Jump to content

The term griefer


Zampen
 Share

Recommended Posts

It seems like alot of people get pissed and call players griefers that kill them once or twice and correct me if i am wrong but is that really griefing ?  Dudes that interfere with missions are not griefers in my book even though i get irritaded,,, dudes that shoot me a couple of times when i am hunting etc. not griefers to me... dudes that are bored and follow me around annoying me, whats the problem ? It just seems like as soon as you get shoot you block and report and call players griefers when it is an open world online game where you are free to play as you like. This is just my point of view, getting a little fed up with the term thats all and there is always the simple solution to just switch server. I play alot, i play alone, i have meet dudes that littery harass me but to be honest they are few and far between. Maybe im lucky but i dont get it. Peace out

Edited by Zampen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't like to use the term griefer.  

 

They are player killers.   PKers. 

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pker

 

Grief is just a reaction from being killed by a Pker that some people have.  So they call them 'griefers'. 

 

Pkers are an assorted bag of player mentalities.  Some are assholes, some are di*ks, some are pussies and some are just fooling around.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's because people that don't like pvp see pvp as griefing. They want matched only pvp. If they didn't want to be killed in a game or the risk of, then play a pve game. I know the pve bunnies from hell are gonna rain down on me, but no one forcing you to play. And if there are other games that pull off the toggle pvp or whatever to "please everyone" and WANT to do that, then go play them then.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Renascent said:

That's because people that don't like pvp see pvp as griefing. They want matched only pvp. If they didn't want to be killed in a game or the risk of, then play a pve game. I know the pve bunnies from hell are gonna rain down on me, but no one forcing you to play. And if there are other games that pull off the toggle pvp or whatever to "please everyone" and WANT to do that, then go play them then.

Thanks for advise. Gee why didn't I think of that.  I think that all forms of play can be accommodated.  There are grivers(back shooters), and there are true pvp(no auto aim) and there are content players.  So we should all have to adapt to one form of game play in your book which will not be enough of a player base to keep R* developing.  Im sorry but I paid just as much money as you to play this game as advertised which is not what I am receiving at this point. So why the hell do you think that I should be forced to play your way versus mine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

Thanks for advise. Gee why didn't I think of that.  I think that all forms of play can be accommodated.  There are grivers(back shooters), and there are true pvp(no auto aim) and there are content players.  So we should all have to adapt to one form of game play in your book which will not be enough of a player base to keep R* developing.  Im sorry but I paid just as much money as you to play this game as advertised which is not what I am receiving at this point. So why the hell do you think that I should be forced to play your way versus mine.

And if they don't change things to how you want? Then what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Renascent said:

And if they don't change things to how you want? Then what?

Then I am gone.  The only problem with that is that you guys loose all your cannon fodder.  Then maybe it won't be quite as easy for you.  I am just saying that why can't they fix this so everyone wins.  They have the ability but won't implement it.  If you take offense in what I am saying then I am sorry.  I don't have a beef with the way that you want to play why do you have one with mine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

Then I am gone.  The only problem with that is that you guys loose all your cannon fodder.  Then maybe it won't be quite as easy for you.  I am just saying that why can't they fix this so everyone wins.  They have the ability but won't implement it.  If you take offense in what I am saying then I am sorry.  I don't have a beef with the way that you want to play why do you have one with mine?

I'm not offended in anyway, just tired of hearing the same argument over and over again. You can submit suggestions and stuff to rockstar, but ultimately it's up to them. If they don't want to, then they won't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Renascent said:

I'm not offended in anyway, just tired of hearing the same argument over and over again. You can submit suggestions and stuff to rockstar, but ultimately it's up to them. If they don't want to, then they won't. 

On this point i couldn't agree with you more.  I have submitted to R* quite a few times.  Im sure they are just putting them in trash bin as soon as they find out who sent them.  It is too bad in my opinion as this game has great potential and maybe they will fix it someday I dunno.  I am a big fan of GTAO but in that game at least they let you grind up to a respectable level before they threw you to the wolves so at least it would be fair.  Oh well enough rant.  Again I apologize I didn't mean to offend, just had a few rough sessions and am freshly p****d off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

On this point i couldn't agree with you more.  I have submitted to R* quite a few times.  Im sure they are just putting them in trash bin as soon as they find out who sent them.  It is too bad in my opinion as this game has great potential and maybe they will fix it someday I dunno.  I am a big fan of GTAO but in that game at least they let you grind up to a respectable level before they threw you to the wolves so at least it would be fair.  Oh well enough rant.  Again I apologize I didn't mean to offend, just had a few rough sessions and am freshly p****d off.

