Rockstar should re-make the previous RDR game for the current generation of consoles

Cokeyskunk

Would you buy Red Dead Redemption if Rockstar re-made it using the RDR2 map?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Red Dead Redemption if Rockstar re-made it using the RDR2 map?

• Absolutely! I'd re-buy the game to see the rest of John Marston's story with RDR2's incredible graphics!
    • Eh, maybe. I already have it on my old system.
    • Not really interested.

So - I feel like:

• Since R* already has the complete map made for the current generation of consoles
  • Since R* already has all the voice overs from the previous game
  • Since people are completely in love with RDR2 and want more

--it's a no-brainer to re-build the original Red Dead Redemption using the RDR2 map. I mentioned above they even have all the voice overs recorded and ready to go, and they already have a full, updated map ready to go.

Wouldn't it be relatively easy (and make Rockstar lots of cashola) to make it happen??

I'D buy it again . . . 

• Like 1

I fired up my old PS3 yesterday and jumped into RD1.

The graphics suck in comparison. The gameplay seems really out dated and the controls are like somebody replaced my QWERTY with an ABCDEF keyboard and put the spacebar on the top. Jack Marston sounds like a 12 year old. The NPC's are idiots and the women are skanks.

23 minutes ago, buttlint said:

I fired up my old PS3 yesterday and jumped into RD1.

The graphics suck in comparison. The gameplay seems really out dated and the controls are like somebody replaced my QWERTY with an ABCDEF keyboard and put the spacebar on the top. Jack Marston sounds like a 12 year old. The NPC's are idiots and the women are skanks.

It is almost 10 years old dude.  Need to remind yourself of that, and nothing really was made to that level before that I could think of.

If it had the same mechanics from RDR2 such as the deeper horse bonding, deeper hunting/fishing, NPC interactions, etc then YES. I'm only on Chapter 2 (2 missions left until Chapter 3) but there's noticeably a lack of random duels like the first one had (if my memory serves me correctly) and I really miss Liars Dice and Horseshoes lol

2 minutes ago, Moosh89 said:

If it had the same mechanics from RDR2 such as the deeper horse bonding, deeper hunting/fishing, NPC interactions, etc then YES. I'm only on Chapter 2 (2 missions left until Chapter 3) but there's noticeably a lack of random duels like the first one had (if my memory serves me correctly) and I really miss Liars Dice and Horseshoes lol

I keep bumping into folk in the saloon in Valentine and being challenged to a duel, I normally decline lol.

5 minutes ago, Syrens said:

I keep bumping into folk in the saloon in Valentine and being challenged to a duel, I normally decline lol.

I've only had that happen once, when you first get to Valentine. I was getting ready to try shoot the gun from his hand when he suddenly fell on his face, passed out in the mud lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Moosh89 said:

I've only had that happen once, when you first get to Valentine. I was getting ready to try shoot the gun from his hand when he suddenly fell on his face, passed out in the mud lol

Nah honor has suffered cause I keep riding in town and knocking people over.  Not the smartest...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Truth said:

Not sure about a separate game, but I'd buy it as dlc. I'd much rather play a "modern" version of it than the 360 version.

I probably should have clarified: they really SHOULD release it as a DLC (paid or unpaid), and if it does well, release it on disc - like they did with Undead Nightmare.

2 hours ago, Syrens said:

Nah honor has suffered cause I keep riding in town and knocking people over.  Not the smartest...

Yeah, I really have to watch it riding around town. It's way too easy to accidentally knock someone over on your horse. Then instantly, you're wanted and they the law comes along and tries to kill you.

(Why don't you ever get arrested, like in GTA? It's like the smallest crime is instantly a law shootout death sentence!)

4 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

(Why don't you ever get arrested, like in GTA? It's like the smallest crime is instantly a law shootout death sentence!)

You can surrender yourself to them apparently.  I've not tried it yet though but someone here told me that.

7 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

I probably should have clarified: they really SHOULD release it as a DLC (paid or unpaid), and if it does well, release it on disc - like they did with Undead Nightmare.

I'd have no problem with that.

7 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

You have to surrender to them. Leave the area until things cool down, then find a lawman or bounty hunter and surrender when they call you out. Don't move, don't draw your weapon, just press triangle (Y for normal people) to surrender and allow them to take you.

