Avoid or quit dishonorable Free Roam missions?

Prescott Billy

Is there any way to avoid accidentally accepting, or quitting, dishonorable missions?  I'm not talking only about missions which reduce my in-game honor, but any mission which requires me to do ethically unsound things.  By ethically unsound, I mean attacking innocents or committing crimes; I have no problem with slaughtering bandits and gang members, but I don't want to kill stagecoach guards so I can kidnap some dude at the behest of a shady low-life.  Today was my second day of playing the online version of the game after finishing the single-player game, and I was trying to locate strangers in need of assistance.  By assistance, I mean help rescuing a loved one from kidnappers, recovering stolen property, putting down a gang of murderous thugs, etc.  I tried four different Stranger icons.  Two of them gave me a warning, in the form of a red "Dishonor" icon, which allowed me to avoid the mission and just walk away.  Two others didn't give me such a choice, just threw me into a cut scene where my character nodded agreement at performing the heinous mission.  Both times, I had to just wait around until the mission timer ran out, which wasted quite a bit of my time.  It would be nice to know which Stranger icons link to shady missions before traveling to them, or at least to have the opportunity, after hearing what the mission is, to decline it.  Or at the very, very least, allow me to quit the mission without just sitting around with my thumb up my ass for 10-15 minutes.

• Like 1

Hector, Bonnie, Alden, Hamish, Angus, Sherrif Freeman, Thomas, the Adlers, Angus, Trelawney, will give honorable missions.   

Joe, the boy, Shakey, James Langton, Anthony Foreman, Flaco Hernandez, Sean, Mama Watson, Black Belle, the Aberdeens, will all give you dishonorable missions.  Now in some of these "dishonorable" missions you will be going after rival gangs. So you're not always killing Innocents, but after you do a few you'll know which ones to accept. 

If you accept one by mistake you can't cancel it.  Like you said, wait it out. Go hunting, (if there's any animals)  Or find a way to fail it, if possible.

Last option.  Go to the online menu and reload into camp. It may take a while, but less time than waiting out a 15 minute timer.  

• Like 1

The first time you do a stranger mission is the introduction, that is why you get a cut scene. They are allways offensive in nature as they usualy require you to steal or murder.

This you cannot avoid in order to unlock the contact. If you feel uncomfy in the offensive mode(it is the pvp mode afterall) then find someone to do it with.

After the intro mission has been done, you will get an indication when you interact with the stranger if the mission will be offensive or defensive in nature.

There is no way to find out this from a distance, you have to go to the mission giver. Some of them roam, others are stationary. They will not change their mission unless you do them, or change server shard.

However, i dont know if this is a bug, or by intension, but after i bought the bounty hunter role in december, i noticed that these stranger missions went from beeing 80% defensive/ 20% offensive, to beeing 95% offensive/ 5% defensive.

6 hours ago, Prescott Billy said:

Is there any way to avoid accidentally accepting, or quitting, dishonorable missions?  I'm not talking only about missions which reduce my in-game honor, but any mission which requires me to do ethically unsound things.  By ethically unsound, I mean attacking innocents or committing crimes; I have no problem with slaughtering bandits and gang members, but I don't want to kill stagecoach guards so I can kidnap some dude at the behest of a shady low-life.  Today was my second day of playing the online version of the game after finishing the single-player game, and I was trying to locate strangers in need of assistance.  By assistance, I mean help rescuing a loved one from kidnappers, recovering stolen property, putting down a gang of murderous thugs, etc.  I tried four different Stranger icons.  Two of them gave me a warning, in the form of a red "Dishonor" icon, which allowed me to avoid the mission and just walk away.  Two others didn't give me such a choice, just threw me into a cut scene where my character nodded agreement at performing the heinous mission.  Both times, I had to just wait around until the mission timer ran out, which wasted quite a bit of my time.  It would be nice to know which Stranger icons link to shady missions before traveling to them, or at least to have the opportunity, after hearing what the mission is, to decline it.  Or at the very, very least, allow me to quit the mission without just sitting around with my thumb up my ass for 10-15 minutes.

