What you wish someone would have told you ...

Poggy

Most here have probably played a fair chunk of online now, and maybe have learned stuff they wish they could have been told when they first started.  What tips would you pass on to new players?

My top ten:

1)  Getting the UE bonuses is a really big boost in a game so grindy: having a nice horse, varmint rifle, shotty and level boost from the start is fantastically beneficial.  If you plan to spend some time online and can afford the UE do so.

2) Take your time in character creation and watch youtube tutorials beforehand - it's not easy to get exactly what you want and some options are easily missed.  And don't be generic - many players have barely distinguishable characters.  Be different.

3) Complete the main story missions as a first priority.  You will do 75%.  Then to do the remaining missions you have to either drop/raise your honour level accordingly.  There is no benefit to having high/low honour besides the buckle, so you might as well go max/min all the way to get them (and the small reward).

4) Things that are important to purchase as soon as you can are: varmint rifle; some type of shotgun; good horse; fishing rod; river lure; improved rifle (either Lancaster Repeater or Bolt Action); horse insurance; gun upgrades.  Useful but not essential are: bow; improved horse tack; cold weather clothing; off-hand holster.  Things to regularly carry are: ammo, horse reviver, hay for horse, tonics, cooked meat in satchel, ginseng, chewing tobacco or similar, gun oil.  Eat only food cooked/found and clean your own weapons, manage your own horse.  Buying food, horse servicing, and getting guns cleaned are rip-offs.

5) If you plan on playing with mates regularly and plan on having a permanent posse, then it is better to invest in one sooner rather than later, make yourself the leader and reform whenever you play.  

6) Play around with all the various settings right at the start.  I strongly suggest muting chat and locking your horse to posse only.

7) Trolls exist.  When joining a session crouch to get off radar, check the map.  Avoid areas with multiple pink dots, especially ones with posse leaders.  Some areas, especially Valentine & Blackwater are notorious for getting griefed, especially near butchers.  Avoid other players as much as possible, taking detours if necessary.  If you die you lose carcasses and pelts on horse; if horse dies, select heal option in menu to get them back.  Be very careful how you approach butcher, esp when loaded - best to ride further to a quieter town if needed.

8 Overbuy ammo from catalogue (not in gunsmiths) and keep supplies available to pick up from any post office to restock.

9) PvP Series Matches are often quite brutally hard.  Best weapons are: Varmint rifle (head shot kills); shotty; bolt action.  A suggested load out to cover all ranges is: dual wield sawn offs + varmint + bolt action.

10) The grind is real, and unless you are able to sit doing one activity over an over, it is suggested that a varied approach to grinding works well.  Construct a route on your map that starts off with a stranger mission (xp), then ensure you do fishing (best money source + health rank up); hunting (bird hunting is good money, game for meat for cooking, plus xp); herb collection (sell at doctor); shack ransacking (good for consumables like tonics and gun oil); and gang hideout clearance (xp + consumables + chance at treasure map), making sure you end with access to butcher, doctor and ammo supplies.

• Like 3

Oh, and

11) You can reset challenges you've got the gold buckle for, and doing so is worth a little gold.  Some challenges, like the herb/meat selling, are likely to be reset fairly often, so form an extra xp/gold grind stream.

That's cool, but in my opinion is somewhat of an over-reaction.  YMMV, of course.

I've played many hours online and only been trolled a dozen or so times.  It happens maybe once every three hours of game time, less if you take precautions.  If you don't let it get to you then it hardly matters. 

It'd be a shame to let bullies force you off the playground.

That's a fine list you've done mister. I'm usually just wandering around the map getting killed by other players (have encountered some decent ones also) and playing the story missions over and over again. I tried doing the stranger missions, but they were broken for me as I couldn't start them after the first cut scene with the quest giver. Sent R* a ticket and got a response that they are aware of that problem with stranger missions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poggy said:

Most here have probably played a fair chunk of online now, and maybe have learned stuff they wish they could have been told when they first started.  What tips would you pass on to new players?

My top ten:

1)  Getting the UE bonuses is a really big boost in a game so grindy: having a nice horse, varmint rifle, shotty and level boost from the start is fantastically beneficial.  If you plan to spend some time online and can afford the UE do so.

