I dunno, I dont get it.

lumper

Im new to online, played the sp three times, loved it.

This will sound like a big cry baby rant, and maybe to some extent it is, so dont read it then.

I just have not had 1 second of fun playing online and I feel violated when I am taken advantage of for not understanding how things work.

I keep to myself, way away from towns and stuff, if I see activity I crouch down with my horse and wait it out, im just trying to hunt small animals so I can buy a rifle, people just wont let me be.

I go online, set up a camp go hunting, three red dots follow me to my camp, when there they start running over my stuff, one steals my horse, as I chase them down, the others kill me, then they stay at my camp.

I thought my camp was a save zone?

My white flag is up , doesnt seem to make a bit of difference, why not?

I just dont understand how to play.

No manual? no instruction at all? are you kidding me?

I am broke, level 7 no weapons worth anything, less than $200 and not 1 gold bar, all I want to do is hunt for a bit to get established, but people keep messing with me, and just taking advantage, I dont know how to stop them, I cant compete with my measly weapons and level so it just isnt fun, at all.

I reported the main A hole but so what, it didnt do anything, he was still there to terrorize me.

I used my mic, tried to talk to them, see what they wanted, they arent talking, just trying to steal my stuff and kill and harass me.

For a game so good, how did they get the online so wrong?

There is no manual of sorts to read and understand things, they just throw you to the wolves, I get it its beta, but wtf?

I am so stressed out right now, over trying to just earn enough money to buy a real gun.

I was hoping to just hunt, enough to buy a better rifle and a fishing pole, thats all, im not hurting anyone, I am not interested in killing others right now, Ill get to that later when I establish my player so he is a god fighter with a good array of items to use, right now he is a useless noob.

Rockstar said if I 2 stepped verification, I would be rewarded, its been three days nothing, I logged in yesterday to a note saying Rockstar gifted me something, but then nothing came, zero, so I just dont get it.

no rewards at all, I really need them, but I cant get an answer from filling out a support ticket and the game tells me nothing.

There really needs to be some clear instructions, tutorials, safe zones for new players under level 25 to get established and try things out, I dont want to be terrorized by advanced players who just enjoy ruining others experiences, if Rockstar thinks thats funny, im out, F that.

I cant believe the best most fun Single player game ive ever seen has such a terrible online situation I mean it is embarrassing

I guess it just isnt for me, I really hoped I coudl enjoy it, but so far my experiences, 4 times I logged in and tried to get it going, and each time ended badly.

I dunno, Im just a little bummed I cant figure this out, so many others are doing it and seem to be fine, I have no enjoyment trying to get a foot hold and not realy knowing anything at all and suddenly dealing with people who know everything.

For Pete's sake, I have what looks liek 2 camps set up, I dunno how that happened, but I go to one of them, and nothign works, I cant get mail or orders or whatever, I dont know why it is even there, or when I decided to set it up why didnt my other one come down?

Anyway I dont have hundreds of hours to figure this out, I just dont, between an anxiety disorder and ptsd I am ready to smash this stupid thing so for my peice of mind and health I think Im out.

too bad too  it seemed like it had potential,

You need someone to posse up with and show you the ropes. I can't  stress how important this is is for new players. Me, I'm level 92 and have been playing RDO since the week it was released, so I'm strong enough to hold my own playing solo. What system do you play on? PS4 or Xbox? I'm on PS4. I mainly hunt and fish myself, usually  only doing pvp when the situation calls for it such as daily challenges or when I need a quick buck or some xp. All of my current posse members have abandoned the game for now due to lack of content, so I am open to finding  some addition members. Playing solo can get boring after awhile, but I just can't put the game down

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it man.

I am on xbox one x

My friends all play on ps4's so.... there's that.

I really dont play mutliplayer games that force you to play with others because again, my friends arent here and im sorry but I have a severe anxiety disorder and meeting new people when I feel so inadequate doesnt work for me, I wish I could I truly do, but I cant.

