Mercy Killing vs Bleeding out

Madrigalian

First, please forgive me if I am missing something. 

But, to my knowledge there is no way to perform a mercy kill on an animal that has been shot but is only slowly bleeding out.  If you do nothing, the animal will eventually die, but only after it has lingered for several minutes, moaning and thrashing, and your upset wife and daughter leave the room and don't want to speak to you anymore because of your heartless cruelty and lack of compassion for pixels.  And I have to admit, I hate waiting around and listening to the slow death, as well.

Or, you can shoot them again or stab them to finish them off quickly and end the "horror".  But my experience has been that either option almost always results in a decrease in the quality of the pelt or carcass afterward.   Like hell, am I letting that happen.

So, is it just me?  Am I missing some method of Mercy Killing that would keep the women in my home from looking at me as if I am a monster and at the same time preserve the quality of the kill?   If so, please share.  My marriage may depend on it.  

If not, has anyone seen anything from R* as to why it isn't a feature in the game?  It seems to me to be something that should have been included from the beginning.

Thoughts?  

• Like 2

In single player you can finish the animal off with your knife in a short animation without lowering the quality. In multiplayer, your only option is to let it bleed and take the small honour hit... However, I tend to stomp them before skinning them if it’s already a lower quality animal... 

I had problems with that when i styarted playing mostly bcoz the death of an animal in this game is sooooo realistic. My uncle once took me hunting and i remember the screams....just the same. 

I dont have to answer to my kids or wife bcoz i live alone but i have to say that i got comfortable with it. It doesnt bother me anymore to stand around 4 deers that i shot and w8 for them to bleed out. I wouldnt hurt animals in real life bcoz i respect them more than i do humans but as as said i got comfortable with the screams bczo i know its all virtual. 

What would be cool is some kind hunting knife and ability to finish off animals without deteriorating the pelt. Sometimes i get angry for w8ting for them to die :P 

Well, as a hunter and trapped in real life... I can’t say I’ve shot very many animals that hang on as long as they do in the game... Not very realistic. (I shot a deer just this past Monday... It bolted about 30 yards and was as dead as dead gets by the time I racked a second round into my old Enfield and walked over to it). But I suppose growing up rural and actually hunting for food or turning live animals into packaged meat for consumers I l’ve just seen more of it than most.

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, shawn said:

I have always had trouble with getting three star pelts. No matter which option I choose, be it to kill the animal or let it bleed out, they just end up dropping in quality when I skin them.

I’m pretty sure if you follow the guid that’s kicking around somewhere on what weapons  to  use on what game, only shoot the animal once (preferably a nearly instant fatal shot such as head or neck) you should be good. Make sure your not using express ammo or the likes. My one shots with animal appropriate weapons keep the 3* at perfect even with a bleed out... (though I take a minor honour hit for being a cruel SOB). Also, make sure your horse doesn’t accidentally step on it... maybe excessive running and thrashing from a really bad shot could degrade it a little, I’d have to test...

11 hours ago, The_Liquor said:

Well, as a hunter and trapped in real life... I can’t say I’ve shot very many animals that hang on as long as they do in the game... Not very realistic. (I shot a deer just this past Monday... It bolted about 30 yards and was as dead as dead gets by the time I racked a second round into my old Enfield and walked over to it). But I suppose growing up rural and actually hunting for food or turning live animals into packaged meat for consumers I l’ve just seen more of it than most.

When my uncle took me hunting he shot a male goat but missed and hit him in his front legs totally shredding them to strips of skin and meat. The goat started running using only the back legs and made a red blood line on the ground. We had to follow it for about 150-200 meters to catch on him and he was still alive by then. I was amazed how strong he was. 

I bet if you shoot it accurate they will die faster.     

My uncle said that if you shoot a boar in the heart sometimes it can run up to 100 meters still. I dont know if thais is true or not. Maybe you can clarify? 

7 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

When my uncle took me hunting he shot a male goat but missed and hit him in his front legs totally shredding them to strips of skin and meat. The goat started running using only the back legs and made a red blood line on the ground. We had to follow it for about 150-200 meters to catch on him and he was still alive by then. I was amazed how strong he was. 

I bet if you shoot it accurate they will die faster.     

My uncle said that if you shoot a boar in the heart sometimes it can run up to 100 meters still. I dont know if thais is true or not. Maybe you can clarify? 

Quite possibly. Pigs are tough critters. I’ve seen deer dash about that far with fatal wounds to the vital organs. But most things really don’t live long with giant holes in their heart, lungs and major arteries. It really does come down to accurate shot placement. But never in my life have I seen any critter with a blown out boiler room moan and squirm as long as they do in RDR. Then again, I tend to (like most sane people) use a shotgun for flying birds and never once have I seen anyone lasso a deer and try to kill it with their knife (those things can kick you and gore you to death quite easily if you get that close to a live one....

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2019 at 10:10 PM, Madrigalian said:

First, please forgive me if I am missing something. 

