Fast Travel At Camp ... Is It Worth It?

EaglesLanding

Question

Is Fast Travel worth have at camp? The bigger question for me ... are posse members able to use Fast Travel from camp if the posse leader has it equipped? I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase it.

I am thinking of a strategy involving hunting wagons and Fast Travel from camp if Posse members are able to use it. Also, what happens with Cripps & the Butcher Table in the posse camp. Does each posse member have their own Cripps & Butcher Table ... or does everyone just need to go to their individual camp to manage their Trader Business?

24 answers to this question

I love having the fast travel at camp. I am able to go to and from camp to where I need to in a snap. It's great when your across the map and realize you need a resupply run.

Posse members can use the fast travel at camp as well. 

Posse members can contribute to Cripps butcher table at camp but only leader can start missions for Cripps. I have my posse fill their wagons then they all load up Cripps with supplies and materials. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

.......as for it being "worth it", that's really a personal decision based on your own playstyle and needs.  I rarely use fast travel in the game so in my case, I never even considered it.  I just ride to a local FT spot when needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DNMNetTech said:

I love having the fast travel at camp. I am able to go to and from camp to where I need to in a snap. It's great when your across the map and realize you need a resupply run.

Posse members can use the fast travel at camp as well. 

Posse members can contribute to Cripps butcher table at camp but only leader can start missions for Cripps. I have my posse fill their wagons then they all load up Cripps with supplies and materials. 

Thank you for your response. I use FT frequently to get to camp now for resupply missions especially when I am on the other side of the map. I did not realize you could do that until a couple months ago without the FT post at the camp. You helped me decide to get it for my camp with you answer. Thanks for answering about Cripps and the butcher table also! There are SO many new options to embrace with this update!

• Like 2

First off yes it is worth it.

Your posse can use it.

I love it, one of the best things I ever bought in game, saves me tons of time.

I enjoy being out doing multiple things, realize I have a full load so Ill drop in camp from any fast travel post, drop off everything, energize my guy, then hit the post to go right back to where I left off, plus many other examples of ways I use it.

Money is really flowing in this game once you get the collector role, even the trader, so my advice is yes, buy it as soon as you can.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:02 PM, lumper said:

First off yes it is worth it.

Your posse can use it.

I love it, one of the best things I ever bought in game, saves me tons of time.

I enjoy being out doing multiple things, realize I have a full load so Ill drop in camp from any fast travel post, drop off everything, energize my guy, then hit the post to go right back to where I left off, plus many other examples of ways I use it.

Money is really flowing in this game once you get the collector role, even the trader, so my advice is yes, buy it as soon as you can.

So if you have a deer on the back of your horse and use FT to go directly into Camp, the deer is still there when you get there???  For some reason I thought that you couldn't use the Camp FT to transport goods for Crips..?  This could be life-changing if I am reading you right!

1 hour ago, SimonTemplar said:

So if you have a deer on the back of your horse and use FT to go directly into Camp, the deer is still there when you get there???  For some reason I thought that you couldn't use the Camp FT to transport goods for Crips..?  This could be life-changing if I am reading you right!

You're reading it right.  You keep everything on your horse when you FT, now (ahh, the Beta, whatever became of ye?)

I never even considered a camp fast travel post until the trader role gave me a reason to go to camp.  Now I use it a lot.  A LOT!

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 6:25 AM, SimonTemplar said:

Yes  everything will be there AND will be as it was, no degraded as it used to be in the Beta and Spring update.

Now if you load a 3 star moose on North of Annesberg then ft to camp in New Austin you still have a 3 star when you get there.

I love the fast travel, I find the time I save I make up for the cost of fast travelling. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 12:47 PM, Harlock1796 said:

You're reading it right.  You keep everything on your horse when you FT, now (ahh, the Beta, whatever became of ye?)

I never even considered a camp fast travel post until the trader role gave me a reason to go to camp.  Now I use it a lot.  A LOT!

On 10/25/2019 at 5:57 PM, lumper said:

Yes  everything will be there AND will be as it was, no degraded as it used to be in the Beta and Spring update.

Now if you load a 3 star moose on North of Annesberg then ft to camp in New Austin you still have a 3 star when you get there.

I love the fast travel, I find the time I save I make up for the cost of fast travelling. 

