perfect deer skin

harry747

i'm trying to get some perfect deer skins, but every time i find a 3-star deer and i shoot it, it goes down to 2 or sometimes 1 star. this happens every time, no matter what i shoot it with, even if i aim for the head. very annoying. what am i doing wrong?

and BTW, i can't get a perfect squirrel either :-(

When you shoot 3 star deer, you aren't guaranteed a perfect pelt no matter what gun you us or how good your aim is. You have to keep doing it till it happens. I think perfect pelts drop like 50% or less of the time.

I respectfully disagree with the first reply. If I see a 3 star animal I never have any problems getting the 3 star pelt/carcass. The key is, you must be using the correct weapon, it must be a headshot and you have to kill it in 1 shot. Deer must be killed with a long rifle of some sort: rolling block, carcano, bolt action or a bow. Use your scope or binoculars to check the rating of the animal before you shoot to verify its a 3 star. If you go to story mode and check your compendium it will tell you exactly what weapon to use to get a perfect pelt, assuming the animal is a 3 star before you even attempt to take it down and that you've studied the animal. I have a lot of time in this game and have never experienced the same issue youre having so just double check youre using the correct items. Also, find a 3 star squirrel and then use small game arrows with a head shot to get your perfect pelt. Hope this help

• Like 1

I'd certainly priotize getting the Buck Antler Trinket as this helps with the quality of pelts.  This will allow you to be less than perfect with your aim on three star animals.  I don;t think it will upgrade a two star animal to a three star pelt, no matter how good your aim is.

That could be the case - I read somewhere that there's a 10% chance of a two star pelt being uprated to a three star with the trinket.  I'll take a look at the official guide when I get home to see if there's any more information there.

After a certain point in the game, I only bothered targetting three star animals if I wanted the pelt for anything.

Hint for you 
Bolt action rifle for Perfect deer/buck/alligator*cougar*panther if   they are headshotted ( killed with 1 bullet ) 
Varmint rifle for all medium/big Birds 
Bow with small game arrow for all small birds or squirrel chipmunk toad bullfrog 
varmint for small animal like rabbit skunk etc 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:35 AM, pluck3 said:

Hint for you 
Bolt action rifle for Perfect deer/buck/alligator*cougar*panther if   they are headshotted ( killed with 1 bullet ) 
Varmint rifle for all medium/big Birds 
Bow with small game arrow for all small birds or squirrel chipmunk toad bullfrog 
varmint for small animal like rabbit skunk etc 

Exactly what he said, but I use my bolt for pretty much everything.  As a rule of thumb hit it in the head and it will retain it's quality level.  If you shoot it more than once to kill it a 3 star will generally drop to 1 star unless you land two head shots you may get a 2 star from it.

A bow will kill anything even a bear if it's shot in the head.

2 hours ago, Boot Smith said:

Exactly what he said, but I use my bolt for pretty much everything.  As a rule of thumb hit it in the head and it will retain it's quality level.  If you shoot it more than once to kill it a 3 star will generally drop to 1 star unless you land two head shots you may get a 2 star from it.

A bow will kill anything even a bear if it's shot in the head.

poison arrow and let animal bleed out for beear cougar panther etc