RDR Online is getting really sad!

YodaMan 3D

Signed in several times this weekend and it was close to impossible to find anyone to run with.  Several posses already on and most of them doing their thing and ignored communication when I asked if  they had room.  Now some of them started griefing soon as I made contact.  Xbox club, even though players requesting help, they never responded.  To top it off seems like there is less and less people playing it right now.  Does anyone know the numbers?

When my other posse members aren't on I prefer to lone wolf it. I'll initiate party chat so I don't have to listen to the crap spewing out if the mouths of the other players and just go on my merry way hunting and fishing. Griefers don't intimidate me. Even if I'm outnumbered, I'll fight back and I'll hold my own. I hate it when I receive posse invites from randoms I don't know.

5 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

When my other posse members aren't on I prefer to lone wolf it. I'll initiate party chat so I don't have to listen to the crap spewing out if the mouths of the other players and just go on my merry way hunting and fishing. Griefers don't intimidate me. Even if I'm outnumbered, I'll fight back and I'll hold my own. I hate it when I receive posse invites from randoms I don't know.

Good news there.  I don't know what playform you are on and I don't know your GT.  

It's not surprising.  The Beta has been active for almost a month at this point, and without having clear expectation of what (if anything) is going to change, there's little motivation for players to become invested.  

It'd be one thing if a player or permanent posse could pool funds and purchase buildings for sale to operate as a base that could be upgraded, or have a goal to work towards other than simply "ranking up", but as it stands now, there's no true endgame.  

There's no instances/dungeons for the  RPG crowd

No personalized customization other than a camp and clothing.

There's nothing elusive and tangible for players to chase.  The only thing is ranking up, and with the forced PvP element, a player can't grind in peace, so there's no incentive for casuals or PvE players to stick it out until something is implemented that is more in-line with the experience they want from the game.  

Players need to be able to purchase or commission a hunting cabin/lodge/farm/whatever and work towards furnishing it.  I should be able to hunt a legendary buck and mount it's head on the wall of my Evil Dead-inspired cabin overlooking a river.  Instead, I have to be aggrieved by trolls and work towards.... a new hat?  Nobody wants that experience, that's why nobody is playing.  Like it or not, the casual PvE crowd is going to be larger for this game in terms of player volume than the PvP crowd.

Having the open world be a PvP slaughterhouse doesn't segregate the players who want nothing to do with that style of play, so there's yet another reason to stay offline.

What they should look at is the ESO model, which has literally everything this game needs to retain a robust player base that will spend money.  There are other solutions, but right now, the online play is severely lacking unless you're into PvP.  Give us something to work towards and let us do it in peace if we choose to do so, or collaboratively without being hassled by cretins.  If I want PvP gameplay, I'll fire up The Division and head to the Dark Zone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Signed in several times this weekend and it was close to impossible to find anyone to run with.  Several posses already on and most of them doing their thing and ignored communication when I asked if  they had room.  Now some of them started griefing soon as I made contact.  Xbox club, even though players requesting help, they never responded. 

The beta has sure out worn its welcome.    

But the game is still packed with players..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vaderspupil said:

I'm on PS4. GT is the same as my username here, Vaderspupil. I believe you're Xbox aren't  you?

Yes, I am on Xbox.  So I guess you are safe.  :)

I usually try to send a message to ask if a person needs or wants help before I just join.   Some players get locked into something and don't want others from the outside.  I have one friend on my list, that he plays almost all games with a preferred group, and if you just join, either he or their leader will kick you and none will say a word.  I try to respect that.

34 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

The beta has sure out worn its welcome.    

But the game is still packed with players..

I suppose I'd better buckle down then on the story mode and actually play some of the missions.  I'm STILL in Chapter 3 

Spoiler

And just finished robbing the bank in Valentine last night before burning the Grey's fields

so I'm pretty sure I still have a LONG ways to go.

The good news is, I've finished a lot of the challenges and at some point, I suppose I'll power through, but I really want that 100% completion, so I tend to get through it slower than I probably should.

The horror stories from online beta don't exactly serve as inspiration to get me to finish quicker.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BurbonChaser said:

Single player was awesome, started a second play through.

I'm almost at that point. I played online a bit over the weekend, but story mode was way better. Not much to do after 100% though.

17 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

The good news is, I've finished a lot of the challenges and at some point, I suppose I'll power through, but I really want that 100% completion, so I tend to get through it slower than I probably should.

Save something for the endgame!

57 minutes ago, Truth said:

Save something for the endgame!

