Jump to content

How Is Everyone Enjoying RDO So Far?


DylBandit
 Share

Recommended Posts

Personally, I think Red Dead Online is really fun. I like how in the beginning, money is very scarce and people will not attack you because no one can afford a bounty right at this minute, which I think is awesome people aren't shooting each other like crazy and being awfully annoying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been loving it. Not much trouble with trolls. Had one person shoot me when I was busy on here, just standing around in the open, and another that tried to get me in camp, but I had my white flag up so nothing he did worked.  Mostly been moving around or in missions, keeping clear of people.

The only issues I have are because it's still early, lack of some content and such, and some bugs (butchers and some of the menus can get buggy). Still tons to do in the world.  Other than not being able to get on right away when it launched, haven't had any connection issues.

Liking some of the features that are different from story mode, tho do miss my hair and beard growing.  I like when I feel like doing a mission, can get into one pretty much instantly with the quick menu, loads quick (gta took forever), and if someone leaves, you can continue from a checkpoint, with the mission adjusting according to how many players remain.

Amazon Prime style ordering is kinda cool, order from the catalog anywhere and pickup from post office or your camp. Nice having any extra ammo you bought (this way at least) remain in your camps chest for later (hoping it stays after logging off)

Edited by KRooKeD KRoW
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KRooKeD KRoW said:

I've been loving it. Not much trouble with trolls. Had one person shoot me when I was busy on here, just standing around in the open, and another that tried to get me in camp, but I had my white flag up so nothing he did worked.  Mostly been moving around or in missions, keeping clear of people.

The only issues I have are because it's still early, lack of some content and such, and some bugs (butchers and some of the menus can get buggy). Still tons to do in the world.  Other than not being able to get on right away when it launched, haven't had any connection issues.

Liking some of the features that are different from story mode, tho do miss my hair and beard growing.  I like when I feel like doing a mission, can get into one pretty much instantly with the quick menu, loads quick (gta took forever), and if someone leaves, you can continue from a checkpoint, with the mission adjusting according to how many players remain.

Amazon Prime style ordering is kinda cool, order from the catalog anywhere and pickup from post office or your camp. Nice having any extra ammo you bought (this way at least) remain in your camps chest for later (hoping it stays after logging off)

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled about the on demand catalogue option (vs. requiring a visit to stores), but at least they make the player go to the post office and/or their camp to retrieve the items.  .....still would have preferred making people buy only in stores but it is what it is.  At least the ammo that you can carry appears to be limited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some real top fun aspects but then it annoyed the crap out of me that some troll can spawn kill me time and time again as I'm trying to complete a quest and there was nothing I could do other than close the game down.

I play loads of games and it's very rare that something annoys me so much I feel the need to log a website and moan about it so, kudos to Rockstar for that.

Edited by Jota
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jota said:

Some real top fun aspects but then it annoyed the crap out of me that some troll can spawn kill me time and time again as I'm trying to complete a quest and there was nothing I could do other than close the game down.

I play loads of games and it's very rare that something annoys me so much I feel the need to log a website and moan about it so, kudos to Rockstar for that.

I would encourage you to submit your feedback to R* about trolling.  I have.

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/online/feedback?step=addb2b0b

Now is the time that they really listen to the community and if folks want to see certain things improved, added, removed, etc., submit your feedback.  Get your voices heard.  

It's fine and dandy to vent here but this is just a fan site.  .....not an official R* forum.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So far, I am enjoying it.  I guess.  Just a few observations...

A lot less griefing than I expected. Got shot in the back of the head once while visiting Rhodes. Other than that, not much.

Animals seem very scarce.  Or at least, they don't seem to spawn in the same manner as story mode. The landscape seems a little desolate of life. 

Not sure what to think about the lack of crafting and absence of trappers.  The game feels a little empty without it.

In lieu of crafting everything has a rank requirement now and can be purchased.  This just makes the game seem more like a shooter and less like an immersive world.  To me.

I have a feeling I am going to miss more than a few things from the Story Mode that made the game seem special in return for the competitive player ranking paradigm. 

 

Not sure at this point what I think overall.  These are just a few observations from the handful of hours I've put in so far.  Still, it's been pretty fun so far.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's be honest....

 

This is a n ABYSMAL economy. Now, it is in beta so we will have to wait and see what transpires, however I don't think R* will be making huge adjustments to payouts and rewards. Outside of that things are smooth, I think players need to be more vocal though, R* is the only major developer that seems to be impervious to criticism, and quite frankly its ridiculous. There are loyal fans, and then there are blind fans, and I refuse to cover my eyes to what I'm seeing. I have some very strong opinions about the single player  as well, but I think I'll hold off.

