I'm not an online gamer at all, so i have to ask...

Trespasser

Basically you get to play with other players. It's separate from the single player Story mode. It can involve doing things cooperatively, or against, or even by your self in some remote section of the map. If you are new to RDR2, then you might want to play the story mode until you get familiar with playing the game.

Here is an article on it. 

https://www.gamesradar.com/red-dead-online-guide-walkthrough/

I agree with Volt.  My sons got me the game last Christmas.  I played the entire story mode and then some before trying online.  I just started playing online this past June.  The story mode does help with online.  You can run into some harsh characters online so don't get discouraged with it.  Do you know that women can be vicious?  Some of the harshest characters I've run into are women playing with female characters.  I am an adult and for me it's fun.  And I don't even have friends that play.  Anyone that I play with online, which isn't many, are people I've never met.  I was surprised at the number of adults that play it.  To me it's a the Wild West with real people.  You just don't have to worry about dying.  😂  You always respawn.  

• Like 1

Yes I'd echo the responses above.  Until 18 months ago I had never gamed online, despite being a gamer for any years.  Then my eldest son (he's 14, I'm 45) got into playing Fifa online with his school friends, so asked me if I could set up Xbox Live at home (he was gaming on my old Xbox One, the ever-lovely Mrs Templar got me a One X that Christmas).  I did, and then realised that my game of choice at the time (Elite Dangerous) had an online mode.  I tried that out of pure curiosity, died a lot but loved the online experience.  Then last Christmas my kids got me RDR2 (apparently I had been 'going on about how great it was going to be for months'), and I completed the single player campaign twice and loved it.  I'm on FB so saw a lot of chatter about online, so dipped my toe in over the Summer.  Fast forward a few months and I am level 85, play solely RDR online (have even stopped Elite Dangerous, cripes, and I love that game but something had to give), and am on most days.  

In terms of what to expect, it really is just a sim of being a wandering cowboy at the end of the Old West, so you can make of it what you will.  Personally, I spend around 75% of my time alone, mixing up hunting, fishing, looking for treasure and some bounty hunting.  I also put a lot of time into developing my camp, as well as my own character's equipment, clothing and horses.  I have a few different clothing/horse combos which I cycle between for different sessions, depending on what I am doing, each with its own weapons loadout.

The other 25% of my time, I am in posses with a few acquaintances I met purely through the game.  For instance, last night a posse leader noticed that I was online, reformed the posse, and the three of us teamed up for some bounty hunting.  I am in another posse which does some voice comms, turns out the posse leader is a steel fabricator, while I am a currency trader.  I think that most of the players are adults, and many are (like Elite) older gamers with kids or grandchildren.

But it is an open sandbox game.  There are various online challenges, where players compete against one another (I like to do one where you look for buried treasure, winner is the one who finds the most, and one where you work together to defend a train against bandits, but there are many I have not tried), but really you can just ride around finding adventures as you come across them.  There are many parallels to Elite, if you have played that - that is a space ship, this is a horse, but really how you approach both games is entirely up to you.

It is the best antidote to real life that I have found.

1 hour ago, SixGunLover76 said:

I agree with Volt.  My sons got me the game last Christmas.  I played the entire story mode and then some before trying online.  I just started playing online this past June.  The story mode does help with online.  You can run into some harsh characters online so don't get discouraged with it.  Do you know that women can be vicious?  Some of the harshest characters I've run into are women playing with female characters.  I am an adult and for me it's fun.  And I don't even have friends that play.  Anyone that I play with online, which isn't many, are people I've never met.  I was surprised at the number of adults that play it.  To me it's a the Wild West with real people.  You just don't have to worry about dying.  😂  You always respawn.  

Always good to hear of another cowboy introduced to the Old West by their kids at Christmas!  Mine bought me the game, and got naming rights over my first four horses as part of the deal.  So now I have four horses, all with ridiculous names - Festive Jim, Festive Lolly, Festive Chestnut and Festive Snowy, one for each of the children.  The first two are named after our cats, the third no idea why, and the fourth by my six year old daughter as it's a white horse she bought me for Christmas (yes, she thinks of it as buying me a horse for Christmas).  Given she's six it could have been much worse.  Slightly tricky to strike the 'tough man of the West' tone with a horse named 'Festive Snowy' standing behind you, but a man does his best.  The memories our kids give us!

