Solo Bounty Hunter Griefers!

EaglesLanding

I had just picked up a bounty poster at the sheriff's office in Valentine and was walking back to my horse when a GRIEFER shot my horse, dropped him and then promptly exited the server! I was able to "revive" my horse and quickly gave him Horse Meal just as the bounty mission started (he had a red health core). Even though my horse had full gold cores from the Horse Meal ... there was obviously something wrong with him. He was shaking his head like he was dazed or something and did not seem to want to move faster than a slow trot. I dismounted ... petted, brushed and fed my horse an apple & carrot ... even led him around for a couple minutes hoping he would perk up. He was still very sluggish! Never had that happen before! I decided to exit the bounty mission since it would have been very difficult to execute with a sick horse. Has anyone else had this or something similar happen?

Bounty missions are difficult enough for me working solo with the server disconnects, completed missions not paying out, etc. NOW THIS? What do people get out of killing someone else's horse and then being a total coward by leaving the server???

TO ALL GRIEFERS: If you must be a jerk, TRY to kill me! Leave my horse alone!!!

Needless to say I am going to be much more aware of nearby blips when I visit Bounty Boards!

Edited by EaglesLanding

Just now, EaglesLanding said:

Needless to say I am going to be much more aware of nearby blips when I visit Bounty Boards!

....you should always be regardless.  That sort of thing can happen at any time.   Don't let it bug you too much though.  

• Like 1

To answer your question, just flee the horse and call a different one. No need to restart the mission if the timer hasn't started.  The next server change, Sometimes they seem to want you to pay vet fees, sometimes they don't... it's bugged out like everything else.

Plus you were in valentine and could have just changed the horse at the stable, given you have more than 1

And griefers going to be griefers, defensive mode with the right cards is a huge advantage... unless they using explosives.

47 minutes ago, EaglesLanding said:

Bounty missions are difficult enough for me working solo with the server disconnects, completed missions not paying out, etc.

Yeah I am debating whether or not to write a whole post on how bounty Hunter and dailies is becoming a joke.  I got a game that's crashing frequently (once again) isn't registering half the challenges I complete and now the bounties are falling/jumping off cliffs and the bolas at $30 a pop is ridiculously overpriced.  If you are solo it's impossible to tie up 4 B4 the 3 you bola escape.  Plus my bounty wagon doesn't come 90% of the time.  Got watch the timer tick away as you sit alongside a road waiting for the wagon to either not move or move slower than a turtle drawn wagon.

Never mind I haven't been able to pitch a camp for 3 weeks now, I just stopped trying.

I already vented most of this directly to R*.

53 minutes ago, Dissention said:

Yeah I am debating whether or not to write a whole post on how bounty Hunter and dailies is becoming a joke.  I got a game that's crashing frequently (once again) isn't registering half the challenges I complete and now the bounties are falling/jumping off cliffs and the bolas at $30 a pop is ridiculously overpriced.  If you are solo it's impossible to tie up 4 B4 the 3 you bola escape.  Plus my bounty wagon doesn't come 90% of the time.  Got watch the timer tick away as you sit alongside a road waiting for the wagon to either not move or move slower than a turtle drawn wagon.

Never mind I haven't been able to pitch a camp for 3 weeks now, I just stopped trying.

I already vented most of this directly to R*.

Thanks for your response @Dissention!

Getting a camp to pitch has been MUCH better the past week or so for me. It is usually on the map when I spawn in. I just filed a ticket with RockStar though because I lost a 100 Goods delivery when the server crashed right after the delivery mission started. Logged back in expecting the goods to be there so I could try again and they were GONE! Hopefully they will credit my account with the goods or the cash & XP I would have made.

Eagles: I've lost 4 full trader wagons now due to rockstar glitches. Spawning under map 3 times, and a "mission over" for no reason another. 

Turned in all 4 incidents and nothing has happened.  They don't seem to care. 

When you need to turn in a bounty to the bounty wagon driver, I wish they would allow a grayed out safe zone around it.  I've had several instances while waiting for the last 30 seconds where a player rides up and starts shooting.  Have to turn in early.  

They allow you a safe zone while standing in front of the police station with your bounty.  Not sure why the wagon drop off missions are different. 

Edited by Kean_1
Combined consecutive posts

19 hours ago, EaglesLanding said:

I decided to exit the bounty mission since it would have been very difficult to execute with a sick horse. Has anyone else had this or something similar happen?