All in all, online is okay, but it's just that; okay. Let's make sure we all as a community hold R* accountable, they should not be allowed to do whatever they please at the expense of the time/experience of the player. Yes it is their project and they can steer it how they please, but their actions call for appropriate reaction, and I think the player base has a bad habit of placing R* above criticism.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Madrigalian said:

Animals seem very scarce.  Or at least, they don't seem to spawn in the same manner as story mode. The landscape seems a little desolate of life. 

Really?  That hasn't been my experience.  I was killing several animals last night with friends.  They seemed easy enough to find in my case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jota said:

Some real top fun aspects but then it annoyed the crap out of me that some troll can spawn kill me time and time again as I'm trying to complete a quest and there was nothing I could do other than close the game down.

I play loads of games and it's very rare that something annoys me so much I feel the need to log a website and moan about it so, kudos to Rockstar for that.

I was concerned about that too, when I was playing RDO last night. I experimented with switching Online modes, to try to jump to another instance to be with other players. That seemed to work. I wonder if selecting FREE ROAM to another state would reset the players you are playing with too? I'll have to try that tonight. I'd imagine that this will do the same thing as closing down the game, and restarting it. For the game seems to randomly put you with other players. I've also noticed in Free Roam mode, that players seem to join, or leave, similar to an Overwatch Quick Play match. Where the match just keeps going on and on.

Edited by Volt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My experience? It was fun, fast, and clumsy at times. 

Overall I had fun with the couple hours I played last night. I think I made it to rank 4 or 5 last night. Playing the single player game, up to Chapter 4, helped me with knowing the various game mechanics. It also helped a lot with traveling through familiar areas and maps. 

Starting off in Blackwater I was in an unfamiliar area. After completing that first group mission of horse stealing, it wasn't obvious to me what I could do next. I decided to check out the Showdown Series Events and queued up for that (I think that's what it's called). I was pretty fast with throwing me into a match. There were some FFA fights, team fights, and team capture control points. I forgot about team colors and wandered too close to the other team and got killed. Respawn timers are fast, aren't they? In those matches, it seemed that you could gather better weapons then what you start with. But if you died, then you'd start back at square one. 

I'm still using the default control scheme. So it feels like a mini-game of using the snap and aim assist to find targets. Then flicking up to target the head. I was able to sometimes gets headshots which usually killed the player. And other times I wasn't able to get the head, and instead did body shots. Seemed like there is some strategy with what weapons to use. For there were times when I'd shoot, I was reloading, the other person was shooting at me. I'd die. I think I was earning experience the whole time during this.

I then went out of this mode and the game put me in Rhodes. I saw what looked like ghosts or players inside one of the gun shops. When they came out of the gun shop they looked normal. I think the gun shop is a temporary safe place. I was goofing around and headshot some random player. They died. That did not cause anything bad to happen to me in regards to Crime reported/witness type of thing to occur. A couple other players came around and they then shot me and killed me. I respwaned quickly and came back and we spent like 5 minutes shooting and killing each other. I noticed the players that I shot, or that shot me, became red targets on the overhead map and radar. Eventually, they rode out of town on their horses. This experience reminded me a bit of playing Ultima Online when it first came out. In that, anyone could be attacked. Or not be attacked. Though in my above interactions there seemed to be no rewards for behaving like this. The quick respawning nearby also didn't really seem to be a downside. I'm not sure if the bounty system was working as intended. I did later somehow got in a gunfight with computer NPCs and when I got killed by them I did lose a few dollars upon respawning. 

At the beginning of my online session, there was an area for voice chat. That could be toggled between; All players, Possee only, group only ( I think that is what it was called), and none. Later on, I could not find that section to change it. So I forget where it was.

I did a coach mission, where I had to drive a stagecoach from Rhodes to Emerald. Soon after the mission started a message appeared saying my coach could be attacked by other players. I didn't run into any other players during this quick mission. But I did run into a few groups of enemy NPCs. I didn't make that much for this quick mission. 

I ran into some other player who was emoting at me. A brief gunfight broke out. I think I accidentally started it. With me dying. And I could hear the other player reacting surprised. Including his smoke detector beeping in the background needing a new battery change. The audio quality of his voice wasn't too great. 

On the player list on the left of the screen, you can select a players name, and view their profile. I imagine one might get messages from other players. Which could either be salty or friendly? Depending on how you play, one might need to change their PS4's privacy settings to not get messages from randoms.

As I posted above, if you want to avoid a certain player in your game world (or instance), then you should change up what online mode you are in and then come back to where you want to be, to have the game respawn a different set of players in your game world. I wonder if fast traveling to another state, and back, would do the same?

I logged out for the night, I did notice there were some yellow colored story missions on the map I could do. This was not the case at the beginning of my online game session. I also plan on having the beta wipe my online character's progress, to avoid any disappointment with having to level up my character all over again when it goes out of beta. I'm hoping I'm wrong. 

Looking at the player names on the map made me think those were their PSN handles. So what's the point of naming your character? Perhaps there is an option to show player account names vs player character names? Bloodborne and some other souls games have this option.

