Why people are buying gold

#SadCowboy

Question

I saw this on reddit:

“You need to get 100 nuggets to do one gold bar.

“You get in between 0.02 and 0.04 ( 0.02 gold bars = 2 nuggets ) from series ( deathmatch, races etc ) which take 10 mins each or less."

“Assuming you always get 0.02 and there’s no loading time it takes 50 games ( 500 minutes ) to get 1 gold bar."

“That makes 8h and 20 mins, and that’s assuming you get the worst nugget reward and you always reach time limit.”

Knowing that it can take 8+ hours to get a single gold bar is a bit extreme. I had no idea this was the case until I read it. I assume this is the reason why people feel the need to buy them. I personally haven't and do not plan to. I just can justify it. I will be willing to spend money on DLC though if it is good. 

Do you think they (R*) did this on purpose to get people suckered into just buying the gold outright? 

16 answers to this question

First of all, you need to look at what GBs give you and what items that require this form of in-game currency to acquire.  

In short, buying GBs will provide a shortcut to some items that can be bought with in-game cash.  Also, items locked behind GBs are all essentially cosmetic.  .....so, if you're looking for a shortcut (on those items that allow it) vs. earning the cash in the game, then maybe GBs are "worth it" to you.  If you like the cosmetic items locked behind GBs then maybe GBs are "worth it" to you.

However, the main thing to note here is that you don't need to buy GBs to play and enjoy the game.  This is not a "pay to win" model and you can still buy all the weapons you need including a lot of other content like outfits, horses, saddles, etc. without the need for GBs. In other words, no one is being suckered or cheated here.  If you think they're worth it, buy them.  .....if not, then don't 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, #SadCowboy said:

I saw this on reddit:

Knowing that it can take 8+ hours to get a single gold bar is a bit extreme. I had no idea this was the case until I read it. I assume this is the reason why people feel the need to buy them. I personally haven't and do not plan to. I just can justify it. I will be willing to spend money on DLC though if it is good. 

Do you think they (R*) did this on purpose to get people suckered into just buying the gold outright? 

Howdy friend , yep as that states ,That's a minimum payout. Doing well can award up to .8 nuggets. If your all about staking gold as we are right now do stranger missions and let that timer tick down to about 25 seconds remaining to get max gold. Usually around .24 to .32 each time. Carry on. 

13 hours ago, #SadCowboy said:

I saw this on reddit:

Gold purchases are part of the business model for RDRO, so I imagine it does weigh in pretty heavily on decisions based on how much gold we can earn. For me, I do grind a lot, but sometimes that isn't enough for what I want to buy in the game. So I weigh the time grinding vs the time it took me to earn the real money I would need to spend. For example, I really wanted the camp fast travel for my posse but there was no way I was going to grind out 125 gold bars and still work. Since  I had a good start with the gold R* gave me, I bought enough to get the fast travel. I'm not going to make a habit out of buying gold bars, but if there is something that I really want that I don't think I can grind out in a reasonable amount of time, I'll make the purchase.

1 hour ago, Chris Arbaugh said:

If your all about staking gold as we are right now do stranger missions and let that timer tick down to about 25 seconds remaining to get max gold. Usually around .24 to .32 each time. Carry on. 

That's the most R* thing ever.

"Oh, you want to farm nuggets?  To maximize your mission payout, then, you'll have to sit there for fifteen minutes instead of finishing it in five, like a normal person."  Seriously, the model is built to keep folks from farming gold so that they spend money because they're impatient.

To quote Michael Scott:  "You have no idea how high I can fly".  I will go grab a beer, browse Reddit, or otherwise fill my time while that timer ticks down.  R* won't see a dime from me until the online goes Gold (exiting beta) or they fully guarantee that all progress/purchases with Gold won't be rolled back AND any cosmetics purchased are account-bound instead of character bound.  

When I buy things with gold online, like hats or assless chaps, I shouldn't lose them if I restart my progress/character.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

That's the most R* thing ever.

"Oh, you want to farm nuggets?  To maximize your mission payout, then, you'll have to sit there for fifteen minutes instead of finishing it in five, like a normal person."  Seriously, the model is built to keep folks from farming gold so that they spend money because they're impatient.

To quote Michael Scott:  "You have no idea how high I can fly".  I will go grab a beer, browse Reddit, or otherwise fill my time while that timer ticks down.  R* won't see a dime from me until the online goes Gold (exiting beta) or they fully guarantee that all progress/purchases with Gold won't be rolled back AND any cosmetics purchased are account-bound instead of character bound.  

