Is there a food thread?

watery buffalo

54 minutes ago, Truth said:

Meh. Having second thoughts... This is a HUGE commitment...

giphy.gif

23 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Fennel Seeds, yes.  But I like a little more heat with my pizza, so I eschew Italian Seasoning for something more... robust, like spicy wing dry rub or Old Bay.

That actually sounds fantastic. I'll have to try these. Especially the Old Bay. (Whenever these little gems go on sale for less than a buck a piece, I stock up and put about 10 in my deep freeze.)

By the way, congrats, Bropollo! Look who's got the gold star for the month!

https://www.rdr2.org/forums/leaderboard/ 

4 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

That actually sounds fantastic. I'll have to try these. Especially the Old Bay.

Old Bay is the duct tape of the spice rack; it can do just about anything (except dessert).

Putting a pizza in the oven?  Toss on some Old Bay!

Grilling chicken wings?  Dust them with Old Bay!

Serving dip at your next party or social function?  Blast that sucker with a spoonful of Old Bay to tantalize the taste buds!

Kebabs?  MORE OLD BAY!!!!

Herr's sells chips, cheese puffs, and cheese curls absolutely smothered in the stuff, and every time the local discount chain gets them in (Herr's isn't local in Northeast Ohio), I buy them by the case.

By the way, congrats, Bropollo! Look who's got the gold star for the month!

https://www.rdr2.org/forums/leaderboard/ 

I don't know whether to be proud of the accomplishment, ashamed at how much time I spend here, or a strange combination of both.  You know what will help me sort through this important decision? Orange Mocha Frappachino some fries seasoned with Old Bay.

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2018 at 9:09 AM, Cokeyskunk said:

Still waiting for these pictures with baited breath!

I'll have updated pics next Friday.  Going all out for the last birthday before 40, when my diet will ostensibly switch over from cured meats and beer to kale and filtered water.

So, I'm going to the West Side Market and picking up the works: Pastrami, uncured bacon, three kinds of pepperoni, Hungarian hot peppers (made by actual Hungarians), prosciutto, hand-made pizza sauce and buffalo mozzarella (I make my own dough because I want it the way I like it).

THAT will be the one I take plenty of pictures of--including the bacon weave.  Already have the day off of work, so I may even work in one of my Fireball laced Granny Smith Apple Pies.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I make my own dough because I want it the way I like it

How do you like it?

1 minute ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Fireball laced Granny Smith Apple Pies.

Hate fireball, but that sounds delicious (I also feel like you've brought this up before).

Also just realized we've been talking on forums for a year (give or take). Holy sh*t @BropolloCreed79, @Cokeyskunk, @TheHansonGoons, @Freddie Mercury, @NthnButAGoodTime.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I'll have updated pics next Friday.  Going all out for the last birthday before 40, when my diet will ostensibly switch over from cured meats and beer to kale and filtered water.

So, I'm going to the West Side Market and picking up the works: Pastrami, uncured bacon, three kinds of pepperoni, Hungarian hot peppers (made by actual Hungarians), prosciutto, hand-made pizza sauce and buffalo mozzarella (I make my own dough because I want it the way I like it).

THAT will be the one I take plenty of pictures of--including the bacon weave.  Already have the day off of work, so I may even work in one of my Fireball laced Granny Smith Apple Pies.

Wait - am I reading you right, @BropolloCreed79?? After you hit 40, you're giving up cured meats and beer??!

ae3.gif

1 hour ago, Truth said:

Hate fireball, but that sounds delicious (I also feel like you've brought this up before).

Oh, Fireball is disgusting as a drink, but I was out of cinnamon one time when I made the pie, and had some left over from a party.  The apples soak up the flavor better than a powder, and the alcohol cooks off, leaving an amazing balance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Oh, Fireball is disgusting as a drink, but I was out of cinnamon one time when I made the pie, and had some left over from a party.  The apples soak up the flavor better than a powder, and the alcohol cooks off, leaving an amazing balance.

Is it spicy? (I have kids)

Just now, Cokeyskunk said:

Is it spicy? (I have kids)

Depends on how much you put in.

Cinnamon works.  I have two kids under 10 myself, which usually means two pies.  One for me and Mrs. Creed, and one for the boys that is Fireball free that they eat for breakfast for a week.

Cold Apple Pie and hot black coffee.  I'd drown a sackfull of kittens for that combination.

@BropolloCreed79 I'm going to have to try my hand at making pie this weekend...

