Change My Mind

cowpoke

Spoiler

Interestingly I was thinking about RDR2 in the shower this morning..... Which I'll come to after some important 'to the point' I am making, background

Myself I am in my late 50's and retired from ill health... My working life was, err, not normal shall we say and I have never been employed in my life. I have never worked 9-5, never had an actual boss.

If you cowpoke find the game an 8.5 then that is what you find it, in the nicest possible way, because we all play our own game..... My game is not your game indeed my game is in reality unique like everyone else's.

For me RDR2 has become a metaphor for my life (disclaimer: I claim no real life illegal activity in any form whatsoever) .... In RDR2 Arthur is a debt collector extraordinaire, as was I myself for some years .... In my RDR2 game up to until Arthur is diagnosed with TB, (I have severe RA) he killed everything that moved in human form  - one word, one look, I just felt like it .... gone.  Not animals, I have always been very careful for and of animals, they don't know what they do per se.... So they get cut vast slack in my world. and consequently Arthur's.

Then with illness he has an epiphany of sorts, enabled by the game if you make those choices  ... Not because he is ill in my belief, rather because being ill slows him down and that allows him time to question what he does and why ... Oh I've been there and done that big style in my real life.

Myself I have lived a very varied life, indeed, incredibly varied..... Like Dr Ian Malcolm when asked if he was married, I could truthfully answer for decades  "Occasionally. Yeah, I'm always on the lookout for a future ex-Mrs. ......... ".  But in later life one stuck and is she is amazing. My wife even came with children which I helped with... people I know fainted ......  The number of times I have nearly 'bought it' in my life journey has also been a great many,.... The amount of money I have both earnt and spent is also a very great deal.

So what I was thinking was, in the shower, I wonder how people of 20 or 30 view this game? I wonder what the bloke who works in McDonalds makes of it? What do they see? What do they think? Does gender make a difference in outlook? (My wife is a Dr of Psychology; I have learnt to ask questions!). Why do you cowpoke for example think it is an 8.5? Rather than a 10 or a 5? ..... I'm genuinely interested

As for myself  the story mode is stunning imo... the rendering of horses, people and scenery incfredible. The repeating rifles seem pretty weak, whilst the shotguns are great and my weapon of choice. There is something about the gun-clothing-stuff round menu and also the wardrobe menu which I find all a bit clunky and not so great. But generally, amazing... 9.5 of 10, because nothing is ever perfect is it.

If the on-line experience is as good it will in all ways be simply an incredible experience .....

PS .....  Anyone who has an issue with anything I have said, then please... feel free... When I started debt collecting at 17 yr old a guy tried to blow my head off with a shotgun and damn near did ..... Since then, I really don't care what people think of me ..... oddly enough.

• Like 3

Why do you need someone to change your mind?   .......and why the massive font?

You're either confident in your assessment or not.  Doesn't matter what the rest of us think.  Ratings are mostly subjective anyway based on our own expectations, experiences, likes and dislikes.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mazier_Drave said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Interestingly I was thinking about RDR2 in the shower this morning..... Which I'll come to after some important 'to the point' I am making, background

Myself I am in my late 50's and retired from ill health... My working life was, err, not normal shall we say and I have never been employed in my life. I have never worked 9-5, never had an actual boss.

If you cowpoke find the game an 8.5 then that is what you find it, in the nicest possible way, because we all play our own game..... My game is not your game indeed my game is in reality unique like everyone else's.

For me RDR2 has become a metaphor for my life (disclaimer: I claim no real life illegal activity in any form whatsoever) .... In RDR2 Arthur is a debt collector extraordinaire, as was I myself for some years .... In my RDR2 game up to until Arthur is diagnosed with TB, (I have severe RA) he killed everything that moved in human form  - one word, one look, I just felt like it .... gone.  Not animals, I have always been very careful for and of animals, they don't know what they do per se.... So they get cut vast slack in my world. and consequently Arthur's.

