New Solo Content to Come?

‘Red Dead Online’ promises gifts and solo content after record-breaking year

Both games will be focusing on players who play alone

9th February 2021
Red Dead Redemption Red Dead Redemption. Credit: Rockstar Games

Rockstar Games have published a blog post revealing their intention to create a range of new solo content, gear and rewards in Red Dead Online and GTA Online.

The two games were the subject of a post that detailed Rockstar’s plans for the near future, and thanked the fan community for their support in 2020. As GTA V was recently revealed to have sold over 10 million units in the last 10 months of 2020, the Rockstar franchises remained at the top of physical games best-seller lists all year.

GTA Online and Red Dead Online both broke their records from previous years regarding player numbers, with Rockstar thanking YouTube content creators in their post for the “funny, skillful, and artful creations that keep us coming back for more”.

The blog post announced a range of free gifts coming to the game soon in celebration of these achievements. The special bundle will include 5,000 Club XP, a free Horse, and a Stable Slot alongside other items and perks for Red Dead OnlineGTA Online fans will be getting exclusive apparel items in-game.

Rockstar have also mentioned their dedication to solo gaming in the following months, promising updates for both games that include ways to play alone. Red Dead Online will receive new employment opportunities and GTA Online has already been marked for solo content updates in 2021.

The post ended by tantalising fans with the promise of more, stating they should “keep a lookout for more celebratory events in the near future for the chance to score new gear, bonus GTA$ and a free vehicle in GTA Online, and a range of new offers and Rewards in Red Dead Online.”

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/red-dead-online-promises-gifts-solo-content-record-breaking-year-2876476

Interesting. I’ll be looking forward to it. However, I can’t help but hear the coming cries of single-player DLC content from some fans. That much rumored remake/remaster of the original RDR campaign sounds really cool. 

3 new solo play missions in RDRO - collect instructions from the mysterious "J"

Says that they will increase in difficulty with each play through :)

Really looking forward to starting those on Friday or Saturday & great to see new content still being added - if only we could have some player housing too!!

It's not truly solo content if it's in the games' online multiplayer components, now is it? When I read "solo content," I immediately thought, "Awesome, I can now play with all those awesome GTA Online DLC vehicles like the Dominator GTX and Hydra!" Then I kept reading...

uUFvuEv.gif

Edited by Parzival

In red free roam it realy dont matter, atleast not on ps4.

Just put yourself in defence mode and the game is basicly an online singleplayer. Apart from the mandatory playtru of the first storychain, my 125+lvs has been a solo jurney. No posses of any form or kind has been joined, griefers hardly seen.

Here's another article regarding Take Two CEO's comments during a recent earnings call on the subject of solo content.  Personally, I think it's good news for those who enjoy playing solo.  I also thought the solo feature in the recent heist in GTAO was a vindication of sorts for those who have been asking for more SP content given the high level of engagement: 

Take-Two CEO doesn't believe single player games are dead

By Heidi Nicholas, 11 Feb 2021
During a recent earnings call, Take-Two's CEO Strauss Zelnick said the company's labels didn't believe the argument that "single-player is dead." Zelnick also praised Rockstar Games, saying the studio could provide both single-player and multiplayer experiences "at the highest possible level of execution."

Cayo Perico Heist

In the earnings call, Zelnick mentioned that over 50% of GTA Online players had undertaken the Cayo Perico heist as a "new single-player experience." This was addressed again during the Q&A portion of the call, when Zelnick added that this “wasn’t coincidental... The folks at Rockstar Games intended to create a powerful single-player experience – a story-driven experience," Zelnick continued. "Rockstar has always been known for great stories and great single-player experiences and then developed in addition, a massive multiplayer opportunity over the past years.... I think it's a reminder, not that we needed one, that Rockstar Games can do both of those things at the highest possible level of execution in our business."

Zelnick then addressed the debate around the idea that single-player content is giving way to multiplayer. "I think there was an argument just a couple years ago – not around here, not in this shop, but in some of our competitors’ offices – that single player is dead. That it’s all about multiplayer. We didn’t believe that. I said specifically and publicly that we didn’t believe that. Our labels don’t believe that. We deliver an array of experiences that range from hyper-casual mobile to the most complex, robust single-player and multiplayer experiences, and we intend to continue doing that.”

Rockstar has already hinted at plans for more solo content in its other online giant, Red Dead Online. Just recently, the studio thanked players for a "record-breaking year" of GTA Online and Red Dead Online, and teased "exciting future updates" for both games this year — in particular, it specified that Red Dead Online would have "new employment opportunities for solo players." We'll let you know when Rockstar shares more info on what this solo content could look like.