Do you regret the horse you bought?

Major Dammidge

Question

My Missouri Fox Trotter is a pain in the glutes. Wandering off is one thing. But frequent times of having to go running off in different directions and whistling because he cannot be located really turns my crank. And many game analysts insist is the best horse in the online game. 

He's a Dappled Grey stallion. Maybe I should have gotten the mare. I dunno :/ OBTW I had the turkoman in the story mode..... 

Nope, I love my horse, reverse dapple silver Nokota.

That's not to say she isn't a pain in the ass, especially wandering off and then not coming when I whistle (I can actually see her, she just can't be bothered) but hey, that's horses for you. 

I was planning on getting that grey and white foxtrotter that I think is the one you have, but I'm no longer inclined to trade Squirrel in for anything!

Im only at level 23, so still far, far away from the turkomans and foxtrotters... so I got the red arabian chestnut. Im really keen on all the horses in the game, so I bought a second one, an Appaloosa, although I know that there wont be any horse as fine as my red one until Im at level 80 or so... but I liked the colours 😁 That will be my problem. I "need" these horses... off course I dont need them, but I need them 😂 so theres no chance for me to get rich.

10 hours ago, Major Dammidge said:

My Missouri Fox Trotter is a pain in the glutes. Wandering off is one thing. But frequent times of having to go running off in different directions and whistling because he cannot be located really turns my crank. And many game analysts insist is the best horse in the online game. 

He's a Dappled Grey stallion. Maybe I should have gotten the mare. I dunno :/ OBTW I had the turkoman in the story mode..... 

The Foxes aren't too great. I hadn't bought one but I used on offline in the story and they are a real pain in the rear. They seem to have minds of their own.

2 hours ago, dredd1961 said:

I have bought and discarded several. Now I own just two Black Arabian and a fox trotter. 

Same here. I had the Red Chestnut Arabian but recently sold it and upgraded to the Black Arabian. I Also have a MFT. To get the gold belt buckle award, I also plan at some point to get  Turkoman, a draft/war horse of some kind and one other random breed.

7 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

I also plan at some point to get  Turkoman, a draft/war horse of some kind and one other random breed.

Dark brown Turk--great horse. I had a gold in story mode; this one wasn't in the game.  When I went to the stable last night to get my 5th horse--and finally came to a decision--I folded like a cheap tent because the stall was $750 🙄 and Lord only knows how much insurance would be on a 5th horse. That cash will probably go for a pamphlet when I reach level 91

On 2/17/2019 at 3:31 AM, Major Dammidge said:

Im excited to hear you can buy a Trotter, how long did that take and what did it cost, like what level did you have to achieve to be able to buy this horse?

I still have the horse I stole for Clay Davis, its a nice looking horse with very low stats.
Im wondering if I moved too quickly in that mission and maybe there was a better horse, but I was thinking hurry up and get out of here.

Story mode I had the rose grey Arabian, the White Arabian, The Trotter, the grey and white one and a Turkomon for the swamps and big fights.

I really miss my horses online, I am at like level 4 or some silly thing like that, when will I be able to upgrade my horse.

3 hours ago, lumper said:

Im excited to hear you can buy a Trotter, how long did that take and what did it cost, like what level did you have to achieve to be able to buy this horse?

Check at the stable but I'm going to try to remember. The first thing that I remember is that my fellow party member nearly had a stroke because I paid gold and he has been hoarding his. I think the trotter was like level 61 or something.. the all-black American Standardbred is a mighty good deal if you have an upgraded saddle and upgraded stirrups. I have one and the only thing you have to watches that you keep his stamina replenished. His name is Zorro and he is lightning fast. The best saddle in the game is the gurdon trail saddle and worth waiting to be able to afford the upgrade. Pair that with hooded stirrups and you can successfully escape or chase when you need to.... I used to whine about the trotter because he was very very unpredictable and difficult. Then he settle down after and I realized he had been glitched

• Like 1

Speed and stamina!

I (rank 52) ride a heavy Ardennes Warhorse "Eagle". After ugrade with vaquero saddle and stirup both level 5 on speed/stamina.  

I want a Turkoman female horse on rank 56 with upgrade saddle/stirup. I hope she runs fast and call her "lightning"  😀😀 

Edited by Herta47

13 hours ago, lumper said:

I still have the horse I stole for Clay Davis, its a nice looking horse with very low stats.
Im wondering if I moved too quickly in that mission and maybe there was a better horse, but I was thinking hurry up and get out of here.