4 hours ago, SimonTemplar said:

(have even stopped Elite Dangerous, cripes, and I love that game but something had to give),

This sounds familiar!

I was pretty obsessed with Elite Dangerous for a couple of years (having been a fan of the early '80s original on the Sinclair Spectrum), but haven't booted it up since the day RDR2 dropped.

Back to the OP:

7 hours ago, Trespasser said:

...what does the online feature do? i know that you get to create your own character and get hired to do stuff, but other than that what can i expect? thank you.

Like the folks above have said, be prepared to run into some idiots along the way, who will shoot you to death for no obvious reason.  Don't let it get you down and don't let it put you off the game, you don't really lose anything from being murdered in this way. I don't find it happens as much as it used to, and if you do encounter it, the 'Parley' option while you are waiting to respawn is your friend - choose to Parley, and the murderer (and his Posse) can't touch you for 10 minutes.

Other than that, take care when designing your character.  You can change their appearance later on, but there is a price for that, and it's a high one for someone just starting out.  There are loads of customisation options for the appearance, make sure you use them all, unless you don't mind looking like a sideshow freak, of course.

Good luck!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harlock1796 said:

This sounds familiar!

I was pretty obsessed with Elite Dangerous for a couple of years (having been a fan of the early '80s original on the Sinclair Spectrum), but haven't booted it up since the day RDR2 dropped.

Right there with you - many a happy evening spent hunched over the C64, trying to lock missiles and hoping to avoid Thargoids.  Happy days, and the new game comes close.  But I'm a cowboy at heart, it turns out.

9 minutes ago, Harlock1796 said:

Like the folks above have said, be prepared to run into some idiots along the way, who will shoot you to death for no obvious reason.  Don't let it get you down and don't let it put you off the game, you don't really lose anything from being murdered in this way. I don't find it happens as much as it used to, and if you do encounter it, the 'Parley' option while you are waiting to respawn is your friend - choose to Parley, and the murderer (and his Posse) can't touch you for 10 minutes.

Other than that, take care when designing your character.  You can change their appearance later on, but there is a price for that, and it's a high one for someone just starting out.  There are loads of customisation options for the appearance, make sure you use them all, unless you don't mind looking like a sideshow freak, of course.

Good luck!

That's good advice right there.  I had to restart initially as I couldn't live with my new face.  Felt like a mobster who had gone on the run on the cheap and had his face done in a back alley in a banana republic.

8 hours ago, SimonTemplar said:

Yes I'd echo the responses above.  Until 18 months ago I had never gamed online, despite being a gamer for any years.  Then my eldest son (he's 14, I'm 45) got into playing Fifa online with his school friends, so asked me if I could set up Xbox Live at home (he was gaming on my old Xbox One, the ever-lovely Mrs Templar got me a One X that Christmas).  I did, and then realised that my game of choice at the time (Elite Dangerous) had an online mode.  I tried that out of pure curiosity, died a lot but loved the online experience.  Then last Christmas my kids got me RDR2 (apparently I had been 'going on about how great it was going to be for months'), and I completed the single player campaign twice and loved it.  I'm on FB so saw a lot of chatter about online, so dipped my toe in over the Summer.  Fast forward a few months and I am level 85, play solely RDR online (have even stopped Elite Dangerous, cripes, and I love that game but something had to give), and am on most days.  

In terms of what to expect, it really is just a sim of being a wandering cowboy at the end of the Old West, so you can make of it what you will.  Personally, I spend around 75% of my time alone, mixing up hunting, fishing, looking for treasure and some bounty hunting.  I also put a lot of time into developing my camp, as well as my own character's equipment, clothing and horses.  I have a few different clothing/horse combos which I cycle between for different sessions, depending on what I am doing, each with its own weapons loadout.

