Has anyone pre ordered Google Stadia or plan too for rdr2?

lumper

I am very curious about this platform for this game.

The most important part will be your internet connection.

Supposedly you can run games that your own pc would not be able to render on its own and as long as your connection can handle it in theory you can run the game at 4k 30 - 60 fps.

If this is true, I am going to do this, or at least look closer at it.

I have a lot to learn yet though as it is new and I havent had any experience with it, but it gives me hope.

I cant afford to build an appropriate gaming rig to do what I want it to do, it woudl cost me upwards of $4000.00 to build what I consider a decent gamer, and lets face it, thats just crazy.

If I were  in tech still or did a lot of video encoding, etc.. I might justify it as a write off and use it to make money, otherwise it is just a toy for gaming, and most likely mainly for rdr2.

BUT if I can find a way to superscede it and stream the content at those settings, I am all in. 

Kean, do you think the boards need a Google Stadia section as it is a new platform and could be a real way to play rdr2 on pc without a very expensive rig?

Edited by lumper

37 minutes ago, lumper said:

Kean, do you think the boards need a Google Stadia section as it is a new platform and could be a real way to play rdr2 on pc without a very expensive rig?

Do I think it warrants a different section?  No, not personally.  It's not like PC.  If anything, it is more similar to a console which is already blended anyhow.  PC comes with a lot of unique aspects that XB1, PS4 and even Stadia do not.  .....but let's see how it plays out and what the owner wants to do.  To be honest, there has been very little discussion on the topic around here up to this point.

10 minutes ago, lumper said:

Supposedly you can run games that your own pc would not be able to render on its own and as long as your connection can handle it in theory you can run the game at 4k 30 - 60 fps.

I have a lot to learn yet though as it is new and I havent had any experience with it, but it gives me hope.

I cant afford to build an appropriate gaming rig to do what I want it to do, it woudl cost me upwards of $4000.00 to build what I consider a decent gamer, and lets face it, thats just crazy.

If I were  in tech still or did a lot of video encoding, etc.. I might justify it as a write off and use it to make money, otherwise it is just a toy for gaming, and most likely mainly for rdr2.

BUT if I can find a way to superscede it and stream the content at those settings, I am all in. 

$4000.00 is ridiculous where on earth did you get that figure? I built my gaming rig myself it's basically plug & play for under £1000, I'm thinking of getting the PC version just got to upgrade my graphics card.

4 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Do I think it warrants a different section?  No, not personally.  It's not like PC.  If anything, it is more similar to a console which is already blended anyhow.  PC comes with a lot of unique aspects that XB1, PS4 and even Stadia do not.  .....but let's see how it plays out and what the owner wants to do.  To be honest, there has been very little discussion on the topic around here up to this point.

Understood, see I am not sure but from what I am reading, I thought you were getting the pc version essentially with Stadia vs the console version, but maybe I have that wrong.

To run it at 4k 60 fps and 8k 120 fps sounds more like pc to me, but maybe it is the console version just amped up?

Stadia runs the game on their servers, which are of course, pc's not consoles,

I am just not sure yet as it is so new, anyway thanks for the input, I only asked because I thought perhaps it would be different than console or pc and would warrant its own section, but once it is out and we actually have people using it maybe we can judge that better then.

Edited by lumper

3 hours ago, Ozy8753 said:

$4000.00 is ridiculous where on earth did you get that figure? I built my gaming rig myself it's basically plug & play for under £1000, I'm thinking of getting the PC version just got to upgrade my graphics card.

If you look at Ryzen prices, and current builds with benchmarks they are doing right now, a $1000.00 system can def run the game, but not at 4k 60 fps, perhaps with some tweaking, but not with everything on, and for me, if I am going to go to pc over console it is for one reason, to see the max settings, meaning lighting effects on, shading, etc.. and at or over 60 fps with dips into the 30's and 40's so never a laggy moment.

To get there takes a LOT of tech,, just the chips and gpus will cost you over $1000.00 no motherboard or case, etc..

Ive been watching builds on youtube for years and current builds are running budget under $1000, over $1000, from $3500 to $6000.