I did get invited to a chat with the guys who were hassling me and they explained how they see a blue dot and like to follow him or her just to see what they do, they said blue new players often dont get things yet and are afraid of red dots, which is true enough and they said it is funny for them to just follow them until they do something stupid like attack or shoot out of frustration or confusion, nice enough guys but they ruined my game today, so how is that fun for everyone?

Everyone likes to do things there own way, Im no different, I have no fun running around killing, I can play COD ww2 if that is what I want, and I often do, but here I want to level up with hunting and searching and completing challenges that dont involve hurting others.

Again, thanks for your words and advice.

I guess alone isnt going to work well at least not for now, maybe when this beta gets ironed out more I guess, maybe Ill try it again then.

I was really looking forward to enjoying this world and maps within it but it just isnt fun.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lumper said:

I keep to myself, way away from towns and stuff, if I see activity I crouch down with my horse and wait it out, im just trying to hunt small animals so I can buy a rifle, people just wont let me be.

Fyi....  Crouching doesn't make you invisible.  As long as people are within 150 meters of you, they can see you on their radar and will know exactly where you are at.

I go online, set up a camp go hunting, three red dots follow me to my camp, when there they start running over my stuff, one steals my horse, as I chase them down, the others kill me, then they stay at my camp.

Your camp is supposed to be a safe zone but there are ways that other players can still grief you when your white flag is up.  

As far as your horse, open the Free Roam menu and then the Stables option.  There are a couple settings in there where you can choose who has access to your horse.  If you select “Me Only” then you should be the only one who should have access.  You can also disable the option for other players to be able to lead your horse as well.

This is one criticism I have of R* as they don't tend to publicize features or how some of them work.  Every now and again they will publish an article about it and then it's an "ah ha" moment.

I am broke, level 7 no weapons worth anything, less than $200 and not 1 gold bar, all I want to do is hunt for a bit to get established, but people keep messing with me, and just taking advantage, I dont know how to stop them, I cant compete with my measly weapons and level so it just isnt fun, at all.

I'll give you a few of my own personal suggestions I use.....

• Download the RDR2 Companion app.  It's available for both Android and Apple devices.  Essentially what this does is provides you with a real time view of the main map that you can zoom in & out on, see other players, objectives, waypoints, etc.  It's an excellent tool to help keep an eye on other players, check your routes, etc. 
  • Take note of where red dots are and stay far away from them.  As long as you are not wanted, you won't be visible to them until they are within a relatively close range.  This gives you ample time to adjust your route accordingly and/or vacate an area before they arrive.
  • Spawn into a region that is furthest (or at least further) away from where you intend to hang out.  For example, if I'm going to go hunting in the Big Valley (NW part of the map), then I usually spawn into the New Hanover or Lemoyne.  When you choose to join by region, the game seems to load everyone into that same general area.  Once you spawn in, you need to call your horse, plot a quick route and get out of the immediate area ASAP. Once away from the are, just keep an eye out for red dots and other players that may wander into your radar range.
  • Use the Posse Recruitment sub forum here on this site to find players you can join up with and/or the Posse page.  You might be surprised just how many folks are willing to help a new player out and there is always more safety in numbers.  IMO / IME, RDO is much more enjoyable and rewarding when playing with friends.

I reported the main A hole but so what, it didnt do anything, he was still there to terrorize me.

I used my mic, tried to talk to them, see what they wanted, they arent talking, just trying to steal my stuff and kill and harass me.

You also have the option to block them.  I don't know how that works on XB1 but on PS4 the option to block will take you to their PSN profile.  There you can open the menu item with the 3 dots and choose block.  This will supposedly keep them from joining future games with you and in the event one tries to continue the harrassment via messaging, etc., they will not be able to if you have them blocked.

I have literally just under 400 players on my block list.  Probably 2/3 of that are from RDO alone.  .....most I will (what I call) proactively block.  These are people that I notice who are harassing others or acting suspect.  Since the title update, I will tend to block most red dots regardless.