Edited by Truth
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Truth said:

I'd have no problem with that.

You have to surrender to them. Leave the area until things cool down, then find a lawman or bounty hunter and surrender when they call you out. Don't move, don't draw your weapon, just press triangle (Y for normal people) to surrender and allow them to take you.

That's goofy. Why do you have to escape first?? And what's the benefit of turning one's self in later? (and what happens?) Can you do it in a town where you're wanted "Dead or Alive"?

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

That's goofy. Why do you have to escape first?? And what's the benefit of turning one's self in later? (and what happens?) Can you do it in a town where you're wanted "Dead or Alive"?

Minor things (where they don't start shooting you immediately) you don't have to run away. I had one occasion where I got busted robbing someone. I surrendered to the lawman that caught me and he said it wasn't worth his time but I should leave. I walked away slowly at first and he shouted something along the lines of "GTFO". I was curious what he would've done had I stayed, but I didn't want to bother at the time.

You're unable to surrender when they're shooting, they just want you dead at that point.

I've had 3 different scenes play out after being arrested. Typically you'll just serve your time and be released. Sometimes the gang will come and break you out (it goes much better than other jailbreaks you might have encountered). The third is (I'm assuming) more rare. I've only seen it once and never heard anyone else mention it. I bribed the lawman that was watching me and he let me go. Not sure if it actually cost me anything. You don't have a choice (the scenes play out randomly), so I don't think they actually take your money.

Not sure about being wanted dead or alive, but if they don't immediately open fire then you should have the option to surrender.

I voted yes but I guess it depends on what they would deliver in a remastered version. 

Hell, I bought GTAV again when they ported it over to PS4 but even with the graphics upgrade and the population increase, etc., it was essentially based on the same foundation they had from PS3 in regard to the mechanics, etc.  I guess the thing with GTAV was that it came out early enough in the PS4s life cycle that it still felt like an upgrade.  If GTA6 was already out and they released a remaster of GTAV, I wouldn;t ever bought a PS4 copy of GTAV.

IMO, R* missed a golden opportunity to make RDR1 a remaster before RDR2s release.  If you would have asked me this question months before RDR2 hit the shelves, I could tell you with 100% certainty that I would have bought it. 

• Like 1

Let's talk about this.

10 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

I bought GTAV again when they ported it over to PS4 but even with the graphics upgrade and the population increase, etc., it was essentially based on the same foundation they had from PS3 in regard to the mechanics, etc.  I guess the thing with GTAV was that it came out early enough in the PS4s life cycle that it still felt like an upgrade.  If GTA6 was already out and they released a remaster of GTAV, I wouldn;t ever bought a PS4 copy of GTAV.

We appear to be talking about different things. You're talking about a port of a game from a previous generation to another. What I'm talking about is them using the very SAME map from RDR2, then add the motion captures and the voice overs from the original RDR to the RDR2 engine. The only thing they'd really have to do is re-create the specific characters from RDR that Marston interacts with, and perhaps make a few tweaks to the towns to update them to the 1911 timeline.

But I agree with you - attempting a PORT of the original RDR to the current console generation would be a calamity. But again, since they have the entire map updated and recreated, there'd be no need to port it.

10 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

IMO, R* missed a golden opportunity to make RDR1 a remaster before RDR2s release.  If you would have asked me this question months before RDR2 hit the shelves, I could tell you with 100% certainty that I would have bought it. 

Let us not forget the epic round-the-clock scramble the poor folks at R* went through to hit their release deadline of RDR2. Had they finished early and had extra time, I'm sure that conversation (release an updated RDR with the new map before releasing RDR2) would have taken place. But up until zero hour before release, they were 100%+ swamped. There would have been no time for such a thing. That's why I think now is the right time to think about it.

I'll do you one better, @Cokeyskunk; they should do none of the above, and instead offer a remastered RDR1 experience as an add-on DLC to the existing game.

Finish RDR2's story mode 

Spoiler

and epilogues

and then download the DLC for a fee and roll right into RDR1 with the same systems, physics, and progression from the current game, but adapted to the engine.  Same story beats and missions, new engine and experience.

It'd be like when George Lucas released the Special Editions in theaters, except this would actually be good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

and then download the DLC for a fee and roll right into RDR1 with the same systems, physics, and progression from the current game, but adapted to the engine.  Same story beats and missions, new engine and experience.

