Hunting Cougars

Diss

To spin the game out longer I've been doing a lot of hunting tasks and really enjoyed the journey on acquiring the legend of the east satchel which massively improves satchel space. The last part of this  task involves getting a perfect cougar pelt which turned out to be a bit of a pain for me.

If you're hunting cougars head for the location on this part of the map. When you get there don't go to the illustration of the cougar  on the map,  or start meandering around in the woods,  but keep travelling back and forth alongside the path at the side of the river.  If you don't find one after a few attempts set up camp  and try again. At first I hitched my horse and did this on foot and for some reason didn't encounter any cougars at all, so do this on your horse to increase your chances of finding one. If you've not encountered a cougar before they hit hard and fast,  giving little notice of their presence or time to react to it. The good news is that their attack style is usually jumping at you in attempt to rip off your face, running off and coming straight back for another go at you. This gives you time ready your weapon and dead eye that beast. I found that there were more opportunities to find them in the mornings too. Finally, I personally didn't bother with predator bait which I find to be pretty ineffective in all circumstances.

640px-181203_RDR2_Hunting_Cougar2_Loc_copy.png

Edited by Diss
  • Like 2

Good points.

I'd like to add though that I've seen far more cougars in the northeast coenwr of the map ( north and west of Annesburg ). But I agree that predator bait and hiding is pointless while hunting cougars.

THEY HUNT YOU!

So no cover scent lotion.

• Like 3

To complete the master Hunter challenge you need to kill 5 cougars with the bow. Use an improved arrow , aim for a head shot (which is easy because theyre usually coming straight at you)  and you should end up with 2 or 3 perfect pelts.

Theyre are cougars in the North east in the Roanoke Valley. They spawn at the same rate, make a few train trips between Annesburg and Wallace Station to keep things fresh

and stay on your horse (hes the best bait) until the red predator dot appears, then quickly hop off and go into tracking mode, you should see one stalking you preparing to pounce. I've never seen a cougar not attack once that dot appears.

Edited by Hammer

I've found 2 spots where a cougar will spawn almost  every night.  First one is just south of the cougar on the map @Diss has in the OP, when the road turns away from the creek and you get to the first little hill on the east of the road.  I got my 5 cougars there for the hunting challenge.  Ride around that spot, if there's bears or wolves nearby the cougar won't show.  Kill those predators, leave the area and return for the cougar.

Then i found there's another great spot in Roanoke Valley,  where the road crosses the creek at the Legendary Moose area.  There's a cougar on the west side of the creek almost every night.  Ride in from the east on the road.  Last time i got him there he ran down the tracks toward me, so I was able to study him then to finish that animal.  All the other times they've ambushed me so i couldn't study them.

I was hunting the Legendary cougar and the trail led into some bushes - he mauled me so fast I had no chance. Next time it led to a large rock and he silently came out from behind it but I saw him and blasted him. Yes! I find cougars to be tough to hunt.

On 12/8/2018 at 5:24 PM, VampireKrush said:

Cougars seem to be the biggest pains in the ass for me. I am the one hunting them yet I always get ambushed. I don't know if I have a sign on my back that says "PLEASE EAT" or what. 

🤣

That's what happens to me, all but twice I've had to get my cougar skins when they ambush me (and they've killed me far more than i've killed them).  The only 2 i've gotten that weren't ambush attacks were up north by the Legendary Moose.  For some reason they like to run along the tracks to get to you on the other side of the river, guess they don't like getting wet :P

On 12/5/2018 at 6:25 AM, Diss said:

Finally, I personally didn't bother with predator bait which I find to be pretty ineffective in all circumstances.

The only thing I've bothered with bait for was the panther. Everything else was fairly easy to kill.

I posted Panther hunting tips here:

Edit: Good luck on your hunt! That satchel is awesome to have and fun to get. Took me a LOOONNGGG time, but it was worth it.

Edited by Truth

1 hour ago, Firestormfan89 said:

I find poison arrows work best at getting a perfect cougar pelt. But you guys have nailed down most of the best places to find them.

I always have trouble with timing the bow in dead eye. Rifle is basically a guaranteed headshot though.

• 1 month later...

I’ve actually found cougars sitting up on higher ground than the roads in the Roanoak area and out past strawberry. Not in the marker on the map but close by. Roanoak for example has a lot of turkeys, it’s almost like the cougars watch the small game and then attack you when spotted. I used cover sent and went out on foot in the evening and took my time hunting and watching my every move (really into it) and eagle eye about every 30 seconds and almost every time I’ve found them tracking/stalking smaller game or sitting on logs. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 4:16 PM, Presturn said:

I’ve actually found cougars sitting up on higher ground than the roads in the Roanoak area and out past strawberry. Not in the marker on the map but close by. Roanoak for example has a lot of turkeys, it’s almost like the cougars watch the small game and then attack you when spotted. I used cover sent and went out on foot in the evening and took my time hunting and watching my every move (really into it) and eagle eye about every 30 seconds and almost every time I’ve found them tracking/stalking smaller game or sitting on logs. 

This is the first time I am hearing about this. Anytime I was hunting them I would go to the points suggested on the map but I am going to have to check these areas out.

I just camped by the side of the lake, slept until night and cantered my trusty steed northwards along the path. 

You don’t need to stop and search, just ride until you get attacked and then kill your cougar before it’s second attack. Dead-eye and an improved arrow to the face should give you a perfect pelt.