I at least agree they need to make it so they match low ranks together with each other at least. Most of the mmos I've played they leave the younglings alone up until like 20-30 or so. And yes I had a bad session last night with people chasing me all over the map and me forgetting that there's parley (because I rarely run into super persistent people). I am fine though.

I'm just used to this type of pvp, so that's why I'm so comfortable with it. People tried for 7 years with my other mmo to get the game changed to suit everyone pvp and pve. And it just went further and further down the drain largely because of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Renascent said:

I at least agree they need to make it so they match low ranks together with each other at least. Most of the mmos I've played they leave the younglings alone up until like 20-30 or so. And yes I had a bad session last night with people chasing me all over the map and me forgetting that there's parley (because I rarely run into super persistent people). I am fine though.

I'm just used to this type of pvp, so that's why I'm so comfortable with it. People tried for 7 years with my other mmo to get the game changed to suit everyone pvp and pve. And it just went further and further down the drain largely because of it.

That is a good idea and seems easy fix.  Another way so the game stays intact for free roam would be to take away the auto aim.  Hideouts and bushwhacks would be harder and you could get away from fight with other players if you wanted by zig zag running or riding so free aim would be harder.  Just easy fixes without destroying game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think people going out of their way to attack someone who is clearly minding their own business is a little immature, but still within the parameters of the game... It used to bother me more, but now that I am ranked a little higher and am a little better shooting-wise, I usually have the situational awareness to “handle” the issue before they get at me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Born Homicidal said:

not gonna get into details but yes people need to stop using the word "griefer" so loosely.

Or Rockstar could just come up with a real solution, stop players from wanting to grief. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Or Rockstar could just come up with a real solution, stop players from wanting to grief. 

agree, never happening though unless they add in Free Aim.

let me add on to that, also something else to do other than fish,hunt and grind stranger missions..

because lets be honest their PvP modes are trash especially with the auto aim on.

Edited by Born Homicidal
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Coca-Cola Kid said:

I think people going out of their way to attack someone who is clearly minding their own business is a little immature, but still within the parameters of the game... It used to bother me more, but now that I am ranked a little higher and am a little better shooting-wise, I usually have the situational awareness to “handle” the issue before they get at me.

Odd thing is I don't see it as much as I used to.  I think which server you get on makes a huge difference, pending on the type of players you face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Chris Arbaugh said:

Oh snaps ! Paging Dr @BropolloCreed79 it's getting heated in here ! Lol

Image result for barney stinson apollo creed gif

2 hours ago, Zampen said:

It seems like alot of people get pissed and call players griefers that kill them once or twice and correct me if i am wrong but is that really griefing ?

Purely situational.  If you're shot in the back of the head coming out of an interaction lock (like a cutscene) or someone is using an exploit to circumvent the system as intended and kill you without being killed themselves, then yes, that meets the qualifications to be labeled a "griefer".  Killing people whom are not actively engaging in PvP playstyle and are just minding their own business are ostensibly being targeted just be aggrived by the offending party.

Hence the term "Griefer".

1 hour ago, HuDawg said:

Grief is just a reaction from being killed by a Pker that some people have.  So they call them 'griefers'. 

PK'ers is inclusive of legitimate activities as designed by the game.  "Griefing" or "Griefers", as stated above, are labeled as such when the sole driving force for the action of PK'ing is meant to aggrieve another player--hence "situational" labels, as I said.

1 hour ago, Renascent said:

I know the pve bunnies from hell are gonna rain down on me,

Not true.  I'm an avowed "PvE Bunny" because of my diminished skills brought on by advanced age and chronic alcoholism, but I understand the sentiment and have no desire to rain down.

I will say that it seems disproportionate to have TWO dedicated PvP play modes (Showdown and Gun Rush) but ZERO PvE dedicated zones.  Free Roam should give players who want a more genteel experience that option if they so desire.  Me personally?  I'm just sick of spawning in and being headshot within fifteen seconds by some delta bravo with nothing better to do than harass other players.  

It's cherry picking.  If they wanted a REAL challenge, they'd go up against people who were prepared for them in a Showdown Series or Gun Rush game, as opposed to being a yellow-bellied, cake-eating, candy-ass, wuss who shoots people in the back of the head or from afar who's 100+ levels lower than them in progression.

Having a toggle does nothing to diminish anyone's enjoyment of the game, apart from these human sacks of road apples.

1 hour ago, Ragee503 said:

 Im sorry but I paid just as much money as you to play this game as advertised which is not what I am receiving at this point.

Not trying to argue, but I do not seem to recall any claims by R* promising PvE gameplay.  I could be wrong, but that's just my recollection of the marketing.  I'd also argue that the game being in "beta" gives them a level of protection against claims that they have yet to deliver what you are alleging they have promised.