Welcome to RDR2 Online partner !!

SADLY There is no actual change to your gameplay by becomming max honorable or max dishonorable in Online mode yet. THe only thing it affects is acces to certain Land of oportunities co-op mission. When max honorable you will not be able to do some of the dishonorable missions but will have acces to other honorable mission- so to have 100% co -op mission progress you will eventually have to lower your honor to be able to do them. 

I would suggest not paying atention to the honor status and just enjoy full content.  Also it is very easy to lower or increase honor by hunting or tormenting NPC's. 

IMO, don't even bother with any of the stranger missions good or bad. They are just not profitable enough to be worth your time. You'll gain far more money and xp by doing all of the different roles, bounty hunter, trader, collector and moonshiner. I think bounty hunter would be a perfect fit for you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Prescott Billy said:

Is there any way to avoid accidentally accepting, or quitting, dishonorable missions?  I'm not talking only about missions which reduce my in-game honor, but any mission which requires me to do ethically unsound things. 

We are talking about a game that used the tag line "outlaws for life".  There are a lot of things we are asked to do in the campaign and in RDO that are ethically questionable or are considered just downright wrong in civilized society.  .....that's what the game is about.  Even in the beginning missions / cutscenes that get you sorted in RDO you're an outlaw.

...but yeah, as others said you have your choice of missions, etc. if you want to go that route. Personally, I think folks are missing out on a good chunk of the game if they limit themselves entirely to only honorable tasks but then again, that's the players choice after the introductio into RDO.

• Like 1

I'm actually having a hard time going dishonorable, no thanks to the horse!

I know I can change through old man Jones, (with coupons). Just trying to see how hard it is to stay dishonorable, it's quite difficult.  

Hoping dishonorable will show more trader wagons to jack. It's an experiment, because I never see them, but one dishonorable posse member seems to always see them.  I'll update my findings to my fellow wagon hunters. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Freakshow9191 said:

I know I can change through old man Jones, (with coupons). Just trying to see how hard it is to stay dishonorable, it's quite difficult.  

Hoping dishonorable will show more trader wagons to jack. It's an experiment, because I never see them, but one dishonorable posse member seems to always see them.  I'll update my findings to my fellow wagon hunters. 

I know.  I go around killing a  bunch of NPCs and not only does my honor level barely change (if at all), but I get a bounty less than $10.  I also have an uncontrollable urge to backhand other NPC riders just for fun / practice.  ;) 

To be honest, that's why I always took complaints about the bounty system being too harsh in online with a grain of salt.  You really have to go around killing real players to get that thing up there.  ......and in those cases, they deserve the red dot / bounty IMO.  

• Like 2

I'm not so much worried about my honor rating, although I admit I do like to see it maxed out.  For me, it's just annoying to have to do a mission for some low-life criminal scum.  Like the apparently powerful, well-connected, belligerent jerk who strutted and boasted and threatened me while giving me the mission.  Or the creepy incestuous brother and sister pig farmers who I remember all too well from the single-player game; I didn't realize where I was until I'd walked in and was forced to accept their mission to kidnap and return to them a person I can only assume was a victim they'd abducted and who had managed to escape.  Eww.  I also discovered, to my great disappointment, that I couldn't kill them.  :/ 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Prescott Billy said:

I'm not so much worried about my honor rating, although I admit I do like to see it maxed out.  For me, it's just annoying to have to do a mission for some low-life criminal scum.  Like the apparently powerful, well-connected, belligerent jerk who strutted and boasted and threatened me while giving me the mission.  Or the creepy incestuous brother and sister pig farmers who I remember all too well from the single-player game; I didn't realize where I was until I'd walked in and was forced to accept their mission to kidnap and return to them a person I can only assume was a victim they'd abducted and who had managed to escape.  Eww.  I also discovered, to my great disappointment, that I couldn't kill them.  :/ 

