Profanity filter workaround

LastUnicorn

Question

15 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, James7 said:

I'd like to know how to disable the profanity filter, if there's a way. I wanted to name a mare I had 'Maricarmen', which is really common name in Spanish. Is it because it contains 'marica' in it?

That would be a question for R* although I doubt they will change whatever it is in their system that is filtering it.  It would easier to simply choose another name or a variation on the one you want (e.g. adding characters, spaces, etc.).  

27 minutes ago, CowBoii said:

Some of the filtering system seems silly but just get more creative. Crack open a thesaurus and get some different words with similar meanings. 

That's actually good advice... Hell, you might just learn something...

On 1/7/2019 at 2:27 AM, LastUnicorn said:

Guys is there any way I can go around the profanity filter when naming horses in singleplayer ? I am shocked there is such abomination in there at all is that normaal for ps4 games ?;p(its my first console game btw ^^)

Try with wordplay to get the same sounding word but with different spelling. 

Example? my Gamertag is 'ItsTreesAndDen' on Xbox because i was going for 'Its Treason Then' but that was taken so this was the closest sounding to the phrase. 

The chances are that the profanity filter is baked into the game by Microsoft by way of Xbox restrictions. I expect Sony has the same thing. 

Admittedly, it seems a bit strange to limit the input when the game and in-game dialogue is 18 rated, but Microsoft really don’t want anyone to use their systems to write hate or abusive messages that could be shown in screen captures etc. 

36 minutes ago, Foxtrot said:

The chances are that the profanity filter is baked into the game by Microsoft by way of Xbox restrictions. I expect Sony has the same thing. 

Admittedly, it seems a bit strange to limit the input when the game and in-game dialogue is 18 rated, but Microsoft really don’t want anyone to use their systems to write hate or abusive messages that could be shown in screen captures etc. 

That's what I was thinking. It's R* putting the restrictions in the game, but using Microsoft/Sony guidelines for what they filter out.  Usually games with offline and online components will put the same restrictions for things like naming on all aspects of the game.

Would be better if it was on a game by game basis, leave it up to the producers/creators what they want to allow, mix it with the kind of tone the game has.  GTA and RDR have profanity and hate in them anyways, recording a clip would have that as well.  Just look at the guy that recorded himself beating up a women's suffrage NPC in RDR2 and all the flak that got.

I'd like to know how to disable the profanity filter, if there's a way. I wanted to name a mare I had 'Maricarmen', which is really common name in Spanish. Is it because it contains 'marica' in it?

4 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

That would be a question for R* although I doubt they will change whatever it is in their system that is filtering it.  It would easier to simply choose another name or a variation on the one you want (e.g. adding characters, spaces, etc.).  

I could have just used the English 'Mary Carmen' but it just wouldn't be the same. So I went with something else ('Schwabble'). I guess, like others, it's surprising Rockstar don't let people name horses whatever they want, at least in Story Mode.

5 hours ago, James7 said:

I think the filter system is a bit too touchy and there isn't a way to turn it off, unfortunately. They put it in place to protect the game rating. As for the name, maybe it has something to do with "rica" which can be used to insult Puerto Ricans perhaps? I am not entirely sure. 

49 minutes ago, James7 said:

I could have just used the English 'Mary Carmen' but it just wouldn't be the same. So I went with something else ('Schwabble'). I guess, like others, it's surprising Rockstar don't let people name horses whatever they want, at least in Story Mode.

It's all automated and really depends on what their filters are picking up.  Sometimes it makes no sense but as people become more creative, I guess companies do too in how they block such things.

......funny, seems two threads may have been merged by one of my compadres.  Threw me off there for a second as it wasn't the OP in this thread I was responding to.  If it were, I would be giving the same advice as our friend Truth.  ;)

11 hours ago, VampireKrush said:

I think the filter system is a bit too touchy and there isn't a way to turn it off, unfortunately. They put it in place to protect the game rating. As for the name, maybe it has something to do with "rica" which can be used to insult Puerto Ricans perhaps? I am not entirely sure. 

I think it really must me the string 'marica', though, as in Spanish that is a way of saying 'fa**ot'. If it were simply 'rica', then words like 'America' would also be banned. But, well, 'Maricarmen' is a common enough Spanish girls' name. (And 'rica' is simply the feminine singular adjective for 'tasty', 'rich', or 'sexy'.)

3 hours ago, James7 said:

I think it really must me the string 'marica', though, as in Spanish that is a way of saying 'fa**ot'.

They're most likely using multi-lingual Boolean modifiers to scan for inappropriate names.  If what you're saying is accurate (the limitations of my Espanol are "Donde esta el bano" and "Un cerveza, por favor"), then the double whammy of the "marica" and the "rica" being slang for "sexy" probably got it on the list.

I imagine anything with "sex" or a derivation of it will be flagged in English.  Which is hilarious for an "M" rated game, but whatever floats their proverbial boat.  I had a great name picked out for my horse, but the profanity filter picked it up right away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

They're most likely using multi-lingual Boolean modifiers to scan for inappropriate names.  If what you're saying is accurate (the limitations of my Espanol are "Donde esta el bano" and "Un cerveza, por favor"), then the double whammy of the "marica" and the "rica" being slang for "sexy" probably got it on the list.

I imagine anything with "sex" or a derivation of it will be flagged in English.  Which is hilarious for an "M" rated game, but whatever floats their proverbial boat.  I had a great name picked out for my horse, but the profanity filter picked it up right away.

Image result for over my head gif

• Haha 1