Is It Just Me, Or Is Lvling BH Just A Real Grind?

KylesDad7

At the very least, compared to the Trader and Collector roles. I mean, doing  a single person bounty gets 200 to 400 XP it seems, which means you're running like 5 missions per lvl. Now, I've not done one (except for the new Hootowl Legendary) but I'm guessing maybe the multiple bounty bounties give more? If so, is it that much more to make it worth the extra time to complete?

Yeah, it’s slow compared to the other roles to progress but the last 5 or 6 levels didn’t feel as much of a grind. I just targeted making one level per day - break it down into smaller targets. Doing the daily challenges was a big help.

Trader was ridiculously quick once you got the bigger wagons - not sure what R* were thinking there given it was the role must people were interested in. 

Collector was finished without even focusing on it for any amount of time, again too quick. Feel like there should have been more onus on collecting full sets to level this role up.

4 minutes ago, CosmoKramer said:

Trader was ridiculously quick once you got the bigger wagons - not sure what R* were thinking there given it was the role must people were interested in. 

Collector was finished without even focusing on it for any amount of time, again too quick. Feel like there should have been more onus on collecting full sets to level this role up.

You're right on both. Hell, I got to lvl 6 on Collector just by looting NPC's and randomly coming across buried items/flowers/cards/etc while roaming around.

Leveling now is extremely easy and fast. Doing the large (long distance) supply drop yields you 2500xp. If you are doing bounties, don't waste time on single or two stars. Only do the three star 4-6man bounties. Also get the Legendary Weekly bounty up to five stars and farm that daily until the next weekly reset. Also make sure you take at least 30mins to do five star Legendary. You get max payout and XP that way.  I'm closing in on Lvl 300 and getting plenty of XP nightly to go up several levels. Leveling and making money/gold is beyond easy now. 

Edited by Savage_Reaper

I dunno.....  I'm not rushing things and I'm finding them to be entertaining enough.  I only find things get grindy when I make them that way (e.g. trying to knock missions out one after the other in rapid succession, etc.).  It's not a race for me to get to the end.  ....but that's just me.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kean_1 said:

I dunno.....  I'm not rushing things and I'm finding them to be entertaining enough.  I only find things get grindy when I make them that way (e.g. trying to knock missions out one after the other in rapid succession, etc.).  It's not a race for me to get to the end.  ....but that's just me.  

I'm going to preface this with the disclaimer that i am NOT talking about anyone in particular, here on these forums or elsewhere.  But it is very comical/sad watching all of these folks "grind" through all of the content as fast as possible, to unlock every feature and reward, before everyone else... and then spend the next 6 months complaining because they are bored with it and expect R* to have the next update ready to go, NOW! (and it's R*s fault that they ran out of content)

I'm not bored, I'm in no hurry.  I hunt and trade for a while, go catch a bounty or two, stop by the saloon and play a few hands of poker, maybe go find a treasure, clear a few camps if I spot them, craft a bit at camp and pet the dog... etc.   I guess, I just don't get the need to "grind" and certainly don't get "grinding" to "complete" everything as soon as humanly possible.   It just seems so very counter to "fun".   As for me, it will take me probably months to complete all three roles.  And I am absolutely, 100% fine with that.  Obviously, ymmv. 

Edited by Madrigalian
  • Like 9

46 minutes ago, Madrigalian said:

I'm going to preface this with the disclaimer that i am NOT talking about anyone in particular, here on these forums or elsewhere.  But it is very comical/sad watching all of these folks "grind" through all of the content as fast as possible, to unlock every feature and reward, before everyone else... and then spend the next 6 months complaining because they are bored with it and expect R* to have the next update ready to go, NOW! (and it's R*s fault that they ran out of content)

I'm not bored, I'm in no hurry.  I hunt and trade for a while, go catch a bounty or two, stop by the saloon and play a few hands of poker, maybe go find a treasure, clear a few camps if I spot them, craft a bit at camp and pet the dog... etc.   I guess, I just don't get the need to "grind" and certainly don't get "grinding" to "complete" everything as soon as humanly possible.   It just seems so very counter to "fun".   As for me, it will take me probably months to complete all three roles.  And I am absolutely, 100% fine with that.  Obviously, ymmv. 

