Moonshiner Sucks at first level... help me believe.

Boot Smith

Roles.. I have access to all of them and here's my take when working with a few mates to help with deliveries etc..

MOONSHINER

Takes an age to get 1 run ready by doing 2 missions to get the price down to $10 then when you actually make a 'short' delivery that isn't most of the time, the slightest bump or gunshot and you lose 1 bottle - that's 40% of your money gone.  Still waiting for the upgrade to the Copper Still, but for now it's soul destroying.

TRADER

As I make more money then Posse members when we do the delivery I'm the only one that stocks Cripps up with Pelts and carcasses, so while they are spending 30 minutes cashing for $50 at the butcher I'm spending 2 hours stocking Cripps up with enough to bang out a delivery.  The trader glitches out more than the others and I've lost about 3 of 8 deliveries due to the yellow area disappearing, the mission yellow line not starting etc... 

Between Cripps and Maggie that's 30 Gold I'm never going to see again.

COLLECTOR

Could do with some tips on how to make some quick bucks with this, I have the Metal Detector and Enhanced Binoculars... just handed in 4 collections after weeks of play so I have made some money, but still everything is such a grind.

I have 60 gold which if I could visit a bank and cash in for dollars that would make life a little easier.

~Boot

• Like 1

Moonshiner: Not a big money maker. Just kind of something that works in the background for some occasional cash, and some drunk fun with posse mates. All you really have to do is pick a few herbs, order some canned peaches.  I usually just order mash, bringing my profit to $176, but not too bad for 48 minutes.   Occasionally I run bootleg missions while waiting for Cripps to produce goods.  I can run 3 shine deliveries while Cripps makes a large wagon bringing it to $528 in 3 hours. 

Trader: 3.3 hours to produce a large wagon for $625.  It will take a lot longer than 3 hours hunting/butcher to make that kind of cash, and YOU are working that whole time instead of Cripps. 

Filling trader materials: once you exploit cougar spawns you only need about 40 minutes of shooting cougars  to fill your materials bar twice.  

So In 3 hours I spend 40 minutes hunting, and almost 2.25 hours free to do shine, collect, bootleg, or bounty hunt (for gold). 

Once you get a system, it'll all work out.  

I played since beta days.  I was amazed when I had $2000.  After roles came out, I own everything (except all clothes)  in the game, maxed cards, full stables, and am sitting on 30k of cash. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Freakshow9191 said:

I played since beta days.  I was amazed when I had $2000.  After roles came out, I own everything (except all clothes)  in the game, maxed cards, full stables, and am sitting on 30k of cash. 

Yeah I remember I made my first $1000... went really quickly.  didn't know that about Cougars, I know where two spawn near where I have my camp, I'll keep that in mind - nice tip.

I guess once I upgrade to the Copper Still and Strong Moonshine it will a little less painful.

Cheers for the advice.

~Happy Gaming.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Boot Smith said:

the slightest bump or gunshot and you lose 1 bottle - that's 40% of your money gone. 

A tip with regards to this: try driving in "aim mode." Basically, start driving and then aim down your weapon and keep aiming (for PC that means holding down the right mouse button.) When you do that, the horses take control of the wagon and follow the route, slowing down for sharp turns or water crossings etc. No more bottles lost due to hitting a bump in the road too fast since I started doing that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flu007 said:

A tip with regards to this: try driving in "aim mode." Basically, start driving and then aim down your weapon and keep aiming (for PC that means holding down the right mouse button.) When you do that, the horses take control of the wagon and follow the route, slowing down for sharp turns or water crossings etc. No more bottles lost due to hitting a bump in the road too fast since I started doing that.

That is a really good tip, I hadn't thought of doing it myself. I generally don't do moonshine missions cause the pay isn't great for the time investment and I tend to play solo which makes it even harder for me. 

16 hours ago, EjectedCasings said:

I've been in my friend's though, and it's cursed...

I spawned in this area once and couldn't get out because there were barrels in the doorway.  I don't own the bar.

8 hours ago, flu007 said:

A tip with regards to this.

Brilliant - I won't wait now for other Posse members, should be a lot easier - thanks.

I'm a solo player, and I totally get the frustration with the Moonshiner & Trader roles. Trader is a total time sink, and Moonshiners seems designed with a posse in mind, at least as far as the deliveries go. The bootlegger missions are easy enough to do alone.

The hunting cart is totally worth grinding, though, as you can make decent cash selling to a butcher, if needed. The large wagon takes a lot of time & effort to fill, but it sure brings in the cash. Exploiting cougar spawns sounds like a good plan, too.

For the Collector role, there's an awesome interactive online map that shows the daily spots for all collectibles: https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/

I was spending a lot of money buying maps from Nazar until I found out about the online map, and now just buy maps when a daily mission calls for using them.

Using fast travel and a fast horse, you can complete several collections in just a few hours of game play. I tried to collect all of the collectibles in one day and it took well over six hours. I started at Tumbleweed and worked my way across the entire map. I made a ton of cash (over 4K), but now I just collect the more valuable items over a couple days of play and still end up with a decent haul. It's easy to bring in 2K every couple of days.

• Like 1

Yes, I've been using that map the last couple of nights and it's took the pressure off making money.  Took me about an hour last night to setup all the icons to farm this evening.  Pretty much all the jewelry, Coins and Arrow heads.

8 hours ago, Melisa said:

Moonshiner is ok just buy mash wait doing collectibles bounty then deliver on autopilot and repeat every hour 

It is repetitive, slow, and not good with earnings. I have not messed with it in a few weeks now and honestly don't miss it. Maybe because it is too simple and takes too long, it just feels pointless. I don't know.