***SPOILER*** Story mode blues

NukeofDoom

I absolutely loved the game. Everything about it. The hunting, the fishing and the story. The only problem I had was the fact that it was so d a m good I have felt a sadness since I beat the game. The story was so well written and I became so attached to the character that I can't get over the fact that Arthur is gone. Is anyone else feeling this blues and emptiness?

Edited by Kean_1
Removed inappropriate content.
  • Like 1

You're right.  I miss Arthur as well.  The story for me was fantastically written, acted, and performed.

I know I could start all over again, but I completed the game on my third attempt, so that's doubtful.

• Like 1

Movies don't even invoke this kind of emotion in me. I think because I spent so much time getting to know the character, filling up and reading his journal and compendium, and trying to make amends for my (our), (his) wrongs, I felt a true connection to this person. A dam good game from Rockstar on all levels. It's just heart wrenching when John meets an NPC that was helped by Arthur and I have to hear John tell them that Arthur passed a while back.

I missed Arthur also,  that is one of the big reasons i really struggled and had to force myself to play through the epilogue.  

3 hours ago, Foxtrot said:

Yeah, Arthur's last journal entries made for emotional reading.

John's journal is ending up with endless childish drawings of animals as I trawl through the zoologist trophy.

Yep i quit looking at the journal after the first few entries from John, 

Edited by Kean_1
  • Like 1

You're not the only one bud. See it as a man's version of a "Lifetime Movie". It'll hit you hard in the chest. No tears. Just some strong stuff that makes you human. When making Arthur head back to that cave was the most badass feeling ever. Gonna finally get this Micah guy once and for all. Then seeing him just lay there was tough. I stopped playing for awhile. the epilogue came up and just couldn't keep playing it.

Took a couple weeks for me to be like well there's a little bit more to explore that is left. It may sound a little extreme but when my first playthrough of RDRII and Arthur met the demise. Took off work and said there was a death in the family. Got a couple days off, you would play more of it while having more time and just couldn't do it. Just chilled thought about life itself and how a little ole game changed the meaning of life for me.

• Like 2

NDX I hear you. It still feels like there's a recent death in the family. The game is so dam great though and I can't stop playing it. I'm going for 100% of 100%. This is by far the best game I have ever played.

I am working on filling every bit of the compendium and the detail they put into the wildlife is amazing.

• Like 1

RDRII and Max Payne 3 also GTA V are the only games that once the credits roll. Instantly loading up a new game to literally play everything again. Already on my fourth playthrough its not getting stale at all. Well, beside the lousy levels where you just do something that doesn't end in a shootout. Really used to repeating and doing the same thing over and over thanks to GTA Online.

So doing RDRII over and over is sort of a cool video game vacation from GTA Online. Haven't thought about going for 100% yet still want to test and see how everything works from animations to scenery and all that jazz. Sooner or later will do a 100% but right now want to see how everything looks in different times of the day if mission is scripted for daytime or what not.

Big props for you bud for going gold 100%. One cool thing about the wildlife just noticed this yesterday. If you watch a bald eagle or any eagle and see it sore through your binoculars you'll see it catch prey and sweep it up. Shot it down to see if you could stow the eagles prey or not and you actually can! Kinda like killing two birds with one stone. Also the eagle sweeped up a 3 star rodent.

Kinda cool that animals know their pelts and quality of prey.

You're right though this is a great game. Has it flaws from time to time for me personally, but man it's a whole different level game-wise to anything before it. 

Just a reminder to please keep the discussion about the game and related topics.  The inappropriate remark has been removed and related references to it.  Thanks.

Note: Also added "spoiler" to the title for those who have not completed the story yet and are unaware of the events that take place.

• Kean_1 changed the title to ***SPOILER*** Story mode blues

Thanks Kean_1. I understand the rules and changes. NDX I also noticed the predator/prey relationship was really accurate. My progress says I have played three days worth of gameplay and I can tell you I spent most of that on hunting and animal exploration. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For sure, 100% with you on this.

I went back and played it a second time, and tried to find everything I missed the first time, then after that, I was still not satisfied, so I played it a third time, but this time, I played it and found everything as I went, it was awesome!

So I would get to a camp, say the first one, Horseshoe over look, immediately go hunting, and sell the stuff to get a few bucks to make a few upgrades at camp and weapons, found a gold bar, to help, then did two missions, the one to unlock the fence and the stables and then off to get the buck antler trinket, once you do that your pelts are more often better, so it is a good way to start.

Anyway from there, I would do a mission, then a few side missions, and along the way any stranger missions I encountered, bounties, etc..

Putting the story missions off until I was bored or all caught up,

Getting the satchel fully upgraded early on is key so that takes some time and gets you out hunting a lot.

By the time I got to chapter 3, I had the full satchel upgraded, my camp maxed out, tons of stuff discovered, 8 or 9 companion requests, most of the carvings, bones, and catchers, a good amount of the legendary fish and animals, etc..

I was so stocked up with stuff, that the rest of the game was really easy and flowed really well, doing things like the Algernon Wasp missions was tough but not when you have that satchel,

Anyway, after my third playthrough I feel like I found everything I really enjoyed the play through that time, it was more natural, like what I woudl expect a guy to do, he woudl go hunting, and picking, and then crafting, exploring, searching for treasure, helping out strangers and discovering secrets along the way like serial killers and vampires, etc..

It was awesome! and I am really glad I went back and did it all over again.

So, yeah I think most people really felt attached to Arthur and the story in general and it is perfectly natural to feel that way.

Edited by lumper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The hunting is what makes this game infinite for me. Free aim completely off and off while on the horse without dead-eye really ups the enjoyment of getting a clean scope on a buck on the run for moccasins really made me feel like it was truly earned. Spend just amount of time hunting as much you Nuke. It beats far cry 3's hunting for me. Personally not even a hunter in the real world. 

Lumper it's funny you mention that. Sort of doing that exact thing right now. In fact just got the legend buck few moments ago. Spent alot of time just hunting around once you get to horseshoe overlook too. Tried out that gold glitch everyone mention on my this playthrough unlocked the fence going back and forth until getting extremely rich. Got done with that went off to find that legendary buck for the trinket early. And as well on finding that perfect flow for the game to have it feel right as the story progresses. Sort of picky with that when it comes to R*'s content. As what mission should be done first and then free roam a bit to make it seem as if a week passed by within the game and all that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - miss Arthur so much i quit playing after the switch 3 times without finishing and started the game over.  I spend as much time as I can buried in Chapters 2 and 3 - riding as much of the map as possible as Arthur.  I want three things - more story DLC with Arthur, the ability to own and stable more horses and with the online mode the chance to run into, ride with and do missions / hang out with Arthur and the gang.  What a cool thing that would be.  

• 1 month later...

This is the only game to every make me get all teary, that song as Arthur rides to confront Micah for the last time is an absolute killer. Loosing his horse (I kept the same one for most of the game in both play through. Gold Turk the first time and Buell the second) was heart breaking and that whole end fight (High honor) on the mountain was both amazing and agonizing. 

Before RDR2 came out I just wanted more Marston. But at the end of RDR2, I only wanted Arthur back and Marston almost didn't get his epilogue playthrough. That speaks to a great character, he out shined the original protagonist so much that I resented Marston for taking over, despite adoring him in RDR1 and as a character in RDR2.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, Kean_1 said:

Just a reminder to please keep the discussion about the game and related topics.  The inappropriate remark has been removed and related references to it.  Thanks.

How could you remove it before I got to see it??? 😧