Did R* completely misjudge progression?

Harlock1796

Or do they have a cunning plan?

I can't think of many games where you level up your character or "battle pass" (for want of a better generic description for what the outlaw pass is) on a straight line basis.

As an obvious example, levelling up your RDO character, each level requires incrementally more xp than the previous one, notwithstanding that, after lvl 99 there is effectively no benefit at all for levelling up (treasure maps excepted).

Why then, do the outlaw pass and the 3 roles level up on a straight line basis?  I got to lvl 70 on the battle pass within about 1/4 of the time available, and hit collector lvl 20 without even trying.  I haven't really tried with trader, but from watching my son, the first 5 levels (which is where I currently am, having not done much of it) seem to be the only grind - once you can upgrade your wagon, progress seems to be exponential.

R* aren't fools, they know this.  Are they drawing us in with an initial early win, before boosting the gold requirement and difficulty in recouping it?  Will the next outlaw pass be incremental?  Will lvl 21- 40 (assuming they exist) on the roles be harder?

Don't get me wrong, I like unlocking all the stuff, but I might like it even more if it felt like there was some challenge involved.

For completeness, I should acknowledge that the bounty hunting is a bit more of a grind - I've done a fair bit of that, including all but 1 of the 5* legendarys solo, and am still bumping along at lvl 11.  That feels to me more like where it should be, though.

So, back to my original question.  Did R* just not think it through?

I had some similar thoughts after maxing all roles and outlaw pass in a couple of weeks.  I wasn't rushing, just playing my regular pace.  

It doesn't bother me though.  Kind of nice just getting everything unlocked quickly, then just get back to playing the game with all the new stuff.  

When I first read about the Outlaw Pass I thought it might be a bit of a challenge to level it up to 70 in the time available but it was an absolute joke. Trader progression was almost instantaneous once you unlocked the large delivery wagon and collector you really didn't have to make any effort, just collect stuff as you roamed the world. Bounty Hunter was about right for progression, it was only a little quick as I'd completed the other roles so was able to focus on it more. 

I think they made some of the xp rewards too big for trader & collector activities - I've gone up over 100 levels since the update dropped. On the other hand that would suggest they got the content pretty much right for keeping me coming back to the game much more than I was before the update.

I feel the 3 roles was a " Shut up and take this" . It was meant to be easy. Hell the Trader is basically a modified supply  mission from GTA. I think R* feels they released to much top tier content to fast on GTA. They aren't trying to repeat that. They want you to stay in the "outlaw" vibe for as long as they can stretch it out. I believe eventually you will own businesses like oil , tobacco , railroad, etc. They are just trying to drag out the progression. Right now all the roles lack depth, content, complexity or any form of a real challenge. If they follow GTA model with content, this will hopefully change. Right now the 5* Legendary Bounty is the only semi difficult content. They did an EXCELLENT job on this weeks on a side note.

Hopefully the next update turns it up. I remember playing the beta and the grind to lvl 100 was real. Was really disappointed in how fast I was able to rank up the roles. XP is waaaaay to high. Like what is the point of Stranger Missions now? They pay crap and give you little xp. That was the bread and butter for a lot of us. Now it is pointless when you can work any of the 3 trades and make a ton more. You make $625 in a large wagon run and like 2500xp. Do you know how many Stranger Missions you would have to run to get that? Hopefully they make those activities worthwhile again. I think R* does have a plan from all the interviews I have heard. They plan to "dive deeper" into the roles. The 3 roles are starter roles in a progression arch. At least I hope that is the case. 

One of the things I love about GTA is running the heist. Tough end game content that is enjoyable and challenges you. Would love to see RDO go that route....but with Abilty Cards it may be laughable . IMO

Edited by Savage_Reaper

I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop (I mean the roles and the Outlaw Pass were really too easy to level up)... like, them introducing properties but a little shed somewhere in the middle of nowhere costs 5,000 gold bars and a house in Saint Denis costs 50,000 gold bars or something. lol

• Like 1

I never understood the basis of leveling up online. I was not even trying to level up fast myself and just breezed through it. I was hoping for it to be a bit more time consuming or challenging. I would have preferred a cap as well. 

Im disappointed as well. When they were itroducing the roles i had an imagination of it how it would work. Trader role - i was thinking about producing various goods (clothing, ammunition, consumables etc) using various materials and recipes an then sell them at my own shop (or global auction house) to earn money. Sell animal fat or explosive ammunition. Tht would get me the feel im really trading, setting up prices, competing with other traders...... Trader is a joke i even stopped feeding crips to get the goods. I leveled it in what, 3 days? maybe 4 and the rewards are... ekm just poor. Emotes....some cosmetics and "skills" .... hunting wagon...  Too easy, too shallow. The camp that produce goods i thought you will be able to try to raid another players camp or even get raided by NPCs (mine never was till this day)

Collector role - total joke tbh. Yes it gives crazy xp, yes it gives good money... but its boring AF and i stopped collectiong as soon as i hit lvl 20. Only stop for a colectible when i come acros it during other stuff i do. 

Bounty hunter - this i had high hopes for and saved it for last. Its the best of all the 3 roles but it gets boring fast (same missions, same mechanics). tHe only thing that im happy with are the legendary bouties 5*    Its fun and i hope for them to keep it up.    There are a lot of outlaw players out there and i thought that they will be listed on the rooster to choose from to hunt. Thought there would be something like a public execution of the player or NPCs captured. I even thought that there will be real in game jail time for players cought alive like from 10 minutes real time up to 2 hours. The players posse could try to break out posse member from jail etc... 

So overall im not happy what they produced and took months to implement. I really like the game bcoz it gives me relaxation after a hard days work. I love to just sit, put on my headphones, open a beer or whiskey and sink in the fantastic world of RDR. Hope they will implement something more complex and time consuming the next time. 

R* is just testing the waters.  They are not targeting the hardcore players, they want you to be the poster child for why people spend real money on the pass.

Its the casual players who they want to milk.  IMO they are just getting started with 'passes'.  No doubt the prices will get higher.

I'm just a casual user and I only have the collector left to max out. I must say I am getting bored. I cant imagine how the hardcore players are taking this. Every time I visit a town, there are dead bodies all over and a dead horse or two. Nobody is waiting for the bounty board or the butcher. I must not be the only one getting bored

I wondered the same thing. I maxed out the Outlaw Pass in no time by simply playing the game. I made no effort whatsoever. But, I think most people that are a member of this forum, or are on any dedicated FB pages all maxed out the pass/roles in no time. There's probably nothing they could add that a dedicated player with time on his hands couldn't/wouldn't blow through. But the casual fans and the irregular players are probably still trying to level up. 

I’m barely into the roles myself... but I only have a couple hours a week to play (less with hunting season in high gear and trapping season to get ready for... And Modifying my new UTV for winter duty)... but when they’re maxed out I’ll keep making money on them and wait for the next update... save up some cash for a new farm maybe...

On 10/25/2019 at 9:34 PM, The_Liquor said:

I’m barely into the roles myself... but I only have a couple hours a week to play (less with hunting season in high gear and trapping season to get ready for... And Modifying my new UTV for winter duty)... but when they’re maxed out I’ll keep making money on them and wait for the next update... save up some cash for a new farm maybe...

New Role update: Real Estate Agent.

I don't mind it being "easy". I am not someone who can play a game every single day. I got work and responsibilities that eat up a lot of time. Had they mad it where it was hard to level up, I would have not bothered playing online at all. I feel like they hit a sweet spot for casual gamers. 

• Like 1