The higher end machines are the only ones I would expect a true 4k at 60 fps experience, but again, I am guessing, until it actually gets released we cant be sure.

Now with pc games sure you can alwasy back off settings to get higher frame rates, but my whole point with all of this is to experience rdr2 at the most amazing settings possible.

So, max settings, everything on ultra high, @ 4k and always over 60 fps I think is going to take a pretty hefty machine.

Again, once it is out and players have loaded it, we will see.

In the past I built dozens of rigs, often tey would run me around $2500 to build, and that is just the platform, mobo, chip, memory, storage, gpu, and power supply, after that I woudl just swap out older cases, and other peripherals. 

Whenever I do a build for myself I always try to figure out what will get me into the top 1% of performance builds, thats just me, sure I can play games with much more budget  conscious machines but then I would just use my xbox if I want to go that route.

If my xbox one x can get me 4k at 30 fps with dips in St Denis, and Valentine to under 20 fps then a pc needs to do a LOT better.

For $450 I can already get 4k 30 fps as I do now, no need to go to pc for that, to me, if I am going to pc it is for the ultimate experience.

If Stadia can get there for $130.00 plus a $9.99 monthly fee then im in, but I want to see it, I want to see it running at 60 fps or higher with some of the settings that were shut down on console to free up frame rates, but again, time will tell.

Edited by lumper

37 minutes ago, lumper said:

Understood, see I am not sure but from what I am reading, I thought you were getting the pc version essentially with Stadia vs the console version, but maybe I have that wrong.

To run it at 4k 60 fps and 8k 120 fps sounds more like pc to me, but maybe it is the console version just amped up?

Stadia runs the game on their servers, which are of course, pc's not consoles,

I am just not sure yet as it is so new, anyway thanks for the input, I only asked because I thought perhaps it would be different than console or pc and would warrant its own section, but once it is out and we actually have people using it maybe we can judge that better then.

....but you don't need a PC to run it.  Hell, you can connect via a Chromecast dongle and their controller.  That is what I meant about Stadia being more like a console than a PC as far as the end-user is concerned.  Everyone is basically running off of the same platform. The key will be your internet connection / capability as that will play the biggest role in your performance.     

PC gaming is a different animal with players dealing with all sorts of different hardware and settings.  ....and then there are the mods, hacks, etc. unique to this platform.  

I honestly don't see a reason to open a Stadia sub forum at this time simply because there really hasn't been a lot of interest shown around here.  ......but like I said, let's see how it goes and what the owner wants to do.

7 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I honestly don't see a reason to open a Stadia sub forum at this time simply because there really hasn't been a lot of interest shown around here.  ......but like I said, let's see how it goes and what the owner wants to do.

If we don't already have separate forums for PS4 and Xbox, I don't see why one for Stadia would be warranted.

Its great to get everyones opinions since we really dont know what to expect as of now.

I was hoping that it would be a way to play the pc version on any device because the game itself is being hosted on a powerful server, if this is true, you are getting pc content that consoles dont get, you are getting graphics and frame rates also not available on console so again, I am curious as to how it will all play out, not saying it will be good or not or better than a console version,  but I hope so, lol.

15 minutes ago, lumper said:

Its great to get everyones opinions since we really dont know what to expect as of now.

I was hoping that it would be a way to play the pc version on any device because the game itself is being hosted on a powerful server, if this is true, you are getting pc content that consoles dont get, you are getting graphics and frame rates also not available on console so again, I am curious as to how it will all play out, not saying it will be good or not or better than a console version,  but I hope so, lol.

That could all be true but the difference is that it's dictated at their end. The consumer will only be limited (essentially) by their internet performance and capabilities of their monitor. .....e.g. HDR, 4K, etc.  Frame rates may also be throttled based on the users internet performance.

2 hours ago, lumper said:

I've signed up, can only give it a go sounds OK to me, I have fast internet here in the UK but sounds like a lot of people are going to struggle to reach 35mbps.