Yeah, I've wanted to kill Shakey mid-sentence on more than one occasion while being briefed.  ......spit it out already!!  😁

On a serious note, I don't have a problem with dishonorable missions but I don't care for player / posse assassinations.  I won't accept them.  Being hunted is fine although that hasn't happened to me in a very long time and I have always escaped and/or successfully fended off my attackers.  ....but I don't like going after other players and it's really not worth the hassle most times.  

I did accept one once by accident and saw the posse was in a town nearby.  I decide to go for it.  They had no idea the event started (probably didn't know what the prompt meant) as they were simply standing in the street messing with NPCs.  I galloped in, obliterated the two players and rode out without missing a step.  I felt bad afterward but I'd be lying if I also didn't find it pretty funny.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kean_1 said:

I know.  I go around killing a  bunch of NPCs and not only does my honor level barely change (if at all), but I get a bounty less than $10.  I also have an uncontrollable urge to backhand other NPC riders just for fun / practice.  ;)

One time I went from full honorable to light red in one go by lassoing an NPC and dragging it behind my horse. Maybe try that? :)

(I was trying to do the "drag an enemy NPC 750m behind your horse" daily challenge. It didn't work, game didn't consider it an enemy I guess, heheh.)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, flu007 said:

One time I went from full honorable to light red in one go by lassoing an NPC and dragging it behind my horse. Maybe try that? :)

(I was trying to do the "drag an enemy NPC 750m behind your horse" daily challenge. It didn't work, game didn't consider it an enemy I guess, heheh.)

Shoot at the NPC but not hit him. He will turn red. Then lasso and drag him. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DNMNetTech said:

Shoot at the NPC but not hit him. He will turn red. Then lasso and drag him. 

Yeah, I suppose that would work. I usually just do the challenge with an actual enemy though, no shortage of those around. :)

This was more of a "crime of opportunity" thing. The NPC was hostile to another player near me, who must have angered him somehow, but then was messing around with him or didn't want to kill him or something. So I just had a go at it, instantly turned red, and pointlessly dragged the NPC behind my horse for several minutes, heheh.

On the stealing wagons and/or kidnapping... I believe the majority of those types of missions can be done with fists and lasso if you want to play an honourable outlaw type... though in some cases like the pig farmers your still likely accessory to murder (or something more vile)... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Freakshow9191 said:

Last option.  Go to the online menu and reload into camp. It may take a while, but less time than waiting out a 15 minute timer.  

This is usually what I do. Sometimes you get stuck on a long loading screen for some reasons but at least it doesn't take 15 minutes. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2020 at 4:47 PM, Kean_1 said:

Image result for cat playing with mouse gif

LOL I saw my brother's cat do that once. He had mice sneaking in the house through the garage. The cat was all proud he caught one, brought it in the kitchen, and within 3 seconds of putting it down in front of my brother, it took off. His wife was screaming and the cat slid across the floor right into the door going to the garage. Funniest thing I ever saw a cat do.

Anyways, as for the topic, I have had my share of issues with accidentally starting these missions and because there is no quit option anywhere (there really should be) I will just go to a new lobby. Nothing seems to change for my money, stats, etc. so you don't appear to get punished for it.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 5:09 PM, Freakshow9191 said:

Im full dishonorable player since some time and i like it. When i hunt it will go up a bit but after im done hunting im quickly going back to full outlaw just by playing. I have found out that the more cruel execution you make on an NPC or Player and the more ppl see it your honor will drop more. 

I became a psycho maniac with my playstyle and kill NPC's almost every time i come across one. I like to hogtie players as well and burn them, or my favorite - hammer them to death . So yeah i have no problems to maintain low honor. Just sux that it doesnt change much. 

• Like 1