2) Take your time in character creation and watch youtube tutorials beforehand - it's not easy to get exactly what you want and some options are easily missed.  And don't be generic - many players have barely distinguishable characters.  Be different.

3) Complete the main story missions as a first priority.  You will do 75%.  Then to do the remaining missions you have to either drop/raise your honour level accordingly.  There is no benefit to having high/low honour besides the buckle, so you might as well go max/min all the way to get them (and the small reward).

4) Things that are important to purchase as soon as you can are: varmint rifle; some type of shotgun; good horse; fishing rod; river lure; improved rifle (either Lancaster Repeater or Bolt Action); horse insurance; gun upgrades.  Useful but not essential are: bow; improved horse tack; cold weather clothing; off-hand holster.  Things to regularly carry are: ammo, horse reviver, hay for horse, tonics, cooked meat in satchel, ginseng, chewing tobacco or similar, gun oil.  Eat only food cooked/found and clean your own weapons, manage your own horse.  Buying food, horse servicing, and getting guns cleaned are rip-offs.

5) If you plan on playing with mates regularly and plan on having a permanent posse, then it is better to invest in one sooner rather than later, make yourself the leader and reform whenever you play.  

6) Play around with all the various settings right at the start.  I strongly suggest muting chat and locking your horse to posse only.

7) Trolls exist.  When joining a session crouch to get off radar, check the map.  Avoid areas with multiple pink dots, especially ones with posse leaders.  Some areas, especially Valentine & Blackwater are notorious for getting griefed, especially near butchers.  Avoid other players as much as possible, taking detours if necessary.  If you die you lose carcasses and pelts on horse; if horse dies, select heal option in menu to get them back.  Be very careful how you approach butcher, esp when loaded - best to ride further to a quieter town if needed.

8 Overbuy ammo from catalogue (not in gunsmiths) and keep supplies available to pick up from any post office to restock.

9) PvP Series Matches are often quite brutally hard.  Best weapons are: Varmint rifle (head shot kills); shotty; bolt action.  A suggested load out to cover all ranges is: dual wield sawn offs + varmint + bolt action.

10) The grind is real, and unless you are able to sit doing one activity over an over, it is suggested that a varied approach to grinding works well.  Construct a route on your map that starts off with a stranger mission (xp), then ensure you do fishing (best money source + health rank up); hunting (bird hunting is good money, game for meat for cooking, plus xp); herb collection (sell at doctor); shack ransacking (good for consumables like tonics and gun oil); and gang hideout clearance (xp + consumables + chance at treasure map), making sure you end with access to butcher, doctor and ammo supplies.

12. When you do get griefed/trolled especially if it causes you to lose pelts don't just leave the session report that SOB. its against the code of conduct to grief so if you know what a griefer is you can serve up some justice!

Ps4 may be different.

Edited by Unknown1598

57 minutes ago, Unknown1598 said:

12. When you do get griefed/trolled especially if it causes you to lose pelts don't just leave the session report that SOB. its against the code of conduct to grief so if you know what a griefer is you can serve up some justice!

Ps4 may be different.

On Xbox, that really depends on the game.  If Griefing is accepted by the game, then Microsoft most likely won't say a word.  They will tell you to contact Rockstar and Rockstar will most likely tell you to contact Microsoft.  I know players that ran into that with the Division.  Both parties just pushed it off onto the other and did nothing, cuase they didn't want to step on the toes of the other.

Best thing you can do is go in and block that player and hope that you don't encounter them again.

Edited by YodaMan 3D
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

On Xbox, that really depends on the game.  If Griefing is accepted by the game, then Microsoft most likely won't say a word.  They will tell you to contact Rockstar and Rockstar will most likely tell you to contact Microsoft.  I know players that ran into that with the Division.  Both parties just pushed it off onto the other and did nothing, cuase they didn't ant to step on the toes of the other.

Rockstar definitely doesn't allow griefing because you can report players directly to rockstar on rdr 2.

Btw why would any game allow griefing?

A griefer is a player who deliberately irritates and harasses another online player

Edited by Unknown1598

Just now, Unknown1598 said:

Rockstar definitely doesn't allow griefing because you can report players directly to rockstar on rdr 2.

They said they didn't allow it in GTA Online, yet did nothing to stop it.  If anything they kept making it worse by adding crazier and more powerful weapons and vehicles of mass destruction  to those who liked to grief.

