RDR2 has ruined all my games

lumper

My loooong winded complimentary rant about this game.

If you have a life just skip it,

I bought Far Cry 5 a week before I bought RDR2, I bought RDR after I finished RDR2 the second time, because I didnt want the story to end, I have other games I used to love and play daily, COD WW2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, etc..

After playing RDR2 three times now and having just started the online part, I just cant play my other games.

Rockstar really got this right despite any shortcomings with online.

I was stoked about Far Cry 5 for a long time, I only played Far Cry 2, never saw another so I figured 5 has to be great right? I loved 2 it was really fun.

It looked good, I played it a few times, and then I played rdr2, now I just cant bring myself to turn it on, lol.

This  game is too good and I want to tell every other game maker, hey, you, step it up!! this is what we need, these physics, graphics, AI, etc.. you want to make a ww2 game, fine, make it like this, make a fictional sci fi game, great!! like this though!! lol

These npc's and random encounters and stranger missions and side stories, holy cow!! this is it!! this is how I would to see games coming out work on.

honestly Im shocked as the money seems to be in online games and I am not a big online player, other than COD ww2 I really do not play games online, too many hassles and headaches, cheaters, lag etc..

So to make a game this deep on the single player side I feel like it was made for me

When I started playing video games it was in the early 1970's

Zaxxon was an early 3d game at arcades and later on I think Colecovision maybe? I dunno we had it though,  The Adam computer that ran on cassettes, lol, not even floppys yet.

I loved it and I remembered thinking, I hope games keep getting better.

Then later Goldeneye came out and blew me away, but then Quake 2 came out on pc and if you had a decent gamer, lol like a 400 mhz p2 or something you could play it at 99 fps at 1600x1200 and we were blown away!!

That started about 8 years of building gaming pcs and over clocking them long before you could actually do it like today, we used graphite pencils and connected circuits on the chip itself to unlock multiplier's and open up the Front side bus, because if you did it right, you could take a pc game and crank the settings to the max and still get 60 fps, for a few years this was all I did.

then came Half life, and counter strike, then HL2, and Crysis, and veitcong, eventually Call of Duty world at war.

All of that led to Red Dead Redemption 2 and it was a wild ride.

Now that we are here, I can say this is the apex of gaming in my lifetime, the smoothest running highly detailed game I have ever seen, I am very thankful people are so dedicated to this that I was able to witness the entire evolution from pong to RDR2.

I'm old, but I'm a gamer, always have been, as an adult I either have had gaming pc's or the latest consoles on 70" 4k tvs, it just makes me smile and think about 10 year old me, and how awesome this is compared to the old  black and white spare tv in the basement playing Atari games like pitfall and breakout.

End Rant, RDR2 is amazing, the sp side of it is unparalleled.

Even the online side for a Beta is great! and only goign to get better, it is simply amazing and after playing it for a few months it is easy to get desensitized to it and forget how awesome this game really is.

• Like 5

Good post @lumper

it was fun, lots and lots of fun, i was addicted, just shy of 18 days total playtime in story mode on my first play through.  but then i hit the burn out,  I go all out and play something non stop like this and then it takes a lot of will power after it's over to go back and do it again.

Love the game though, still think it's one of the best games ever made, just time for me to take a break and go shoot bad guys in The Division 2 tonight after work :)  I still play now an then on weekends, doubt i'll ever play online, i don't have the patience to play with the spoiled little kids (or adults with the brainpower of little kids) online anymore.

• Like 4

SO much fun, except online, I have tried it several time, I dont get it, I only get angry by people doing stupid things, I dont even understand how to protect myself, so I wont be playing it again, but the Sp was awesome.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't really do online versions of many games - there's always far too many people who want to make sure that you're not enjoying yourself.  My lifestyle (being a mature adult) means that I'm not able to be online at set times so that I could session up with like-minded people.  So I stay offline.

I also played Far Cry 5, back when it first came out and loved it.  You probably will as well, once you shake off the urge to mount horses and shoot at birds.

I'm not sure that many things will be able to replace RDR2, I have just totally loved being part of that world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zinussan50 said:

Get yourself into private session. Unlike passive mode, this session you can invite friend to join. Then you can enjoy the game 

There is no private session option in RDO.  ......unless you're talking about an exploit. 

39 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

There is no private session option in RDO.  ......unless you're talking about an exploit. 

Yeah.... as you said  

Anyway,  private session is patch. So, I rest my case 😑

Damnit rockstar 

30 minutes ago, zinussan50 said:

Yeah.... as you said  

Anyway,  private session is patch. So, I rest my case 😑

Damnit rockstar 

Ahhh....  I think I know what you're talking about now.  

Yeah, I heard they patched it out.  I'm not against using certain tricks mind you (depending on what they are used for).  I still use the MTU setting to force myself into sessions alone in GTAO.  Was disappointed it wouldn't work in RDO though.

8 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Ahhh....  I think I know what you're talking about now.  

