The Road Ahead

nshanny73

1 step forward..  20 stumbles back.

Game doesn't have a griefing problem.  It has a lack of lobby option problems..

Those changes they added actually make it easier for hostile players to 'grief'.    Which is basically R* trade mark at this point. 

Lemat and new co op mission are good.  Lack of free aim lobbies means it will turn boring quickly.

By the sounds of it, you’ll be able to set yourself to free aim as well as prevent others from auto-aiming you, while still keeping your auto-aim for hunting/PVE. You’ll also be immune to the cheap headshot and avoid getting bounty or aggressive player status for fighting back. All without being completely immune to those who really want to pick a fight with you. Sounds about as close as you can get to catering towards all tastes while still keeping the player base in the same lobbies... I’m excited to see how it all works out in practice.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

By the sounds of it, you’ll be able to set yourself to free aim as well as prevent others from auto-aiming you, while still keeping your auto-aim for hunting/PVE. You’ll also be immune to the cheap headshot and avoid getting bounty or aggressive player status for fighting back. All without being completely immune to those who really want to pick a fight with you. Sounds about as close as you can get to catering towards all tastes while still keeping the player base in the same lobbies... I’m excited to see how it all works out in practice.

Not sure how this is going to turn out, but it's something. Clearly not what I wanted as an anti griefer, but it's something and worth giving a try.

I'm building a character in another title right now so I can hold off playing this griefer filled game until these new changes are incorporated. I think I actually look forward to how this is going to turn out.

If nothing else, it seems this might be Rockstar, finally (though a bit timidly), telling the "but it's the Wild West" crowd to rein it in. Hey, isn't it almost 1900 in this game? It's about time.

Edited by Netnow66

By the sounds of it, it’ll be a good balance. (Perhaps after some fine tuning). I never wanted to be immune to being killed or attacked. But I hate getting taken out by the cheap shot when I’m completely distracted by something else. This method at least someone needs to put the effort in if they want to pick a fight and I won’t let suprise instakilled. I can then take care of the situation without fear of getting a bounty or a bad guy blip.

don't get me wrong, I’m sure it’ll be barely playable on initial release, but it sounds like they’re moving towards the world I actually want to play in. Still some danger, options for you to be a white hat or a black hat, a lobby potentially filled with players of all walks to make encounters interesting... But I guess we’ll see.

Personally, I liked the changes in the last TU with the proximity and colored blips along with the revised parley mechanic to include whole posses.  I'll tell you the truth though, I never got to use that feature as I only ran into a couple situations that would have warranted it if they had been able to kill me outright.

What I wasn't happy about and agreed with those who raised hell about it was the fact that you would be penalized for self defense.  I'm quite glad to see they will be attempting to address that in the upcoming update with the new Hostility system.  Attackers will be marked as enemies and victims will not be penalized with a bounty nor any ding to their hostility level / blip status.  

I also like the fact that players will have the option of a Defensive or Offensive play style.  ....and the fact that Defensive will make engagements with others free aim.  This should really help newer players out as they won't be so easily steam rolled.  ....and if they are, they still have options.

The Offensive option still keep the current game play the way it is so folks have that choice. 

Beyond all that I think it's important to note that R* has clarified their vision in this last announcement.  With all the back and forth over what Free Roam is or what some thought R* intended it to be, I think it's now quite clear and frankly, I am happy to know it was what some of us have been expecting.

That's not to say that there won't be problems, exploits ,etc., but I do like that they are trying.

• Like 2

its laughable at best!!! they clearly can add free aim so wtf are they waiiting for?!?! defensive players wont die by headshots etc... simple they can just shoot you with explosive rounds or throw tnt at you before you can take them out  lmao what a ridiculous addition.

• Like 2

Yes, it appears the vision is becoming clear... you can be an outlaw or not as you personally see fit, but there are advantages and disadvantages to either side. It seems they’re going to encourage the free roam PvP while at the same time trying to curb it so free roam doesn’t become a giant free for all death match. I’m curious to see how the bounty system settles out down the road. I think it would be fun to have a more player involved bounty system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Born Homicidal said:

its laughable at best!!! they clearly can add free aim so wtf are they waiiting for?!?! defensive players wont die by headshots etc... simple they can just shoot you with explosive rounds or throw tnt at you before you can take them out  lmao what a ridiculous addition.

Why not give it a chance before tearing it down? We don’t know how it’ll all add up yet, or how it’ll be fine tuned down the road. It sounds like a good balanced approach to all tastes... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

Why not give it a chance before tearing it down? We don’t know how it’ll all add up yet, or how it’ll be fine tuned down the road. It sounds like a good balanced approach to all tastes... 

excuse me kind sir. this new system will have so much work around to it, will be exploited, used to griefers advantage etc... trust me there are a vert few free aim players but I for one could easily use this against anyone since i dont need the auto aim bonus of attacking. this will be manipulated sooo hard lol

4 hours ago, Born Homicidal said:

As if they don't already do that...

Had one dude yesterday waste all of his dynamite and explosive ammo on me and a couple friends (he still died 9 times out of 10). 