With Stadia, you can stream up to 4K, 60fps, with 5.1 surround sound, at a minimum internet connection of 35Mbps. On Google's end, it's using the following hardware specifications:

• Custom x86 processor clocked at 2.7GHz w/ AVX2 SIMD and 9.5MB of L2+L3 cache
  • Custom AMD GPU w/ HBM2 memory, 56 compute units, and 10.7TFLOPs
  • 16GB of RAM (shared between CPU and GPU), up to 484GB/s of bandwidth
  • SSD cloud storage

• 2 weeks later...

Red Dead Redemption 2 – Rockstar Games’s hit open world Wild West action game is coming to the PC, and it will be a Google Stadia launch title.

The above sentence excited me, I think they will be broadcasting pc versions of most games as well as developing games specifically for Stadia in time, but for now, the games they plan to release I beleive are pc versions.

Now if thats true, the for me there is no need to build a high end rig to play rdr2 @4k/60 fps, Stadia will broadcast the game at those settings as long as you have the pro version and your bandwith can handle it.

That is not to say that if you have or you get a high end pc you can very likely upgrade your settings perhaps even further, I dont know, I also dont know how much freedom you might have with Stadia to tweak settings or turn them on higher to see what your max settings are, we will have to wait for it to release to find that out.

I ran a test to see where I would be and I hit 87 Mbs whereas they are calling for 35 min to get those settings.

So for $130, plus 10$ a month it seems, I am not sure yet, but it looks like you should be able to play rdr2 pc version on your 4k tv via a google compatible device or Chrome as long as you have Stadia, I really hope so anyway, this is the only way I am going to be able to experience the game at those settings.

If that is true, I am going to get it for two reasons, to see the extra content we dont get on console and to see the game at its highest settings, or higher settings than my xbox one x.

I get 4k now but I dont get 60 fps, sometimes I might, I really dont know, but I do know for sure many times it is way lower than that, even into the teens at times, and if I can find a way to run the game at 4k /60 fps without purchasing a new rig, I am all in.

Edited by lumper

On 11/4/2019 at 9:13 PM, lumper said:

Red Dead Redemption 2 – Rockstar Games’s hit open world Wild West action game is coming to the PC, and it will be a Google Stadia launch title.

The above sentence excited me, I think they will be broadcasting pc versions of most games as well as developing games specifically for Stadia in time, but for now, the games they plan to release I beleive are pc versions.

Now if thats true, the for me there is no need to build a high end rig to play rdr2 @4k/60 fps, Stadia will broadcast the game at those settings as long as you have the pro version and your bandwith can handle it.

That is not to say that if you have or you get a high end pc you can very likely upgrade your settings perhaps even further, I dont know, I also dont know how much freedom you might have with Stadia to tweak settings or turn them on higher to see what your max settings are, we will have to wait for it to release to find that out.

I ran a test to see where I would be and I hit 87 Mbs whereas they are calling for 35 min to get those settings.

So for $130, plus 10$ a month it seems, I am not sure yet, but it looks like you should be able to play rdr2 pc version on your 4k tv via a google compatible device or Chrome as long as you have Stadia, I really hope so anyway, this is the only way I am going to be able to experience the game at those settings.

If that is true, I am going to get it for two reasons, to see the extra content we dont get on console and to see the game at its highest settings, or higher settings than my xbox one x.

I get 4k now but I dont get 60 fps, sometimes I might, I really dont know, but I do know for sure many times it is way lower than that, even into the teens at times, and if I can find a way to run the game at 4k /60 fps without purchasing a new rig, I am all in.

I'll be running the game at the medium settings with my Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT NITRO+ 8GB GDDR6 some won't even be able to do that, even the RTX 2080 Ti at over a £1000 wouldn't be enough to run the game at the ultra settings at 4k', hopefully we might be able with stadia.

26 minutes ago, Ozy8753 said:

I'll be running the game at the medium settings with my Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT NITRO+ 8GB GDDR6 some won't even be able to do that, even the RTX 2080 Ti at over a £1000 wouldn't be enough to run the game at the ultra settings at 4k', hopefully we might be able with stadia.