Dismiss your horse and call for it back.

Edited by HuDawg
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

....you should always be regardless.  That sort of thing can happen at any time.   Don't let it bug you too much though.  

Why not let it bug him? A player has every right to be bugged if not royally pissed off in such circumstances. For me, having a remarkably realistic virtual horse is the main reason I play this game. I love horses (all animals, really) but will never be able to afford one in real life. So I do everything possible to protect my horse in the game. Whenever I go to a town, I try to put the horse in a stable before walking around. If that isn't possible, I try to  hitch him in an out-of-the-way place.

There are too many things about this game that are difficult anyway, but griefers who shoot horses are among the worst scum. To me that's equally as bad as the frequent random server crashes...worse in some ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aval0n said:

Why not let it bug him? A player has every right to be bugged if not royally pissed off in such circumstances. For me, having a remarkably realistic virtual horse is the main reason I play this game. I love horses (all animals, really) but will never be able to afford one in real life. So I do everything possible to protect my horse in the game. Whenever I go to a town, I try to put the horse in a stable before walking around. If that isn't possible, I try to  hitch him in an out-of-the-way place.

There are too many things about this game that are difficult anyway, but griefers who shoot horses are among the worst scum. To me that's equally as bad as the frequent random server crashes...worse in some ways.

Just offering reassurance.  Don't read too much into it Aval0n.  

Although it's rare that I get griefed, I don't dwell on those few instances that do occur.  ....but again, a lot of it comes down to situational awareness.

41 minutes ago, Aval0n said:

Thank you for this @Aval0n! I do everything possible to protect Sam (my horse) as well. What you said emphasizes part of the point I was trying to make. I have had Sam since very close to the start of RDO since he was part of the PS4 Ultimate Edition package (Black Chestnut Thoroughbred: 9 Speed / 7 Acceleration with current saddle & stirrups) . As a solo player, Sam & I have experienced pretty much everything together so far. It is amazing how attached you become with your online companion! As a result I have found no need or desire up to this point to have another horse. Although, I do plan to purchase a Breton if and when I can ever reach lvl 20 Bounty Hunter. 

IMO RockStar should impose SERIOUS penalties on anyone that deliberately kills another players horse. After all in the REAL Old West, the punishment was hanging for a horse thief! Perhaps a public hanging and then a "sentence" to griefer only servers until they learn their lesson would be in order!  Taking it a step further, the horse killer should have to pay the owner of the horse they killed at least double the current online cost of the horse in RDO$ as restitution. They can earn the RDO$ while they are learning their lesson on the griefer only servers!

To me it seems like many if not most griefers play RDO as though it were another version of GTAO or Fortnite. For those who want that experience in RDO let 'em have at it on servers dedicated to that type of game play!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freakshow9191 said:

You should buy another horse as a backup, and carry insurance on them. 

I have my favorite original companion too, but a backup that's better than scrawny nag, is a must.  

I have almost purchased the Collector lvl 20 Criollo several times. I may just do it thanks to your (@Feakshow9191) and other advise. Thanks!

21 hours ago, Freakshow9191 said:

Eagles: I've lost 4 full trader wagons now due to rockstar glitches. Spawning under map 3 times, and a "mission over" for no reason another. 

Turned in all 4 incidents and nothing has happened.  They don't seem to care. 

This is the response I received from Rockstar in regard to loosing my 100 goods delivery when the server crashed:

"Hello EaglesLanding53,

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support.

We understand that you have been disconnected during the long-distance delivery and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. Please be informed that we do not have an option to provide compensation for the loss due to disconnections we appreciate your understanding in this regard." 

Just yesterday I was griefed by a posse trying to deliver a wagon of goods to Van Horn. I had no intention of shooting them and when one of their scouts came over to “inspect” me, he shot me even after I tipped my hat and told him (in game chat) that I meant them no harm. 

After that, I respawned and followed them to their delivery point. Once their mission was over I started tagging all four of them with explosive rounds. They got me a couple more times as I fell back to Annesberg. 

I finally managed to kill them all in one life then led them on a merry chase across Ambarino and New Hanover, stopping along the way on various cliffs to shoot them down as they kept following me. Eventually they all got on game chat and as usual they spoke all ghetto, Billy-badass at me as I kept killing them. 

