A month to the day

So my son bought me RDR2 for Xmas & I started playing SP Campaign on Boxing Day - put 150 hours into Arthur's tale, laughed, raged, cried [yeah I'm not ashamed to admit that] & also 1 of my horses died - well 2 technically thanx to crap parking & an oncoming train ;)

Then I put almost 25 hours into John's endgame, did his quests, visited the gravesites & took some pix then did Homestead Simulator 1.0 for a few hours so capped out the SP at somewhere around 175 hours.

Decided it was then time to start RDR:O & binged played the whole of last weekend - starting on Saturday 19th - spent a few hours each day after work last week & plumped for £20 worth of Gold Bars to get "Jim Deacon" looking like the Cowpoke I had in my mind [spent it all in 1 shopping extravaganza in my homage to Lee Van Cleef] - spent my gametime doing the story missions upto the 1st few Gunslinger missions & the rest of the time between missions doing hunting & daily challenges, started the Collector path yesterday with a good 8 hour game session & all in all I have had very few complaints, the odd disconnect [crash] & occasionally travelling to a Stranger to be told "nothing available" but all in all a very enjoyable [& profitable] experience so far [made almost 15 GB from missions & until I bought a saddle I had hit $1000 last night - then spent it down to about $400 buying the saddle]

So a month to the day, that's today Sunday 26th January & I am at the point of having to put it all away as the crashes I have encountered today have been unbelieveable - I started "playing" around 08.00 this morning [was up early] stopped about 11.30 to do some RL shopping - came back about 12.30 & eventually gave up about 16.00 - crashes OMG like every 10 minutes with no obvious trigger - so many wasted pelts today - I would say on average crashing every 10 - 15 minutes of gameplay with the occasional failure to even re-connect after a full closedown & reboot of Steam, I've even had to give up joining Story missions as the 1st 1 crashed as we were riding back to Manzanita [I think 1 of the team must have filed against me as when I reconnected it gave me a "Griefing" penalty & kept me in offensive mode until some kind player executed me from somewhere with a Carcano rifle] - yet that was the only gameplay I had had so far & from then on it just got worse - totally unplayable - really disappointed as I had been loving it so far & have put in almost 45 hours online play - had to give up on Daily Challenges for looting enemies, as that's usually no problem for me, although I did eventually manage to pick Mushrooms, pluck Vultures [it lost 2 though so technically I had to do 5] & visit 2 shops   ;)

TL:DR - TOTALLY unplayable today due to disconnects/crashing every 10 minutes - attempted to play for over 6 hours [45 hours on the clock - 175 hours on the SP clock]

1 hour ago, Sigill MacFinn said:

So my son bought me RDR2.....

i undertand you are mad about disconnection but just saying ive been on since 8am and i didnt disconnect 1 time , did trader delivery , moonshinern delivery , resupply , pvp , posse fight for 1-2 hour , few bounty hunter , nobody in my posse crashed once , the problem may be on your side.

hi @pluck3 

many thanx for taking the time to reply to my general whinge about todays' hugely frustrating attempts to play :)

I had considered it would be "at my end" as an internet search hadn't really brought up much in the way of many other people suffering as I have today but the wife did report that facebook is quite busy with people having suffered inordinately over the last 4 days [did they roll an update out about that time?]

So of course I've done system re-starts & run a few general checks on my system & have also put a few hours into other games [Division2, Neverwinter & Fallout76] & haven't had anything "odd" occur with those - it's mainly because the game has been soooo stable for me for the last 45 hours that today was so frustrating & it would be a real shame if it continued this way as the game is amazing [& has weaned me off almost 400 days on Fallout76!!]

Just needed to get it out I suppose as it really has ruined my day & my gametime for today  :(

Edited by Sigill MacFinn
grammar & spelling

I Play on PS4 and it's the same thing here my friend has shitty ISP 

I had too but found better options no disconnects now since December 2018 

In my case it was ISP and I don't believe that Rockstar would want their money spenders I mean us players not be able to play it though I must admit it's only GTA and red that are so demanding when it comes to stable internet connection and I don't mean the speed because today I was playing four hours but it was only solo lobby no other players and during those four hours on solo lobby data usage was less than 250 MB !!!! While average on populated lobbies it's around 200 MB /hour

I had a major problem with constant disconnects when I switch from my ISP's(Comcast) provided modem/router to a privately owned modem/router combo.  It wasn't until I switched again, this time to a privately owned modem and router that were separate from one another, that my disconnect issues cleared up. I chose to spend a little more money on a more powerful router meant for gaming to be on the safe side and I haven't regretted that decision. Now disconnects are rare and when I do get them, it's a different error code than before and I know it's  not me.