As far as I can see, hardware has little to do with it.  It's all about connection speed / performance.  Hell, you can run games via a Chromecast Ultra @ 4K and a Stadia controller from the looks of it.  As long as your TV/monitor is compatible with the features (e.g. 4K, HDR, etc.) and the device you are using to stream to it, you're good to go I would imagine.  The processing power in relation to running the game is supposedly all on their end.

....of course, we have to wait to see how well all that works in practice once it arrives.

21 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

As far as I can see, hardware has little to do with it.  It's all about connection speed / performance.  Hell, you can run games via a Chromecast Ultra @ 4K and a Stadia controller from the looks of it.  As long as your TV/monitor is compatible with the features (e.g. 4K, HDR, etc.) and the device you are using to stream to it, you're good to go I would imagine.  The processing power in relation to running the game is supposedly all on their end.

....of course, we have to wait to see how well all that works in practice once it arrives.

The hardware I'm talking about is for running the game on the PC version which has nothing to do with stadia? what I was trying to say if people haven't got a PC capable to run it wait & play it with stardia pro! so hardware has a lot to do with it if you want to download the game from R*

Just now, Ozy8753 said:

The hardware I'm talking about is for running the game on the PC version which has nothing to do with stadia? what I was trying to say if people haven't got a PC capable to run it wait & play it with stardia pro! so hardware has a lot to do with it if you want to download the game from R*

I just saw your last remark about Stadia and about hoping folks can run it.   

So I learned a lot in 2 days.

To run the game at 4k / 60 fps  at high or ultra settings is gonna take at the very least the 2080 ti I think it is one of the 2080's along with the I9 chip will do it, a system with dual 2080's has been running it smooth as butta for Tagback on his channel.

Then I watched a ton of benchmarks videos, the only way to get to 4k/60 at high or ultra settings is the above formula.

If you want 1080p at ultra and high settings there are several options, some not very super high end either.

I already play it in 4k at 30 fps and lower so for me, I just want to find a way to increase frames @ 4k, the only reasonable option for me is going to be Stadia.

And I found out they do not run pc versions, they are developing and have been developing their own versions specifically for Stadia, so my hope of playing the pc version for the added content is a bust, BUT I did find a way to get it at 4k/60 without buying any pc hardware.

Also, Stadia will own and maintain and upgrade the hardware and find better and better ways over time to deliver 4k/60 or better, so for now this seems to be the least expensive way to obtain 4k/60 fps if you own a 4k tv or monitor.

Edited by lumper

On 10/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, Ozy8753 said:

To clarify, I meant to run the game at 4k/60 fps or better at ultra or high settings.

To do that takes one or two 2080's and they are over $1000.00 each, the I9 9900 cpu is another $1000.00 or so, and that is before motherboard, storage, memory, etc.. so $4k is actually on the low end, because if I were to spend the money on the 2080's I would def go witht he high end options elswhere to really open it all up, it runs around $6000.00 all told.

So, if you want to run the game at 1080 sure, you can do that on a very conservative pc you dont need a super pc or high end gamer really, just a well set up and optimized system with a decent gpu and cpu and memory.

My point was on xbox one x I play at native 4k 30 fps, I was hoping to either A see the pc added content OR find a way to play the game at 60 fps or more on high or ultra settings.
Thee Stadia will deliver 4k/60 but I dont know at what settings, I am sure there is some balancing  and these numbers probably dont indicate at ultra settings not to mention if they develope the game like SOny or Microsoft then you wont even have those setting option within the game, it will just be set for you and you have minimal input.

A few people online have built these gaming rigs with 1 and 2 2080's and they are running the game at 4k 60 and it looks amazing, they dont have everything cranked, but they do have most things set to ultra, the flow of the game is just on another level when you get 60 fps at those settings, it is a really great way to experience this game, sadly I wont be able too, but I think 4k 60 from Stadia might still be an improvement over the xbox one x, at times in Valentine and St Denis my frames drop into the teens, usually only in those two spots and only for a few seconds but still I would like to see it never drop like that if possible.

Edited by lumper

• 2 weeks later...