Rockstar said if I 2 stepped verification, I would be rewarded, its been three days nothing, I logged in yesterday to a note saying Rockstar gifted me something, but then nothing came, zero, so I just dont get it. no rewards at all, I really need them, but I cant get an answer from filling out a support ticket and the game tells me nothing.

There is a way to escalate your Support ticket if you don't like the response provided by the initial interaction.  What was their response btw?

For Pete's sake, I have what looks liek 2 camps set up, I dunno how that happened, but I go to one of them, and nothign works, I cant get mail or orders or whatever, I dont know why it is even there, or when I decided to set it up why didnt my other one come down?

The camp icon colors are a little confusing now.  There are two different shades of blue.  After the TU, I was confused by this as well.

If you are on PS4, hit me up, I don't mind spending a session showing you the ropes and helping you hunt.  My PSN name is Kean_1.

EDIT:  Just saw your reply that you're on XB.  Still, I would look for some company in that sub forum I mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WoW let me just say if the players I met in game were as informative and nice as you guys are here in this board, this game would be awesome.

I cant thank you enough for taking the time to explain these things to me and share with me your experiences and advice, Thanks very much.

I have a lot to learn if I am too keep trying to play, 

R* respones was not to respond, have not received a word from them at all.

kind of bummed about that too.

The block thing sounds good, 400?!? lol my goodness man, thats a lot of A holes to deal with.

Thanks for that tip though Ill be looking into that one for sure.

I do have my horse set to me only which is why I was flabbergasted to see it being led away from my camp.

The guy who did it later explained he was leading it away from my camp to pet it!! wtf is that? he did that in hopes I wouldnt understand and then I woudl shoot at him which I did, and of course that ended badly for me.

1 minute ago, lumper said:

WoW let me just say if the players I met in game were as informative and nice as you guys are here in this board, this game would be awesome.

I cant thank you enough for taking the time to explain these things to me and share with me your experiences and advice, Thanks very much.

I have a lot to learn if I am too keep trying to play, 

R* respones was not to respond, have not received a word from them at all.

kind of bummed about that too.

The block thing sounds good, 400?!? lol my goodness man, thats a lot of A holes to deal with.

Thanks for that tip though Ill be looking into that one for sure.

I do have my horse set to me only which is why I was flabbergasted to see it being led away from my camp.

The guy who did it later explained he was leading it away from my camp to pet it!! wtf is that? he did that in hopes I wouldnt understand and then I woudl shoot at him which I did, and of course that ended badly for me.

No worries.....  While I wouldn't expect most randoms to be as friendly, there are plenty here that are.  .....and I would seriously try to tap into that resource if I were you.  

Sorry to hear about the lack of response from R* I'm assuming you went through the Support website and not the Beta Feedback website, correct?  Here's the link:  https://support.rockstargames.com/categories/115001624507?redirect_lang=en_us&_ga=2.2861492.54410651.1552419130-1719606522.1525287356

I would submit another ticket if I were you.  I have submitted several myself and all but one request was met with a response within an hour or two.  The other was the next day.  They say to expect a <24 hr wait time.  As long as you include the correct email, they should be sending you an automated confirmation and then a notification of reply.

Not sure what happened with the horse then.  Griefers find ways around things in this game.  Now, I'm not trying to be harsh here but personally, I would have never let them get that close to me.  I would have been gone before they were even in range to see me.  If (let's say) that did happen to me, and all things being equal, I would have reported them  for disruptive behavior, blocked them and simply logged out of the session and into a new one.  Deny them the satisfaction which (unfortunately) you fed into.

I can't stress how important it is to have situational awareness in this game.  Especially when playing alone.  The trick is to let other people be their target.  They tend to prey on the easy marks and targets of opportunity.  Just don't be one of them.

• Thanks 1

Blocked 0 players since launch roughly 250h Playtime and lvl263.

My advice ? Parley and move on or change session. After the update im almost always alone anyways but if some dude wanna shoot me i parley and move on no problem. I see No reason what so ever to defend myself as long as i get a bounty for it. Boring as hell

Edited by Zampen
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lumper said:

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it man.

