Can ya help a poor old man out

Jersey Devil

Not a gamer. Retired and was given RDR2 as a gift. Completed the story, but mostly by skipping missions after I failed 3 times.  Playing as John after story just to practice and learn. Try to go back and visit old sites for nostalgia.  Some missions though, won't allow me to skip anymore and I am not good enough to complete them as I am overwhelmed by outlaws and still cannot get the hang of using Dead Eye.  Examples, going back to old hideout at Shady Nest  I find Lamoyne boys there and cannot defeat them. And the cave with jewels west of Annesburg toward the river. So many gang members I can't  kill and get the jewels. So...question is, can I skip these missions somehow?   Also, in the cave, would I get to skip it after three fails playing as Arthur in the story?  As I said, I am by no means a gamer, but I find this game to be amazing. Any help would be appreciated. TYVM

Edited by Jersey Devil
spelling

I am not sure if this is the case for this game or not, but the more tries you do the same mission (depending on the type) the easier it gets. I don't know if Rockstar implemented this or not so don't take my word for it but if this is the case, just keep trying and it will get easier for you.

Can anyone verify this? I didn't struggle enough on any missions to notice a change. 

Well, best advice I can give you is slow down, go hunting, learn your weapons nuances and capabilities, this will develop stamina and dead eye, plus you will gain experience.

The more you do thins, the more you earn xp points and gains in health, Stamina, and dead eye, the early dead eye sucks, I do not like it at all, but after a while you will get past that and then it gets really nice.

Try doing some challenges, those also help you, if you are playing as John, you can buy the largest satchel, this will let you hold a lot more than previously and with that you can stock up on herbs, particularly thyme, mint, and oregano, as you can craft big game meat with those and they will fill your bars and cores, so you can fight and survive;

The key to dead eye, is developing it as high as you can as you go along by doing a lot of hunting, and taking out Odriscolls where you find them.

Practice, you can reload an old save and play some earlier missions of you want, or just go to the menu and replay any story mission in the game, problem is you get a standard limited load out when you do that so it is always better to use a save file.

I would either start over, I played it three times all the way til the very end, and loved it every time, the third time was the best, I really got a lot out of it.

Anyway if you dont want to do that, you can just work on hunting at first, then upgrade all your weapons at the gunsmith, longer barrels, rifling, etc.. practice and just have fun.

Good luck with it.

Slow down Jersey!! You are struggling in missions because you haven't developed the skills to be successful. 

In my opinion the Story is absolutely the worst part of this game,  avoid missions and knock out some challenges like the Master Hunter, Horseman and Explorer. 

Only do Story missions when you need to unlock something. When Bill starts showing up trying to get you back to camp youll know your playing slower.

I recommend restarting and when you get to chapter 2 go hunting in the local and larger area until you max out your levels. This will improve your skill at the game and make the missions going forth as easy as they can be.As well as getting you enough money early on. Also make two save files EVERY TIME you save so if you don't like what happens you can go back and try different approaches. I got my wife good at gameplay by having her do the chores as john, I tried to teach her with Arthur but she shot someone...

Edited by Dewy1314

Even though I played the whole game, all 6 chapters and both epilogues, I do not have the skill to defeat 20 guys in a dark cave. Remember, I am retired, meaning I am old and was never raised as a gamer. Doubt I will ever have the skills to complete some missions without the ability to skip them after multiple fails. But thank you for your kind help and encouragement.  Guess I will just do what I can. I do not use any cheats so I guess... well ...  I'm dead.   :)  Just to give you an idea of the type of games I played in my lifetime.  PONG.  Yup, I was there  when it all started.  And MYST, which as some of you older players might know, never required shooting anyone.  And Baseball with auto field turned on.  Thats it!!!

Edited by Jersey Devil

In combat against a group of people, get used to taking cover behind walls/crates/etc.  Do this with the RB/R1 button.  You can then aim with the left trigger, snap off a shot and then get back into cover again.  You really don't need to be standing out in the open (it works for Rambo, but not many other people).

1 hour ago, Foxtrot said:

In combat against a group of people, get used to taking cover behind walls/crates/etc.  Do this with the RB/R1 button.  You can then aim with the left trigger, snap off a shot and then get back into cover again.  You really don't need to be standing out in the open (it works for Rambo, but not many other people).

That is a solid piece of advice.

I am also an old fart and have learned to use the pause button to my advantage. It gives me some time to plan out my stratagy and think about my next move and how to execute it. I can check my health and make mental notes of where the "red dots" are and generally just get my sh!t together for the next assault. I dont let the game rush me. If I get killed it doesnt bother me.....I use it as a preview for my next attack. Sometimes I will just run like hell through the action to get an idea of what I am up against. If it takes me 9-10 times to get thru a fight, so what? I'm retired. Trophies be damned!