But, to my knowledge there is no way to perform a mercy kill on an animal that has been shot but is only slowly bleeding out.  If you do nothing, the animal will eventually die, but only after it has lingered for several minutes, moaning and thrashing, and your upset wife and daughter leave the room and don't want to speak to you anymore because of your heartless cruelty and lack of compassion for pixels.  And I have to admit, I hate waiting around and listening to the slow death, as well.

Or, you can shoot them again or stab them to finish them off quickly and end the "horror".  But my experience has been that either option almost always results in a decrease in the quality of the pelt or carcass afterward.   Like hell, am I letting that happen.

So, is it just me?  Am I missing some method of Mercy Killing that would keep the women in my home from looking at me as if I am a monster and at the same time preserve the quality of the kill?   If so, please share.  My marriage may depend on it.  

If not, has anyone seen anything from R* as to why it isn't a feature in the game?  It seems to me to be something that should have been included from the beginning.

Thoughts?  

Have you tried explaining to your wife that it's a game and they literally feel nothing and she needs to learn to tell the difference it's not as if your actually taking your wife hunting hopefully when i get married I'll marry a woman who is up for hunting with me but that's besides the point all the advice I can give you for the game is to aim at it's head thankfully it's a game so it won't move around a little after you've shot it so Good luck mate

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Seikyo Bushi said:

Have you tried explaining to your wife that it's a game and they literally feel nothing and she needs to learn to tell the difference it's not as if your actually taking your wife hunting hopefully when i get married I'll marry a woman who is up for hunting with me but that's besides the point all the advice I can give you for the game is to aim at it's head thankfully it's a game so it won't move around a little after you've shot it so Good luck mate

There are things that make my wife uncomfortable like certain types of scary movies, certain criminal docus, etc.  Guess what?......   I don't try to make her feel stupid about it by explaining the obvious or dismissing /questioning her anxieties, emotions, etc.  I simply don't watch them when she's around out of respect.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

There are things that make my wife uncomfortable like certain types of scary movies, certain criminal docus, etc.  Guess what?......   I don't try to make her feel stupid about it by explaining the obvious or dismissing /questioning her anxieties, emotions, etc.  I simply don't watch them when she's around out of respect.  

Guess our cultures work different since we try to enlighten the ones we love but hey eeach to their own

Off-topic: My ex was a very deep animal lover and it got to the point where I couldn't eat meat around her. I adjusted and it was annoying sometimes but I cared about her to I made due. She would get upset seeing animals in games like this die and I couldn't even play RDR with her in the room. Some people are more sensitive to empathy and anxiety than others.

Anyways, I just go with the bleed out route myself. 

22 hours ago, Seikyo Bushi said:

Hmmm, so speaks someone who doesn't have a wife to try to explain things to.

I wish you luck in your quest for a lady who (1) shares your love of hunting and (2) will sit quietly while you rationally mansplain to her the difference between real life and a computer game. 😜

Back on topic, though.  I continue to love RDO, but I do find it disappointing that R* haven't implemented some of these little things that were already present in the single player campaign, such as mercy killing.  The Code must all be there already.

Edited by Harlock1796
extra point rather than double post
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Seikyo Bushi said:

Guess our cultures work different since we try to enlighten the ones we love but hey eeach to their own

Naw....  Nothing to do with culture.  Just that I'm not going to belittle my wife like that. She doesn't like scary movies and we may joke around about it but I'm not going to be patronizing.  She knows it's not real but certain ones can make her feel really uncomfortable for certain reasons.  I just don't watch those when she's around.

The OPs wife has a problem with one aspect of the game involving the cries from dying animals which happens to bother her. She obviously knows it's not real.  

4 hours ago, dIV4r said:

Off-topic: My ex was a very deep animal lover and it got to the point where I couldn't eat meat around her. I adjusted and it was annoying sometimes but I cared about her to I made due. She would get upset seeing animals in games like this die and I couldn't even play RDR with her in the room. Some people are more sensitive to empathy and anxiety than others.

Anyways, I just go with the bleed out route myself. 

That sucks.  I like some animals too but partly because I think they're tasty.  ;) That would be a bridge too far for me.  Sorry you didn't see that incompatibility before it happened.  

• Like 1

My wife doesn’t really want to hunt. But she sure does appreciate me filling up the freezer with all sorts of steaks, sausage, ground meats and birds for roasting and frying from my hunting efforts... She absolutely loves fishing though...

As for animals bleeding out, I kind of preferred the white dots being there. I tend to shot multiple animals in one go online. The dying ones seem to have more de-spawn resistance than the dead ones. So I’ll shoot five deer/antipope/whatever then skin the dead ones first while the others moan and die...

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

The OPs wife has a problem with one aspect of the game involving the cries from dying animals which happens to bother her. She obviously knows it's not real.  