But Griefers are still Delta Bravos, regardless of what was advertised.

59 minutes ago, Renascent said:

And if they don't change things to how you want? Then what?

Then Uncle Bropollo walks across the street in ten days for The Division 2.  Though to be fair, what I want is to have the game be playable--the recent update has exacerbated the disconnect issue and created innumerable interaction locks--every time I open my catalog, and about half the time I open a store owner's catalog, I get locked into it and all I can do is zoom in or out (Literally have to restart).  When matchmaking in Free Roam for missions, the lobby has an interaction lock that won't start the mission--it prevents people from "readying up" or the timer from counting down--even in full lobbies.

The PvE PvP thing is tiresome but it's far from the most pressing issue they have.  They need to stabilize this thing.  Badly.

11 minutes ago, Born Homicidal said:

not gonna get into details but yes people need to stop using the word "griefer" so loosely.

Does my definition meet your requirements?  We can make it a forum rule!

7 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Or Rockstar could just come up with a real solution

Like not releasing this hot mess to begin with.  They should have waited, clearly, because updates have made things progressively worse overall, not better, especially from a performance perspective.

5 minutes ago, Born Homicidal said:

agree, never happening though unless they add in Free Aim.

I really wish someone from R* would explain to us just exactly why they felt AA was a necessity out of the box.  I get it for, say, Free Roam, because shooting rats and chipmunks from horseback to finish daily quests is quite ridiculous.  But having it in SHowdown and Gun Rush?  "Pure Garbage" isn't harsh enough a term.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, YodaMan 3D said:

Or Rockstar could just come up with a real solution, stop players from wanting to grief. 

It's human nature. If people can get away with something, they will definitely try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me at least, griefer needlessly harasses you endlessly for no reason long after you make it clear you don’t want to play his game. They spawn kill you, kill you when you’re stuck in an animation or maybe wait out your ghost to blow your head off the second you spawn back in from a cut scene... and they do it for no other reason than to piss you off. There is (or at least was) no consequence to them and a potentially huge waste of time and money for you.

iat least now there are actual consequences for this kind of general di*k behaviour and you’re not out a small fortune of despawned pelts. I can live with that... only you should not be labeled an aggressive player and given a bounty for fighting back.

and no, getting shot once or twice isn’t gridding per say... but getting chased across the map and killed over and over until you change lobbies 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Not trying to argue, but I do not seem to recall any claims by R* promising PvE gameplay.  I could be wrong, but that's just my recollection of the marketing.  I'd also argue that the game being in "beta" gives them a level of protection against claims that they have yet to deliver what you are alleging they have promised.

But Griefers are still Delta Bravos, regardless of what was advertised.

ok I will give the that.  Besides I did get my money out of the story part.  It was fantastic so nothing lost really.  

 

12 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

Then Uncle Bropollo walks across the street in ten days for The Division 2.  Though to be fair, what I want is to have the game be playable--the recent update has exacerbated the disconnect issue and created innumerable interaction locks--every time I open my catalog, and about half the time I open a store owner's catalog, I get locked into it and all I can do is zoom in or out (Literally have to restart).  When matchmaking in Free Roam for missions, the lobby has an interaction lock that won't start the mission--it prevents people from "readying up" or the timer from counting down--even in full lobbies.

The PvE PvP thing is tiresome but it's far from the most pressing issue they have.  They need to stabilize this thing.  Badly.

This is my answer also.  But I truly would rather them fix this and make it more enjoyable to play. If they keep loosing player base from stupidity then so be it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ragee503 said:

ok I will give the that.  Besides I did get my money out of the story part.  It was fantastic so nothing lost really.  

See that's how I feel. Online is just extra. I got a good month-ish of gameplay from single player and I don't regret buying the game. Now for those that only bought the game for online, then.... welp. 😐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zampen said:

It seems like alot of people get pissed and call players griefers that kill them once or twice and correct me if i am wrong but is that really griefing ?  Dudes that interfere with missions are not griefers in my book even though i get irritaded,,, dudes that shoot me a couple of times when i am hunting etc. not griefers to me... dudes that are bored and follow me around annoying me, whats the problem ? It just seems like as soon as you get shoot you block and report and call players griefers when it is an open world online game where you are free to play as you like. This is just my point of view, getting a little fed up with the term thats all and there is always the simple solution to just switch server. I play alot, i play alone, i have meet dudes that littery harass me but to be honest they are few and far between. Maybe im lucky but i dont get it. Peace out

Pardon my overthinking....Here are my thoughts:

 

