• Hunting
    • Fishing
    • Missions
    • Stranger-missions
    • Series
    • Stealing from other players!
    • Looting hideouts
    • Finding Treasure from Treasure Maps

In terms of cash relevant to easiness, reliability, risk of loss and time factors, I'd say fishing.

It's simple, guaranteed, reasonably quick, and fish in satchel cannot be lost or stolen.

The obvious other contender is bird/feather hunting.

The two often work well together in some areas as the best money making combo in game.  Shoot some birds, catch some fish.

• Like 2

I would say hunting would be the most profitable, but it can be tough if there's a ton of griefers on your server, which is why I don't do it often myself.  I'll check the map when I log on, if there's not a lot of people on, or if most are all on one end of the map, I'll pick a spot far from anybody but close to a butcher and hunt whatever is in the area for a bit.  Gotta keep checking your map to see if people seem to be moving your way, then I'll run run to the butcher, sell all I have, and start a mission if people still seem to be moving my way. I usually spam the story mission matchmaking, not quite as profitable, but usually more fun.  Not too much into competitive modes anymore, and do need a break from the story missions every now and then.

Hunting cougar near Blackwater. Easy to get perfect pelt with Bolt Action Rifle. Cougar always spawn in same spot and when u learn it you will get perfect pelt everytime u hunt it. I don't know why but I have been several times only ones in session with my posse members and have not been struggling with griefers.

29 minutes ago, Poggy said:

It's that increased risk factor (losing pelts and carcasses) from hunting, and the time and care it takes to make it back to the butcher, and the ammo costs, that makes fishing slightly preferable IMHO.

Only problem is, fishing requires patience which is something I don't have. Btw, I have seen assholes kill people while  they are trying to reel in a big fish, so fishermen aren't immune to losing their catch when it's  a big one.

Edited by Vaderspupil

1 minute ago, Vaderspupil said:

Only problem is, fishing requires patience which is something I don't have.

It takes like 30 seconds to catch a fish...

Edit: Weren't you on the F13 forums?

Edited by Truth

28 minutes ago, Poggy said:

It's that increased risk factor (losing pelts and carcasses) from hunting, and the time and care it takes to make it back to the butcher, and the ammo costs, that makes fishing slightly preferable IMHO.

I was fishing salmons in Dakota River until fishing was nerfed. I haven't been fishing a single time since fishing was nerfed.

Fishing has been nerfed hard, true.  But it's still easy to get 10xsteelhead/salmon + a bunch of smaller fish at a few places across the map, and still worth it cash wise.

Easy, takes little time, and is safer (IMHO) than hunting for pelts.  Works best in combo with bird hunting (and any other satchel wildlife knocking around the water).

But, tbh, the best is obviously combinations :)

Just now, Vaderspupil said:

Not if they're not biting and yes I was. So far I've recognized a few people here from over there. Yourself included.

Thought so. Welcome! We're slowly taking over lol

The trick is to reel it back in slowly but continuously. Probably 90% of the time I get a bite before it's reeled in all the way. Time of day and weather also make a difference.

2 minutes ago, Truth said:

Thought so. Welcome! We're slowly taking over lol

The trick is to reel it back in slowly but continuously. Probably 90% of the time I get a bite before it's reeled in all the way. Time of day and weather also make a difference.

Yeah, I haven't visited the F13 boards in quite awhile. It just isn't the same, though I still play the game on occasion with a select group.

I just don't find fishing very exciting. I like the thrill of the hunt, especially the danger of going after cougar.

As for hunting, my friend found this little spreadsheet some angel put together. I saved it as a .PDF here: Google Drive.

It seems Perfect quality pelts, carcasses, and items collected from a panther ($21), a cougar ($19.75), a buck ($14.90), and a ram ($11.25) pay out the most amounts.

Every animal after that is less than $11 with all the items collected from them.

It helps to tame a wild horse and use it to store a second carcass when you're out hunting and having your saddled horse follow behind.