Then with illness he has an epiphany of sorts, enabled by the game if you make those choices  ... Not because he is ill in my belief, rather because being ill slows him down and that allows him time to question what he does and why ... Oh I've been there and done that big style in my real life.

Myself I have lived a very varied life, indeed, incredibly varied..... Like Dr Ian Malcolm when asked if he was married, I could truthfully answer for decades  "Occasionally. Yeah, I'm always on the lookout for a future ex-Mrs. ......... ".  But in later life one stuck and is she is amazing. My wife even came with children which I helped with... people I know fainted ......  The number of times I have nearly 'bought it' in my life journey has also been a great many,.... The amount of money I have both earnt and spent is also a very great deal.

So what I was thinking was, in the shower, I wonder how people of 20 or 30 view this game? I wonder what the bloke who works in McDonalds makes of it? What do they see? What do they think? Does gender make a difference in outlook? (My wife is a Dr of Psychology; I have learnt to ask questions!). Why do you cowpoke for example think it is an 8.5? Rather than a 10 or a 5? ..... I'm genuinely interested

As for myself  the story mode is stunning imo... the rendering of horses, people and scenery incfredible. The repeating rifles seem pretty weak, whilst the shotguns are great and my weapon of choice. There is something about the gun-clothing-stuff round menu and also the wardrobe menu which I find all a bit clunky and not so great. But generally, amazing... 9.5 of 10, because nothing is ever perfect is it.

If the on-line experience is as good it will in all ways be simply an incredible experience .....

PS .....  Anyone who has an issue with anything I have said, then please... feel free... When I started debt collecting at 17 yr old a guy tried to blow my head off with a shotgun and damn near did ..... Since then, I really don't care what people think of me ..... oddly enough.

I agree with this and I am very moved by your experiences. I myself is “only” 36 but I have lived a quite hard life, at least when I was younger. Three of my friends from my childhood has died in one way or the other and my father was and is a full blown alcoholic and his anger was taken out on me when I was younger. 

So I agree that of course our personal experiences gives us the glasses through which we view the world and of course also stories and games like RDR2. We as humans want to feel connections to what we see and experiences. So it is natural that you , I and everybody else judge a game or a movie based on our personal experiences. And if the story we plays through or watches in a movie has any similarities to our own life, then we feel even more engaged in the characters. 

So my experiences are quite similar as yours as my life was way bad when I was younger and now I am really in a happy place with my wife and our two children. I could not be a happier man but playing through tragic and sometimes morally ambivalent stories, even if it makes us remember bad things from our lives it can still be part of the journey that makes the experience even better. I love this game and to me it is way more than simple entertainment, not many games have had this effect on me. 

On 11/23/2018 at 4:48 AM, Mazier_Drave said:

Interestingly I was thinking about RDR2 in the shower this morning

I refuse to read on from there...

On 11/24/2018 at 2:23 PM, elmZ said:

I GIVE THIS THREAD A 2.3/10... CHANGE MY MIND.

It deserves no more than a 2.0

• Haha 1

Truth quoted myself  "Interestingly I was thinking about RDR2 in the shower this morning"

Truth says "I refuse to read on from there..."

It is  for sure not a free world but people are quite welcome to think (or not think) what they like. That is also a constupration of reality of course but it is the accepted social line so we'll go with it.

This the great challenge of the internet IMO, dealing with the thoughts of people one would never even meet in real life... No matter where one resides on the socio-economic or educational ladder you have to deal with thoughts which are quite ridiculous to you ...... It appears for Truth is not dealing with thoughts, as I assume is his wont ... Rather Truth prefers taking up a sniping position and a monosyllabic approach, for whatever reason that may be. Maybe he is going for some sort of sardonic humour to make him appear interesting, witty and superior. To what I am not quite sure but maybe it makes sense to him.

One cannot help but note that Truth it appears at this juncture has made some 749 posts on this forum, which for a game that has been out for little more than a month is .... impressive?

However with that taken into regard, one can see how thinking would be a complete anathema to such a fellow .... So to be helpful I strongly recommend that Truth and his ilk never read anything I post... because they'll  just find it difficult.

• Haha 1