I'm looking forward to playing more tonight!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am overall impressed. I noticed there are a few buggy bits but I guess that is why they said it is in beta. I only had an issue with one group of people so far which was rather annoying. I was on by myself doing some hunting and a group of 4 dudes just kept killing me. I ended up just taking a break and when I joined again I was on a much more passive server. Most people were keeping to themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Volt said:

I'm looking forward to playing more tonight!

 

If you need someone to tag along and help mitigate the possibility of being trolled, hit me up.  My PSN name is the same (Kean_1).  I just got on last night and plan to go on again tonight.  .....just trying to make some money to buy a better rifle at this point.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Qu3ster said:

I am overall impressed. I noticed there are a few buggy bits but I guess that is why they said it is in beta. I only had an issue with one group of people so far which was rather annoying. I was on by myself doing some hunting and a group of 4 dudes just kept killing me. I ended up just taking a break and when I joined again I was on a much more passive server. Most people were keeping to themselves. 

Unfortunately, that's the reality of how RDO will be without consequences for these types of actions.  I can see people creating posses of kill squads that go around eliminating the weak simply for (as they see it) the fun of it.   There is no challenge in actions such as this nor any benefit.  .....it's simple, textbook trolling.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AVGaming said:

Let's be honest....

 

This is a n ABYSMAL economy. Now, it is in beta so we will have to wait and see what transpires, however I don't think R* will be making huge adjustments to payouts and rewards. Outside of that things are smooth, I think players need to be more vocal though, R* is the only major developer that seems to be impervious to criticism, and quite frankly its ridiculous. There are loyal fans, and then there are blind fans, and I refuse to cover my eyes to what I'm seeing. I have some very strong opinions about the single player  as well, but I think I'll hold off.

All in all, online is okay, but it's just that; okay. Let's make sure we all as a community hold R* accountable, they should not be allowed to do whatever they please at the expense of the time/experience of the player. Yes it is their project and they can steer it how they please, but their actions call for appropriate reaction, and I think the player base has a bad habit of placing R* above criticism.

At this stage R* will listen because if it is _too_ grindy (don't forget, top paypayout for early GTAO missions was 9K) and if griefers are overwhelming then people will just drop RDO after a few weeks months -- and then R* won't make any of that precious money like they made in GTAO.

 

I can't draw too many conclusions about RDO yet but I was a little disappointed with the character generation tool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Marvin Suggs said:

I can't draw too many conclusions about RDO yet but I was a little disappointed with the character generation tool.

 


I seemed to get some really fugly characters by using the simple preselects. One with some really bad acne on their neck. You can fine-tune various features on your face; nose, eye, chin, ear, etc. I tried to make my "McCree" character look like McCree from Overwatch. But wasn't able to get the right facial hair, and head hair. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Character generation wasn't too good - hard to make anyone who looked less than a mutant.

Economy is a real grind fest, and having things like fast travel locked beyond enormous level and can limits whilst allowing gold as a bypass doesn't bode well at all.  It's hard to make money, everything is expensive.

Theres some bugs and glitches, but nothing major as yet.

Trolls remain annoying, but thankfully I only seem to meet one per every two hours free roaming, that's not bad.  I expect it'll get worse when more folk are on, though.

Bandit ambushes can be really irritating when hunting.

The map fees a bit empty at the momemt, especially in the north and east of the map.

And the camp keeps moving, is always really far away, and costs money.

Edited by Poggy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Poggy said:

Character generation wasn't too good - hard to make anyone who looked less than a mutant.

I thought that too until I saw the additional options I had missed the first time around.  I agree that they should have more head options but the fine tuning options that adjust depth, height, orientation, etc. of facial features does help quite a bit.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Poggy said:

And the camp keeps moving, is always really far away, and costs money.

This is the one thing I really hate about the camps.  At one point, I'll have a prime location in the Heartlands (Just a few seconds ride from Emerald Station, the next time I look for it, it's out in the middle of nowhere, really far from anything.  Had hoped the camps would be like GTA:O apartments, always in the same place, and you just disappear from the map when you enter it (Though it was funny seeing that one guy ride into my camp, unable to shoot at me for a while, then ride out, and every shot he took after that went right through me).  Guess we'll have to wait to unlock the homesteads or whatever they're gonna be called to have a stationary hideout.

Although the costing money, I just look at it like a moving fee when you setup a new one, or an upkeep fee when it charges daily.  GTA:O had you paying your mechanic, secretary, etc on an in-game daily basis.  Guess Rockstar liked the idea of that.  At least it's only a couple bucks, as opposed to a few thousand.

Edited by KRooKeD KRoW
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hate the always on, forced PvP. If we are not given some option to avoid it, then I won't be playing it for long most likely.

I also hate the radar maps showing your location to people in other states. You should only see folks that your character would be aware of.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

LATEST RDR2 NEWS CLIPS

×
×
  • Create New...