I think I found an anti grief measure already in game

madfretter

So, last night I was helping a friend, new to online, get set up and make some cash . We went hunting and dropped two *** deer. We loaded them up and went to the butcher. He sold his and I then dropped the *** buck from my horse  on the ground. He picked it up, put it on his horse and sold it, but said it was only a *.  Then I went to sell some fish I noticed that I had the *** buck  in my inventory. So it seems that the game lowers stolen pelts/carcasses  to * and keeps it in your inventory  at *** for you to sell. 

1 hour ago, Euphoric77 said:

Not sure if you can consider this anti grief - more anti boost other accounts. You both can still be shot whenever :P

Yea, could be either way I guess... It's more of a deterrent to stop griefers from farming the butchers for cash

19 minutes ago, madfretter said:

Yea, could be either way I guess... It's more of a deterrent to stop griefers from farming the butchers for cash

Stealing hunting carcasses could could be a reason to grief, I think most griefers would more likely do it just to be an easy kill.  

I read online and the person who posted didn't say which butcher, but there is one where a player can climb on top of a building and set there all day long and you won't see him from the butcher shop.  Yet he can kill player after player.  He said at one point, got the whole town going cause he started sniping players and they figured it had to be one of the ones near by.  They just started shooting each other, when that happened the NPCs started shooting everyone.  He just sat back and laughed.  When I asked what was so fun about that, his response was it made me laugh and no one even came looking for me.

6 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Stealing hunting carcasses could could be a reason to grief, I think most griefers would more likely do it just to be an easy kill.  

I read online and the person who posted didn't say which butcher, but there is one where a player can climb on top of a building and set there all day long and you won't see him from the butcher shop.  Yet he can kill player after player.  He said at one point, got the whole town going cause he started sniping players and they figured it had to be one of the ones near by.  They just started shooting each other, when that happened the NPCs started shooting everyone.  He just sat back and laughed.  When I asked what was so fun about that, his response was it made me laugh and no one even came looking for me.

Totally.I constantly check the map when I'm hunting to see which shop I'm going to. If I see someone at a butcher for more than like 3 minutes I just snipe them on the guess that they are there waiting for someone to kill.

madfretter, you're the problem. We're not all like that, some of us stand around for 10 minutes because we've forgotten what we're doing, or we're watching the feckin sun set! then some mad fretter comes up and shoots us in the head...

You're the problem.

10 hours ago, pistolballistic said:

still it doesn't matter about the fact that the pelt they stole lost its value for them to continue to sell. It's the fact the you lost the pelt. they need to add an actual passive mode like in Gta. except you get to keep weapons but not shoot other players

That's what I'm saying.... I DIDN"T lose the carcass. It let him sell it at a 1* but it still kept it in my inventory at 3***.  We went there with 2 deer, but 3 got sold. That being said, I totally agree there needs to be private lobbies and a passive mode.

Edited by madfretter

11 hours ago, pistolballistic said:

they need to add an actual passive mode like in Gta. 

Why?

So griefers can pop in and out of passive when it suits them?

We need invite only lobbies.. Free Aim lobbies and maybe actual friendly lobbies.

None of this in between stuff.

20 hours ago, cory206 said:

madfretter, you're the problem. We're not all like that, some of us stand around for 10 minutes because we've forgotten what we're doing, or we're watching the feckin sun set! then some mad fretter comes up and shoots us in the head...

You're the problem.

.....why would you even be standing right next to a butcher to do that?

If I'm going to be idle, I get out of the area, go to a post office, etc. for my own safety and the courtesy of others by showing I'm not a threat.

21 hours ago, cory206 said:

You're the problem.

Dude, just because you have the focus of a squirrel  on  meth doesn't mean I'm willing to take that into account when I'm trying to avoid griefers while farming.  So do us all a favor and the next time you decide to wax poetic about the * badger pelt you just sold, do it away from the  butcher.

2 minutes ago, cory206 said:

I wasn't telling you what you do, I was telling you what I do. It's fine. Just remember you shoot people who are no threat to you too.

.....and I was merely saying what I do as a common courtesy to fellow non-griefers who want to get to the butcher to see their goods and to avoid being shot myself.  

IMO, if you're just loitering around the butcher trying to figure out your crap for 10 minutes, you're asking to be a target but then again, I'm also considering my fellow non-griefers too who may feel nervous that it's an ambush.

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

.....why would you even be standing right next to a butcher to do that?

If I'm going to be idle, I get out of the area, go to a post office, etc. for my own safety and the courtesy of others by showing I'm not a threat.

Exactly right Kean. People that play like this are the easy marks that breed and encourage griefers. If you feel the need to stand around, at least do it in a store or somewhere away from people.

Edited by madfretter

3 minutes ago, madfretter said:

Exactly right Kean. People that play like this are the easy marks that breed and encourage griefers. If you feel the need to stand around, at least do it in a store.

....store, saloon or my favorite, the post office if I'm in town since you're protected.  If I'm not out alone in the wild or in camp, that's where I do my inventory assessments, catalogue browsing, etc.