Exactly.  And truthfully, all kidding aside, it bothers me too.  I have been a hunter since I was old enough to hold a rifle.  I have been taught by my grandfather, taught by his grandfather, to have respect, thankfulness (for their sacrifice) and yes, even compassion for the animals we hunt.  You never let an animal suffer.  My grandfather would get quite angry if you missed the "kill" shot and the animal went running. We would track it as far as necessary to make sure the animal wasn't laying somewhere suffering.  And when necessary, a mercy kill was not something that you took your time with.  One motion, quick, over.  Respect.

While I know it's only a game and pixels don't bleed or feel pain it still rubs me the wrong way as it goes against my moral character to stand back and watch (and listen to) an animal suffer.  Clearly R* knows this too.  That's why you take an honor hit if you let them bleed out.  So, while my original point about the women in my life being unhappy about it is true, it's also true that it bothers me.  Not enough to make me quit the game, of course. 

But enough to beg the question; Why didn't R* build in a method to allow us to cleanly end the suffering without damaging the pelt?  It seems to me to be more of an oversight than anything.  Like others have said, I'm pretty sure this was in the single player game.  Either that or there just wasn't as many animals running after being shot and I just didn't notice it as much.

Don't know.  Anyway, I was just hoping someone had a method that I was missing.   No worries...  

7 minutes ago, Madrigalian said:

Exactly.  And truthfully, all kidding aside, it bothers me too.  I have been a hunter since I was old enough to hold a rifle.  I have been taught by my grandfather, taught by his grandfather, to have respect, thankfulness (for their sacrifice) and yes, even compassion for the animals we hunt.  You never let an animal suffer.  My grandfather would get quite angry if you missed the "kill" shot and the animal went running. We would track it as far as necessary to make sure the animal wasn't laying somewhere suffering.  And when necessary, a mercy kill was not something that you took your time with.  One motion, quick, over.  Respect.

While I know it's only a game and pixels don't bleed or feel pain it still rubs me the wrong way as it goes against my moral character to stand back and watch (and listen to) an animal suffer.  Clearly R* knows this too.  That's why you take an honor hit if you let them bleed out.  So, while my original point about the women in my life being unhappy about it is true, it's also true that it bothers me.  Not enough to make me quit the game, of course. 

But enough to beg the question; Why didn't R* build in a method to allow us to cleanly end the suffering without damaging the pelt?  It seems to me to be more of an oversight than anything.  Like others have said, I'm pretty sure this was in the single player game.  Either that or there just wasn't as many animals running after being shot and I just didn't notice it as much.

Don't know.  Anyway, I was just hoping someone had a method that I was missing.   No worries...  

I completely get where you are coming from here. In real life I strive for the quickest and most humane harvest I can manage with the tools and regulations at my disposal... But in real life I also don’t go around indiscriminately killing every animal I see so I can keep the old guy at the camp stocked up on supplies and have plenty left for the stew pot, a stockpile of cooked meat for the road and a few stacks of meat to sell to the butcher for Liquor money.... 

4 hours ago, Madrigalian said:

I felt the same way once I started playing RDO.  I'm surprised that mechanic didn't transfer over as I had used it numerous times in the campaign.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Naw....  Nothing to do with culture.  Just that I'm not going to belittle my wife like that. She doesn't like scary movies and we may joke around about it but I'm not going to be patronizing.  She knows it's not real but certain ones can make her feel really uncomfortable for certain reasons.  I just don't watch those when she's around.

That sucks.  I like some animals too but partly because I think they're tasty.  ;) That would be a bridge too far for me.  Sorry you didn't see that incompatibility before it happened.  

I don't mean to patronise just explain or rather if she doesn't like it that's fine as long she doesn't mind it Because sometimes we need to do things we don't like sometimes is all I mean no offence to the women unless their feminists then I'll enjoying causing offence

2 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Just like to remind folks to keep the discussion civil.  This doesn't need to turn insulting and posts that do will be removed.  Thanks.

Just sayin, Harlock started it thank you for finishing it I expect they will receive the same treatment yes?

2 hours ago, Seikyo Bushi said:

Just sayin, Harlock started it thank you for finishing it I expect they will receive the same treatment yes?

Well, I was trying to be diplomatic in my reply but since you asked.....

What she wrote didn't deserve to what amounted to being termed a "B" IMO so I removed that one post of yours.  I also considered the context and perhaps your particular sensitivity to the "mansplaining" label, etc. which is why I tried to diffuse it by asking everyone to move on.  .....no warnings, etc. 

Clear enough, yes?

• Haha 1

Woah! I missed being called a bad name!

No problem here, and no intention to cause offence.  Clearly my 😜 was not enough to flag that up.

Just for the record, I am male, despite my female avatar - I made her as a "challenge accepted" on day 1 of the beta when lots of people were saying that it was impossible to make a half-way decent looking female character, and grew attached, especially when it turned out that I would lose all my stuff if I restarted.

I am a feminist, though, if that causes any problems.  You kinda have to be if you've seen the sorts of shenanigans I've seen (I work in employment law) and have a daughter.

Kean, apologies if I've brought disharmony to the board - never meant to.