As of right now I haven't seen or heard of anyone being punished by Rockstar for anything.  They are still working on getting the game upto full speed.

1 minute ago, YodaMan 3D said:

They said they didn't allow it in GTA Online, yet did nothing to stop it.  If anything they kept making it worse by adding crazier and more powerful weapons and vehicles of mass destruction  to those who liked to grief.

As of right now I haven't seen or heard of anyone being punished by Rockstar for anything.  They are still working on getting the game upto full speed.

Yeah i mean just because you get killed doesn't mean they are griefers. I was trying to sell my pelts and this players killed me lost all my pelts and continued to kill me and everyone around for a good 10 minutes. I reported him to Microsoft for griefing and the next day i got a message from Microsoft telling me he is banned. 

So griefing is definitely not allowed. 

18 minutes ago, Unknown1598 said:

Btw why would any game allow griefing?

A griefer is a player who deliberately irritates and harasses another online player

Online I have been hunting and had players start shooting at me, even it was clear that I wasn't shooting at them.  Last night I was helping a friend who just started playing.  I was waiting for him to figure out what he wanted to do and a player road up and at 1st roped me and shot and killed him.  I got up and killed him and he just kept coming back and shooting at us.  Everytime we would defend ourselves, but he just wouldn't stop.  We eventually went on to do something else, but for about an hour that person wasn't leaving us alone.

Well if you got someone banned, for griefing then that is a major part of the player base that they are targeting.  Many like to grief nowadays, to them that is fun PvP in online games.  I prefer the idea that players want to PvP.  If they interrupt my game and I don't respond, yet they want to keep attacking me.  That is an issue.

Edited by YodaMan 3D

32 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Well if you got someone banned, for griefing then that is a major part of the player base that they are targeting.

R* Business Model for RDR2:

Phase One: Allow Griefing

Phase Two: ?

Phase Three: Profit!

And for our younger readers, here's the reference:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Online I have been hunting and had players start shooting at me, even it was clear that I wasn't shooting at them.  Last night I was helping a friend who just started playing.  I was waiting for him to figure out what he wanted to do and a player road up and at 1st roped me and shot and killed him.  I got up and killed him and he just kept coming back and shooting at us.  Everytime we would defend ourselves, but he just wouldn't stop.  We eventually went on to do something else, but for about an hour that person wasn't leaving us alone.

Well if you got someone banned, for griefing then that is a major part of the player base that they are targeting.  Many like to grief nowadays, to them that is fun PvP in online games.  I prefer the idea that players want to PvP.  If they interrupt my game and I don't respond, yet they want to keep attacking me.  That is an issue.

Actually most of the player base hates griefers. Yes they like PvP i like PvP but killing people isnt griefing it can be though if abused.

Say a player kills you a few times and you get on your horse and leave and that player follows you and kills you multiple more times basically forcing you to leave the lobby because he wont let you play the game. That would be griefing.

Now say a player kills you because you're doing a mission he want to destroy that wouldn't be griefing.

A griefer is a player who goes out of his way to irritate and harass another online player.

Griefing is not something people want... PvP is. Don't confuse the two.

1 hour ago, Unknown1598 said:

Actually most of the player base hates griefers. Yes they like PvP i like PvP but killing people isnt griefing it can be though if abused.

Say a player kills you a few times and you get on your horse and leave and that player follows you and kills you multiple more times basically forcing you to leave the lobby because he wont let you play the game. That would be griefing.

Now say a player kills you because you're doing a mission he want to destroy that wouldn't be griefing.

A griefer is a player who goes out of his way to irritate and harass another online player.

I understand the term, been playing a long time.  For argument sake, most so called PvP players don't want to PvP.  They want easy kills against others that don't want to participate in PvP and then brag about how great they are.

23 hours ago, Unknown1598 said:

Some of your remarks seem contradictory.  Anyone who goes out of there way to make a B line for me as I'm hunting, fishing, gathering items, etc. only to kill me and possibly my horse is a griefer in your description in bold.  If that's the case, I agree with you on that. 

As for R*, of course they condone this behavior and it's by design.  The parley mechanic is a perfect example of them acknowledging the behavior exists and the fact that there are no real consequences for random killing of players shows that they are interested in keeping that element in the game.  They respawn engaged players in close proximity making escapes from kill squads all the more difficult.  GTA is a prime example of R* allowing trolling in their games but at least in that world it made more sense.  .....not in RDR2 though.