I am on xbox one x

My friends all play on ps4's so.... there's that.

I really dont play mutliplayer games that force you to play with others because again, my friends arent here and im sorry but I have a severe anxiety disorder and meeting new people when I feel so inadequate doesnt work for me, I wish I could I truly do, but I cant.

I did get invited to a chat with the guys who were hassling me and they explained how they see a blue dot and like to follow him or her just to see what they do, they said blue new players often dont get things yet and are afraid of red dots, which is true enough and they said it is funny for them to just follow them until they do something stupid like attack or shoot out of frustration or confusion, nice enough guys but they ruined my game today, so how is that fun for everyone?

Everyone likes to do things there own way, Im no different, I have no fun running around killing, I can play COD ww2 if that is what I want, and I often do, but here I want to level up with hunting and searching and completing challenges that dont involve hurting others.

Again, thanks for your words and advice.

I guess alone isnt going to work well at least not for now, maybe when this beta gets ironed out more I guess, maybe Ill try it again then.

I was really looking forward to enjoying this world and maps within it but it just isnt fun.

First of all, "Explore the world solo or with friends" is what Rockstar said in their promotional material, so maybe it is just because "it's a beta."

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60711/Red-Dead-Online-Beta

Second, I play solo and I got griefed twice today while minding my own business. The first time, someone roped me when I was going for the fast travel hitch and dragged my body. I just let him have the body and loaded into another free roam session. The second time, I was spawning out of a mission and a level 155 (I'm 58 now) headshot me. I reported him then blocked him on PSN.

After one or two encounters such as this happen to me, I say to myself "Well, I tried" and I investigate methods of preventing me from being griefed. The game is more enjoyable for me when I decide when and how I want to interact with other players...just as I do in real life.

For you to enjoy this game as is, you are going to have to do some investigation. Believe me, there are people who feel as you do and they find ways to make this game enjoyable.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Yes, this game is not an easy one to simply jump in and play.  No instructions and everyone plays differently.  Kind of like life, huh? 😉

There is somewhat of a "paying your dues" concept to this game.  When you don't have any way to battle the top guys, you either die or you find ways to mitigate the risks of running into baddies.   It's part of "growing up" in this game until your character and you gain the necessary experience.  It's part of the ride!  Try to enjoy it and not fret about it. Acceptance is much easier!

I watch the radar very closely.  I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be aware in this game.  Even blue dots are your enemies until they've passed.  The daily challenges make it this way. I have a shoot first mentality if the blue dot looks remotely suspicious.  That's not for everyone, though.  But, I'd rather stand my ground than be chased from it.

Don't sweat dying.  Being griefed is one thing and I agree, that's no fun.  But dying is going to happen and the penalty for doing so is really not that much.  You've obviously died in COD...same thing.  Not a big deal.  

Hope it gets a little more fun for you.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for all the info.

Top clarify, they chased me down, until my horse couldnt run, then followed me slowly to my camp, and would not leave.

I used emotes to wave and show Im not hostile, they waved back, then at my camp, led my horse away and as I said, eventually killed me two or three times.

On the Rockstar thing.

So I didnt realize I needed to check my email, I had been avoiding my email for other reasons lately, I assumed I cold just use the ticket submission and dashboard, after reading your tips, I went to my email found their response and answered them back.

They told me, that within 72 hours I would see the gift, but again, it has definitely been longer than that, but ok whatever.

Another frustration is that to reply from my dashboard or whatever I cant, it takes forever to load, then it shows my open tickets, I can click on the ticket # but never do I go to a spot where I can update the ticket, now obviously it must be there, and I am just not seeing it.

Once I get frustrated and overwhelemed everything stops making sense to me.

So, ive learned a lot today, but here I am at my camp, still broke, not sure even what to do, I want to go hunting, but it never ends well, I need a rifle, that I cant afford, and even if I could it says it is locked until level something or other but at level 7, it was definitely double digits to get the rifle, so now I just dont know what I should even do.

