Why does PvP players feel so strongly against PvE players having a freeroam experience?

YodaMan 3D

So a friend told me about a forum he was on.  Now anytime a game allows PvEvP, PvE players often feel griefed and PvP players get offended by the request from PvE players asking for a PvE only freeroam.  Now I tried to explain from experiences and debates on the subjest, but curious.  Does it offend you as a PvP player that others want a PvE only or private servers?

I frend off my laught his balls off. He is a real pvp gamer in games like Battlefield. He is trying out RDRo now and was going in the showdown series game and did't now about the abilitycards. I told him about the cards and send him a real good setup for the cards that you can find on YouTube. When he saw that he stops playing the showdown inmediatly, said about it ( Thats realy crap, 1.the autoaim its just for noobs he told me , 2. Why the hell you need a abilitycard setup / Thats just like cheating a game he told me. Lower rankt people never have a real change to stand up/out then.)

That are words from a real diehard pvp gamer.  So whats pvp in RDRo then ? For noobs that can't aim properly / giving higher rankt people more change to win a battle because off the beter abilitycards.

I callt it big failer of R*  , messing up pve gamers by noobie's pvp gamers.

Myself like pve gaming but i have pvp abilitycards for making it easy for griefers/trolls in the freeroam.  GOODJOB R*   

(But you can buy goldbars)

I don't think PVP players see the point of PVE games as there isn't as much of a struggle. I have a love-hate relationship with PVP myself and I prefer to play in PVE games where it is you and other players vs everything else that is not player controlled. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

So a friend told me about a forum he was on.  Now anytime a game allows PvEvP, PvE players often feel griefed and PvP players get offended by the request from PvE players asking for a PvE only freeroam.  Now I tried to explain from experiences and debates on the subjest, but curious.  Does it offend you as a PvP player that others want a PvE only or private servers?

There is a thread on this forum board asking why people like to grief or something similar to that. As soon as the topic appeared, I avoided it because I felt that I knew the kind of responses that would be there.

Early New Year's Day I was recovering from New Year's Eve and I mistakenly clicked into that thread thinking that I was clicking into another. After reading some of the responses, I realized (finally) that I was in the wrong thread.

And some of the responses I read were exactly what I thought they would be.

The option to bully others is a draw for some players. I honestly feel that some PvPers don't want their pool of victims to be diminished.

The so callt pvp players in RDRo ore not real pvp players, real pvp players my frend say's it clearly. Real pvp players hate autoiam/abilitycard nonsens. This so callt pvp players are just bad in real pvp games like Battlefield and go do pvp games in this game and think they are great players, but just are winning kids. Asspecialy when a pve player ask for those pve servers or private servers they starts to cry because they can't bully no one then.  When i let my frend  with my character do the pvp like showdown in RDRo he **** them up badly because off the abilitycard i have ( i'm high rank and have the good cards). Then it becomes to easy for him he told me ,in 20min he played the showdown serie he already new the respawnpionts and he can drop people like flies. But my frend is not a person how is gaming like that.  He say's this pvp is just BS and did stop to play it and say's i'm not doing this pvp game anymore it just sucks.  I think R* specialy made de game for winning bully's instead real pve and pvp players. Like GTA5 all over again.

(But you can buy goldbars)

• Like 1

I hate the online part of this game as it is at the moment, I have decided to not continue to play the online as it is. I would play if I could PVE with a group of friends and play missions together without other people shooting me all the time. This game is not mechanically made to be PvP, it is made purely to be PVE and that is why online feels so broken. 

Edited by Minimoni
  • Like 3

I have mixed feelings about this tbh.  I've always steered away from PvP online games for a couple of reasons:

1.  I'm a bit old, slower reactions and tbf a bit s&%t.  So its difficult to get good when much better gamers kill me so quickly and its just too frustrating.