The whole chase ceased when we got across the river on the east side of West Elizabeth. I took another perch on top of a cliff and kept tagging them as they tried to cross.

Moral of the story: invest in explosive ammo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enoch said:

Just yesterday I was griefed by a posse trying to deliver a wagon of goods to Van Horn. I had no intention of shooting them and when one of their scouts came over to “inspect” me, he shot me even after I tipped my hat and told him (in game chat) that I meant them no harm. 

1 hour ago, Enoch said:

Probably playing it safe.  

I take no chances when delivering. If someone is INSIDE our mini map, and they're not turning around and headed away...then probably gonna light em up. 

I assume anyone nearby is thinking about it. Or keeping tabs on our location and guiding their posse in.  Hat tip or not.  How many times have you rode past someone thinking it's all good just to get shot in the back?  I would rather risk charges being pressed instead of losing $625.

Also, they could have been in party chat at the time, they would have never heard your game chat.  Deliveries require party chat.  Don't want the whole server knowing your game plan. 

Lastly: since you decided to use precious E-rounds to exact revenge.  I have a suggestion.   Instead of waiting for them to finish, put one round in the delivery wagons horse. Force them to hump the supplies in on horseback, causing delays and increasing their exposure time, and possibly picking off a  straggler, stealing their bag and reducing their profit and gaining materials for yourself. 

Edited by Freakshow9191

.....I don't even waste time with emotes as I choose not to even interact with randoms.  I'm usually in party chat or have everyone muted.  I treat everyone as a hostile and always keep my defenses up avoiding those that I can.

I understand where y’all are coming from. It’s a shame that the game has bred such hostility toward strangers. I guess, in a way, that’s how the real west was. I try to be in game chat as much as possible. Either to help out others or to let people know I’m not their enemy. In fact, game chat was the way I would get people to participate in duels before the spring update. It was fun getting 20 or so people to gather around on the rooftops to watch two people do a quick draw in the muddy streets of Valentine or on the dusty drag of Armadillo. 

I’ll just say this: if you’re on PS4 and happen to run across a posse called The Congregation or by me (xI_ENOCH_Ix), always expect a helping hand. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enoch said:

I understand where y’all are coming from. It’s a shame that the game has bred such hostility toward strangers. I guess, in a way, that’s how the real west was. I try to be in game chat as much as possible. Either to help out others or to let people know I’m not their enemy. In fact, game chat was the way I would get people to participate in duels before the spring update. It was fun getting 20 or so people to gather around on the rooftops to watch two people do a quick draw in the muddy streets of Valentine or on the dusty drag of Armadillo. 

I’ll just say this: if you’re on PS4 and happen to run across a posse called The Congregation or by me (xI_ENOCH_Ix), always expect a helping hand. 

Sadly I'm on Xbox, but that's a lovely sentiment.  I entirely agree with you about the game breeding mistrust of strangers.  I try to tell myself that it's lending a dollop of authenticity, but I still wish, sometimes, that there were a little more faith out there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EaglesLanding said:

IMO RockStar should impose SERIOUS penalties on anyone that deliberately kills another players horse. 

Problem with that concept is.  Players attack from their horses and constantly put their horses in harms way.  If there was a serious penalty, players would use their horses as cover when attacking.

Sometimes you need to shoot a players horse, because players ask for it.     If 3 players on horses decide to try and spawn kill you and you decided to go all dynamite arrow on their asses.  Horses are going to die, even tho you're not trying to even kill their horse.

Edited by HuDawg

14 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

.....I don't even waste time with emotes as I choose not to even interact with randoms.  I'm usually in party chat or have everyone muted.  I treat everyone as a hostile and always keep my defenses up avoiding those that I can.

Yup. You have to. I honestly don't even know how to use the emotes. 

1 hour ago, SimonTemplar said:

Sadly I'm on Xbox, but that's a lovely sentiment.  I entirely agree with you about the game breeding mistrust of strangers.  I try to tell myself that it's lending a dollop of authenticity, but I still wish, sometimes, that there were a little more faith out there.

I’m with you there, buddy. And thank you. Maybe we’ll get cross-platform play soon. That would be great. 

• Like 1

Any MMO games seem to attract the few that take their greatest pleasure in ruining someone else's day. My solution to these often involves "press charges" then "parley" as I have no intention to entertain those. You will often see me riding along and tipping the hat to random strangers. 