I have now had this for a few days and, in conjunction with the large delivery wagon, it has changed my (RDR) life/economy.  Making $500 a run for local deliveries, I made four of those in my first two sessions, so easily paying for the investment in my camp.  Now I can fast travel in when I take good carcasses, then run other missions while Cripps works his magic.  Suddenly I have gone from being a subsistence economy to having $3-4000 in cash constantly, freeing me up to just do what I fancy.  Also started me levelling up more quickly - in the eighties now and doing a couple of ranks a session.  Amazing stuff.  Just need to work out how to work the hunting wagon now (bought it with my new-found riches but haven't used it).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EaglesLanding said:

Just sell one full Collector collection and you will have plenty of RDO$ to do lots of Fast Travel 👍 

Quite - I banked over $2000 and almost a whole level of xp in one visit to Nazar last night.  If I hadn't then blown the lot in the gunsmith I'd have bought myself a new horse to celebrate.  She is the route to the millionaire lifestyle, that lady.  Even if she does find me a bit mundane.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:06 AM, SimonTemplar said:

I have now had this for a few days and, in conjunction with the large delivery wagon, it has changed my (RDR) life/economy.  Making $500 a run for local deliveries, I made four of those in my first two sessions, so easily paying for the investment in my camp.  Now I can fast travel in when I take good carcasses, then run other missions while Cripps works his magic.  Suddenly I have gone from being a subsistence economy to having $3-4000 in cash constantly, freeing me up to just do what I fancy.  Also started me levelling up more quickly - in the eighties now and doing a couple of ranks a session.  Amazing stuff.  Just need to work out how to work the hunting wagon now (bought it with my new-found riches but haven't used it).

Yes the economy opens up substantially once you become a trader/collector.

The hunting wagon to me is a waste, I own them all, but I never use them.

By the time you get it out and use it, its full, then you have to send it away or ride it back, and get your horse, etc.. I dont bother, I just hunt on my horse, yes you can only carry one carcass but you can carry over 50 pelts and other stowed animals, everyone is different, but for me, I never use the hunting wagon, I tried it twice when it was new and found I can do as well or better without it.

I wish it held a lot more than it does, if you only use it for good carcasses it can be helpful in some instances especially daily challenges but otherwise to me, it isnt necessary or worth it.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:51 PM, lumper said:

Yes the economy opens up substantially once you become a trader/collector.

The hunting wagon to me is a waste, I own them all, but I never use them.

By the time you get it out and use it, its full, then you have to send it away or ride it back, and get your horse, etc.. I dont bother, I just hunt on my horse, yes you can only carry one carcass but you can carry over 50 pelts and other stowed animals, everyone is different, but for me, I never use the hunting wagon, I tried it twice when it was new and found I can do as well or better without it.

I wish it held a lot more than it does, if you only use it for good carcasses it can be helpful in some instances especially daily challenges but otherwise to me, it isnt necessary or worth it.

I tried it over the weekend and was similarly unimpressed.  If it held more, and if I could maybe tether my horse to it so I could have both out at once, to facilitate more ranging, then maybe, but as it is I think I'll stick to my horse for hunting.  With fast travel into Camp I'm never really short on stock, anyway.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 5:50 AM, nshanny73 said:

good luck storing 50 pelts on your horse without a disconnect.... the hunting wagon also will hold 50 pelts but at least you don't lose them with the inevitable rockstar error

It has never happened to me yet I am level 303.

I rarely get disconnected though, and the few times I did I didnt have much if anything on my horse.

I dont usually carry that many pelts but I did in a couple scenarios.
Normally I hunt for daily challenges, so in doing that I skin everything after I get a 3 star carcass and then I go turn it all in.

The wagon just takes time, cant access everywhere I can on my horse, can be an issue in certain locations, etc.. it just isnt for me.

To each his own.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lumper said:

It has never happened to me yet I am level 303.

I rarely get disconnected though, and the few times I did I didnt have much if anything on my horse.

I dont usually carry that many pelts but I did in a couple scenarios.
Normally I hunt for daily challenges, so in doing that I skin everything after I get a 3 star carcass and then I go turn it all in.

The wagon just takes time, cant access everywhere I can on my horse, can be an issue in certain locations, etc.. it just isnt for me.

To each his own.

Yes quite agree.  I think I have had half a dozen disconnects total and I have been playing since just after last Christmas.  Think I probably lost more time to my abortive attempts to make the hunting wagon work for me than I did to the disconnects!!  As you say, we all play our own way.  Once fast travel was up and running in my camp I just grab the odd extra good carcass while I'm out and about.  Once the Collector role basically made cash meaningless (I use notes for kindling to get my campfire going), fast travel in camp became incredibly powerful.