2.  I have always come into PvP games a bit late and knowing the maps etc gives a huge advantage, as does having to start out with rubbish weapons etc (yes I know you can buy gold, but after spending £50 on the game I have no intention of buying more stuff to play online)

So, in a way, I guess the auto-aim can help people like me have a chance to get started.  BUT, it also means it is too easy for ALL players (even Lvl 1-5) to get quick and easy headshots.  Whereas, now I'm getting better at aiming I would probably prefer no auto-aim making it more of a skill game.

I realise that much of the set-up of the game (skill-cards, higher level weapons etc) is designed to favour those who have levelled up, thereby encouraging newer players to spend actual cash to close the gap, and as it is about creating revenue for the developers I can see why they would do that.

So I guess it would be good to have a few servers that disabled auto-aim and maybe some PvE servers, or perhaps servers dependent on level (e.g. all players Lvl 1-20; 21-40; 40+ would be grouped in a server together) but I don't see that there is a financial argument to Rockstar/Take 2 to use resources to introduce aspects of the game that make spending money on bars redundant.

17 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Same excuse every time from most of them:

"PVE servers will ruin the game."

I'd like to amend that vague statement to: 

"PVE servers will ruin the game for me because I prefer to shoot people who aren't prepared  or  have zero interest in shooting back."

That about sums it up.  PVE lobbies won't ruin this game anymore than  having a story mode did. It's just a different section for a different way to play the game. The only thing  that will change for the PVP community is that they will now be forced to play in lobbies with people who are looking to shoot them first.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Minimoni said:

I hate the online part of this game as it is at the moment, I have decided to not continue to play the online as it is. I would play if I could PVE with a group of friends and play missions together without other people shooting me all the time. This game is not mechanically made to be PvP, it is made purely to be PVE and that is why online feels so broken. 

Join a posse it will improver game tremendously, it has for our gang we were all lone wolfs losing pelts to griefers and Rockstar, but not nowhere as many lost now

13 minutes ago, madfretter said:

Same excuse every time from most of them:

"PVE servers will ruin the game."

I'd like to amend that vague statement to: 

"PVE servers will ruin the game for me because I prefer to shoot people who aren't prepared  or  have zero interest in shooting back."

That about sums it up.  PVE lobbies won't ruin this game anymore than  having a story mode did. It's just a different section for a different way to play the game. The only thing  that will change for the PVP community is that they will now be forced to play in lobbies with people who are looking to shoot them first.

Amen! This is so spot on that it is f*****g magical. PvP players should be forced to play with their likeminded players while I and others that prefer PvE should be able to enjoy online without getting murdered all the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark4407 said:

Join a posse it will improver game tremendously, it has for our gang we were all lone wolfs losing pelts to griefers and Rockstar, but not nowhere as many lost now

I have a group of friends that wanted to play online but we all quit since PvP is no fun for us. We just do not enjoy it and if R* decides they do not want our money, whom am I to object!? I will only retry online when there is pure PvE servers that I can roam on with my friends. 

In all honesty i have done like 20 minutes of pvp showdowns and am quite high level with all cards upgraded, it is a grind but PVE players have the same chance as PVP players to get the cards maxxed and be as prepared as you can get for pvp in free roam. I honestly can understand that people want pve lobbies and personally any mission related content should be rewarded less due to the fact you have less risk in PVE compared to the current situation. The entire pvp player battlefield thing is just silly as most games on console have some sort of auto aim (be it a lot more in RDO) and lots of other "noobish" things as well.

I stated this before on this forum - everyone has the same abilities and possibilities to acquire weaponry and xp and skillsets. nother discussion is of course the griefing which also has been discussed over and over and in the end we will have to see what Rockstar does. Pure PVE environment will very likely come soon as loads of requests have reached Rockstar about this. Free aim lobbies will most likely hit the game as well, making griefing a bit less likely as well.

At the moment it is just wait and see what the game will evolve to, very likely the pvp and pve crowds will be seperated to please most people.