And I'll make @Cokeyskunk's special Totino's pizza soon. I made some baked mostaccioli last night, so I have a couple more days of food I need to eat lol

Edit: Although, I did get another Screamin Sicilian holy pepperoni loaded pan that's calling my name... You guys hear it?

Edited by Truth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Fish can be bacon.

I call BULLSH*T!!!

BACON can be bacon. Not turkey. Not fish. Bacon. Just bacon.

1 hour ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

ASK ME HOW!

How?

Edited by Truth

4 hours ago, Truth said:

I call BULLSH*T!!!

BACON can be bacon. Not turkey. Not fish. Bacon. Just bacon.

Here is my challenge. Buy a single bag of frozen swai (cheap fish. it's in the catfish family). On a morning you're feeling frisky, throw some oil in a pan and heat it up. Just before you toss the fish in the oil, throw some butter in. Season that frozen slab generously, then slap it into the pan (Gently! Hot oil!). Flip it like you would bacon. When it's done, it's delicious. Put it on the biscuit I'm going to tell you how to make. Eat it on the side. Eat it with some grits. Eat it with some corn bread. Eat it with oatmeal. I don't care. I'm not your mother.

4 hours ago, Truth said:

How?

HOW

Good biscuits are comprised of four key ingredients: self-rising flour, shortening (or lard), buttermilk (no, your suggestion won't cut it, it has to be buttermilk), and paying attention to frickin' directions. You can cut it down to 3 if you use Bisquick or make your own Bisquick substitute.

Let's rewind for a minute. The formula for Bisquick was discovered when some guy stole the recipe from a chef on a train. It's just shortening mixed into self-rising flour at roughly 6 parts flour to 1 part shortening. You can do lard, but you're going to have to freeze or refrigerate it. You got a knack for experimentation? Shake up the ratios. Whatever.

Back to the present. You have to listen to your dough. Handle it too much, you're going to make it tougher, handle it too little, you're fine but it'll be stickier trying to get it on a pan. That's fine for drop biscuits, I'm more of a rolled biscuit guy myself.

Let's rewind again. "@NthnButAGoodTime," you might say, "I'm not going to use buttermilk for anything else, it's going to go bad before I use it again." Look, you may not realize this, but when it comes to buttermilk, the 'sell by' date doesn't mean the same as regular milk. Buttermilk. Will. Keep. For. Months. Until that stuff climbs out of the fridge and talks to you, it's still fine [citation needed]. 

Now your fourth (or third) ingredient. Google "Bisquick Biscuit Recipe". Use that as your springboard. Make a few batches. You'll perfect it in no time. Then you can start experimenting with what properties you want. Fluffier? More shortening. Moister? (more moist?) Slightly more buttermilk or introduce cold butter or mayonnaise. More dry or stiffer? Reverse the other things.

Oversimplification: self-rising flour, shortening, buttermilk, a recipe that only calls for those (or use Bisquick and Bisquick's recipe). Nail that, and then experiment from there. Easy!

Edited by NthnButAGoodTime
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Fish can be bacon.

He's right, @Truth.  I saw Jeremy Clarkson do it on The Grand Tour.

Besides, I'd take a cut of ahi tuna (pan seared but raw inside) over bacon any day of the week.  It's only deficiency is that it doesn't work in stromboli.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Benjo said:

What about fishing.... on a video game

Sounds dumb, but I'm sure I've played worse.

Edit: @Benjo I just realized you were likely referring to RDR2. Fishing in a game like this is different. I was thinking of those stupid fishing games where fishing is the main focus (or one of 2 main focuses).

Edited by Truth

13 hours ago, NthnButAGoodTime said:

Oversimplification: self-rising flour, shortening, buttermilk, a recipe that only calls for those (or use Bisquick and Bisquick's recipe). Nail that, and then experiment from there. Easy!

First, I love that you tagged yourself in your recipe.

Second, you're going to have to tolerate my questions, including some about substitutions:

• I am a rather fastidious detractor of shortening, and I've never used lard in anything. I almost always use an equivalent (or more) of butter when a recipe calls for shortening. Will that work?
  • When I get recipes calling for buttermilk, I put lemon juice or white wine vinegar in regular milk, which is supposed to be "the equivalent," but is actually called "soured milk". Do you agree with this substitution?
  • Do you use a cutter or a cup/glass to shape them, or do you just tear off pieces?

I have not yet perfected the "from scratch" biscuit. Will be glad to try.