The Varmint Rilfe is not the BEST weapon for PVP

HuDawg

From Youtubers to other websites..  And even in game.  

I constantly see people telling others that the Varmint Rifle is good for pvp.  And its not true.  The Varmint Rifle is just useful for getting head shots in pvp modes due to crappy spawns and people constantly running toward objectives.  Especially against newbies..

But once you get your cards upgraded and use the cards that best suit your play style.  While also understanding how the guns work. With ducking and when to use rapid fire. Varmint rifle users are just easy targets.    Especially in free roam pvp where the threat of being shot in the back by someone who just spawned every few seconds is not existent.

Edited by HuDawg

I don't even own the Varmint Rifle.  My current favorites are the Lancaster (Yellow Boy) and pump action shotgun.  .....and my two Schofields of course.

I've heard and seen (especially trolls) using the varmint rifle but I never missed it.  I will buy it at some point but right now I'm focusing on making it to lvl 31 for the Express ammo.  My next weapon will be the lever action shotgun and then maybe the Litchfield (Henry) or Springfield.  I've already got the Bolt Action and Rolling Block rifles.  .....the latter I'm getting pretty proficient at for distant take downs even though there is no auto aim with it.

I'm still torn on the semi auto shotgun.  

10 minutes ago, TinkerbeLsophie said:

so am rank 52 is the springfield rifle any good in pvp then as i use the varmint rifle and my cards all the time am like a walking derstory so is it worth buying as i have the bolt 

Like  I said, I use the Springfield and I'm level 53. It "*****" faster than the bolt action and is more powerful. I couple it with damage buff ability cards like winning streak and peak condition.

Edit: the censored word is c o c k s.

Edited by Vaderspupil

The Varmint rifle is OP as that everyone should have it for hunting. If you do not have it , you are missing out on a lot of USD. I never do PVP modes and FOr PVP in free roam i run with the lancaster repeater / pump shotty / and 2 mausers (all with special ammo) or 2 sawed offs / sniper and repeater.

I tend to not attack anyone , however if posse members / myself or my horse get shot or shot at the time has come to equip the dynamite arrows. got a tripple kill with it yesterday and flying corpses look fun.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HuDawg said:

From Youtubers to other websites..  And even in game.  

I constantly see people telling others that the Varmint Rifle is good for pvp.  And its not true.  The Varmint Rifle is just useful for getting head shots in pvp modes due to crappy spawns and people constantly running toward objectives.  Especially against newbies..

But once you get your cards upgraded and use the cards that best suit your play style.  While also understanding how the guns work. With ducking and when to use rapid fire. Varmint rifle users are just easy targets.    Especially in free roam pvp where the threat of being shot in the back by someone who just spawned every few seconds is not existent.

I tried this out. The shorter time to sight was noticeable,  but I found myself burning through ammo. I'll stick with my litch for big maps and duel wield sawed off/schoefield for close 1/4's

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:15 AM, madfretter said:

I tried this out. The shorter time to sight was noticeable,  but I found myself burning through ammo. I'll stick with my litch for big maps and duel wield sawed off/schoefield for close 1/4's

Well I can say this.

Focus fire + Unblinking Eye can make dead eye last for like 2 mins+.   And every shot is dead accurate.   It means I can run full throttle and aim.. and head shot someone quicker than a varmint rifle can normally tighten its aim .    And throwing crouch into the mix screws with varmint rifle users even more.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:07 AM, HuDawg said:

Well I can say this.

Focus fire + Unblinking Eye can make dead eye last for like 2 mins+.   And every shot is dead accurate.   It means I can run full throttle and aim.. and head shot someone quicker than a varmint rifle can normally tighten its aim .    And throwing crouch into the mix screws with varmint rifle users even more.

Gonna need to unlock me those...lol

On 1/4/2019 at 4:48 PM, Vaderspupil said:

Like  I said, I use the Springfield and I'm level 53. It "*****" faster than the bolt action and is more powerful. I couple it with damage buff ability cards like winning streak and peak condition.