As far as griefers. I have found myself and my friend in a server just to ourselves after doing some story / stranger missions. When we come out of completing the missions there is no one but us in the server. Not very useful but if it happens to you, it's a good opportunity to do some hassle-free hunting.

I was pleasantly surprised when I turned in a perfect buck carcass for $10 last night in the Great Plains west of Blackwater. I'll have to search out these cougars next time in that area.

I'll still fish, especially to work on my health core, been lagging behind on that one. But not doing too much fishing cuz I dont wanna keep buying bait and still a couple levels away from the first lure. I'm waiting for that to start fishing for profit. Put on a movie, grab some whiskey, and fish. Did a lot of that in other games for various reasons.

Been playing a little less lately, just been busy or something else, but even sometimes playing something else for a bit. Mostly waiting for beta to be over and that new content to drop, but still on RDO more than anything else.

3 hours ago, Poggy said:

Shou can use gold to get a lure early.

Ya, been trying to avoid using gold for early unlocks, especially if I'm only a few levels away, tho I'll most likely use it eventually for something around level 90 or so when I'm only like 50.  But hoping to save my gold for things that can only be bought with gold.  Have enough for a few things, even without the bonus 15 gold, just don't know what I want yet.

40 minutes ago, DLKnives said:

For $$$ I fish and hunt, but lately am doing more stranger missions for the xp. I went to my old fishing spot yesterday and had my 10 salmon and a muskie in about 20 minutes. Off to the butcher! :)

Sounds a bit like Lake Owanjila for me, not sure if you use the same body of water for those fish.  Without a lure, using just whatever bait I have ATM for regular fish, been getting the muskie with a gun (shotgun the first time when it startled me right by the shore, thought it was Jaws the way he popped out of the water at me 😋, been using varmint rifle since then if I see him near the shore again, not perfect fish, but still good money, and I don't always see him with that method), and being so close to Strawberry is nice.  Not always people there, and butcher is close to your side of the river that runs through it, so can usually get in and out quickly even if there are people.  Couple of pelts/carcasses on the way to and from, and it's a pretty good profit.

Edited by KRooKeD KRoW

I think fishing is a lot faster than hunting. I use this spot at Ownijala Lake South-West of Strawberry. Where I stand on a rock and cast my rod out right in front of me, catching fish in just one hull. The ride with horse is short aswell and there is a butcher and general store over there.

Hunting is just fun to do, but it takes too much time before you find a pristine animal and good hunting spots are often on remote locations.

I think R*  answered the original question with the recent nerfing of Fishing. Prior to the update fishing was the way to go.

But we all know from GTAO updates that R* hates any solitary game play options online and will always force us to interact with the griefers and trolls.

You can make more money hunting now, but you leave yourself open to the roaming hoards of 12 year old freeroam warriors.

• Haha 1

I'm still fishing, and after watching a YT video (can't remember who) I went to the woman who sells lures in the swamp. It's marked on the map. I bought a "Special Spinner" for 3 yes 3 gold bars. I had to swallow to buy that one! But now when I go fishing instead of getting 10 salmon and 1 muskie I can easily get 40-50 fish since this thing catches everything in the water! My income jumped up and I had over $700 today before spending some and was broke just a few days ago. Especially since everyone got more gold this is a great buy if you like to fish.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DLKnives said:

I'm still fishing, and after watching a YT video (can't remember who) I went to the woman who sells lures in the swamp. It's marked on the map. I bought a "Special Spinner" for 3 yes 3 gold bars. I had to swallow to buy that one! But now when I go fishing instead of getting 10 salmon and 1 muskie I can easily get 40-50 fish since this thing catches everything in the water! My income jumped up and I had over $700 today before spending some and was broke just a few days ago. Especially since everyone got more gold this is a great buy if you like to fish.

Thanks for the tip, gonna buy it asap...

I just used the Special Spinner at my favorite spot and caught over 20 fish easy in 15 minutes. At 30 min I had 36 fish - it slows down because you keep catching fish you already have 10 of. 2 more minutes and I got the 2 salmon I needed and off to the butcher. Not bad for 1/2 hour of "work". I didn't even get a muskie and I made $50.