I really appreciate the time you took today, Thank you very much,

I'm doing my best, never has a game made me feel so inadequate and stupid.

Im about to give up, but I really want to give it a fair shake, I am almost out of patience.

Thanks again

Sometimes I'll use griefers to my advantage. Last night I had a blue dot catch me off guard when he lassoed and hogtied me. I used that as an excuse to go after him with my dual wielded sawed offs to complete that daily challenge. This was not any easy thing to do since you need to be close range to do damage. He picked me off a few times with a repeater as I charged him, But I was persistent and did get him twice. The coward then decided he had enough and parlayed me. I was able to finish off the rest of the challenge in a Dispatch Rider free roam event.

• Like 1

See retribution is fine if you have a weapon that can kill more than a squirrel, I do not.

For me, I can hide, avoid, run, etc.. 

And if I can be hassled at my own camp then wtf?

Someone else said paying dues, I am all about learning the game slowly, but being harassed when I am trying to learn the ropes doenst make the game any fun at all.

I know there are people like in life that are just jerks, in life I rarely ever have to deal with them, they dont mess with me, only cowards at home in a game ever do.

Paying dues is starting at the bottom and learning/earning your way, which is all I want to do.

Personally I think until you level up , you should not be able to be attacked or messed with by others beyond your level, either put the higher level players together on a server and lower level players alone in their own server, so the new guys can hunt, fish, learn, take part in missions, etc.. until they get to a certain level, one where they have a chance to buy a few weapons, and horses.

Above a guy said, he went after the guy who hogtied him with dual shotguns, well that must be nice, what I wouldnt give for a sawed of shotgun right now, try that with a varmit rifle.

Anyway you people here at RDR2.org have been really great!! so informative and nice and I can not thank you again, without this board to vent on a little I think I would have moved on two days ago, to any number of more fun things to do than be be hassled by 12 year olds in a video game.

Im going to try one more time, take all this information in and see how it goes, Im all about a positive attitude and I can take my lumps, if my name doesnt give that away already it now should.

Thanks everyone

1. There is an entire Recruitment section that most people seem to ignore on these forums. All types of crews from hardcore players, to "help" crews and even PvE crews that just want to hunt and fish etc..

2. You only have 1 Camp and its BRIGHT Bluex darker blue is "friendly" player camps Red is "bad" player camps.

3. Press start and go to the HELP section alot of things are explained there. That's your Manual or simply go on YouTube, or guides on the internet.

4. Gifted items are sent to your lockbox at camp or mailbox anywhere, as far as not being able to access that IDK but it doesn't magically teleport to you, you have to manually go to them and retrieve them.

5. You shouldn't have bought a Varmint Rifle as your first rifle, should have gotten a repeater, bow or bolt action all deadly against animals and players. 

6. Should go to Rockstars website and offer suggestions, the lower level thing maybe 1-10 should have a "tutorial" phase where they can get on their feet. 

Edited by Born Homicidal
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lumper said:

Above a guy said, he went after the guy who hogtied him with dual shotguns, well that must be nice, what I wouldnt give for a sawed of shotgun right now, try that with a varmit rifle.

The varmint rifle can be quite deadly if you can master the headshot even after its nerfed. You can always practices on NPCs

I recommend getting the bolt action rifle as soon as you can afford it. It's not that expensive and it's  a solid weapon for both hunting and self defense.

Edited by Vaderspupil
  • Like 1

Coca Cola Kid, Thanks man, Im  on Xbox as lump321 online

Born Homicidal, 

Thank you for the clarification about camp icon, that was confusing, I must have gone into someone else camp and not even known it, thankfully they werent there.

I did read every word in the help section lol,

Ive checked my lockbox thing, and the post office every day since and still nothing from Rockstar, and I have to say I think the offer said they would reward you with Gold if you did the two step, the message I got said Rockstar gifted me an "Item" it didnt say gold, and that threw me off a little but either way, nothing from Rockstar has been delivered to my game either at camp or at a post office.
This Im not worried about other than thinking my game is messed up, but I guess it just takes up to 72 hours and in my life if it can go wrong, it will so if they say it can take 72 hours, mine will come after 71 hours 59 minutes, id bet my life on it.