Oh, for the life of me, I just seem to be completely incapable of finishing the one shooting challenge that requires you to disarm three opponents without reloading.  There's a trail of one-armed Lemyone and O'Driscolls from Valentine to Saint Denis, but they never let go of the gun.

I've started walking through the piles of corpses and blowing their heads off in frustration after the fact.

1 minute ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Oh, for the life of me, I just seem to be completely incapable of finishing the one shooting challenge that requires you to disarm three opponents without reloading.  There's a trail of one-armed Lemyone and O'Driscolls from Valentine to Saint Denis, but they never let go of the gun.

I've started walking through the piles of corpses and blowing their heads off in frustration after the fact.

I had some trouble with that one as well. Tip:

Spoiler

Try it in Van Horn.

I went through several gang camps before I gave in and looked it up. Turns out they actually seem to have a stronger grip on their guns.

I got it on my first try in Van Horn, just before being blown to bits by the other 15 people shooting at me.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I did that one after completing the story in Fort Mercer. I think it's a gang hideout cuz they're all hostile and always respawn after leaving and returning. Just had to piss them off and wait for enough to gather in the entrance. Seems easier to do with the people carrying rifles.

I've somewhat lost interest in online. I'll still hop on every once in a while and do some missions, hunting etc., but since it's not officially out of beta, the rest of the missions and features arent available yet so not as interested in the grind right now. Only 41 right now, probably wont break 50 for another month if it's still gonna be beta then

Edited by KRooKeD KRoW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Signed in several times this weekend and it was close to impossible to find anyone to run with.  Several posses already on and most of them doing their thing and ignored communication when I asked if  they had room.  Now some of them started griefing soon as I made contact.  Xbox club, even though players requesting help, they never responded.  To top it off seems like there is less and less people playing it right now.  Does anyone know the numbers?

Really sad? If by that you mean dealing with randoms in sessions then yeah, I might agree.  .....but then again, I don't subject myself to that kind of torture nor would I expect anything good to come from it in most instances if I do.  If I do meet someone by pure chance in game, befriend them and have a good time, it is a rarity.  Most other times I find many of the folks in sessions simply don't want to have anything to do with you likely because they are wary of strangers and their intentions.  Most folks I come across are simply passing through, doing their own business, etc.  They will usually provide me with a wide berth, etc. and I afford the same courtesy.

As far as open posses, some folks make them "open" by accident.  I've had friends that have done this as well and were surprised when someone joins in.   ......quickly kicking them out with no explanation since we are on an external channel. 

IME, sessions have been absolutely loaded with players.  .....tons of new ones as well.  I proactively block a lot of players (I mean a lot) and if it's any indication, I have never come across the same ones in new sessions (as I would expect I wouldn't if the block feature is working).  I highly doubt player variety has anything to do with your issues.  To be frank, I think your problem (IMO / IME) is trying to matchmake and meet total strangers in the game.  

Personally, I would recommend starting or joining a posse here on RDR2.org.  Our PS4 posse keeps growing and we're at nearly 50 players now.  My PSN Community is at 35 members.  Even with these number there is no guarantee you'll find people to play with every time you're on but I still get to play at least 2-3 times a week with others in the group.  Just had a blast last night with two old friends and then a new one from here later that night.  We had a group of 3 all session.  

I also have another PSN friend I met in game who always has at least 5 people already in his posse.  It's not uncommon for us to have a full 7 people when I ride with him.  

Maybe XB1 is different but I find networking outside of RDO is a far better way of making new in-game friends than within the game itself.  .....and once you do find folks to play with, the game can be a lot more fun.  I don't even mind it playing solo but with friends is more enjoyable.

If I were to try and meet new people through the game I would probably try to do it with story missions.  Although a lot of folks prefer not to have a mic on for some reason, sometimes you get lucky.  .....and working together in a mission could be the ice breaker you need to ask to team up.

If you were on PS4, I would invite you to team up together.

13 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Really sad? If by that you mean dealing with randoms in sessions then yeah, I might agree.  .....but then again, I don't subject myself to that kind of torture nor would I expect anything good to come from it in most instances if I do.  If I do meet someone by pure chance in game, befriend them and have a good time, it is a rarity.  Most other times I find many of the folks in sessions simply don't want to have anything to do with you likely because they are wary of strangers and their intentions.  Most folks I come across are simply passing through, doing their own business, etc.  They will usually provide me with a wide berth, etc. and I afford the same courtesy.

As far as open posses, some folks make them "open" by accident.  I've had friends that have done this as well and were surprised when someone joins in.   ......quickly kicking them out with no explanation since we are on an external channel. 

