Standing in my camp with white flag raised....horse was stolen?

Jackthestripper

So, the other day I decide to go solo and do some hunting near my camp.  With pink dots everywhere I like to stay close to the camp.  Well, 2 griefers come by and start shooting at me while in my camp.  No problem, I know that they can't kill me.  However....one of them decides to walk in and get on my horse.  I thought maybe the white flag was down, but it was up.  He takes off to Blackwater with the other tool he was riding with, but he had MY horse! I thought we were safe in the camp with the white flag up.  Does this not include horses?  I mean I whistled and another one came, but I am confused.  

21 minutes ago, Jackthestripper said:

So, the other day I decide to go solo and do some hunting near my camp.  With pink dots everywhere I like to stay close to the camp.  Well, 2 griefers come by and start shooting at me while in my camp.  No problem, I know that they can't kill me.  However....one of them decides to walk in and get on my horse.  I thought maybe the white flag was down, but it was up.  He takes off to Blackwater with the other tool he was riding with, but he had MY horse! I thought we were safe in the camp with the white flag up.  Does this not include horses?  I mean I whistled and another one came, but I am confused.  

You're safe from being killed, that's it. One time some jerk lassoed me while I was at my campfire crafting. You can set it so that only you or your posse members(if you wish), can ride your horse.

Edited by Vaderspupil
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vaderspupil said:

You're safe from being killed, that's it. One time some jerk lassoed me with I was at my campfire crafting. You can set it so that only you or your posse members(if you wish), can ride your horse.

Thanks for this info.  I haven't played online a whole lot since finishing the story mode.  I guess in the future I will set it the way you mentioned.  While I'm at it I mine as well stand back, lower the white flag, shoot the griefer(s) and then raise it quickly again.  A taste of their own medicine lol I wish it was like GTAO where nobody can come into your apt unless invited.  

7 minutes ago, chocolatefinch said:

I thought it did. Was it tied up or just free?

It was just standing there.  Also, it is so ironic that you replied because when I replied to @Vaderspupil I was referring to a method mentioned in one of your posts I read literally a few mins before lol Also good information knowing you can raise the flag from another area of the camp.  Will definitely be using that, however only against griefers 

10 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

You're safe from being killed, that's it. One time some jerk lassoed me while I was at my campfire crafting. You can set it so that only you or your posse members(if you wish), can ride your horse.

I need to amend my previous statement. You can be killed in your camp if you are the one randomly chosen as the assassination target from one of the strange missions. Your camp will not save you in that scenario.

Horses are separate.  You have to set them so that they can only be ridden by you or people you allow as mentioned above.  Had this happen to a friend, but he kept storing the pelts on his horse and while we was hunting another player rides up, hops of his horse, tried to get on mine at this point I yell at my friend.  So we run back, the player then jumped on his with all his pelts, whistled, and rode away.   We pursued but by the time we got to the butcher, the player had already sold everything.

I recommend just being more vigilant. I'm almost always on my horse or it's following me. If anyone comes to my camp while I have stuff on my horse I call it over to me or get on it. I usually immediately sell anything I get to avoid theft. And yes I have my horse set to friends only.

14 hours ago, chocolatefinch said:

You're not safe from the griefers anyway it seems lol.  Most of the time,  any town I enter they are just waiting up on the rooftops to sniper you. Just wish I were better and faster at this game,  either that or join a big gang and let them go in first  😁

I am not great at this game either, granted I haven't played much due to the server kicking me constantly and not having anyone to roll with.  I also fear going into any town with a bunch of people waiting around the towns.  I have a couple friends I met on here that I play with from the UK who are really awesome to play with, but I have a hard time keeping up being a level 8 and not having a lot of fire power at this point.  I go on for about 3-4 hours a week...waiting for the beta to finish before I really dive into it.  Anxious for the update R* mentioned to fix the griefing. 

• Like 1

Due to the griefing I've not been online that much since Xmas.  I'm only lvl 19 online, but hopefully if Rockstar fix the griefing I'll be playing it more and leveling up in the future. Broke my leg just before Xmas, so off work and have time to play more than I would normally.

Edited by chocolatefinch
spelling

1 hour ago, chocolatefinch said:

Due to the griefing I've not been online that much since Xmas.  I'm only lvl 19 online, but hopefully if Rockstar fix the griefing I'll be playing it more and leveling up in the future. Broke my leg just before Xmas, so off work and have time to play more than I would normally.