As far as the recruitment thing goes, it may seem odd to some, but I struggle with ptsd and anxiety and to each person it can be very different how it effects them, for me, it is hard to just mingle in with folks I dont know and feel comfortable, especially if I dont understand things and need a lot of answers, it is hard on me.

Anxiety isnt logical, it is overwhelming and difficult at times, so this is one reason I often just skip the multiplayer aspect of a game, with a few exceptions, like COD ww2, im pretty good at it, well good enough to not feel raped, same with golf I can hold my own, so no worries, but when I have no clue and so many questions I find it very difficult to pair up with folks I dont know.

for example, if I were to even consider looking at that thread, I feel like, I have nothing to offer anyone, I am just sponge really as I need everything, have no idea about many things in the game and the one time I tried and joined a session with others to complete a mission I didnt know what I was doing, nobody was talking to me, and in the end they stole my bounty from my horse while I stopped to loot a few bodies, so I dunno man, I will look closer at the recruitment thing, but it isnt as simple as a choice sometimes.

If that is the only way then sadly I might not be able to enjoy rdr2 online.

I truly do want to, it seems great in many ways, and I love the maps and horses etc..

Just hate bullies and a holes, I wish people would just leave me alone, I know they are bored but damn, dont you have another game to go play?

If you are so bored that you have resorted to ruining other peoples experience, maybe its time to play a new game.

And Rockstar for their part is allowing it, yet they want me to be interested and play this game, you cant have it both ways, no matter how good the graphics are if the experience leaves me upset and not having fun, I am not going to play it, at all.
I did send them feedback on this point

Ill try again later after I have eaten and calmed down, so far my afternoon was 5 minutes of game time, 90 minutes of bitching about it and about an hour of posting in the forums while my game was paused., not a great day.

Edited by lumper

2 hours ago, lumper said:

Im new to online, played the sp three times, loved it.

This will sound like a big cry baby rant, and maybe to some extent it is, so dont read it then.

I just have not had 1 second of fun playing online and I feel violated when I am taken advantage of for not understanding how things work.

For a game so good, how did they get the online so wrong?

There is no manual of sorts to read and understand things, they just throw you to the wolves, I get it its beta, but wtf?

I am so stressed out right now, over trying to just earn enough money to buy a real gun.

I was hoping to just hunt, enough to buy a better rifle and a fishing pole, thats all, im not hurting anyone, I am not interested in killing others right now, Ill get to that later when I establish my player so he is a god fighter with a good array of items to use, right now he is a useless noob.

Rockstar said if I 2 stepped verification, I would be rewarded, its been three days nothing, I logged in yesterday to a note saying Rockstar gifted me something, but then nothing came, zero, so I just dont get it.

no rewards at all, I really need them, but I cant get an answer from filling out a support ticket and the game tells me nothing.

There really needs to be some clear instructions, tutorials, safe zones for new players under level 25 to get established and try things out, I dont want to be terrorized by advanced players who just enjoy ruining others experiences, if Rockstar thinks thats funny, im out, F that.

I cant believe the best most fun Single player game ive ever seen has such a terrible online situation I mean it is embarrassing

I guess it just isnt for me, I really hoped I coudl enjoy it, but so far my experiences, 4 times I logged in and tried to get it going, and each time ended badly.

I dunno, Im just a little bummed I cant figure this out, so many others are doing it and seem to be fine, I have no enjoyment trying to get a foot hold and not realy knowing anything at all and suddenly dealing with people who know everything.

Anyway I dont have hundreds of hours to figure this out, I just dont, between an anxiety disorder and ptsd I am ready to smash this stupid thing so for my peice of mind and health I think Im out.

too bad too  it seemed like it had potential,

Hit me up on Xbone and I'll take you around to show you how to avoid people and grind for some cash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, madfretter said:

Hit me up on Xbone and I'll take you around to show you how to avoid people and grind for some cash.