IME, sessions have been absolutely loaded with players.  .....tons of new ones as well.  I proactively block a lot of players (I mean a lot) and if it's any indication, I have never come across the same ones in new sessions (as I would expect I wouldn't if the block feature is working).  I highly doubt player variety has anything to do with your issues.  To be frank, I think your problem (IMO / IME) is trying to matchmake and meet total strangers in the game.  

Personally, I would recommend starting or joining a posse here on RDR2.org.  Our PS4 posse keeps growing and we're at nearly 50 players now.  My PSN Community is at 35 members.  Even with these number there is no guarantee you'll find people to play with every time you're on but I still get to play at least 2-3 times a week with others in the group.  Just had a blast last night with two old friends and then a new one from here later that night.  We had a group of 3 all session.  

I also have another PSN friend I met in game who always has at least 5 people already in his posse.  It's not uncommon for us to have a full 7 people when I ride with him.  

Maybe XB1 is different but I find networking outside of RDO is a far better way of making new in-game friends than within the game itself.  .....and once you do find folks to play with, the game can be a lot more fun.  I don't even mind it playing solo but with friends is more enjoyable.

If I were to try and meet new people through the game I would probably try to do it with story missions.  Although a lot of folks prefer not to have a mic on for some reason, sometimes you get lucky.  .....and working together in a mission could be the ice breaker you need to ask to team up.

If you were on PS4, I would invite you to team up together.

I find a decent variety of players as well. I haven't blocked anybody, but it's mostly because I've never been killed more than once by any one particular griefer.  Most of the people I come across, we just pass by each other, even when they outnumber me.

I haven't tried joining or inviting random players using the ingame system. So far, since the content is limited, just play with real life friends when they're on, but when I am looking for people to do things with, theres usually some LFG (looking for group) site that connects players looking to do the same activities. The posse recruitment here is good for finding long term friends, but LFG sites usually help finding someone to play with right now. You just have to use your consoles messaging system to contact them, which I myself notice more than the ingame invites.

2 hours ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

There's nothing elusive and tangible for players to chase.  The only thing is ranking up, and with the forced PvP element, a player can't grind in peace, so there's no incentive for casuals or PvE players to stick it out until something is implemented that is more in-line with the experience they want from the game.  

In my case, I play solo 2-3 times a week and I'm able to grind away with little drama.  Hell, I was able to quickly (relatively speaking) rank up doing side missions by myself including repossessions, mail runs, etc. where you are quite vulnerable and open to targeted attacks. 

When hunting or doing missions I pick a region relatively free of other players.  When selling goods I find a town with what I need that isn't populated by other players.  If there is a distance to travel, I hunt along the way to make it worth my time.

I simply avoid areas where other players congregate.  I also proactively block trolls or those who appear they may cause trouble so my future sessions might be even more peaceful.  

I will say (again) that the game is much more fun with friends simply because of the camaraderie (I like talking, joking and co-oping with others) as well the protection it affords.  When I'm with friends, I venture into areas I normally wouldn't if I were alone.   ......and strangers tend to avoid you even more.  

As far as boredom due to a lack of content, I would agree.  I'm not there yet as I still find it fun to play, but I can understand if others are.  As far as trolls, it is rare that I ever have encounters with them these days playing the way I do.

btw, the phone app is a terrific tool for situational awareness and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for added peace of mind when trying to avoid confrontations.

I extended the invitation before but if you ever decide to get on, look me up.  I'll team up with you if you want to explore the RDO world more, participate in activities, grind, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KRooKeD KRoW said:

I find a decent variety of players as well. I haven't blocked anybody, but it's mostly because I've never been killed more than once by any one particular griefer.  Most of the people I come across, we just pass by each other, even when they outnumber me.

I haven't tried joining or inviting random players using the ingame system. So far, since the content is limited, just play with real life friends when they're on, but when I am looking for people to do things with, theres usually some LFG (looking for group) site that connects players looking to do the same activities. The posse recruitment here is good for finding long term friends, but LFG sites usually help finding someone to play with right now. You just have to use your consoles messaging system to contact them, which I myself notice more than the ingame invites.

Nearly all of the folks I have blocked were not people who have griefed me.  They were simply those I had noticed showing aggression toward others or perhaps have made moves, actions that appear threatening.  I will also proactively block "dishonorable" players in posses.  .....and yeah, call it profiling but players with outrageously high levels, certain gamertags, etc. are blocked as well. 

Maybe that's part of the reason why I've found more of my sessions lately populated with folks who appear to want to just do their own thing peacefully.  ....I don't know.  When playing solo I will sometimes take a couple minutes going through the player list and blocking certain individuals who are appear (to me) to be potential threats.  When I read some of their profile descriptions, its obvious I made the right choice.