Hahaha yes i have been waiting for the moaning that there is nothing to do again and rockstar are so rubbish blah blah.i wont lie i have rushed this update and wished i had slowed down but the game is so good and i enjoy meeting new people to play the game with.meet new people and the game changes slightly.i like to help others progress and not get bullied in game.this update couldnt of been better and rockstar are right to take there time with a game like this.i had 2 wks off work ill so kinda went through it all but my advice is do not rush.its so fun and money is now so much easier to come by.i kinda wish rockstar didnt hype up any update and just dropped it as a surprise coz its the long drawn out process that keeps players hooked and wanting more.that summer update talk for months was annoying.lets just let it happen naturally and enjoy the game.

• Like 1

I think folks should enjoy the game as they like whether that's running through it or stopping to smell the flowers once in a while, etc.  ....but yeah, part of the reason I (personally) don't tend to rush my progress is because I typically enjoy the game more and for longer that way.  

To each their own though.  There's really no wrong way to enjoy the game or it's content. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

I think folks should enjoy the game as they like whether that's running through it or stopping to smell the flowers once in a while, etc.  ....but yeah, part of the reason I (personally) don't tend to rush my progress is because I typically enjoy the game more and for longer that way.  

To each their own though.  There's really no wrong way to enjoy the game or it's content. 

Yh man if people just focused on themselves rather than worry about others they may have more fun.peeps need to stop waisting energy on others and if you paid for rdr2 bloody enjoy it.link with like minded peeps and let idiots go by them.its to big a world to let others bother you.online can be toxic but seriously in the end you can find like minded players.as this forum itself evolves we can all find our own preference of players.stop the defensive and put hearts on the line.were all in same boat.  ESCAPING life. So positive vibes are needed.kean i admire your resolve and temperament.i want to see a happy vibrant forum for probably my favourite game. 

• Like 1

I thin BH is more of a grind than it should be, but trader can be with the despawned animals and the time I’m spending looking for them.

Getting a bounty that starts in valentine but you have to ride to st denis.

oddly enough I’m barely even trying to be a collector and I’m level six, and a level 9 BH.

obviously I’m not a diehard playing for hours every day,....but the trades do not seem balanced.  

Yeah, bounty hunting is a grind, especially if you're a solo player like me. I've tried bounties that involve bringing in two people but it hasn't worked out for me - one of them either always gets away or I accidentally end up killing one of them. So I can only do one-person bounties and ugh, what a grind. But I partly also LIKE it - because it forces me to take things slowly for a change, I really rushed through the Collector role in particular because you just find that stuff everywhere and it levels up incredibly fast. The Trader I also finished in pretty much no time.

1 hour ago, MrPicard said:

Yeah, bounty hunting is a grind, especially if you're a solo player like me. I've tried bounties that involve bringing in two people but it hasn't worked out for me - one of them either always gets away or I accidentally end up killing one of them. So I can only do one-person bounties and ugh, what a grind. But I partly also LIKE it - because it forces me to take things slowly for a change, I really rushed through the Collector role in particular because you just find that stuff everywhere and it levels up incredibly fast. The Trader I also finished in pretty much no time.

I'm mostly solo, too - although I am thinking of starting a posse - but I find that if I hang out for a few minutes by the bounty boards I often get a posse invite.  Then three or four of us gang up and do a couple of group bounties (we did the Owlhoots a couple of nights ago) and then just go our separate ways.  It was lots of fun and boosted my xp return for bounty hunting.  So it's sometimes worth a lurk.  I'm a level 43 Doc Holliday clone so don't think I'm presenting as some unusual golden ticket who will transform others' play!  So it must work for others, too.

14 hours ago, Madrigalian said:

No wrong way to play. I personally want to have a certain amount of gold and money so that when I take a break to play other games,I am not in scramble mode when I return. I took a few months break before. This game isn't that much of a grind. It isn't like Destiny or something. I don't power grind but I know people that do. I don't concern myself with how others play the game. If you want to never leave Chapter 2 in story mode. Cool. If you aren't concerned with maxing out the 3 online roles.....Good for you.  As long as you aren't running a glitch/cheat I careless what other players do. I have more important things to worry about in real life than to concern myself with the rants of a "Not Enough Content" tool. 

• Like 1

i agree it did feel like a grind, but idk if you're like me and found bounties to be exactly the same as stranger mission (boring and played out/repetitive af).

they should have made bounties more immersive and open to decision making ex: let the bounty go for money, help them kill a sheriff, be able to publicly hang them or something along the lines).

BH is a real grind compared to Collector & Trader IMO. I got to level 20 in both Collector & Trader pretty quickly (all solo) but it seems like Bounty Hunter will take forever to get any where working solo. It didn't help that the first few Bounties I turned in did not record XP or pay me. I am not giving up on it, but will likely have to work it more with a posse than solo.