Seasonal Foods

liquidfire

I see we have a seasonal drinks thread but not one for food. This disappoints me, I love to eat and do not drink alcohol. 

So here is a seasonal foods thread. This can pertain to snacks, limited edition food items, or general meals. 

I spotted these in the shop today and grabbed a pack. Haven't tried them yet, plan on munching on them later when I catch up on some shows:

oreos.jpeg.6e685eb5ea2459d48d9ac6b4bfee5fc4.jpeg

Bleh. I hate peppermint. I actually got some of them pumpkin oreos and was not a fan of those either. 

When it comes to seasonal food, I am all about Thanksgiving Dinner. I can't wait for that. Homemade mash, stuffing, candied yams, juicy turkey, and all the other stuff. 

1 hour ago, MadMatt said:

Bleh. I hate peppermint. I actually got some of them pumpkin oreos and was not a fan of those either. 

When it comes to seasonal food, I am all about Thanksgiving Dinner. I can't wait for that. Homemade mash, stuffing, candied yams, juicy turkey, and all the other stuff. 

^^ (Except for the Peppermint part)

Thanksgiving dinner Is my favorite meal ever. We've got a family punch that we make as well that's killer. Christmas Breakfast is always good as well.

• Like 1

We produce about 200 million metric tons of pumpkins in my state. We carve 36 of those pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns and hide the rest of them in everything we eat. We don't have a solid bowel movement until February but our farts smell like the candle department at Bed Bath & Beyond.

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:13 PM, liquidfire said:

I see we have a seasonal drinks thread but not one for food. This disappoints me, I love to eat and do not drink alcohol. 

So here is a seasonal foods thread. This can pertain to snacks, limited edition food items, or general meals. 

I spotted these in the shop today and grabbed a pack. Haven't tried them yet, plan on munching on them later when I catch up on some shows:

oreos.jpeg.6e685eb5ea2459d48d9ac6b4bfee5fc4.jpeg

I tried those a few weeks ago. They smell amazing. The flavor is similar to those pastel melting mints with the white balls on the bottom. I think they are meant for baking recipes. My mother always had a bag when I was growing up and have be a few after dinner each night. 

• Like 1

Has anyone tried this by chance?

51247539.jpg.0945c0624929a4943daa6fd73f99f16f.jpg

I am asking because I love eggnog but I have not been able to drink it in years cause it really screws with my stomach. I tried it with and without alcohol and it doesn't make a difference. I am thinking maybe a dairy free one might be just as good without giving me stomach issues? 

I have both stomach problems and an alcohol problem.

For several months I have been using almond milk in my White Russians instead of milk or other dairy products. Although it doesnt have the richness and full flavor of the original recipe, after the first one, it really doesnt matter to me. I would call it acceptable to my taste buds. If its good with your digestive system, give it a try. It's not like your going to be chugging down a half gallon of it a day for an entire year. I like eggnog too but I can only take so much of it around holiday time. Its not my beverage of choice after cutting the grass on a 90 degree day.

Edited by buttlint

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving leftovers. Every year I end up eating like it is Thanksgiving all weekend and regret it by Monday. It is the only time of year I will eat pumpkin pie as well. It has to be warm and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:21 PM, KVNknowsbest said:

I tried those a few weeks ago. They smell amazing. The flavor is similar to those pastel melting mints with the white balls on the bottom. I think they are meant for baking recipes. My mother always had a bag when I was growing up and have be a few after dinner each night. 

I ate the whole lot in 2 days after opening it. Ended up getting two more bags of them. Too good to stop at just a few. I feel horrible after eating them but I love the taste.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 11:28 PM, EjectedCasings said:

Christmas Breakfast is always good as well.

I gotta know what is on your plate. 

I remember when I was growing up, my mom would always make us kids some fresh pancakes and they always tasted the best because we ate them only on Christmas until we were a bit older.

3 hours ago, MadMatt said:

I gotta know what is on your plate. 

I remember when I was growing up, my mom would always make us kids some fresh pancakes and they always tasted the best because we ate them only on Christmas until we were a bit older.

Honestly, it varied from year to year. Sometimes it'd be sausage/bacon, eggs, hash browns etc. Sometimes it was Pancakes, waffles, or French toast. Or sometimes it'd be something different like a croissant sandwich with cheese, egg, and ham. It depended on what pop's wanted to make.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, liquidfire said:

I ate the whole lot in 2 days after opening it. Ended up getting two more bags of them. Too good to stop at just a few. I feel horrible after eating them but I love the taste.

Mint anything that has a sweet taste to it, I am a sucker for. The chocolate cuts the sweetness of the cream in a good way as well. 

• Like 1

I love me some eggnog. I used to hate it growing up and though it was the most nasty thing because I found out it was basically an egg drink and I don't like eggs all that much. I started drinking it a few years ago when my girl's dad mixed me a drink using it. It was a mint eggnog rum something but it was great. I have since cut out drinking for health reasons but still managed to enjoy the taste of eggnog. I now drink it every November/December. 

On 11/2/2019 at 10:34 PM, HIGHHorse said:

Has anyone tried this by chance?

51247539.jpg.0945c0624929a4943daa6fd73f99f16f.jpg

I am asking because I love eggnog but I have not been able to drink it in years cause it really screws with my stomach. I tried it with and without alcohol and it doesn't make a difference. I am thinking maybe a dairy free one might be just as good without giving me stomach issues? 

I think my mother buys this stuff. She can't do dairy products anymore so she sticks with almond milk products for most things. She seems to enjoy it and she was a huge eggnog drinker with us kids growing up. As long as there is enough nutmeg in the flavoring, you likely won't notice the difference but it might be thinner.

• Like 1

I am a sucker for candied yams and the only time of year where I get to eat them is on Thanksgiving. I could buy frozen ones or make them myself but both do not compare to my grandma's recipe. She makes them better than anything I have ever tasted. 

On 11/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, ragedhunter11 said:

I think my mother buys this stuff. She can't do dairy products anymore so she sticks with almond milk products for most things. She seems to enjoy it and she was a huge eggnog drinker with us kids growing up. As long as there is enough nutmeg in the flavoring, you likely won't notice the difference but it might be thinner.

I mean as long as it taste relatively the same, I don't care if it isn't as thick. Thanks for letting me know. I'll pick some up after work tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:16 AM, HIGHHorse said:

I mean as long as it taste relatively the same, I don't care if it isn't as thick. Thanks for letting me know. I'll pick some up after work tomorrow. 

I'll guinea pig some for you and report back. She tends to always have it in the house from now till new years day.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember the brand name of these cookies I had, my sister gave me them last week. I ended up eating them all in one sitting. They were called Christmas Cheer or something. They had like a mint eggnog taste with hot cocoa. It was weird but it worked so well.