I went from computer games (keyboard) to console games (joystick). It took me awhile to adapt. I have punched my horse more than I would like to admit. I still have to write down basic controller commands because my memory is trash. My crib sheet saves some time and frustration. I keep my moves as basic as possible and I dont care if my horse can drift or not. "Shoot, run, hide......I have no pride" is my motto. 

• Like 1

Usually, you can get into cover behind something and let the bad guys come to you, one at a time. 

When they stop coming, it’s usually safe to move up to another covering position and repeat until all the bad guys are gone. 

Just don’t forget to top up on health items/food when required. 

Dead people don't have any Pride either I think you have a good strategy! I'm an experienced gamer and I have Killed My Horse by accident numerous times come early on I also punch the horse and got kicked in the face and died immediately! Don't be ashamed of that the buttons and button activations in this game can be quite finicky for everybody

34 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

Dead people don't have any Pride either I think you have a good strategy! I'm an experienced gamer and I have Killed My Horse by accident numerous times come early on I also punch the horse and got kicked in the face and died immediately! Don't be ashamed of that the buttons and button activations in this game can be quite finicky for everybody

Not everybody but yeah, some seem to have more problems than others.

6 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

Can you say the loot or study feature hasn't vanished on you? That's what I mean by finicky...it everybody pushes the wrong button though. My wife does constantly! She spends more time looking at the controller than the tv!

The loot / study feature? Not that I recall.

As for pushing the wrong buttons, again, my point is that it's not a problem everybody has although some seem to struggle or be on a steeper learning curve than others.  Like most games, it takes a few minutes for me to get used to the controls / UI but once I get into it, I'm fine.  ......whether that's a new game or one I haven't played a while.  

Also, Jersey if you do decide to either start over from he beginning, or just reload old saves, in chapter 2 you are very limited at first, so there are a few things you definitely want to do first.

Get the legendary buck trinket by hunting the lg buck, this will make pelts more likely perfect pelts as you progress.

Also, upgrade your satchel in Chapter 2, all the way to the max, if you do this, you will be ready for anything.

The bigger satchel, allows you 99 of each item, and well that really helps in a lot of ways later on.

Also, go get the gold bars you know about ie crashed train cars or abandoned burnt buildings cough cough, without giving anything away.

If you load up on cash and gold early on as well ad work toward the satchel, this will give you more than enough $$ and with that you can get either the Springfield or bolt action rifle and then add a scope, with this gun you can hunt anything larger than a raccoon or bird and expect perfect pelts from clean head shots, and the varmint rifle for everything else.

If you go this route, you will have money, good weapons, fortified dead eye that you are versed in and plenty of experience so that when you need to fight you can.

as others stated, avoid story missions as long as you can and do all the side missions, but before that load up on the satchel upgrade, camp upgrades and stuff like that to get your character all ready for action.

Again god luck, lots of great advice on this thread for you to try.

Hiding is good advice. I was able to fight reasonably well in the story, its just AFTER the story ends and you play as John.. Peoplr shoot, you hide, then a gang comes from outside into the cave.  You turn to fight them 10 guys and get bumrushed by the original gang.  My only question is this:  In the game AFTER the whole story ends, playing as John, some encounters never allow you to skip no matter how many times I fail, just keeps putting you back in your original starting point. so I never get the opportunity to explore the area furthur.. I guess I suck at this.  How the hell do you kill 20 guys alone in 30 seconds ??? (boo hoo) :)

I'm getting great advice and I truly do appreciate it.  I have tons of weapons and good health, stamina and dead eye levels.  I just must not be making myself clear.  Sorry.  I am NOT talking about playing online.  I am playing in story, but after I have completed the required story.  Playing 8 years later as John, living on Beechers Hope.  there are missions where computer outlaws are so abundant that I just cannot defeat them, and so I cannot search the area or cave any furthur.  Sucks   Sorry to be a pain in the ass.  But thanks all anyway.

20 minutes ago, Jersey Devil said:

Hiding is good advice. I was able to fight reasonably well in the story, its just AFTER the story ends and you play as John.. Peoplr shoot, you hide, then a gang comes from outside into the cave.  You turn to fight them 10 guys and get bumrushed by the original gang.  My only question is this:  In the game AFTER the whole story ends, playing as John, some encounters never allow you to skip no matter how many times I fail, just keeps putting you back in your original starting point. so I never get the opportunity to explore the area furthur.. I guess I suck at this.  How the hell do you kill 20 guys alone in 30 seconds ??? (boo hoo) :)

you do what i did, shoot all you can and then when the ones come in from behind... RUN!!  take cover in a spot where you can face both from the same direction, then use the cover and shoot them all dead.

Sorry, I didnt realize that the Murfree brood cave was still in play after the main story.

There are several walkthru's available online that can provide some tips. (search Murfree Brood cave)

I used stealth with arrows for as long as I could and then some dynamite. The rest was six guns and watching my health.

All of the gang hideouts get refilled after you’ve captured them. I’ve had to clear out Shady Belle about four times. 

Its easier just to avoid them, there’s rarely a need to clear them again unless you want a fight on your hands. 