Thanks man,

Ill add you when I get the strength to turn the console back on.

Lump

• Haha 1

lumper,

I feel your pain.  I too have experienced the growing pains in this game.  Most of the people on this forum are very helpful I have found.  They can teach you the basics of this game.  As far as getting killed in what ever you are doing is a pretty common thing here and save yourself the bother of trying to figure out why.

I too started out the way you are playing with hunting, fishing and herb gathering to make some money and get a few xp while doing it.  I have done that for about 3 months and did rather well on the money end but xp is quite a grind.  I connect with friends when I can to do story missions and stranger missions.

I want to stress on you to make sure and start giving your feedback to R* as much as you can during beta. If you want change now is the time to make it happen. I have been doing this daily to try and get different lobbies in this game like they did in gtao so that what is happening to you now would be easier to bear.  

I got some good advise on this forum the other day in the strangest way. Some people here told me to quit whining about this problem and perhaps I should not play this if I couldn't hack it. That this is "Wild West" and should expect some shooting going on. That some people want to be "Outlaws for Life" and so on. Well I know I can hack it cause lets face it when you get killed you don't loose much so no big deal so that  wasn't the problem.  Then it dawned on me that I am playing the game wrong.  

For the last three days I have been spending about an hour or so a day just hunting down other players and shooting them for no reason what so ever.  Just cause I could find them.  I noticed it didn't matter much what level they are if you plan it right you can do it. The cheesier the kill the better. Quite fun actually.  When they complain I just give em the pat answers that everyone gives me. Be ready to jump servers cause believe me the makes em quite mad lol.

My whole reasoning here is to get people to nag R* to make this crap stop.  Until it is fixed I see no other way to play this game.  You have no choice.  Kill or be Killed.

I am still low level so I die a lot this way but not really much more than when I was the victim.

• Like 1

@Kean_1

Just putting this out there, but blocking them doesn't keep them from being matched into a session with you. Just saying. I blocked one guy who followed me from session to session pre update, and was matched with him some weeks ago (not surprised he was dark red).

6 hours ago, Renascent said:

@Kean_1

Just putting this out there, but blocking them doesn't keep them from being matched into a session with you. Just saying. I blocked one guy who followed me from session to session pre update, and was matched with him some weeks ago (not surprised he was dark red).

Seems there's mixed signals on this. We had a discussion here where another member had been in contact with Sony. They got different answers but then connected to someone who seemed to know what the were talking about and mentioned that it did work in matchmaking. Some if the previous reps even said there was a limit of only 100 blocked users when I knew that simply wasn't the case 

I'm not doubting your experience and maybe it really doesn't work that way.  I've heard someone else say the same. For me, out of the 300+ I've blocked I haven't run into one that I have previously done so. That could simply be a matter of numbers and chance though.

Anyhow, I'll continue to do so if for anything to prevent them from connecting with me on PSN, sending msgs,  and generally trying to harass or contact me outside of the game as some have done in the past.

Thanks for sharing that though. Folks should know that this may not be a garauntee.

I hope you find someone to help you out soon on XBox bud. It's not that hard to avoid trouble really. Spent yet another almost full real day online yesterday just hunting and fishing and didn't see one blue dot. The red dots were, as usual, entertaining themselves, on the other side of the map exactly where they spawned in. The join game, shoot anything that moves the second you spawn in mindset they have conveniently lighting them up for all to see and easily avoid for all eternity (or that session at least).

Also, "EJECT" disc is a quick and easy dismissal for any online interactions you are not comfy with. Takes no time to restart game and leave the rubbish, ignored, in the bin.

Edited by Traks1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

I noticed this also.  I think you have to close app before it take hold. After that I noticed it worked.

7 hours ago, Renascent said:

@Kean_1

I think PS4 and Xbone handle this in different ways. I'm on Xbone and have been using the block feature successfully since Modern Warfare 2.  From what I can tell, the  block  system is working on RDR2 for me.  I think every now and then the system will be forced to choose between pairing you with  a blocked person or excessively delaying your wait time to get into a game.  My guess is it's probably set to override a block so we aren't waiting 20 minutes to get into a game, lesser of two evils.

