Why is this not one of the horse commands?

parkenman

There is.  ......you can hitch your horse to a hitching post, tree or even the ground.  May not work in every specific location on every object but you can. 

Horses in RDR2 are meant to have more animal-like characteristics of their own rather than feeling like inanimate objects you control.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nshanny73 said:

call your horse... load carcass or whatever you need to do... get on and off horse and they will remain in place until called again

I've done that.  But why can't you L2 and have a choice that says "Stay"?

Edited by parkenman
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, nshanny73 said:

I thought both consoles would be the same commands?

Getting on and off the horse has always worked fine for myself... just learned from @Jimblobabout the LT option

I could swear there was a stag command somewhere in there... I just can’t recall exactly as I never use it... I do most of my critter killing from horseback and actually prefer he follows me while I’m gathering the skins...

Just to confirm, the Stay command is there on PC as well. Very useful, I use it regularly.

You have to be a few meters away from the horse to bring up the option, though, like Jimblob said, until the horse's name is no longer in the bottom right corner of the screen.

10 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Sometimes i wish i had a kill my horse option or able to shoot him in his head..... sometimes .......when i get angry on him.

A swift right-hook (Haymaker LOL) suffices nicely in these situations. He/She will get over it, eventually lol

• Haha 3

There is a command to have them stay as well as tie them to something. Either one works. In my experience though, sometimes the horse doesn't listen when you use the stay option and this can be down to your relationship with said horse as well as the breed.

I verified today on PS4... there is indeed a ‘stay’ on the L2 menu... but there is a catch... you have to be a step or so back from the horse and you’ll get ‘follow’ ‘stay’ or ‘flee’... if you’re too close to the horse the menu changes

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, James Hickok_1837 said:

Hah ! some time ago i was nearly killed by doing this facing my horse from behind. He kicked me and i went flying :D

Nah, my dude, you do this right on their nose, then you can sidestep away from the death-kick OR they'll just hop and run off lol. NEVER stay in the danger zones of the back or sides 😂

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 1:05 PM, The_Liquor said:

if you’re too close to the horse the menu changes

This would make sense as to why it never consistently worked for me. I never even noticed this happened. I read this yesterday and tried it out last night and you are 100% correct sir.