The other 25% of my time, I am in posses with a few acquaintances I met purely through the game.  For instance, last night a posse leader noticed that I was online, reformed the posse, and the three of us teamed up for some bounty hunting.  I am in another posse which does some voice comms, turns out the posse leader is a steel fabricator, while I am a currency trader.  I think that most of the players are adults, and many are (like Elite) older gamers with kids or grandchildren.

But it is an open sandbox game.  There are various online challenges, where players compete against one another (I like to do one where you look for buried treasure, winner is the one who finds the most, and one where you work together to defend a train against bandits, but there are many I have not tried), but really you can just ride around finding adventures as you come across them.  There are many parallels to Elite, if you have played that - that is a space ship, this is a horse, but really how you approach both games is entirely up to you.

It is the best antidote to real life that I have found.

Like @SimonTemplar I never got into online gaming until about 14 months ago. My grandsons got a PS4 Pro and I decided to get one to play online with them AND help their mother screen game titles for the boys to play. I got hooked on the very idea of Red Dead Redemption 2 before it launched when checking out games for the boys. I have been playing  (almost 100% solo) since launch and enjoy it tremendously! The new roles have pumped new life in the game for me so I play a bit more now since they launched. I'm 65yo so I can attest to the fact old guys can get lots of enjoyment from this great online experience either solo or with friends.

Hmmmm ... can anyone beat 65yo ... or am I the oldest one here? 😎

IMG_3196.JPEG

Edited by EaglesLanding
  • Like 2

At a ripening age of 47yrs old this is my first real online game . Loved the story (got it for Christmas). Am really enjoying the online side (tried CoD WW2 - but did not like it at all).

Just wish i could find some like minded people to join the posse. I am not brilliant at this game, i still dont know what my favourite settings are. But really love the content online and revel in the prospect of running into someone in game, not knowing if they are going to shoot you or wave at you.

Yes there are players out there who like to shoot at you for whatever reason. But with a bit of practise I am sure revenge will be sweet. Its never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

I do like fishing on the Dakota!

Edited by rdr200%
  • Like 1

The easiest way I can explain online is this:

It is a wonderful time machine that takes you back to the old west where you can basically "play life" how you want. If you want to be a criminal, go for it. If you want to be a good guy who abides by the law, cheers to that. You can role-play as light or as hard as you want to. Gangs are encouraged as you are never 100% safe, just like in the real life old west. You want to have people who will have your back. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 2:37 AM, Trespasser said:

...what does the online feature do? i know that you get to create your own character and get hired to do stuff, but other than that what can i expect? thank you.

I am like the OP not an online gamer, I almost never play games in multiplayer, I tried this one reluctantly but since the game was so amazing I thought I owed it to myself to try it.

You can find my old posts from last March on here, I didnt get it, from level 7 to 38 was so miserable back then, it was BETA and things were very different, but once I got to level 55 I felt a lot better and stuck it out, today I am on level 290 and I play it everyday for daily challenges and wait for updates, there are several ways to really enjoy the game online and it truly is a lot of fun even if you arent the type of person who normally plays online multiplayer games.

If you give it a try, you may enjoy it, it really is like an extension of Story mode but again online is a prequel, it takes place a year or more before the events of Story mode in RDR2.

Like most other games there is PVP mode so you can try various modes of player vs player that exist like showdowns and races, etc.. but free roam also has many mission givers, dynamic events, story missions for online only, some for high honor others for low honor players, now we have roles you can buy into trader, collector and bounty hunter roles, are very fun, make a ton of money and open up many other things to do in free roam, there really is a lot of ways to enjoy and experience rdr2 online.

On 11/6/2019 at 4:51 PM, Volt said:

Basically you get to play with other players. It's separate from the single player Story mode. It can involve doing things cooperatively, or against, or even by your self in some remote section of the map. If you are new to RDR2, then you might want to play the story mode until you get familiar with playing the game.

Here is an article on it. 

https://www.gamesradar.com/red-dead-online-guide-walkthrough/

Yes, it's what i'm doing right now. The story mode is giving me sleepless nights. Love the western genre.