Animal carcass theft

Ratly

If someone attempts to steal an animal carcass off the back of my horse do they incur any sort of bounty for doing so? Somehow I got a wanted level when I entered Rhodes and while I was waiting for it to go away someone ran up and tried to steal a deer off the back of my horse. I quickly ran over and smacked him with my rifle and executed him but then another player who I assumed was his buddy ran over and gunned me down. Is there any punishment for these types of players or am I the only one who gets punished for protecting my stuff?

3 hours ago, Ratly said:

If someone attempts to steal an animal carcass off the back of my horse do they incur any sort of bounty for doing so? Somehow I got a wanted level when I entered Rhodes and while I was waiting for it to go away someone ran up and tried to steal a deer off the back of my horse. I quickly ran over and smacked him with my rifle and executed him but then another player who I assumed was his buddy ran over and gunned me down. Is there any punishment for these types of players or am I the only one who gets punished for protecting my stuff?

Unfortunately this happens often. Idk why our horses don't kick like they do in story mode of you try to loot saddle bags (got to the point that I stopped trying cuz 8/10 I would get kicked despite calming the horse or even riding it).

It's stupid and I wish they would factor in theft like they do with vandalism and antagonizing.

But ya know, Rockstar wants to punish all forms of free roam killing. Welcome to what the people crying griefer every time they die have partially caused.

I have this happen to me quite a bit which is why I stay close to my horse, sometimes while hunting... this can be rather difficult. 

I would love them to at least off an alert feature. Like have the horse start making some loud noises and rear up or something. Don't make it so easy for people to take things.

I don't want the game altered to prevent these things. I do hate when I get killed and lose my perfect cougar pelt. We do have a mini map that I should have been watching. Kind of my fault. R* altered the radar to show violent players. I should heed the map and never trust blue dots either. I don't just shoot them, but when they show up, I pay attention to their proximity and activity. There was no alert system in the wild west. 

17 hours ago, danjou said:

player tried to take cougar off my horse. i killed him but as usual i am the bad guy. constantly getting bounty hunted for defending myself. 

I wouldn't worry about it. The bounties are pathetically low and when you go to pay it off, it's half the amount originally listed,making it even lower.

5 hours ago, Born Homicidal said:

why does everyone want punishments for anything relating to "PvE" aspects of the game, handle them if they try to steal, attack you etc.. while youre out there hunting and fishing.

And I do handle it, or I try to anyway. As far as I'm aware there is no penalty for them trying to steal from you or kill you, if I try to defend myself or my stuff by killing them I get penalized. 

5 hours ago, DNMNetTech said:

I don't want the game altered to prevent these things. I do hate when I get killed and lose my perfect cougar pelt. We do have a mini map that I should have been watching. Kind of my fault. R* altered the radar to show violent players. I should heed the map and never trust blue dots either. I don't just shoot them, but when they show up, I pay attention to their proximity and activity. There was no alert system in the wild west. 

I agree to an extent. I actually had a red blip sneak up on me the other day while I was getting herbs for a daily challenge. The radar showed several red blips to my west and when I checked my map they were all in west Elizabeth while I was near Rhodes. I'm not sure if I just missed this person on my map but I had just shot a 3 star buck when I noticed a red blip motoring towards me. If not for a blue blip that ran up I probably would've been shot while I was skinning my catch. We ended up having a stand off until the red player acted stupid and we killed them. 

In my original post it was my fault. I saw blue blips but I figured they were far enough away. When I couldn't make the sale due to my wanted level that pause when o was wondering how I got a wanted level gave the blue blips enough time to run up to me and attempt to steal my deer from my horse.

5 hours ago, Vaderspupil said:

I wouldn't worry about it. The bounties are pathetically low and when you go to pay it off, it's half the amount originally listed,making it even lower.

I agree that the bounties are pathetic, it's just so annoying that you get penalized for self defense or protecting your stuff. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 11:45 PM, danjou said:

player tried to take cougar off my horse. i killed him but as usual i am the bad guy. constantly getting bounty hunted for defending myself. 

try next time make warning shot, than kill him when he is "red" after warning

While in gun shop in Annesburg, I watched a player take a perfect cougar off my horse and replace it with a 1 star deer. I watched the whole thing. I let him get back to his horse before I shot him. I had to laugh. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper

4 hours ago, Savage_Reaper said:

While in gun shop in Annesburg, I watched a player take a perfect cougar off my horse and replace it with a 1 star deer. I watched the whole thing. I let him get back to his horse before I shot him. I had to laugh. 

LOL, wtf 

See I guess thats funny and I can see that happening, I wonder if you dont kill but confront, maybe even fight said person if that would still end in a bounty.

2 minutes ago, lumper said:

LOL, wtf 

See I guess thats funny and I can see that happening, I wonder if you dont kill but confront, maybe even fight said person if that would still end in a bounty.

I always have a bounty. Lol. I have given up on bounties. I seem to average a $ 20 bounty most times. I have gotten use to it at this point. 

• Like 1

Was robbed y-day while selling stuff to butcher. Some dude took my perfect carcass from my horse lol. I was sure that when i trade my horse is off limits but hey guess i was wrong.  Anyway i shot that  guy that did that in the head with a sawed off.     Man i love this game. 

Edited by James Hickok_1837

3 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Was robbed y-day while selling stuff to butcher. Some dude took my perfect carcass from my horse lol. I was sure that when i trade my horse is off limits but hey guess i was wrong.  Anyway i shot that  guy that did that in the head with a sawed off.     Man i love this game. 

Nope. That is why you always grab your carcass off the horse and put on your shoulder. Only way a lurker can't try to steal it.

• Like 1

I had a guy try to steal my fish of the back of my horse this weekend while I was fishing. I quit fishing and looked at him. Walked to my horse and he still took it off the horse. I shot him he parlayed and I took my fish to butcher. I then had to pay off my bounty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DNMNetTech said:

I had a guy try to steal my fish of the back of my horse this weekend while I was fishing. I quit fishing and looked at him. Walked to my horse and he still took it off the horse. I shot him he parlayed and I took my fish to butcher. I then had to pay off my bounty.

Dual sawed offs to the face is a great deterrent. Gotta give them credit for trying. I watched a guy camp the butcher in Valentine just taking stuff off people's horses. He was slick about it. I did shoot him before I went to the butcher though. But you be amazed how many people didn't see him taking birds, deers , etc off their horse and selling it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Savage_Reaper said:

Nope. That is why you always grab your carcass off the horse and put on your shoulder. Only way a lurker can't try to steal it.

Thanks for the advice 😁

2 hours ago, Savage_Reaper said:

Dual sawed offs to the face is a great deterrent. Gotta give them credit for trying. I watched a guy camp the butcher in Valentine just taking stuff off people's horses. He was slick about it. I did shoot him before I went to the butcher though. But you be amazed how many people didn't see him taking birds, deers , etc off their horse and selling it. 

Damn im pretty sure i saw my thief a couple of Times too in tumbleweed. Dual sawed off's to the face it was 😀

1 hour ago, DNMNetTech said:

Usually there are at least two of us in a posse when I play. One watches from a safe distance while the other sells. Not to deter them but shoot them if they get sketchy. Most of the time nobody bothers us. 

Good for You for organizing. This game is So fun. So many ways to play it. I dont get the whiners with private mode crap.  

• Like 1

At level 4 bonding your horse should at least do something when a stranger approaches. Maybe a smaller horse might make noise and rear back trying to avoid the stranger and a war horse might just kick the stranger in the face.

Then again I suppose they'll just end up shooting your horse but hey at least you'll know someone's trying to steal something.

Edited by Ratly
  • Like 1