I don't have an issue with players taking part in missions as rivals or mutual engagements but the random killing that is going on is definitely griefing / trolling and I have no doubt about it.  

Having said that, I wouldn't even mind if they leave it in but there should be consequences like bounties, more incentives for players to play cooperatively, a passive system, more session options (e.g. private / invite only) or some combination of mechanics like these. 

R* isn't going to take action against a player (griefer) who continues to kill a victim, stalks them, etc. because quite honestly, the game design allows it.  The parley feature is R*'s way of "protecting" victims of repeated attacks by another.  .....and I say "protected" in quotes because it is really a weak attempt at throwing victims a bone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

because quite honestly, the game design allows it. 

I have to admit, I haven't played much of the online yet (trying to make John Matrix and ending up with Ted Cruz for an online character does a lot to dissuade one from playing), but when I do, I'm going to find it difficult to not indiscriminately ambush folks "just because".  It's already happening when I play solo:  if another rider on the road has a hat I like, I shoot him in the face and take it.

11 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

but when I do, I'm going to find it difficult to not indiscriminately ambush folks "just because".  It's already happening when I play solo:  if another rider on the road has a hat I like, I shoot him in the face and take it.

Sounds like you'll fit in just fine!

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2018 at 1:02 PM, YodaMan 3D said:

Quick tip... As soon as someone lassos you, pull up your weapon wheel and pull out your knife. That breaks the lasso animation. Since most griefers just run around killing people and not learning the game ,they have no idea you can do this, so you can get up and kill them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Some of your remarks seem contradictory.  Anyone who goes out of there way to make a B line for me as I'm hunting, fishing, gathering items, etc. only to kill me and possibly my horse is a griefer in your description in bold.  If that's the case, I agree with you on that. 

As for R*, of course they condone this behavior and it's by design.  The parley mechanic is a perfect example of them acknowledging the behavior exists and the fact that there are no real consequences for random killing of players shows that they are interested in keeping that element in the game.  They respawn engaged players in close proximity making escapes from kill squads all the more difficult.  GTA is a prime example of R* allowing trolling in their games but at least in that world it made more sense.  .....not in RDR2 though.

I don't have an issue with players taking part in missions as rivals or mutual engagements but the random killing that is going on is definitely griefing / trolling and I have no doubt about it.  

Having said that, I wouldn't even mind if they leave it in but there should be consequences like bounties, more incentives for players to play cooperatively, a passive system, more session options (e.g. private / invite only) or some combination of mechanics like these. 

R* isn't going to take action against a player (griefer) who continues to kill a victim, stalks them, etc. because quite honestly, the game design allows it.  The parley feature is R*'s way of "protecting" victims of repeated attacks by another.  .....and I say "protected" in quotes because it is really a weak attempt at throwing victims a bone.

The game definitely does not allow griefing since i already gotten a player banned because he camped at the butcher and killed me causing me to lose my pelts. Do you remember when you created your account and it had you read the code of conduct? yeah well everyone has to follow those rules. Doesn't matter what rockstar allows its what Microsoft allows that matters. rockstar could tell you that swearing and being racist is okay yeah well guess what? Microsoft can still ban you because you are following THEIR rules not rockstars. All rockstar can do is make and enforce more rules.

12 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I have to admit, I haven't played much of the online yet (trying to make John Matrix and ending up with Ted Cruz for an online character does a lot to dissuade one from playing), but when I do, I'm going to find it difficult to not indiscriminately ambush folks "just because".  It's already happening when I play solo:  if another rider on the road has a hat I like, I shoot him in the face and take it.

Well, it's all part of the free roam experience R* has created so you should be able to go nuts if you like. There are no repercussions to indiscriminate killing of other players. In essence, free roam is a PvP mode with solo and coop thrown in which IMO is a mistake in it's current form.

9 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

Well, it's all part of the free roam experience R* has created so you should be able to go nuts if you like. There are no repercussions to indiscriminate killing of other players. In essence, free roam is a PvP mode with solo and coop thrown in which IMO is a mistake in it's current form.

I don't have a problem with killing.. I have a problem with griefers.