Edit: the censored word is c o c k s.

rly? the bolt action has higher ROF and better accuracy.  all for a minimal damage  difference.  With teir 3  dead eye damage, horseman, landens, peak condition (all tier 3) the Springfield still isnt 1-shotting with anything other than a headshot.....

my opinion on the varmint rifle is its cancer.  clearly not working as intended

12 minutes ago, Wwkingms said:

rly? the bolt action has higher ROF and better accuracy.  all for a minimal damage  difference.  With teir 3  dead eye damage, horseman, landens, peak condition (all tier 3) the Springfield still isnt 1-shotting with anything other than a headshot.....

my opinion on the varmint rifle is its cancer.  clearly not working as intended

I don't like the longer delay for the bolt action to load the bullet into the chamber. Getting that first shot off is key for me. I aim for the head and if I miss, I have a better chance of slowing them down with the more powerful shot.

36 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

I don't like the longer delay for the bolt action to load the bullet into the chamber. Getting that first shot off is key for me. I aim for the head and if I miss, I have a better chance of slowing them down with the more powerful shot.

im confused because i think you can squeeze off rounds faster in the bolt action, in fact i know you can. and if my rifle is out i always have one in the chamber, make it a habit

Edited by Wwkingms

12 hours ago, Wwkingms said:

im confused because i think you can squeeze off rounds faster in the bolt action, in fact i know you can. and if my rifle is out i always have one in the chamber, make it a habit

Sorry, but I'm afraid you won't be able to convince me. I've used both rifles extensively  and the Springfield just feels so much better in my hands. It's pretty much a moot point anyway. Now that I'm level 57, I don't feel the need to rank up as much and that was my main reason for doing pvp.

I owned players all day with the varmit rifle and pretty much used it exclusively as my pvp go-to gun until around level 50. You are right that against players with upgraded cards like "slow and steady" and "never without one" it becomes pretty much useless but I can still MVP nearly every Most Wanted match using nothing but varmit. I use the Lancaster Repeater now that players across the board are higher levels now but you CANT say VR is no good for PVP.  If your not using slow and steady ill own you everytime.

12 minutes ago, RED_DEADMAN said:

If your not using slow and steady ill own you everytime.

Even without Slow and Steady or Never without One.      Someone who goes full glass cannon style can drop someone faster than they can aim the VR.   

That gun is only good for killing newbies in Showdown.  Which any gun can do.

I mean.. at medium range for example.  A Double Action is faster than a VR for headshots.

20 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Even without Slow and Steady or Never without One.      Someone who goes full glass cannon style can drop someone faster than they can aim the VR.   

That gun is only good for killing newbies in Showdown.  Which any gun can do.

I mean.. at medium range for example.  A Double Action is faster than a VR for headshots.

No sir. Id be happy to demonstrate its effectiveness to you in a 1v1. My PSN is RED_DEADMAN.   Especially no ability cards equipped. Ill have drawn and put a round into your head before you've even lifted a double action.

5 minutes ago, RED_DEADMAN said:

No sir. Id be happy to demonstrate its effectiveness to you in a 1v1. My PSN is RED_DEADMAN.   Especially no ability cards equipped. Ill have drawn and put a round into your head before you've even lifted a double action.

Ability cards are a part of the game.

And im on xbox.   

Sorry but you can't out draw a Double Action.. especially with Dead Eye active.    And that's not even the point.

Even if I let you have the 1st shot. I can still crouch and kill you with body shots before you can land a head shot.

I give zero shits about a VR.  For good reason.     Its not the fastest gun for head shots and its the worst gun for body shots.

Edited by HuDawg

On 1/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, Vaderspupil said:

I can see the appeal of the VR. The rapid fire rate allows you to get multiple shots off quickly but you'd better make sure you hit the head or else you're screwed. Personally I like my trusty Springfield.

The Springfield fire rate & reload speed seem a bit slow for my preference. Do you find the extra damage worth the trade off vs using a bolt action?

3 minutes ago, Gunther said:

The Springfield fire rate & reload speed seem a bit slow for my preference. Do you find the extra damage worth the trade off vs using a bolt action?

The extra amount of damage is so marginal that its irrelevant but I still prefer the springfield to be honest. For pvp, I rarely use a rifle unless they are unreachable with the Lancaster. Lancaster is the best gun in the game. IMO. The Litchfield looks better on paper but the stats don't translate to gameplay. If you haven't tried the Lancaster then id highly recommend.