14 minutes ago, Euphoric77 said:

In all honesty i have done like 20 minutes of pvp showdowns and am quite high level with all cards upgraded, it is a grind but PVE players have the same chance as PVP players to get the cards maxxed and be as prepared as you can get for pvp in free roam. I honestly can understand that people want pve lobbies and personally any mission related content should be rewarded less due to the fact you have less risk in PVE compared to the current situation. The entire pvp player battlefield thing is just silly as most games on console have some sort of auto aim (be it a lot more in RDO) and lots of other "noobish" things as well.

I stated this before on this forum - everyone has the same abilities and possibilities to acquire weaponry and xp and skillsets. nother discussion is of course the griefing which also has been discussed over and over and in the end we will have to see what Rockstar does. Pure PVE environment will very likely come soon as loads of requests have reached Rockstar about this. Free aim lobbies will most likely hit the game as well, making griefing a bit less likely as well.

At the moment it is just wait and see what the game will evolve to, very likely the pvp and pve crowds will be seperated to please most people.

Not very true in my opinion, when someone starts the game with a rank 4/5 they have no chance in the showdown series. First thing they have to do is ranking up in the freeroam untill rank 40 and making the dollars voor buying and upgrading there abilitycards. The comparison of a battlefield aim and the RDRo aim is mutch bigger then you think.  When someone is a pve player and need pvp cards for in a freeroam i think you missing the point to, so why R* put in pve abilitycards then ? And why is a real pvp player saying this is to easy like this, this is just for noobs he calt it. (and he's not the only 1 that i no said this) . I think he's right about it there is little skill needed in the pvp match in RDRo. He and my brother are topscoreboard players in shooting games like battlefield for many years, if they have 10/1 k/d they have a bad day and going to do relaxing game. I think they now what real pvp means. They call this pvp in RDRo bvb  ( baby's versus baby's) (bitches versus bitches)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, john013 said:

I frend off my laught his balls off. He is a real pvp gamer in games like Battlefield. He is trying out RDRo now and was going in the showdown series game and did't now about the abilitycards. I told him about the cards and send him a real good setup for the cards that you can find on YouTube. When he saw that he stops playing the showdown inmediatly, said about it ( Thats realy crap, 1.the autoaim its just for noobs he told me , 2. Why the hell you need a abilitycard setup / Thats just like cheating a game he told me. Lower rankt people never have a real change to stand up/out then.)

The ability cards are not cheating..   I mean I hate auto aim and am dying for free aim.

But even Battlefield has perks or 'specializations'.  RDRO has cards.

19 hours ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Im a pvp player.. and I don't care if people want private lobbies.   I support private lobbies and pve lobbies. 

But I also don't go around killing players for no reason.    So this is probably why I don't care.  I don't need to cheep shot players.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

The ability cards are not cheating..   I mean I hate auto aim and am dying for free aim.

But even Battlefield has perks or 'specializations'.  RDRO has cards.

Thats right ,but they hate them asswel. It's more and more build for kids to play the game, thats why they are gaming more games like arma on pc. That they play on there xbox it's because they have kids, and showing there kids daddy's shooting skills. 

1 hour ago, Euphoric77 said:

I'm totally ok with and agree with the missions paying less if they are completed in PVE/Private lobbies.  But let's be real, shouldn't  XP gains for shooting people that are not playing PVP  be less as well? This is easy to monitor, XP only starts  once both parties have fired on each other. Because if we're nerfing money  on private lobby missions because it's less risk then we should definitely be nerfing XP for PVPrs  that shoot people who are less of a risk because they aren't shooting back.

Edited by madfretter
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, john013 said:

Thats right ,but they hate them asswel. It's more and more build for kids to play the game, thats why they are gaming more games like arma on pc. That they play on there xbox it's because they have kids, and showing there kids daddy's shooting skills. 

Meh.. I kind of like the cards.

My goal is to max all the cards out and swap them on the fly when needed.    It really messes with players.

16 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Just so I am clear, I really didn't want this to be a griefing thread.  Cause really we already have those.  I am curious on why PvP players "HATE" the idea that PvE players could have their own servers or lobbies?