8 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

I noticed this also.  I think you have to close app before it take hold. After that I noticed it worked.

Could be but it also may be that it just doesn't work that way.  I wish I could find that other thread.  Even the "experts" couldn't give a straight answer as to how the block feature worked in this sense.  

....and btw, it shows me quoted in your post when that was actually Renascent's reply.  :)

Just a few pointers on how to deal with certain things in the game... you might find some useful, lumper.

1. Do the story mission to take out the ammo dump. You will be given free dynamite. 

1a. Use dynamite to harass interlopers who invade your camp. It won't kill them but it will make them leave. No one likes being repeatedly blown into the air.

2. If someone steals your horse, whistle. Your horse will throw the rider and return to you.

3. If someone Lassos you, quickly pull out your knife to cut the rope before they Hogtie you. Once or twice and they usually give up. 

4. In your situation I would highly recommend running several story missions, over and over, again. These are cooperative missions with 2-4 players.  Don't worry, no one talks and half the time, sometimes, there is actually some teamwork. This would be a good way to make some money, learn from watching others, and not be in a competitive vs. mode with other players while you make some quick cash, get some good xp, and learn from watching other more experienced players. (and some not so experienced, as well)

5. Most of all, endeavor to have fun.  As someone said above, death is pretty painless in this game.  Getting killed shouldn't ruin your play. Just chalk it up to a speed bump and keep moving on.  If someone is really dead set on harassing you, jump into a story mission or two and come back to free roam in a new lobby with new folks and your enemy will have moved on. 

Hope this helps!  Yeehaw!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Madrigalian said:

Just a few pointers on how to deal with certain things in the game... you might find some useful, lumper.

1. Do the story mission to take out the ammo dump. You will be given free dynamite. 

1a. Use dynamite to harass interlopers who invade your camp. It won't kill them but it will make them leave. No one likes being repeatedly blown into the air.

2. If someone steals your horse, whistle. Your horse will throw the rider and return to you.

3. If someone Lassos you, quickly pull out your knife to cut the rope before they Hogtie you. Once or twice and they usually give up. 

4. In your situation I would highly recommend running several story missions, over and over, again. These are cooperative missions with 2-4 players.  Don't worry, no one talks and half the time, sometimes, there is actually some teamwork. This would be a good way to make some money, learn from watching others, and not be in a competitive vs. mode with other players while you make some quick cash, get some good xp, and learn from watching other more experienced players. (and some not so experienced, as well)

5. Most of all, endeavor to have fun.  As someone said above, death is pretty painless in this game.  Getting killed shouldn't ruin your play. Just chalk it up to a speed bump and keep moving on.  If someone is really dead set on harassing you, jump into a story mission or two and come back to free roam in a new lobby with new folks and your enemy will have moved on. 

Probably some of best advice given. I would add team up with other like players add friends

Had some jackass who thought he'd get cute with me and tackle me and engage in a fist fight. After a minute or two of me whooping his ass. He realized he couldn't beat me with his fists so he pulled out his combat knife. That's when I when I drew my revolver and pistol whipped to death with it. He left me alone after that. LOL!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Madrigalian said:

That was very helpful and informative, thank you very much, this is good info, and I cant thank you enough.

Ragee503, I also like your approach, I personally at least for now, wont be doing that, but I get it and I really think you might be on to something.

Again, I think my anxiety is more the problem, when I dont quite understand things, I get very frustrated, so when things go a way I didnt know they could or wold, like the incident at my camp, I just get overwhelmed with emotion and anger and frustration and then its a wrap, lol im spent once that happens.

I cant help it though, sadly it is just how it is for me.

To be clear and fair, I am not against being killed, and occasionally it is even funny, its just when I am trying to mind my own business and learn the game and I have more questions than answers and then people who could have been very helpful decide instead to just be jerks and hassle me I take that personally.