On PS4 we have PSN Communities we can create.  I find this also helps finding players to team up with who share a common interest.  .....forums obviously do as well.

16 minutes ago, Kean_1 said:

Nearly all of the folks I have blocked were not people who have griefed me.  They were simply those I had noticed showing aggression toward others or perhaps have made moves, actions that appear threatening.  I will also proactively block "dishonorable" players in posses.  .....and yeah, call it profiling but players with outrageously high levels, certain gamertags, etc. are blocked as well. 

Maybe that's part of the reason why I've found more of my sessions lately populated with folks who appear to want to just do their own thing peacefully.  ....I don't know.  When playing solo I will sometimes take a couple minutes going through the player list and blocking certain individuals who are appear (to me) to be potential threats.  When I read some of their profile descriptions, its obvious I made the right choice.

On PS4 we have PSN Communities we can create.  I find this also helps finding players to team up with who share a common interest.  .....forums obviously do as well.

Sounds like the criteria I would use to proactively block people, if I were doing that, which sometimes I do. I would also block some people just based on their name, cuz to me it shows what kinda mindset they have. It's rare that it's by name, like if its something about everyone's mom, or if they have something in their name saying they're L337, cuz they're usually not, and often annoying.

I've actually tried to be dishonorable with missions, and camping a rooftop killing cop in Saint Denis, yet because I care for my horse, get clean kills, etc, I'm apparently very honorable. The dishonorable path in some of the story missions seem to pay better, but not enough dishonor to keep me down.

There are communities like that on xbox, I haven't joined any, but again, they seem to be geared towards making long term compatriots. Those LFG sites only have people looking for someone to play with right away, so you can get a group pretty quick, it'll just be someone new each time if you dont make friends with people

Edited by KRooKeD KRoW
  • Like 1

Feel free to join our Posse, where Dutch so on EU times. We have a Englisch guy and 2 French people in the Posse. We talk Englisch and we are mature players. We helping lower rankt posse members with hunting/fishing and side missions. I have      RDR2 Online Posse Club   on the Xbox. Just send a frend invite to    johnnydope .

8 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Running with a semi large Social Club crew that is dedicated to non hostile team play and was established back then in order to provide a non hostile place in GTA. We are running together in RDR pretty much daily during EU evenings up to US nights. Weekends even more.
We team up in posses and run missions together, clear hideouts or protect our necks while hunting. If you're looking for a group to team up with, you're welcome to join us. We only expect to follow our rules and show up in Discord while playing as we want to have at least a minimal amount of communication and coordination while running together.

https://fpgl-crew.org

cadashka_RedDeadRedemption2_20190106_17-19-35.jpg

7 minutes ago, cadashka said:

Running with a semi large Social Club crew that is dedicated to non hostile team play and was established back then in order to provide a non hostile place in GTA. We are running together in RDR pretty much daily during EU evenings up to US nights. Weekends even more.
We team up in posses and run missions together, clear hideouts or protect our necks while hunting. If you're looking for a group to team up with, you're welcome to join us. We only expect to follow our rules and show up in Discord while playing as we want to have at least a minimal amount of communication and coordination while running together.

https://fpgl-crew.org

cadashka_RedDeadRedemption2_20190106_17-19-35.jpg

Maybe we can team up ? Where with a couple of frends and have a little posse to, all mature players. We do most of the time pve like side missions ,hunting\ fishing and gatering herbs. EU times.  Send me a frend invite iff you whant.  johnnydope   . You can also look at the -  RDR2 Online Posse Club  -

4 hours ago, KRooKeD KRoW said:

Sounds like the criteria I would use to proactively block people, if I were doing that, which sometimes I do. I would also block some people just based on their name, cuz to me it shows what kinda mindset they have. It's rare that it's by name, like if its something about everyone's mom, or if they have something in their name saying they're L337, cuz they're usually not, and often annoying.

I agree, some of the names are enough to warrant a block IMO.  ....and like I said, once I go into their profile to block them, there are sometimes remarks in their description of themselves that only serve to backup my suspicions that they probably like to troll other players.

One description actually said something to the effect that "if you're here, I probably slit your throat".  .....likely meaning that you are there to block them because they probably trolled you. Yeah, that one was a no-brainer.  😄

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, john013 said:

Maybe we can team up ? Where with a couple of frends and have a little posse to, all mature players. We do most of the time pve like side missions ,hunting\ fishing and gatering herbs. EU times.  Send me a frend invite iff you whant.  johnnydope   . You can also look at the -  RDR2 Online Posse Club  -

I'll DM you.