Yeah, I heard they patched it out.  I'm not against using certain tricks mind you (depending on what they are used for).  I still use the MTU setting to force myself into sessions alone in GTAO.  Was disappointed it wouldn't work in RDO though.

Yeah , I did that trick on gtao  

I totally gave up with this game. They pursue something not very important. But things like horse bonding bugs still exist. 

I bet this bugs gonna be like buzzard shoot rocket bug in gtao. Which kill me if answer my assistant bitch's call 😅

1 hour ago, Dewy1314 said:

I feel a little burned out so I just picked up Fallout 76 is this the same as Fallout 5? I just saw it on Redbox and got excited!

I would have suggested you did a little research before pulling that trigger but what's done is done.....

In short, it is the 5th installment of the Fallout series but a departure from the gameplay you may be used to in the previous titles.  ....and I hope you're sitting down for the next bit of news but this one is online.  I don't believe there is any offline component to the game and I know you may not have a PS+ account. 

I won't even get into any of the problems and controversies surround this latest iteration of the franchise but you may want to dig around a bit. 

2 hours ago, Dewy1314 said:

I feel a little burned out so I just picked up Fallout 76 is this the same as Fallout 5? I just saw it on Redbox and got excited!

I really liked Fallout 5, especially the building aspect of the game. I would be tempted  but as Kean pointed out, there is nothing but negative reviews. 

But then there is this! 

The guy builds a maze, kindly invites people into his maze, then lets his pet Deathclaw rip them a new one. Genius!

13 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I would have suggested you did a little research before pulling that trigger but what's done is done.....

In short, it is the 5th installment of the Fallout series but a departure from the gameplay you may be used to in the previous titles.  ....and I hope you're sitting down for the next bit of news but this one is online.  I don't believe there is any offline component to the game and I know you may not have a PS+ account. 

I won't even get into any of the problems and controversies surround this latest iteration of the franchise but you may want to dig around a bit. 

3$ wasted!!!and update hours I'll never get back!!! Games need to have a disclaimer of they are online only! I'm very disappointed in Bethesda! Not everyone likes to interact PvP!!!!!

1 hour ago, Dewy1314 said:

3$ wasted!!!and update hours I'll never get back!!! Games need to have a disclaimer of they are online only! I'm very disappointed in Bethesda! Not everyone likes to interact PvP!!!!!

Yeah, they caught a lot of flak from fans for departing from their usual formula but stuck to their guns to the end. 

15 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

and I hope you're sitting down for the next bit of news but this one is online.

This is the one and only reason i won't play Fallout 76 or Fallout 5 or whatever you wanna call it.  I hate games that force you to play online only.  I want to have that choice, so i choose not to play them :)  I loved Fallout 3 and 4, was very disappointing to find i had to quit the series.

25 minutes ago, Kormath said:

.....was very disappointing to find i had to quit the series.

I think Bethesda realizes now what a mistake it was to force this change of direction on their longtime fans.  It really hurt the series reputation and trust some folks had in them to deliver a true Fallout experience IMO.

Personally, I think they should have focused on the SP and went with just co-op for the MP element.  I think more people would have been way more receptive to that as they could then share the story with friends.  I know my group of PSN folks I play with would have been all over it. 

Personally, Fallout is not the kind of game I necessarily want to experience with randoms.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kormath said:

This is the one and only reason i won't play Fallout 76 or Fallout 5 or whatever you wanna call it.  I hate games that force you to play online only.  I want to have that choice, so i choose not to play them :)  I loved Fallout 3 and 4, was very disappointing to find i had to quit the series.

57 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I think Bethesda realizes now what a mistake it was to force this change of direction on their longtime fans.  It really hurt the series reputation and trust some folks had in them to deliver a true Fallout experience IMO.

Personally, I think they should have focused on the SP and went with just co-op for the MP element.  I think more people would have been way more receptive to that as they could then share the story with friends.  I know my group of PSN folks I play with would have been all over it. 

Personally, Fallout is not the kind of game I necessarily want to experience with randoms.  

I agree with you completely this is not a game I'm willing to play with Griefers, I might have been willing to find a couple like-minded to play a multiplayer story but that's as far as I go.

This isn't them going against the fans as you posted earlier this was a mistake like I quoted you. I have lost interest in Bethesda if they don't fix this which would make me very upset because if anybody knows from my other posts... I had just decided to focus on companies, and I had chosen Bethesda... anybody know who makes Far Cry?

I'm coming back Ubisoft! I'm also a huge fan of No Man's sky so I'm keeping an eye on Hello Games

Edited by Dewy1314

13 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

anybody know who makes Far Cry?

Ubisoft.   .......but if you were upset by RDR2 being a restrictive open world, might want to think twice about FC5 or at least do your research first.  

Personally, I thought it was the worst game in the franchise on several levels but that's not to say that you won't like it.  For me, it was the lacking end-game, atrocious flight controls, forced capture sequences and progress, weapon balance, lack of weapons (several variants of the same guns), weapon stats that make no sense, AI, lack of scalable difficulty with coop (not enough enemies or difficulty), etc., etc.  