14 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

I had a major problem with constant disconnects when I switch from my ISP's(Comcast) provided modem/router to a privately owned modem/router combo.  It wasn't until I switched again, this time to a privately owned modem and router that were separate from one another, that my disconnect issues cleared up. I chose to spend a little more money on a more powerful router meant for gaming to be on the safe side and I haven't regretted that decision. Now disconnects are rare and when I do get them, it's a different error code than before and I know it's  not me.

I can totally agree with the previous 2 posters. I think rockstar takes the hit for things that are beyond their control. I dont mean to absolve them from any of the problems, but at the same time, once a packet is sent from rockstars server, there are a few switches in between that have to be made. I am far from an expert on all things internet, but I suffer few of the problems that are reported on this forum. When I do have a problem, I can generally narrow it down to one switch (Comcast) as being the culprit because I have same problems across the board with their service. (streaming, internet, etc.)

Many of my problems with my isp have been cleared up over years by dumping their modems and routers and upgrading to my own. All I expect from them is a functioning line from the pole to my house. I can pretty much set my watch to when problems will happen and work around them when they do. Unless a wire is hanging down, disconnected from the pole, will anyone admit that the problem is on their end. Add in another money collector, PSN+, and you have yet another entity to point fingers at.

I am about ready to dump this game not because of the game itself but because I have never really been a fan of online versions of games. I cant really blame Rstar for that since I have played it since release. It's mostly because of the $10 a month sent to Sony just to play the game. The original game didnt {and still doesnt) include Sony dipping their hands in my wallet. Rockstars failure to provide any really new innovations in gameplay is really the only thing I can fault them for and I expect them to hold back for a new platform and a new version of the game. I will be first in line for that.

17 minutes ago, buttlint said:

I am about ready to dump this game not because of the game itself but because I have never really been a fan of online versions of games. I cant really blame Rstar for that since I have played it since release. It's mostly because of the $10 a month sent to Sony just to play the game. The original game didnt {and still doesnt) include Sony dipping their hands in my wallet. Rockstars failure to provide any really new innovations in gameplay is really the only thing I can fault them for and I expect them to hold back for a new platform and a new version of the game. I will be first in line for that.

You could slash that PSN subscription in half with a yearly subscription and even more if you take advantage of the holiday prices and renew then instead.  ......usually $45 vs. the normal $60 ($3.75/mo vs. $5).

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

You could slash that PSN subscription in half with a yearly subscription and even more if you take advantage of the holiday prices and renew then instead.  ......usually $45 vs. the normal $60 ($3.75/mo vs. $5).

Thanks and I do appreciate that. I did the 2 week freebie just to play this particular game. I extended that to continue and see what would shake down and if anything worthwhile would show up that would interest me. I am an old, and I really dont have much "twitch" left in my game. So posses' are out and I am relegated to picking flowers, looking for old junk and canasta or poker with  people that have an attention span of 3 minutes. I played the original game until the disc wore out and played this version to the max, both inside and outside of the map. I have been up and down the road between Armadillo and McFarlands ranch more times than I have been on the road between my house and the beer store on the corner.

I have no problem with the game. I dont p!ss and moan about the game because I havent had the problems that others have had but I fully understand their frustrations. The story mode would keep me playing for way to many hours per session because there was a compelling story behind it. The only reason I log on now is to keep the streak alive. Today I caught my 5 fish on breadcrumbs to fulfill my obligation. In return I got 50 cents worth of gold to purchase a t-shirt that says "BFD". I sold the fish to the butcher to pay for some more maps that lead to the sos that I already have 10 of. Cripps seems to be more into the cat houses of St. Denis than he is in camp. If Rockstar really wanted motivate me to play, let me use all that gold I collect and pay my PSN bill. Making large numbers appear in the top right corner of my screen doesnt do it for me. I can play Tetris to do that. Buying assless chaps to dance in a moonshine joint doesnt do it either. If they would  introduce some innovative changes, besides more kill and kollect games, which many have suggested, I would cough up the cash. 