Let's think  back to our playground days for a minute.  Imagine  you're  at the playground in the sandbox minding your own business and some kid, who want's you to play basketball throws  the ball at your head.  You tell him you don't want to play, point out there are other kids  on the court that would play with him and go back to your sandbox. He plays with them, loses, so he's back throwing the ball at your head again, trying to make you play with him. At some point an adult is going to step in and separate the 2 of you. RDR2 is a large playground  where some people just want to play in the sand box while others want to play something else. R* needs to be the adult and separate the 2.  The literal definition of the statement  "to grief" is to annoy, bother or be a general nuisance. So, with that in mind, anyone who goes out of their way to attempt to force someone to play this game one way, when there are clearly many ways to play the game, is giving grief and has earned the label griefer.  That being said, R* is more at fault than anyone because if there were private lobbies none of this would even be a discussion.  PVP and PVE are 2 separate entities  with 2 completely different mindsets and need to be treated as such. Until that happens, us players will spend more time talking about the game in threads like this instead of playing it.

 

waaah.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ozy8753 said:

It's the wild west, not the mild west? man up & fight back while enjoying the game.

I must have missed the historic part of the battle of Wounded Knee when Custer was shot in the back of the head by a varmint rifle when exiting a cutscene.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zampen said:

It seems like alot of people get pissed and call players griefers that kill them once or twice and correct me if i am wrong but is that really griefing ?  Dudes that interfere with missions are not griefers in my book even though i get irritaded,,, dudes that shoot me a couple of times when i am hunting etc. not griefers to me... dudes that are bored and follow me around annoying me, whats the problem ? It just seems like as soon as you get shoot you block and report and call players griefers when it is an open world online game where you are free to play as you like. This is just my point of view, getting a little fed up with the term thats all and there is always the simple solution to just switch server. I play alot, i play alone, i have meet dudes that littery harass me but to be honest they are few and far between. Maybe im lucky but i dont get it. Peace out

I hear you man.  I agree. It is an open world game. People don't want to adapt. I would be never enter online if I just wanted to hunt , fish and be left alone. Because the minute I got shot I would be salty and butt hurt. Why do that to myself?  R* may give people the Farmville mode they crave. I honestly hope they do. Because watering down normal mode will kill this game. And no I don't need or want PVErs for easy kills. I'm not a lame. I love doing missions with my posse as well as getting in gun fights. Matter fact I am part of a large Anti Griefer Community. We get called in to clear servers of trolls all the time. I love that. But with this new Brokeback Mountain update, I now will get penalized for helping out others. Thanks R*

Edited by Savage_Reaper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, madfretter said:

Pardon my overthinking....Here are my thoughts:

 

Let's think  back to our playground days for a minute.  Imagine  you're  at the playground in the sandbox minding your own business and some kid, who want's you to play basketball throws  the ball at your head.  You tell him you don't want to play, point out there are other kids  on the court that would play with him and go back to your sandbox. He plays with them, loses, so he's back throwing the ball at your head again, trying to make you play with him. At some point an adult is going to step in and separate the 2 of you. RDR2 is a large playground  where some people just want to play in the sand box while others want to play something else. R* needs to be the adult and separate the 2.  The literal definition of the statement  "to grief" is to annoy, bother or be a general nuisance. So, with that in mind, anyone who goes out of their way to attempt to force someone to play this game one way, when there are clearly many ways to play the game, is giving grief and has earned the label griefer.  That being said, R* is more at fault than anyone because if there were private lobbies none of this would even be a discussion.  PVP and PVE are 2 separate entities  with 2 completely different mindsets and need to be treated as such. Until that happens, us players will spend more time talking about the game in threads like this instead of playing it.

 

waaah.jpg

Im a pve player and if a kid bothers me i go to another sandbox or fight back depending on my mood. Simpel as that exept there will be no more fighting until they redo that stupid bounty system. Now i parley and move on with my buissnes not loosing anyhing on my horse etc so its real lame if you ask me. I want a little exitement but we are all different. I really did not se the problem from the start is what i am trying to say but hey thats me 🤗 

Edited by Zampen
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BropolloCreed79 said:

I must have missed the historic part of the battle of Wounded Knee when Custer was shot in the back of the head by a varmint rifle when exiting a cutscene.

 There aren't enough likes available for this comment.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zampen said:

 

Im a pve player and if a kid bothers me i go to another sandbox or fight back depending on my mood. Simpel as that exept there will be no more fighting until they redo that stupid bounty system. I really did not se the problem from the start is what i am trying to say 

If you stop what you were doing to fight back or leave the server you are allowing another person to dictate how you play the game. I do not concede to people, so this system doesn't work for me. I don't feel we should need to jump servers every time some tool decides to gun me down as I'm skinning a buck. We should have the option to jump into  one server and play with like minded people. And that goes for both PVE and PVP players.  The game and player base are large enough to support full servers for both sides. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...