Don't let the bad eggs get to you, join a posse and have some fun or just explore on your own. 

I have gotten to a stage that if someone attempts to grief me, and I parley on them, I look at it as a minor momentary distraction from my longer more interesting adventure.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Enoch said:

After that, I respawned and followed them to their delivery point. Once their mission was over I started tagging all four of them with explosive rounds. They got me a couple more times as I fell back to Annesberg. 

I finally managed to kill them all in one life then led them on a merry chase across Ambarino and New Hanover, stopping along the way on various cliffs to shoot them down as they kept following me. Eventually they all got on game chat and as usual they spoke all ghetto, Billy-badass at me as I kept killing them. 

The whole chase ceased when we got across the river on the east side of West Elizabeth. I took another perch on top of a cliff and kept tagging them as they tried to cross.

Moral of the story: invest in explosive ammo. 

Just so I got this straight... you were doing a delivery, which allows thievery in the game.. then a possie successful stole your delivery?  But rather than steal it back, you waited until the mission was over before harassing them with explosive ammo? If I read that right, it definitely sounds like there was a griefer involved, though I’m not sure that label should be put on the possie doing some legitimate outlawing during the mission...

Edited by The_Liquor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BeDoomed said:

Any MMO games seem to attract the few that take their greatest pleasure in ruining someone else's day. My solution to these often involves "press charges" then "parley" as I have no intention to entertain those. You will often see me riding along and tipping the hat to random strangers. 

Don't let the bad eggs get to you, join a posse and have some fun or just explore on your own. 

I have gotten to a stage that if someone attempts to grief me, and I parley on them, I look at it as a minor momentary distraction from my longer more interesting adventure.

True, but I also enjoy it when one player (who’s innocent) outwits/outguns a gang of assholes. It’s like justice has been served. I get why sometimes you would rather leave and not deal with it, but sometimes these fools need to be put in their place so they’ll realize they can’t mess with just anyone without repercussions. 

9 minutes ago, The_Liquor said:

Just so I got this straight... you were doing a delivery, which allows thievery in the game.. then a possie successful stole your delivery?  But rather than steal it back, you waited until the mission was over before harassing them with explosive ammo? If I read that right, it definitely sounds like there was a griefer involved, though I’m not sure that label should be put on the possie doing some legitimate outlawing during the mission...

No, I spawned into the game just outside Van Horn (solo). I had not even had time to whistle for my horse before another posse’s scout came over to me while they were nearing the end of their delivery. Then he shot me without provocation. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Enoch said:

No, I spawned into the game just outside Van Horn. I had not even had time to whistle for my horse before another posse’s scout came over to me while they were nearing the end of their delivery. Then he shot me without provocation. 

Oh, ok. That’s different. That’s why I ask for clarification lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HuDawg said:

Sometimes you need to shoot a players horse, because players ask for it. 

Definitely.  

If I'm being griefed, the horse takes the first shell.  

If I'm attacking a trader wagon, escort horses are the first to go.  That being said, when the attack is over and the situation presents itself where I can revive their horse, I will, even if I get shot trying to do it. 

23 minutes ago, Enoch said:

No problem. I found it quite hilarious when they all accused me of cheating lol

So who was it exactly that was making a delivery?  The people that shot you?  

If that's the case, they may have misinterpreted the timing of your spawn near their delivery as someone suing an exploit rather than just dumb luck.  To be honest though, I still don't see that as "griefing" but simply protecting their goods if that's the case. If I saw someone suddenly appear near me while making a delivery I would have done the same thing.  

• Like 2

Yeah. You can’t be to careful these days when your out doing a mission. Personally, if someone is doing something like that, I happen to get in the way and get shot, I just let it go... on the other hand, I just might take up the challenge and see if I can’t get me some free supplies for Cripps to make me some money with...

29 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

So who was it exactly that was making a delivery?  The people that shot you?  

If that's the case, they may have misinterpreted the timing of your spawn near their delivery as someone suing an exploit rather than just dumb luck.  To be honest though, I still don't see that as "griefing" but simply protecting their goods if that's the case. If I saw someone suddenly appear near me while making a delivery I would have done the same thing.  

I mean, I was in the middle of nowhere without my horse and just had my revolvers (holstered). Not to mention the fact that there were four of them and one of me, and I was a good 200 yards from their delivery route. But to each their own. I’ll retaliate each and every time 😉

• Haha 1