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 NOW AVAILABLE FOR STADIA

f8b911e57c3a982978eee0a8a9f792934408db79

Experience the epic story of Arthur Morgan and the infamous Van der Linde gang in a brand-new way with Red Dead Redemption 2, now available as a launch title for Stadia. 

Featuring a range of new content from the recently released Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC, Red Dead Redemption 2 for Stadia includes new bounty hunting missions, gang hideouts, characters to encounter, treasures to discover, weapons, horse breeds and more.

Red Dead Redemption 2 for Stadia also includes a new Photo Mode to capture creative images in Story Mode and add Filters, Stickers or Text then upload them to Social Club to share with the community.

Red Dead Redemption 2 for Stadia also includes free access to the shared living world of Red Dead Online - and playing Red Dead Online on Stadia by December 16th will get you a bonus of 25 Gold Bars to help facilitate your experiences across the frontier.

Pick up Red Dead Redemption 2 on Stadia by December 31st to receive bonuses for Story Mode including the Outlaw Survival Kit, War Horse, Treasure Map, and more.

November 19, 2019

So, my hope was that Stadia would offer RDR2 to those who bought the pro version, had fast enough internet speeds and a 4k tv could in fact play the game at native 4k/60 fps as advertised.

However, after seeing all the examples of it, comparing the image quality side by side to the pc and X1X, it is clear this is not the case.

See it would have been fantastic to be able to play the game at the same or better image quality than the X1X except at 60 fps instead of the xbox's 30 fps, to me it was worth spending the $200 game included to achieve this.

The game looks fantastic in native 4k even at 30 fps, problem is that in certain areas those 30 fps dip down in the teens, my hope was that 60 fps might only dip into the 50's and remain very smooth, however.....

Come to find out after some searching and talking to supervisor techs at Google Stadia, they in fact run the game at an upscalled 1080p image to 4k, so it is not the same, doesnt look as high quality and doesnt measure up to side by side comparisons.

It will not look better than what you are currently seeing if you play on an X1X on a 4k monitor or tv.

My hope was this was an inexpensive way to get closer to pc clarity and smoothness for a very modest price.

I saw the choices as either buy a next gen console, $500 or under, build or buy a gaming rig capable of running native 4k @ 60 fps with quality settings cranked up to Ultra and high but the cost is very high, $3500 to $6000 or possibly Google Stadia.

They advertised it as such, but as I said above, turns out that technically isnt the case.

So although I am sure I am in the minority of players who would have re purchased the game only to experience it at a better quality and high frame rates, this is not the case, so I wanted to put a bow on the subject with some definitive information.

There is still a market for Stadia once they work out the kinks,  if you are a 1080 player, it is pretty good as is, and the ability to pause it and put it to another device and continue seems like a great idea for some.

If I just wanted to play at 1080p I would def consider the Stadia as the cost is very attractive, but if you are like me and only in search of the best over all gaming experience you can achieve with this game Stadia isnt an option.

It has its place in the market and I am sure it will only get better in time, I dont think it was meant for or will try to become a competitor for the best quality image as compared to pc or X1X that just doesnt seem to be their concern at least not at this point, who knows what the future might hold, but as of now, if you want to see the game at its best your two options are as mentioned earlier, a pc or an X1X, and a next gen console that might offer it at 4k/60 fps, which is my next target as that would still be a lot less expensive than a gaming rig, although it may never rival the pc's ability to crank up settings to ultra on everything and still achieve 60 fps or more, it does promise to be a solid 2nd place and 2nd best way to see RDR2 in all its glory at least right now, we will have to wait and see what actually happens when the next consoles are made available to us.

Edited by lumper

I think that game streaming tech will never really settle amongst PC gaming enthusiast. You aim for the fidelity of the PC Enthusiast but there's obvious no cheap trick to it. :)
I chuckled when you said 1080p upscaled and actually i was suspecting that was the case. To render a 4K @ +60fps in full settings, would take the power of dual 2080ti's, going 1080p is so cheap and the target audience wont even notice (non entusiasts). 

I believe other games with a more static graphical presence will do better on a streaming platform, like Anno 1800, turn based games and the likes. I tried nvidias streaming platform on my wifes Windows Tablet and that was really fine, a few hiccups but still better then the tablet would be able to perform.

