's the Lancaster.  I tried but found the the bolt action rifle (for me) was a waste of money.  The weapons I use the most are the Lancaster, the pump action shotgun, the rolling block rifle and my two Schofields.  I've been teetering on the Litchfield and the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on it is due to its slower rate of fire.  Good to know it holds two more rounds than the Lancaster though.  I may just buy it.

See, now I'm stuck debating between Lancaster & the Litchfield... hmm 🤔

2 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Yeah, although I have doubts the stats tell the whole story, slugs don't do anymore damage than regular shells.  

Up close regular shells actually do more damage.

Slugs just have much better range.  So at long range.. Shooting someone with a slug does more damage than regular shells.  You can even headshot someone with one shot at really long range with slugs.    Sawed has the worst range.

• Like 1

I don't play showdown modes but self defense wise (as in I am suddenly being attacked at short range in free roam) I run with Winning streak ability combined with double mausers (express on 1 / high velocity on the other). You might miss a few shots, but the amount of bullets along with the damage stacking due to WInning Streak ability, have saved me quite often.

As far as the best repeater - I love the lancaster however haven't tried the litchfield in online as of yet. This is also on the to do list :D