I'm not going to bust someone's balls for taking a precaution by shooting a camper at a known griefing spot.  

2 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

....store, saloon or my favorite, the post office if I'm in town since you're protected.  If I'm not out alone in the wild or in camp, that's where I do my inventory assessments, catalogue browsing, etc.

I'm not going to bust someone's balls for taking a precaution by shooting a camper at a known griefing spot.  

When I first started rdrO  I did exactly what Cory is suggesting, giving people the benefit of the doubt , just riding into town and trying to sell. And without fail, half the time I'd get shot as I approached or lasso'd or whatever nonsense the small mind came up with. Until they add private lobbies (which, they will) we all have to assume anyone that idles near hot spots in the game is doing so for the purpose of killing you. Now, if someone is walking near me or riding through town with no weapons drawn, I'm good, I'll take that risk.  But besides that, I have to assume you're up to no go. A smart griefer always tries to blend in so you're not expecting it.

25 minutes ago, madfretter said:

When I first started rdrO  I did exactly what Cory is suggesting, giving people the benefit of the doubt , just riding into town and trying to sell. And without fail, half the time I'd get shot as I approached or lasso'd or whatever nonsense the small mind came up with. Until they add private lobbies (which, they will) we all have to assume anyone that idles near hot spots in the game is doing so for the purpose of killing you. Now, if someone is walking near me or riding through town with no weapons drawn, I'm good, I'll take that risk.  But besides that, I have to assume you're up to no go. A smart griefer always tries to blend in so you're not expecting it.

yup, and a little observation on the big map can tell you a lot about the likely intention of other players.

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

It's an outlaw game, what do you crybabies expect.  Go play Mario cart.

....go figure. He's a troll in the game and forums. Cool thing here is that I can just stick these tools on my ignore list like I do in game with the block feature on PSN.  ....buh bye.

• Like 1

One thing I do take from RL into RDR is taking responsibility for my actions. I stand around sometimes, so I get shot as a result, I take that risk. Other people shoot people *without provocation* they decide are griefers, but refuse to see that they are the very problem they come on here to complain about. Some self-awareness is called for, that's all.

(and btw, I don't think griefers are a problem, just a nuisance like we find everywhere, I accept them as part of the 'social' in gaming)

6 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I'm also considering my fellow non-griefers too who may feel nervous that it's an ambush.

You miss my point Kean, I'm one of your fellow non-griefers, but if I'm getting shot for doing nothing, then it's by a griefer who possibly thinks they're also a non-griefer, see what I mean?

Simple rule: don't shoot pinks EVER, unless: they shot first, or it's a series match, or they're trying to interfere with a mission, or they are messing with you in an obvious and harmful manner.

I never shoot loiterers pre-emptively.

I'm not saying it's never justified, for instance I don't hang around on the roof near the butchers in St Denis with a rifle in my hand, and if I did then yes, take me out, but I've been there, I know where I mean and if you know you've been there too, know what I mean? And everyone's idea of loitering is different, I'm loitering right now as I write this. If I pass someone's limit of two minutes then I'm at risk of being alerted by a shot to the head, I know it, but I just don't want people to think I'm the griefer, when they're the ones going around summarily executing innocent bystanders. It's all relative, but we do what we do by choice.

I'm really not trying to get at anyone here. Maybe I'm annoyed at the (other) posts I read in here from people so out to attack the game for things that are entirely under the players' control. 

7 hours ago, cory206 said:

Ok, I'll put it plainer. If you go around shooting people you have decided are griefers, then you Kean are a griefer. It's ok, you're part of the game, I just think people should own their actions.

....but who said I (Kean) was going around shooting anyone without provocation?  I simply said I wouldn't bust his balls for shooting someone loitering right at the butchers stand.  ....and he said 3 minutes but in your own words you've done it for 10 minutes. That's just asking for trouble and its a little rude IMO as others may feel that they have to travel elsewhere to sell their skins, meat , etc. to avoid a confrontation. This is where you don't understand what I'm saying.

Again, as I said before, I do my business with the butcher and move on to a spot that doesn't make me appear like I'm going to ambush anyone and is safe for me if I'm going to loiter.  .....but that's just me.

Call it whatever you want you call it but I don't see someone like Fretter taking out a suspected troll in a well known spot for trolling as a griefer.  Not what I would do personally in that situation but I'm also not going to loiter to make someone like him feel threatened nor am I going to bust his balls about how he said he handles the situation here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nomad said:

It's an outlaw game, what do you crybabies expect.  Go play Mario cart.

How can I compete with such brutal bad assery?

I imagine that if Mario Kart was online, and you were on, you'd just find ways to ruin the fun for little kids.  I don't think the game matters, does it?  Would I be wrong if I suggested that you troll people, or take advantage of exploits, on any game - from FIFA to Minecraft?

Sorry Kean, bit of stray crossfire there... s'ok, I've probably said enough on the subject, I guess I chewed on a bit after being accused of having "the focus of a squirrel  on  meth" and "wax(ing) poetic about the * badger pelt you just sold"... it hurt a bit, cos you don't get to Level 42 of the game on 1* badger pelts alone, that's all...