51 minutes ago, buttlint said:

Sorry, I didnt realize that the Murfree brood cave was still in play after the main story.

There are several walkthru's available online that can provide some tips. (search Murfree Brood cave)

I used stealth with arrows for as long as I could and then some dynamite. The rest was six guns and watching my health.

Found videos. Satisfied my curiosity.  Thought I could find gold in cave, but, apparantly not as John.  Thanks for the help everyone. I am sure I will be annoying everyone a lot more in the future.  I guess Rockstar figures that at this point in the game, you should be able to shoot 20 guys in no time by then without any need to "skip mission"... they never figured on me playing this though :)  

Ah  lol I see where you are.

The Murfree group your talking about,  I waited outside the cave entrance and let them run out a few at a time, I used dead eye and made a huge pile of them, the others that wont run out I dealt with a few at a time in the same way, find a spot they will have to walk through, a narrow point or entrance, or find cover and as they come after you, just pick them off.

I looted all of them outside after they stopped coming out and that time brought a few more closer to the entrance, so take your time.

Like any good fight, you need to plan these out, hide at first, decide when and where to start the fight, etc..

If you just run into them, unexpectedly that is hard, and we all struggle when that happens.

Yeah. See?  tough!  I make the mistake of going right in and get trapped when they all run in from outside behind me. Will try a differant approach.  I must say that everyone here seems to be very helpful considering I am Video Game Challanged . Thanks

I’m the same, I usually set the difficulty levels in games down to a low setting as I’d rather enjoy the game rather than get frustrated at getting killed so often. 

In this game, it makes sense to take your time, there’s no need to rush these battles. 

Anther tip is to hold the ‘down’ on your d-pad this will expand your mini map and you’ll see where your enemies are at a larger distance. 

And dont bother going back to gang hideouts when you’ve already clear them...

15 hours ago, Jersey Devil said:

I guess I suck at this.  How the hell do you kill 20 guys alone in 30 seconds ??? (boo hoo) :)

You don't suck you're just a beginner and you're clearly getting better.

Something's the game did not outline for me (they tell you you unlock it but they don't tell you how to do it) I had to figure out for myself much much later was that with a high Deadeye level there's a button you push to mark your opponents. I always have thyme big game meat to bolster my core and then before I kill 20 guys I'll drink snake oil. Then activate your dead eye and once you're cursor is on their heads click the button, once there is an x on every one of their heads pull the trigger, and then watch all 20 people hit the ground. Did eye is in slow mo so you should be able to practice this until you get good it also helps to practice with birds

I actually played through the entire game without using this ability because I couldn't figure out how to do it and it was frustrating because I unlocked it in chapter 2, once I started using it though it made the game simple

I did not know there were difficulty settings.  I have read  or watched instuctions on how to use Dead Eye at least 20 times and still cant get it, but I will figure it out as John before I play the story again.  I realize that practice and patience is invalueable. Good thing its Winter and the lakes are still froze, and I am not going fishing (in real life).  I am catching legandary fish in the game though :)

3 hours ago, Jersey Devil said:

I did not know there were difficulty settings.  I have read  or watched instuctions on how to use Dead Eye at least 20 times and still cant get it, but I will figure it out as John before I play the story again.  I realize that practice and patience is invalueable. Good thing its Winter and the lakes are still froze, and I am not going fishing (in real life).  I am catching legandary fish in the game though :)

So I found a good place for you to practice covering killing with John, I just did Fort Mercer and it is a great run gun and hide location with only around 10:15 enemies, if you're using PS4 it's the R1 button to mark Dead Eye targets

14 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

So I found a good place for you to practice covering killing with John, I just did Fort Mercer and it is a great run gun and hide location with only around 10:15 enemies, if you're using PS4 it's the R1 button to mark Dead Eye targets

i wouldn't use dead eye on groups like that, but that's just me, each play their own way.  It's fairly simple to get a headshot,  aim, tap the left stick up and shoot.  headshot every time unless they're moving or move when you fire.

1 minute ago, Kormath said:

i wouldn't use dead eye on groups like that, but that's just me, each play their own way.  It's fairly simple to get a headshot,  aim, tap the left stick up and shoot.  headshot every time unless they're moving or move when you fire.

I wasn't advocating using pure Dead Eye on that particular location I just mixed the posts

That being said however I find no greater enjoyment then shooting 15 enemies dead in a single second... 

Just now, Dewy1314 said:

I wasn't advocating using pure Dead Eye on that particular location I just mixed the posts

That being said however I find no greater enjoyment then shooting 15 enemies dead in a single second... 

yeah i got it, just saying :)

i love the Lancaster repeater (third one, i may have the name wrong) and the dead eye at the oil refinery.  There's a shack on stilts on the east edge with a generator looking thing in it.  Kill a few people, hide in there and they'll all bunch up around the wagon and crates and stuff outside the shack,  you can dead eye all your ammo there if you're quick enough, then reload drink a dead eye tonic and do it again.