Because they can't grief them in private lobbies. lol.. Seriously though, the only people complaining about this are trolls. Regular PVP players don't care about private lobbies. Sorry, had to....lol

Edited by madfretter
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, madfretter said:

Because they can't grief them in private lobbies. lol.. Seriously though, the only people complaining about this are trolls. Regular PVP players don't care about private lobbies. Sorry, had to....lol

I have friends who love PvP and have those who prefer PvE and I personally like both.  It really depends on my mood when I sign in.  Now the problem being is that often in a PvEvP.   You really can't get the 2 sides to agree on what is acceptable.  Yet in debates where a PvE zone is requested.  Some PvP players really get twisted and offended, like you just kicked their cat or their dog.  To me it's not personal and can usually see the option being viable.  Yet its does start arguments.

4 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Just so I am clear, I really didn't want this to be a griefing thread.  Cause really we already have those.  I am curious on why PvP players "HATE" the idea that PvE players could have their own servers or lobbies?

No real idea why - most likely because they do not want the "victim" base to diminish or some other silly excuse. Or because of "GIT GUD" argument.

I think most of the PVP biased players just think the players wanting PVE only environments are "whining".

35 minutes ago, john013 said:

Not very true in my opinion, when someone starts the game with a rank 4/5 they have no chance in the showdown series. First thing they have to do is ranking up in the freeroam untill rank 40 and making the dollars voor buying and upgrading there abilitycards. The comparison of a battlefield aim and the RDRo aim is mutch bigger then you think.  When someone is a pve player and need pvp cards for in a freeroam i think you missing the point to, so why R* put in pve abilitycards then ? And why is a real pvp player saying this is to easy like this, this is just for noobs he calt it. (and he's not the only 1 that i no said this) . I think he's right about it there is little skill needed in the pvp match in RDRo. He and my brother are topscoreboard players in shooting games like battlefield for many years, if they have 10/1 k/d they have a bad day and going to do relaxing game. I think they now what real pvp means. They call this pvp in RDRo bvb  ( baby's versus baby's) (bitches versus bitches)

SO basically you state that my statement is not very true, then start explaining the same thing I stated (that you can easily level up doing free roam without PVP and get the cards and other stuff up to par for doing PVP showdowns later on).  I also stated that it is a grind to do this, but so is PVP showdowns. Furthermore I pointed out that I have only done 20 minutes of showdowns yet have all cards maxxed out. Efficient PVE xp and money grinding is the thing to do.

Of the ability cards there are perhaps 3 or 4 of all of them that might be more PVE based cards and all other cards give you benefits in PVP as well, I don't really understand the point you are trying to make here. Doing damage with a lasso won't be useful in PVP showdowns, but in all honesty would you equip this card as a main ability in PVE??? I kind of get the feeling that you need to familiarise still with the abilities the cards provide as most are based on either Heals / damage output / incoming damage diminuation. All of them equally useful in PVP as in PVE. In essence it isn't the abilities that bothers people so much, it is the massive auto lock on.

Regarding skill needed in RDO in PVP - naturally the aiming is made "noobish" or "easily accesible" to a broad range of players, however even in this you have more skilled players compared to others. It's also a strange kind of comparison - Battlefield compared to RD is completely different, I would rather compare RDO PVP with Uncharted multiplayer and I agree that RDO is very noobfriendly and personally I do not like the auto aim. But the more skillfull players will be better compared to the less skilled ones with the exact same tools provided to all players.  I also kind of doubt that the friends you mention go 10 to 1 KDR on a bad day in pure infantry 1vs1 situations. People with those KDR's in Battlefield are either in planes or tanks or snipers. Either they are truly elite professionals or are just boasting. In battlefield people with average KDR's of 6 ( in infantry combat) are already highly skilled and most decent players have a KDR of 3 to 1.5. This is for console and especially for BFV, might be different on PC though.  I have played most Battlefields myself for a lot of hours and am very average but a useful PTO player with a KDR of perhaps 1.3 and I generally know what the top scoreboard players did ( I tend to be quite high in score due to Playing objectives effectively not by being an awesome killer). 