Story mode I had the rose grey Arabian, the White Arabian, The Trotter, the grey and white one and a Turkomon for the swamps and big fights.

I really miss my horses online, I am at like level 4 or some silly thing like that, when will I be able to upgrade my horse.

Here's  a handy little guide that shows what you unlock at each level. MFT unlocks at level 58. Don't  remember the price of the top of my head.

https://www.rdr2.org/guides/rank-unlocks-guide/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horses are a bit wacky online. I have a Silver Turk that is dumb as rocks , an Ardennes with skiddish tendencies. My black Arabian is braver than the Ardennes which makes zero sense. But my main horse is the Tiger Stripped Mustang . Horse fears nothing and is always were I need it to be . Had a MFT but sold it because it tripped over air and was scared of everything. As soon as I got off it , it would just run away. Don't get it because in story mode it was my main. Maybe I had a lemon but I noticed similar issues with my turks. My Dark Bay Turk was the best, while the Silver one is suspect as hell . Wouldn't surprise me if each horse has additional behavior traits . Like I find my female horses to be a lot better overall compared to the males. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper

11 hours ago, Savage_Reaper said:

main horse is the Tiger Stripped Mustang... My Dark Bay Turk was the best, while the Silver one is suspect as hell . Wouldn't surprise me if each horse has additional behavior traits . Like I find my female horses to be a lot better overall compared to the males. 

I would have had to name that mustang "Zebra," very highly rated and lives up to it. Jesse James is the name of my Missouri stallion, [who began his crime career in Missouri but a history boo-boo because he rode a mustang]  I have a brown Turk stallion online. Occasionally unsure on his feet and occasionally balks to respond to a whistle if we are separated by hills with rocks. He is not gun shy but does react if I shoot from the saddle: he shakes his head and whinneys. Gold Turk in story mode was my best... but mysteriously disappeared in the second epilogue never to be recovered or found. (? glitch?)

Edited by Major Dammidge
Bollixed

On 2/19/2019 at 9:48 AM, Ozy8753 said:

I have the Missouri Fox Trotter & the Turkoman with the panther saddle but until they patch horse issue it don't matter what horse you have a the moment. 

I agree riding the donkey would be just as effective. I believe all the horses have very similar stamina. Because the saddles are all the same. At the moment the saddles and stirrups appear to be cosmetic. 

Edited by dredd1961

I am very new, just hit level 17 today, I had the starting horse until the other day, around level 13 I think, I was able to buy the red Arabian.

I dont like Arabians for the most part, but it is a huge improvement from that nag I had.

I liked the look and size of my nag honestly but it couldnt run a mile without wanting to have a seizure and was very litle use to me in a mission or defending myself, the Arabian can really run, a long way, fast, so for now anyway I am really enjoying the upgrade, I cant wait to get up to a much higher level and be able to explore the horses online a little more.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:34 PM, Savage_Reaper said:

Horses are a bit wacky online. I have a Silver Turk that is dumb as rocks , an Ardennes with skiddish tendencies. My black Arabian is braver than the Ardennes which makes zero sense. But my main horse is the Tiger Stripped Mustang . Horse fears nothing and is always were I need it to be . Had a MFT but sold it because it tripped over air and was scared of everything. As soon as I got off it , it would just run away. Don't get it because in story mode it was my main. Maybe I had a lemon but I noticed similar issues with my turks. My Dark Bay Turk was the best, while the Silver one is suspect as hell . Wouldn't surprise me if each horse has additional behavior traits . Like I find my female horses to be a lot better overall compared to the males. 

Where did you sold your horse?  I sold several horses, but no refund at all!!!!

Own now a dark female Turkoman. So far so good. Missouri is faster😀

Spoiler

Edited by Herta47

I have a few questions:

1) Can you posses more horses ?  What's the stable fee ?

2) Can you switch horse during the gameplay or need visiting a stable ?

Edited by Herta47

19 hours ago, Herta47 said:

I have a few questions:

1) Can you posses more horses ?  What's the stable fee ?

2) Can you switch horse during the gameplay or need visiting a stable ?

A)It's not the stable fees that kill you. It's the insurance. I was going to add a fifth horse until I saw that the stall was $750. So a $950 horse + 750 + God knows what for insurance killed that idea. I'd rather spend a thousand bucks on a pamphlet.