1 minute ago, Foxtrot said:

The fishing was cool though.  I wish the fishing in RDR2 was more like the fishing in FC5.

Yeah, there were some elements I recall that I liked.   .......not enough to get me over the rest of the things I hated about the game though.  It's the first game in a long time I decided to rush through simply so I could uninstall it.

1 minute ago, Foxtrot said:

I enjoyed it ok.  I'm sure I'd enjoy it a lot less after playing RDR2.

It's going to take something really exceptional to gain my attention in the same way that RDR2 has.

I'm currently playing The Division 2 like @BropolloCreed79 but it's all about co-op for me.  Just taking a little break from RDR2 for now but I will be revisiting the game every now and again especially after updates.

• Like 1

So people might find this funny but literally the only reason I picked up rdr2 was because somebody I shouldn't have trusted told me that I could use a cart... my biggest problems with these games is the fact that they limit my carrying capacity when there are carts all over the game that I can't interact with... one of these days I'll find a game where I can cut down some trees and build my own house closest game I have found is no man's sky you guys want open world that's open universe!

Don't like your ship then grind sell and buy a bigger one? don't have enough carrying capacity by a freighter still not enough by a bigger freighter! You want to be a fighter by a fighter you want to be an Explorer by an explorer do you want to do your own thing then customize your ship however you want!

Too bad they released that game with a lie ..." it'll be open Universe multiplayer, but it will be so big that you'll never be able to find anybody else don't worry! " ... very first day :hey bro meet me on Cell Salon Seven oh wait not multiplayer... they have fixed it now and the game is great but they lost way too many people and they released that game two years early... at least for the way they advertised it

I didn't mind it because a whole universe single player is just enough room for me LOL but a lot of people did obviously! 

Edited by Dewy1314

9 minutes ago, Dewy1314 said:

So people might find this funny but literally the only reason I picked up rdr2 was because somebody I shouldn't have trusted told me that I could use a cart... my biggest problems with these games is the fact that they limit my carrying capacity when there are carts all over the game that I can't interact with... one of these days I'll find a game where I can cut down some trees and build my own house closest game I have found is no man's sky you guys want open world that's open universe!

Don't like your ship then grind sell and buy a bigger one? don't have enough carrying capacity by a freighter still not enough by a bigger freighter! You want to be a fighter by a fighter you want to be an Explorer by an explorer do you want to do your own thing then customize your ship however you want!

Too bad they released that game with a lie ..." it'll be open Universe multiplayer, but it will be so big that you'll never be able to find anybody else don't worry! " ... very first day :hey bro meet me on Cell Salon Seven oh wait not multiplayer... they have fixed it now and the game is great but they lost way too many people and they released that game two years early... at least for the way they advertised it

I didn't mind it because a whole universe single player is just enough room for me LOL but a lot of people did obviously! 

Sean Murray lied about way more than MP aspect of the game.  NMS is the one title I can honestly get on board with people who felt they were cheated and lied to.  .....there's simply no escaping that fact.  Some of the videos that popped up showing clips from interviews, etc. and then the reality after release provided all the evidence one would need. 

I preordered and promptly uninstalled it after discovering just how shallow the game play was.  The NEXT update certainly helped but I still got bored with it.  There is another update being teased that is rumored to be pretty big.

If you like building things and if you like survival games,  check into the Forrest.  I bought it for $19 on sale and was quite surprised how addictive it was.  You can play solo or with friends.  It has survival elements like ARK but is better IMO.  It's been one of the best bargain games I've purchased.  With buddies, it's really fun.  .....crafting items, building structures, acquiring resources (e.g. plants, hunting, chopping down trees for wood, etc.).  

3 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

If you like building things and if you like survival games,  check into the Forrest.  I bought it for $19 on sale and was quite surprised how addictive it was.  You can play solo or with friends.  It has survival elements like ARK but is better IMO.  It's been one of the best bargain games I've purchased.  With buddies, it's really fun.  .....crafting items, building structures, acquiring resources (e.g. plants, hunting, chopping down trees for wood, etc.).  

I'll look for and pick this up today like I said I want a little break thanks for the advice! Real quick is Ark the one where you can tame dinosaurs my buddy was telling me about it and it was starting to Peak my interest I just didn't have time for a new video game then...

1 minute ago, Dewy1314 said:

I'll look for and pick this up today like I said I want a little break thanks for the advice! Real quick is Ark the one where you can tame dinosaurs my buddy was telling me about it and it was starting to Peak my interest I just didn't have time for a new video game then...

Yeah, that;'s the one.  The Forest is very similar in some respects but it's about being trapped on an island after a place crash.  .....but you soon discover you're not alone.

I think it can only be downloaded though (digital copy).  Also, I would make sure to watch a couple videos or read some reviews.  ......and make sure there is no requirement to be online while playing. I don't believe there is but I don't want to see you buy it and find out I was wrong.

I had fun with Ark as well but not as much as I did with the Forest.  Everyone is different though.