Edited by Renascent

7 hours ago, The_Liquor said:

This game has a lobby option problem..  So theres really no need to keep dumbing the game down even more with a bunch of convoluted ideas.  

Give me a hardcore lobby.  All free aim.  No ability/passive cards.  (Dead eye only makes your aim perfect/no recoil).  Blips only show up when shooting and players are in ear shot.   No stupid defensive/offensive/bounty systems.

If R* would simply add more lobbys..  People would actually be happy.  I know I would.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

This game has a lobby option problem..  So theres really no need to keep dumbing the game down even more with a bunch of convoluted ideas.  

Give me a hardcore lobby.  All free aim.  No ability/passive cards.  (Dead eye only makes your aim perfect/no recoil).  Blips only show up when shooting and players are in ear shot.   No stupid defensive/offensive/bounty systems.

If R* would simply add more lobbys..  People would actually be happy.  I know I would.

Well, maybe your right. But I have the feeling no matter what they try, there will always be a fraction of the players that will do the best they can to find exploits to the system to take advantage of. And there will always be a fraction of players that find something wrong with whatever rockstar releases/patches/fixes and complain about it... Me, I think this system sounds like a good balanced approach, since it appears that for the time being at least we are all sharing the same lobbies. I’ll reserve my condemnation of the idea until after I’ve had a chance to try it out.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, HuDawg said:

1 step forward..  20 stumbles back.

Game doesn't have a griefing problem.  It has a lack of lobby option problems..

Those changes they added actually make it easier for hostile players to 'grief'.    Which is basically R* trade mark at this point. 

Lemat and new co op mission are good.  Lack of free aim lobbies means it will turn boring quickly.

Is it just me, or do they seem to be actively trying to make it worse, as opposed to better?  At this point, I'd almost rather have the launch version of Beta back, with some minor tweaks to the blips on the mini map, and that's it.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s not just you, but I can’t say I agree with you quite yet. It’s actually sounding like it’s getting closer to be free roam I envisioned at first. Law and outlaw, Wild rebels and settlers/homesteaders, all interacting on the same map with rewards and risks whatever side you choose. Of course, I’m also half expecting a major disappointment, but I like to see it and give it a chance first.

20 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Is it just me, or do they seem to be actively trying to make it worse, as opposed to better?  At this point, I'd almost rather have the launch version of Beta back, with some minor tweaks to the blips on the mini map, and that's it.

It's not just you.  Others feel the same way but then again, there are others that don't.   I guess I fall in the latter category.

Although unsure initially, I liked the changes in the last TU and I like what I'm hearing about the upcoming updates.  Seems to me R* is hell bent on a "one size fits all" Free Roam and while I may not agree with that direction, I have to say that I like that they are at least trying to establish a balance in FR. 

Personally, I think it was pretty evident by R*s description of Free Roam throughout that they intended it as a playground for all play styles (i.e. solo, PvE & PvP).  .....but along the way some dismissed that notion and argued that it was supposed to be a PvP free for all, etc.  I think now that R* has delivered a more clear explanation of their vision in the latest "state of beta", that argument has become more of a wish or request than what some thought of as a goal the devs had.  

For the sake of others who have asked for it, I do hope that someday they introduce hardcore lobbies and private sessions.  .....but in the current situation with only a one-mode RDO as our only choice and all else remaining unchanged (e.g. auto-aim, explosive ammo, perks, etc.), I actually like the changes and this tweaking of the balance is what will (personally) keep me playing.

As for how it will all shake out, I agree with @The_Liquor that time will tell.  I think some folks will simply move on, others will stay and new players who like the changes will join in.  .....as always.

7 hours ago, HuDawg said:

This is the best solution without lobbys becoming pathetic and dull.keep the game free of all these rules.just work on content.then people may not be as bored as they are.seems to me the game lacks massively in actual cowboy content.therefore people make there own up.we want outlaw baddys we got them in the form of griefers.never thought i would say this but what is rdro without the griefers.i get frustrated but also enjoy at same time.

Rockstar need to add another map to this game for higher level players who want be free.like the dark zone in division.full on cowboy fun.i have an awful lot of ideas on how this game could go.but quite a process to be heard.

Use this existing map as a stepping stone to rank up and learn the game.i want to see the early days of new york come into play.first cars.make it a history lesson whilst we play.

Edited by Kean_1
Combined your consecutive posts for you
  • Like 1

Cars, although they existed, were kind of a rarity in the late 19th early 20th century... though I’m sure over time content will trickle in. Though New York (Liberty City?) probably won’t make the cut lol... a long horse ride from The bayou 

Only said new york because it wss talked about by dutch in story mode.it can be done.we can build on plots of land and build new york.and cars yes a rarity.but will cost alot.so only grinding players will achieve these.it dont need to be the size of new york does it.it can be a small start that we join into lobby with the land we have bought.its a game.theres always way if we want it

5 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

What?!  Bro, do you even internet?  Disproportionate outrage over ideas and concept is cyberspace's bread and butter!

Perhaps I’m just a little to old to be that Millennial...

forget world of Warcraft, I remember when Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans was the game to play

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 1