When I buy things with gold online, like hats or assless chaps, I shouldn't lose them if I restart my progress/character.

I'm with you bud ! 17 min timer let's me walk the dogs , make dinner and have sex ! LMAO jk

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Chris Arbaugh said:

I'm with you bud ! 17 min timer let's me walk the dogs , make dinner and have sex ! LMAO jk

44 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Oh, so you're married, too?

17 minutes? That sounds like married with at least 1 kid..lol

• Haha 4

Rockstar wants to have it where they can continue to earn from the game without forcing people to buy things. As mentioned, this is the minimum. You can certainly earn much more in the span of 8 hours just with general exploring and leveling up. They need to take in something in order to keep pumping out new content. You aren't obligated to buy it but for people are willing to, it helps the game. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Anc1entC0re said:

Rockstar wants to have it where they can continue to earn from the game without forcing people to buy things. As mentioned, this is the minimum. You can certainly earn much more in the span of 8 hours just with general exploring and leveling up. They need to take in something in order to keep pumping out new content. You aren't obligated to buy it but for people are willing to, it helps the game. 

I am just worried they will overdo it. I have seen some great games be destroyed by microtransactions and becoming a pay-to-win type of game. Like if it starts to get unfair unless you are buying stuff, I will jump ship. I played the story and loved it so I got my money's worth. I can easily walk away if they want to pull this crap.

37 minutes ago, Gh0stRyder said:

I am just worried they will overdo it. I have seen some great games be destroyed by microtransactions and becoming a pay-to-win type of game. Like if it starts to get unfair unless you are buying stuff, I will jump ship. I played the story and loved it so I got my money's worth. I can easily walk away if they want to pull this crap.

Well , the good news is that R* isn't using use P2W models in GTA nor RDO.  Also, they've already stated that the only things locked behind GBs in RDO will essentially be cosmetic.  Other items that can be bought with gold are also purchasable with in-game cash so if anything, RDOs MTX model is one that is a "pay to shortcut" but definitely not P2W.  

All things considered, I don't think we have anything to worry about in that respect.

• Like 1

I have a suspicion that if anything comes in the future with regards to actually buying property, it will be limited to GB as the current camp upgrades are.

I hope not as that is one of the aspects I would really look forward to but I certainly wouldn't pay real money for it. I think the cost of the game justifies what we have but any more would require massive changes online to get the player approval.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:52 PM, Kean_1 said:

First of all, you need to look at what GBs give you and what items that require this form of in-game currency to acquire.  

In short, buying GBs will provide a shortcut to some items that can be bought with in-game cash.  Also, items locked behind GBs are all essentially cosmetic.  .....so, if you're looking for a shortcut (on those items that allow it) vs. earning the cash in the game, then maybe GBs are "worth it" to you.  If you like the cosmetic items locked behind GBs then maybe GBs are "worth it" to you.

However, the main thing to note here is that you don't need to buy GBs to play and enjoy the game.  This is not a "pay to win" model and you can still buy all the weapons you need including a lot of other content like outfits, horses, saddles, etc. without the need for GBs. In other words, no one is being suckered or cheated here.  If you think they're worth it, buy them.  .....if not, then don't 

On 2/1/2019 at 1:18 PM, #SadCowboy said:

I saw this on reddit:

If your calculations are right it would take approximately 330+ hours to earn enough gold to buy the Black Arabian (42 gold). A special saddle would require another 144+ hours of grinding!!!   

On 2/3/2019 at 12:36 AM, dredd1961 said:

If your calculations are right it would take approximately 330+ hours to earn enough gold to buy the Black Arabian (42 gold). A special saddle would require another 144+ hours of grinding!!!   

I would imagine this is the bare minimum so assuming you are able to get better finds, it would likely run you around 250+ hours... But still, hot damnnn! That is like 10 days irl. I might end up buying gold... lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VICKSUN said:

I would imagine this is the bare minimum so assuming you are able to get better finds, it would likely run you around 250+ hours... But still, hot damnnn! That is like 10 days irl. I might end up buying gold... lol

That is what I did. I call my black Arabian "three tenners" because that is what it cost me in real cash lol. 

• Like 1

I plan on buying gold. Not right now. Not until the game is out of beta but I do intend on it. It will help me along the way since I don't have as much time to play as others and it supports the game. I don't mind throwing a few bucks their way so long as they continue to develop the game and add things.