Edited by Anteronoid

On 10/25/2019 at 1:19 PM, lumper said:

From my understanding, Stadia is not doing to well at the moment. I would advise anyone to wait until they work out the issues. Server side gaming is an interesting idea and will bring in a lot of new gamers whom otherwise can't or will not payout the current price for gaming consoles, but it still has a lot of work that needs to be done before it is ready. 

Edited by Vendetta

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, Stadia is having some launch issues although for many it is working very well.

My issue with it is that it doesnt offer what I was hoping it might.

I was oping to  hear they were using a version of the game that would be 4k/60 native similar to the X1X but with the same or even better graphics settings, so that you would be able to have the best image quality in native 4k and have it at 60 fps as opposed to 30 fps on X1X.

the fact is the game is being played at 1080 up-scaled to 4k and doesnt look as good as the X1X.

Since the pc launch I was looking for a way to experience the game @ 4k/60fps with equal or higher settings that I get now.

So looking ahead short of building a very powerful and expensive gaming rig, my only other option is to wait for the next gen consoles to come out and see if they can run the game at 4k/60 with equal or better settings.

My game looks amazing as does everyones, I play it on a 70" 4k screen no hdr, my next tv will be a 65 - 77" 4k hdr with bandwidth to handle 4k/60 and above, potentially 120 hz or fps when that arrives.

But I was looking to see if I could improve on it, or if I could run it at 60 fps maybe the slow downs in St Denis, Valentine, and a few other spots would be reduced to levels that wouldnt be so apparent, I really hate it when it bogs down to under 30 fps. I dont know for sure what it drops too but it seems to drop into the teens at times in those areas.

The Stadia looks great for some, if you are on the go, like to play 1080 games, have multiple devices to play on, and dont have a current gen console or do but arent 100% happy with it, it can be great, I have seen many people enjoying it, its just not what I was looking for sadly, I had very high hopes.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

PC Gamer / 2020-06-01 05:12

(Image credit: Gearbox Software)

While Stadia continues trucking away and we'll be seeing more game streaming in the future from Microsoft and possibly Amazon, gaming up in the clouds hasn't really shaken things up yet. Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick is among those who haven't been wowed by the technology so far, believing that Google may have overpromised. 

"The launch of the Stadia has been slow," he told viewers of the Bernstein Annual Strategic Decisions Conference (cheers, Gamespot). "I think there was some overpromising on what the technology could deliver and some consumer disappointment as a result."

Back in November, Joanna was impressed by how well Stadia worked with games specifically designed for it, like Gylt, but was less convinced by the performance of games like Destiny 2, where pixelation and stuttering were serious issues. 

"Stadia is just like all the other cloud gaming platforms I've tried," she said. "Often great for singleplayer games, terrible for multiplayer if your internet isn't up to snuff."

Six months later, this is still the case. In some cases, the barrier for entry may be even higher than the alternative. A new console isn't cheap, but it's easier to buy one than it is to wait for your area to get the infrastructure needed to enjoy problem-free cloud gaming. 

Zelnick also questioned the size of the audience. Take-Two released a trio of games for Stadia at launch, expecting to increase the pool of players, but now Zelnick isn't certain that there are enough people who want to play console games but don't already own a console. 

"The belief that streaming was going to be transformative was based on a view that there were loads of people who really had an interest in interactive entertainment, really wanted to pay for it, but just didn't want to have a console. I'm not sure that turned out to be the case."

This doesn't mean that the publisher is done with the platform. Zelnick says that it will continue to "support high-quality streaming services", but only if the business model makes sense. 

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry, but 4K 60 FPS on anything other than a high end gaming PC is a gimmick. The average console gamer will not pay the prices needed for a consoles that can deliver a true, 4K 60 FPS gaming experience with high graphics. I'm building a 2K gaming PC and just bought a RTX 2070 Super for just over $600.00 shipped. 

Maybe server side gaming can delivery a true 4K gaming experience in the future, but we still have a way's to go. 

Edited by Vendetta