48 minutes ago, HuDawg said:

Meh.. I kind of like the cards.

My goal is to max all the cards out and swap them on the fly when needed.    It really messes with players.

They should have the equivalent of "loadouts" where we could have pre-stored selections that we hot swap on the fly.  Give every player four slots to put pre-set card groupings that they could cycle through on either their weapons or items wheel.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

I have friends who love PvP and have those who prefer PvE and I personally like both.  It really depends on my mood when I sign in.  Now the problem being is that often in a PvEvP.   You really can't get the 2 sides to agree on what is acceptable.  Yet in debates where a PvE zone is requested.  Some PvP players really get twisted and offended, like you just kicked their cat or their dog.  To me it's not personal and can usually see the option being viable.  Yet its does start arguments.

Yup and will continue to cause arguments just like taking a pacifier away from a 1 year old would. True PVP players want a challenge. The people complaining about PVE/private lobbies want fish in a barrel. 

51 minutes ago, madfretter said:

I'm totally ok with and agree with the missions paying less if they are completed in PVE/Private lobbies.  But let's be real, shouldn't  XP gains for shooting people that are not playing PVP  be less as well? This is easy to monitor, XP only starts  once both parties have fired on each other. Because if we're nerfing money  on private lobby missions because it's less risk then we should definitely be nerfing XP for PVPrs  that shoot people who are less of a risk because they aren't shooting back.

In a situation that we operate in seperate lobbies this would not be a thing naturally. Unfortunately getting less xp shooting online players would not be something many people would care about as that is more an emotional matter as a strategic one. But if they would implement it , I would be all for it :)

4 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

They should have the equivalent of "loadouts" where we could have pre-stored selections that we hot swap on the fly.  Give every player four slots to put pre-set card groupings that they could cycle through on either their weapons or items wheel.

I am so hoping for this - as I had several situations where I wanted to switch fast , but essentially do not have the time due to spawning in direct PVP again. I usually run horseman as a damage booster, but when you respawn you are on foot and do not really have time to switch.

3 minutes ago, madfretter said:

Yup and will continue to cause arguments just like taking a pacifier away from a 1 year old would. True PVP players want a challenge. The people complaining about PVE/private lobbies want fish in a barrel. 

When I PvP, to me a challenge is the players who shoot back, not those who don't.   So if a PvE player states he doesn't want to play with me, my feelings aren't hurt.  I say go for it, it would give options that keeps the player base strong.  I don't get upset by the idea.

4 minutes ago, Euphoric77 said:

In a situation that we operate in seperate lobbies this would not be a thing naturally. Unfortunately getting less xp shooting online players would not be something many people would care about as that is more an emotional matter as a strategic one. But if they would implement it , I would be all for it :)

Depends on how it's Phrased.  This should get a rise..lol...  Trolls can get xp for trolling you and then use that XP to unlock ability cards and weapons to troll you harder while you are trying to complete missions for full cash value. 

3 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

When I PvP, to me a challenge is the players who shoot back, not those who don't.   So if a PvE player states he doesn't want to play with me, my feelings aren't hurt.  I say go for it, it would give options that keeps the player base strong.  I don't get upset by the idea.

Exactly. You, are a true PVP player. The people complaining about private lobbies and PVE are not.

1 minute ago, madfretter said:

Depends on how it's Phrased.  This should get a rise..lol...  Trolls can get xp for trolling you and then use that XP to unlock ability cards and weapons to troll you harder while you are trying to complete missions for full cash value. 

Of course you are correct, but the "griefer" or "attacker" is not going after Online players to get xp. If you shoot 3 birds out of the sky and pluck them and bring them to the butcher you will make XP faster along with money compared to the fighting with other online players. You waste time, bullets, health, risk of costs for your horse etcetera. 

Again I wouldn't mind it giving no xp, however I think there should be other factors (e.g. honor playing a bigger role in game such as prices in store and visibility on the map). People want to have a fight to test skills / have a laugh shooting you in the back / want to troll you because they can. Not getting xp for it won't change it I am afraid.