Yes, once the griefing is fixed I will dive right in for sure.  I know there is an update coming soon, which will (from what I read) implement a system where the griefers have a much larger pink blip on the map, and a bounty that has to be paid in a certain amount of time, and also a system where other players only appear on the map if they are a certain distance away from you.  Also, if the fine is not paid on time, NPC bounty hunters will be looking for you.  I am anxious to see how well this will work.  I think it will be great, or at least I am hoping lol Also private servers would be nice

Edited by Jackthestripper

@chocolatefinch @Jackthestripper I've had griefer issues since the get-go. a posse makes a huge difference in my game experience and you're welcome to ride in mine (The Grey Hares). Get your ammo at camp or your posse camp and avoid towns. Check the map for pink or red blips before you decide which butcher to use and ride the railroad tracks or overland instead of using the roads. The one thing you won't be able to prevent is the rooftop sniper that hangs out St Denis right across from the butcher... As a posse leader, I'm responsible to protect my crew😉👍 and have no qualms putting a high-velocity round into that guy's melon. 

38 minutes ago, Major Dammidge said:

@chocolatefinch @Jackthestripper I've had griefer issues since the get-go. a posse makes a huge difference in my game experience and you're welcome to ride in mine (The Grey Hares). Get your ammo at camp or your posse camp and avoid towns. Check the map for pink or red blips before you decide which butcher to use and ride the railroad tracks or overland instead of using the roads. The one thing you won't be able to prevent is the rooftop sniper that hangs out St Denis right across from the butcher... As a posse leader, I'm responsible to protect my crew😉👍 and have no qualms putting a high-velocity round into that guy's melon.

I have rode with him and we had fun, though we didn't have issues.  Being in a Posse can make a difference and co-op is usually more fun.  Only problem is him and I just don't seem to be on very often at the same time.

Edited by YodaMan 3D

When someone enters my camp that I don't know (Not just passing through but actually loitering) I drop a stick of Dynamite at their feet and watch them get blown to hell.  Just make sure you're far enough away to not get caught in the blast as well. Sometimes it will kill them, sometimes it won't. Not sure what the difference is.  Either way though, it makes them leave. 

Edited by Madrigalian
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 5:17 PM, Major Dammidge said:

Thanks for your reply. I've been doing all that since I started online.  Once  I spawn, I generally grab my horse, and move my camp to an area (if possible) where there is very few to no other players.  From there I just do missions and hunting and what not in that area until it gets populated with other players.   I haven't really ran into a ton of griefing, due mostly to my strategy.  Sure I've been shot a few times, but mostly cowardly snipers from across the lake, or rooftops like you mentioned.    There are always times here and there where you need to go somewhere and have to go around just in case the blips are griefers.  I avoid St. Denis like the plague...it always seems to be heavily populated. My wife (who wasn't a gamer until 6 months ago, thanks to me lol) started online on the weekend, and I had her using the same strategy.  She's now up to level 11 which is a good start. Someone chased her down the other day and when she shot at him, the bullet went right through, and his horse ran right through hers before he shot her. He was ghosting. Also, I am on PS4 as well otherwise I would love to join your posse, as I don't have anyone to roll with.  I have a few people I met and have played with a few times, but they are higher levels and while I appreciated them inviting me, I feel I am slowing them down as my horse can't keep up riding to missions and my weapon inventory is limited.  I am looking for an actual posse with lots of members but have had no luck with anyone really replying back.  I have 2 PS4's and as soon as I get a new HD in the old one, my wife and I can play online together.  I am just not sure how to hook it up.  I know I will need another copy of the game obviously, but I also think that if we are playing off the same internet connection I would need 2 PSPLUS accounts.  She would love to have someone to roll with too, for when I'm not playing, but she is too shy to friend people. I guess that's a lesson for her for another day lol 

• 4 months later...
On 1/20/2019 at 4:17 PM, Major Dammidge said:

Look for ANY color blips. Blue blips are sneaky a lot of time and will shoot you as fast as a red blip.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:00 AM, Jackthestripper said:

I haven't really ran into a ton of griefing, due mostly to my strategy.  

......and that right there plays a much bigger role than I think some would care to admit.   I couldn't agree more.  Although it's rare that I get griefed in this game, I'll go as far as to say most of the time it was my own fault usually for being too complacent.

Things like Defensive Mode do help but if folks don't do their part by adjusting their playstyle, none of these features will make much difference as they will continue to be victims to some extent or another.

• Like 1