And as I said - already having the updated map, along with the motion captures and voice overs from the previous game - SHOULD make this a snap.

--well, a "snap" compared to the enormous endeavor they undertook to complete RDR2, that is.

Just now, Cokeyskunk said:

And as I said - already having the updated map, along with the motion captures and voice overs from the previous game - SHOULD make this a snap.

--well, a "snap" compared to the enormous endeavor they undertook to complete RDR2, that is.

I know someone who excels at "snapping"

Image result for thanos snap gif

38 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Let's talk about this.

We appear to be talking about different things. You're talking about a port of a game from a previous generation to another. What I'm talking about is them using the very SAME map from RDR2, then add the motion captures and the voice overs from the original RDR to the RDR2 engine. The only thing they'd really have to do is re-create the specific characters from RDR that Marston interacts with, and perhaps make a few tweaks to the towns to update them to the 1911 timeline.

But I agree with you - attempting a PORT of the original RDR to the current console generation would be a calamity. But again, since they have the entire map updated and recreated, there'd be no need to port it.

Yeah, my misunderstanding.  

I don't know how feasible it would be but sure, I'd be interested in that. 

42 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Let us not forget the epic round-the-clock scramble the poor folks at R* went through to hit their release deadline of RDR2. Had they finished early and had extra time, I'm sure that conversation (release an updated RDR with the new map before releasing RDR2) would have taken place. But up until zero hour before release, they were 100%+ swamped. There would have been no time for such a thing. That's why I think now is the right time to think about it.

Perhaps so.  All I'm saying is that it would have been nice sometime in those past 5 years since the latest gen of consoles released to offer a remastered RDR1.  I have a feeling it would have been quite popular and maybe even warranted its own resources.  .....but that's all a moot point now.

On 1/22/2019 at 6:48 AM, Cokeyskunk said:

Wouldn't it be relatively easy (and make Rockstar lots of cashola) to make it happen??

I wouldn't buy it, there's nothing in the RDR story to go beyond the boundaries of the first map.  Maybe as a DLC they could add content for the RDR2 map.  A full game rewrite wouldn't make the money as most have already purchased/played/grown bored of RDR.  it might even be a loss.  Sure you'd get the dedicated fans and the really curious, but the majority wouldn't go back.

1 hour ago, Kormath said:

I wouldn't buy it, there's nothing in the RDR story to go beyond the boundaries of the first map.  Maybe as a DLC they could add content for the RDR2 map.  A full game rewrite wouldn't make the money as most have already purchased/played/grown bored of RDR.  it might even be a loss.  Sure you'd get the dedicated fans and the really curious, but the majority wouldn't go back.

Totally (and respectfully) disagree. By comparison, the amount of effort needed to make this happen is infinitesimal compared to what they had to do to build RDR2. And that game's so hot right now - and SOOOOO many RDR2 players have never played the rest of John's story (or even know it!) - based on the needed time invested to make it happen vs. the enormous interest, they're guaranteed to make quite a lot more on it than they did on Undead Nightmare. Certainly it wouldn't come close to RDR2 sales, but it would be a grand moneymaker. Of this, I'm ridiculously confident. 

ALL the tools already exist. It would be silly not to.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

ALL the tools already exist. It would be silly not to.

I am currently playing the original on a PS3. 

Just adjusting the game to the newer standards would do a world of wonders. Cleaning up the graphics would be a great place to start. The PS3 is constantly redrawing and it's annoying as heck. You cant look 30 yards ahead of your horse without worrying about running off of the trail. Even the sky looks banded. i keep running into things simply because I cant see them because the texturing is so bad. Its like the system cant keep up with the action. After playing the new version, I feel like I am playing at half speed. It looks like Minecraft for seniors. Horses need a huge turning radius at a gallop. They get stuck in thin bushes. The controller is just to sloppy.  Marston walks like he has stage 10 Lumbago. At night or during a rainstorm, you may as well just sleep because visibility is zero.

The story is still there. It has all of the bones of a great game. Some tweaks for the sake of continuity with RD2 wouldnt hurt. Bonnie McFarland can compete with Sadie any day of the week. Just bring it up to todays standards and expand it a bit. Give the old game players some twists and give the guys that didnt play the original the backstory. Then make RDR3. 

Edited by buttlint
sentence structuring
  • Like 2