I dont mean to foment rebellion or walk out in indignation and protest. What I am trying to say is that Rockstar isnt the first and only place to look when having problems. It is just one place to look for answers. I also think that Rockstar blew its wad with this game. I think that they may have maxed out what these platforms can handle. (xbox and ps4) I also think that they are maybe trying push to much data thru the pipe. Home networks start to strain under the demands of streaming televisions, phones, security, etc. Just today, my wife hit the button on the garage door opener and my tv changed channels. Now whether that had anything to with anything or a mere coincidence, I have no idea. 

Please forgive me for all of the words above. I have no intent to pull this off topic. But when a question of $10 a month comes up to an old guy, old guys' DNA rears its ugly head and says, "Waiter! This soup is cold!"😶

Hi everyone & thanx for sharing your experiences & helping me chillax after yesterdays fraught day of wasted hours!

So to report, today I've managed about 3 1/2 hours play after work & guess what? That's right, not ONE disconnect all the time - I was able to get back into my hunt/challenge/join mission cycle & had another blast playing!

So we'll see how things go from here on :)

Thanx again :)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Sigill MacFinn said:

Hi everyone & thanx for sharing your experiences & helping me chillax after yesterdays fraught day of wasted hours!

So to report, today I've managed about 3 1/2 hours play after work & guess what? That's right, not ONE disconnect all the time - I was able to get back into my hunt/challenge/join mission cycle & had another blast playing!

So we'll see how things go from here on :)

Thanx again :)

Glad to hear it.  

19 hours ago, buttlint said:

Please forgive me for all of the words above. I have no intent to pull this off topic. But when a question of $10 a month comes up to an old guy, old guys' DNA rears its ugly head and says, "Waiter! This soup is cold!"😶

I get it....  I'm semi-retired myself so I really have no wish to spend money on monthly subscriptions I simply don't get enough value out of.  ....that's why I mentioned the ~$3.75 holiday price as that may have brought it into a range you felt was worthwhile.

Judging by your specific interests in the game and your wish to not interact with others online, I'd probably feel the same way about it.

btw, I'm over 50 and not into twitch shooters myself but I do still enjoy playing co-op games with others and some online PvEvP games like RDO.  I don't have a lot of PSN friends (by choice), but those that I do are typically older like myself.  I enjoy games where I can take my time, plan things out, move tactically, etc.  

I feel the PSN subscription is worth it for me but I get a lot more use out of it.  Hell, I was even renting a DayZ server until I cancelled it recently and I was never into that sort of thing before.  I turned my DayZ buddy on to the Forest so now I'm re-exploring that game with him instead while Bohemia Interactive works on their bugs.    I still play GTAO alone and with friends at times.  .....although in invite-only sessions and for heists, missions, etc.  I also dabble in other games including some of the freebies that come with the PS+ subscription every month. 

I was never big on online interaction with random players but I have made a few good friends over the years through the network.  .....friends that still stick around and enjoy new games together, etc.  

• Like 1

I know with my internet provider, I have had more issues with connection on console vs PC. I got to the point where I had to have my console wire connected at all times. The wifi was jut not reliable enough. Any slight drop, not even a bad one, and I would get booted. 

On 1/26/2020 at 2:01 PM, Sigill MacFinn said:

TL:DR - TOTALLY unplayable today due to disconnects/crashing every 10 minutes - attempted to play for over 6 hours [45 hours on the clock - 175 hours on the SP clock]

Not sure if you know this.

But this game doesn't have dedicated servers and it uses P2P connection.   So if you don't have OPEN nat settings OR other players near you don't have open NAT.    You can get disconnected.

Thing is a lot of players don't understand this.  And they don't care. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Not sure if you know this.

But this game doesn't have dedicated servers and it uses P2P connection.   So if you don't have OPEN nat settings OR other players near you don't have open NAT.    You can get disconnected.

Thing is a lot of players don't understand this.  And they don't care. 

This the case on PC and console both? It doesn't seem to happen to me all that often on PC but it seemed to happen a lot more on console when I played there.