Back in September 2013...

MajorPain

I would call you crazy yet here we are... Just goes to show how much money GTA Online is making I guess. For a games maker they are not that fussed about launching new games... Operating expenses over those 4 years must be a ton.

You have to consider that games are not what they used to be too. Releasing a GTA game every other year would be insane. They now have to make games that are on the same level as computer games and also make them run perfectly so the consoles can handle them. The longer a game takes to make, the more hours you need to have paid out to the people who are making it. So yeah, it has to be very expensive. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 7:37 PM, CowBoii said:

You have to consider that games are not what they used to be too. Releasing a GTA game every other year would be insane. They now have to make games that are on the same level as computer games and also make them run perfectly so the consoles can handle them. The longer a game takes to make, the more hours you need to have paid out to the people who are making it. So yeah, it has to be very expensive. 

While slightly off topic I just had to say I agree with what you said. 

More on topic, I would have felt mad/pissed. I don't like waiting long for another game but that is my spoon fed brain that wants everything fast and easy. 

Rockstar Games Release History

• 2004 - GTA San Andreas
  • 2005 - The Warriors
  • 2006 - Bully and Table Tennis
  • 2007 - Manhunt 2
  • 2008 - GTA IV
  • 2009 - GTA Chinatown Wars
  • 2010 - Red Dead Redemption
  • 2011 - L.A. Noire
  • 2012 - Max Payne 3
  • 2013 - GTA V
  • 2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2

Spot the difference

• Like 3

On 7/6/2017 at 4:35 PM, lonestar said:

Rockstar Games Release History

• 2004 - GTA San Andreas
  • 2005 - The Warriors
  • 2006 - Bully and Table Tennis
  • 2007 - Manhunt 2
  • 2008 - GTA IV
  • 2009 - GTA Chinatown Wars
  • 2010 - Red Dead Redemption
  • 2011 - L.A. Noire
  • 2012 - Max Payne 3
  • 2013 - GTA V
  • 2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2

Spot the difference

I was actually going to ask if someone knew the release years and wow... That says it all right there. GTA V basically made them set to be able to focus on other projects which is all the more reason I have HIGH hopes for RDR2. I think this will be their best game yet.

On 7/3/2017 at 6:38 PM, MajorPain said:

As a Rockstar Games fan, if someone said to you that it would be more than 4 years until they released a new game, how would you feel?

Pissed. I honestly thought they were done since John died. I had not even considered a new game coming out for RDR ever again or at least not for a long time. I thought they were just going to do another GTA game. I didn't really think about it until now and I am glad I didn't lol

I think it may only get worse, considering how much more complex and demanding game production has become.  But I'd rather receive a polished and high-quality product than a half-ass money grab on a shareholder's deadline. ;)

Speaking of which, I do hope R* picks up the LA Noire franchise for another.  I know Team Bondi was developing 'The Whore of the Orient', but now that that's dead, it may be a good opportunity for R* to continue with it.  Whore of the Orient was supposed to be the spiritual successor to Noire.  I'm not sure who owns the rights to LA Noire, though.  I believe R* still does.

6 hours ago, X S said:

Speaking of which, I do hope R* picks up the LA Noire franchise for another.

Yes please! I would love a second game.

Does make me wonder what games they have in development and what sort of release periods they have for each. Bully 2, L.A. Noire 2, GTA VI, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad they are slowing down. I think they are realizing there is more money to be made in a single well made game than to pump and dump one out every year. As for the OP question, no I would not have thought it would be this long of a wait but GTA V did so well, I hardly even noticed. Hats off to them.

I assumed that GTA V would be a game they road out for at least 2 years but I didn't think it would be nearly 5 years till another release. 

I think this is something they will continue to do as well. Maybe have a game come out every 2 -3 years. 

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like technology for games is moving a lot faster these days so they have to actually take time and consider a game lasting for more than a few months of play. The more options of there the more you have to fight for your place in someone's console. I would not have thought it would be this long back then but I am kind of glad it has been. Just means RDR2 will be EPIC!