B) you can assign your horses. Left directional button under stables you can choose which is your story mission, race, free roam, and (I think ) competition. It's convenient because you don't have to detour to find a stable for your particular activity. I have an Arabian, American thoroughbred, Missouri Fox Trotter and Ardennes--and I love to switch them out. 

The first horse I got after the starter horse is the red Arabian. I named him Red Liquor. He’s been good to me for the most part, but he lives up to his name. I occasionally get run into obstacles that should be out of the way and end up getting launched and landing in a big pile with my horse on top. But nerves of steel in a gunfight and I rarely get thrown during a predator attack. Other than the odd drunken swerve off the road and into a tree, fence or boulder, I have no complaints or desire to upgrade.

6 hours ago, Major Dammidge said:

A)It's not the stable fees that kill you. It's the insurance. I was going to add a fifth horse until I saw that the stall was $750. So a $950 horse + 750 + God knows what for insurance killed that idea. I'd rather spend a thousand bucks on a pamphlet.

B) you can assign your horses. Left directional button under stables you can choose which is your story mission, race, free roam, and (I think ) competition. It's convenient because you don't have to detour to find a stable for your particular activity. I have an Arabian, American thoroughbred, Missouri Fox Trotter and Ardennes--and I love to switch them out. 

Why Insurance on your horse? When it's killed you start the game and it's there again.

At this moment I struggle with updating my ability cards at 3 x 350,00 each for Tier 2 (don't know impact in the game?) or buying an extra horse? 

Edited by Herta47
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 3:34 PM, Savage_Reaper said:

After getting to know this Red Arabian, I kind of like him, he is dumb as a rock, and does run into stuff, and sometimes get stuck between a few stones on the ground and I literally yell at my tv to MOVE!!! lol but otherwise, he is loyal, always comes running even in the swamp, even when he decides to take off, I can bring him right back with a whistle and he is fast as ever, I may not even buy another horse, I l have to see how it goes.

With money this hard to come by, I cant see spending any money on things I definitely do not have to have.

I definitely want dynamite arrows, and explosive rounds, etc.cc I am sure pamphlets are expensive, so after I get my off hand holster and buy two volcanic pistols the only other things I will spend money on are ability card upgrades and pamphlets unless I discover something else I need or I finally get to a point where I have everything I want and extra money to burn, then maybe I would go for horses, other clothes, better camp, etc.. but at this point, at level 20, it seems a lifetime away.

Edited by lumper

@lumper I got sick and tired of grinding and didn't know how sick and tired I really was until I got another guy to ride in a posse. And then a third guy joined us. Instead of grinding by fishing and hunting and fighting off Griefers, we started running story and stranger missions and the levels just piled up as did the treasure maps.  It was a whole lot more fun. The 'noob' in my Posse was a level four. Two weeks later he was Level 28. I am now a posse member with a guy in Australia and another guy who is in great Britain. I'm in the central time zone but I make it a point to be online at 5 a.m. Central to play-- and all of a sudden I'm at level 94. Hooded stirrups, Gerden Trail then upgraded Gerden Trail saddles make just about any horse competitive!!! I don't even worry about ability cards. I did buy one expensive pamphlet for explosive shotgun slugs and those are reserved for Griefers or battles when we are outnumbered or against guys with extremely high levels. Just food for thought for you, Lump

Friend Me,  XBox Gamertag: The Grey Hare and if you see me on I will activate my Posse and good things can come of it for u. 

• Thanks 1

I ride a Turkoman right now, but they frequently run me out - even after hooded stirrups en Gerden Trail - and shoot me in the back. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

That's why I consider to buy a femail Missouri Fox Trotter or black Arabian.

1. What's your idea/experience about this consideration?
  2.  Can you switch horses during a mission?
  3. Are stirrups and saddlebags etc. automatically converted to your new horse during a mission or need double?

15 minutes ago, Herta47 said:

I ride a Turkoman right now, but they frequently run me out - even after hooded stirrups en Gerden Trail - and shoot me in the back. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!

That's why I consider to buy a femail Missouri Fox Trotter or black Arabian.

1. What's your idea/experience about this consideration?
  2.  Can you switch horses during a mission?
  3. Are stirrups and saddlebags etc. automatically converted to your new horse during a mission or need double?